The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What has happened to Digidesign? Redux
Old 21st November 2009
  #31
Moderator
 
narcoman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
(Since the responses forced my initial thread to be closed - for whatever reason - I thought I'd open it back up, and hopefully it will stay in bounds this time. Certainly it wouldn't have been closed because a member voiced his "opinion..." That would be Orwellian)

So like I was saying, as the company grows, customer service slows. I was a huge - HUGE - ProTools fanboy for nearly two decades. I know the company very well, but it's not the same today. I'm floored, and saddened, by the new monetarily-focused enterprise. Capitalism at work you say? No, it's not even remotely that simple. They're not the power or cable company. There's no monopoly. Logic is stepping up to the plate and all my coworkers are beginning to learn it (some already know and use it) so that we can convert. Can they afford this arrogance, and negligence?

But I have to say this about the other thread which was closed: a couple people pointed out the increasing growth of negative Digi threads on GS, but rather than take the logical angle that there's something happening to cause this - something going wrong - they've tagged it as increasing noise which makes it only less relevant. LESS relevant... That's a bizarre level of denial to me.
so whats the question? Nothing but good service from em at my end.....but im a repeat customer many times over so maybe they like to keep us sweet !
Old 21st November 2009
  #32
OK, maybe I haven't made the question terribly clear. I'm glad you mentioned it.

I was curious if others have experienced a change in Digidesign. I've been a rather serious customer for nearly 20 years, having bought nearly one of everything, so I'd consider myself familiar with the company, but things don't feel the same there anymore.

So, to be terribly clear: have you noticed any decline recently? Past couple years? Especially the past year? I won't go into my personal specifics - I'm just looking for a general consensus.
Old 21st November 2009
  #33
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucks View Post
You're the one who started with the editorial. Sorry you're not getting what you want.
I have patience. I never expected instant gratification. Unfortunately, looking at the content so far, very little is related to the topic. A lot of people pissing in my pool (so to speak) when I'm only asking to take a cool swim with people who understand. Remember that guy? The one who kept throwing water out of the pool, or other crap INTO it? I hated that guy.
Old 21st November 2009
  #34
Lives for gear
 
j-uk's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post

monetarily-focused enterprise.
You somehow thought they were a charity........................?
Old 21st November 2009
  #35
Lives for gear
 
barryjohns's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
I have patience. I never expected instant gratification. Unfortunately, looking at the content so far, very little is related to the topic. A lot of people pissing in my pool (so to speak) when I'm only asking to take a cool swim with people who understand. Remember that guy? The one who kept throwing water out of the pool, or other crap INTO it? I hated that guy.
Cut and run man, no one around here is going to give you a break. Sad, but true.
Old 21st November 2009
  #36
Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
PT LE - aint over rated either, H*** it aint even under rated because it aint rating at all. Reason, it sucks. Ad ADC to it and its good but the interfaces interacting with LE are meant as a taunting joke...
add ADC and the vast majority of LE users won't notice a difference.

Those who do complex bussing arrangements will.

Those who use UAD will.

Those who use the occasional high-latency plugins will (Autotune EVO being the one high latency plugin I use).

For the rest - the composers, those working with single mic sources - it won't make much difference.

I rate LE I'm afraid - it's made me more money than any other piece of software (maybe HD indirectly excluded).
Old 21st November 2009
  #37
Moderator
 
narcoman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
OK, maybe I haven't made the question terribly clear. I'm glad you mentioned it.

I was curious if others have experienced a change in Digidesign. I've been a rather serious customer for nearly 20 years, having bought nearly one of everything, so I'd consider myself familiar with the company, but things don't feel the same there anymore.

So, to be terribly clear: have you noticed any decline recently? Past couple years? Especially the past year? I won't go into my personal specifics - I'm just looking for a general consensus.
the only change ive really noticed is being able to phone them at any time of the day. They used to run 24/7 support.... very useful in a big session. Seems to have gone!!
Old 21st November 2009
  #38
Lives for gear
 
T_R_S's Avatar
Avid has 2 different 24/7 support offerings.

Avid Support Offerings
Old 21st November 2009
  #39
Moderator
 
narcoman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
Avid has 2 different 24/7 support offerings.

Avid Support Offerings
ah okay - it's a package now. I see...... Well that's good too.
Old 21st November 2009
  #40
Lives for gear
 
Geert van den Berg's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
So, to be terribly clear: have you noticed any decline recently? Past couple years? Especially the past year? I won't go into my personal specifics - I'm just looking for a general consensus.
If you don't go into detail this thread has no relevance, that's also why your other thread got closed... If someone here would have noticed any decline don't you think that someone would have started a thread? With specifics...
Old 21st November 2009
  #41
Lives for gear
 
KEYBEEETSSS's Avatar
 

Yeah I agree^^^^ A decline in what; the problem more so if anything, is that they've added another burden to themselves with PT essentials meaning they will get a lot of people with absolutely no clue of anything in regard to computers, PT, recording, singing, talking or anything else for that matter...

& then there is of course the other prob of complaining LE users who feel like Digi sucks because they haven't implemented ADC & other things that other DAWs have... How has DIGI declined, I don't know... Yeah the company is downsizing as any other comp would when everyone who has/will buy the major $$$ product has it & now they can't sell it much do to the fact that Native power/computers is kicking it's arse... So answering ur question, I say no, or should I just say NO I haven't noticed...
Old 21st November 2009
  #42
Gear Guru
 

I have not noticed a decline either. I handle all the Pro Tools installations, upgrades and maintenance for the college where I teach as well as my own 2 rigs, several client's rigs, and the gear at another studio where I am on staff.

Not only have I not noticed a decline, I have been quite pleased with their recent products and the service I have gotten, and most importantly, the lack of need for service that I have been experiencing overall.

Reading about layoffs and departures and the like is not the same thing as experiencing a decline on the consumer level. In case you haven't noticed, we are in a Recession. People are not spending money, companies are slimming down across the entire planet. Tougher times bring out more sour grapes, hence the increase in the noise level and hysteria.

Sorry if my answer does not contribute to your 'consensus', but if you are truly asking a disinterested question, you should value all replies equally.
Old 21st November 2009
  #43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkham View Post
i would suggest this thread be moved to the "Moan Zone"
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipass View Post
I suggest at least 30 more digi whiner threads
OK!
Old 22nd November 2009
  #44
Lives for gear
 
-silent-sam-'s Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nati_Dred View Post

I would argue that the "something that's happening" is that more and more amateurs are signing up for GS accounts.
I think I agree with this.... I had a friend ask me, would I ever recommend logic over PT.

My answer was something along the lines of :

"It seems like a-lot of Low End or Prosumer, engineers are getting fed up with Pro Tools and switching to different software... A-lot of those guys really seem to like Logic...... However for the most part (not always) it seems to me that "PRO" engineers still use Pro Tools and just don't talk about it anymore."
Old 22nd November 2009
  #45
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryjohns View Post
To the original poster, yes Digi sucks these days. What talent they actually took the time to recruit has left for better companies; Max, Scott, others...
I'm still here, and I feel very optimistic about the future at Avid/Digidesign.


Elambo, I'm sorry you've had a bad experience. I would love to hear more about this and see if there's anything we can do to make things right. Change can be difficult and usually comes with some hiccups along the way, but things are moving in the right direction.

With the continuing convergence of audio and video in the creative space, reorganizing as we have is the best way for Avid to leverage all its talent, technologies and innovations across the entire organization. As I said recently on another thread, Avid is a leaner, more agile and collaborative company than it was a year ago, and I believe the changes being made are positioning the company much better into the future.
Old 22nd November 2009
  #46
Gear Nut
 
AnalogueRazor's Avatar
 

Digi seems to be focusing on trying to expand their market outside of pure recording. Most of the improvements and new features in PT8 were for composing, what with VIs and midi/notation stuff.
Also, Eleven Rack could potentially open up a large market for Digi/Avid, since there are literally thousands of times more guitarists than recording engineers. It will take some time and probably a couple product revisions for that to take off, but if it does there could be a whole lot more people to sell PT to. If we see Eleven as the new POD, protools could become a much bigger name than it is even now.
Add in PT essentials (which makes me die a little inside, I mean a mic with a headphone jack? really?) and they are really focusing EVERYTHING they have right now on finding new markets with hardware to sell what they already programmed.

Whether they will be successful with that, well...

But for how they see it, the prosumer market between HD and LE is not where the money is. And that is where the most complaints are coming from. Maybe more companies will go all Mackie on them and start reverse engineering some more options into the market.
Old 22nd November 2009
  #47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geert van den Berg View Post
If you don't go into detail this thread has no relevance, that's also why your other thread got closed... If someone here would have noticed any decline don't you think that someone would have started a thread? With specifics...
Am I not allowed to ask if anyone has noticed a decline at Digidesign?

Does the question have to be, "Has anyone else had the exact same issues as me?"

My question, as stated and restated, is whether or not anyone has noticed changes at Digi. Simple. I didn't realize an explanation was required.

Full disclosure: I'm not hiding anything - saving the specific details was meant to be a courtesy to Digidesign, a courtesy you've turned into a thread deletion. I think that's an error.

If I were looking for Digidesign to address specific issues, I wouldn't post on GS. So, this is a search for the general consensus of Digidesign users - whether they've witnessed any decline. It's an entirely valid question just as it is.
Old 22nd November 2009
  #48
Thanks, Max. As I mentioned above, I was trying to save the details out of respect, but there are those who simply MUST pull them out. They're irrelevant in the context of my specific thread.

I've been dealing with your company directly. Perhaps I'll send you a PM as well.
Old 23rd November 2009
  #49
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Thanks, Max. As I mentioned above, I was trying to save the details out of respect, but there are those who simply MUST pull them out. They're irrelevant in the context of my specific thread.

I've been dealing with your company directly. Perhaps I'll send you a PM as well.
I appreciate that. Please feel free to PM me.
Old 23rd November 2009
  #50
This is why I made the full transition to Logic 2 years ago. I use to work directly w/ Digi when the Company I was w/ was their Largest Reseller in North America. They coaxed us into Destroying our on Industry.
πŸ“ Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear