The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Protocol Question
Old 17th May 2003
Lives for gear

Unhappy Protocol Question

I assume that many of you are accomplished musicians as well as engineers - so I am asking for opinions...

Made a deal with a singer/songwriter to do all guitars and bass work for his project...no problem, but come mix down time this fellow decides to change the entire mood, feel, tempo, and everything else on the song...changes almost as radical between the 1st and 2nd "Laylas".... and of course wants me to do his entire re-do...

Problem is, the fellow has paid me already for the one song, but the remaining 9 songs are somewhat in limbo until the issue is resolved...between playing, engineering, studio time, blah blah blah my hourly is next to nothing...

To further mess things up, I occassionally play live with this guy as well...

When faced with similar situations, when do you guys draw a line in the proverbial sand and say "enough is enough?"

Thanks
Old 18th May 2003
Gear Nut

Seems to me like it is an issue to you otherwise you wouldn't have posted.

Business is business, so you will have to force the issue IMO.

On the other hand, does the guy bring you work on the paying gig thing? You have decide on balance whether you are due extra remuneration or whether you write it off against your musical relationship with the guy.

If I'm not getting paid, it's either because I'm doing it for fun, or I benefit in other ways quid pro quo.
Old 18th May 2003
Gear Addict

Re: Protocol Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Midlandmorgan
Problem is, the fellow has paid me already for the one song, but the remaining 9 songs are somewhat in limbo until the issue is resolved...between playing, engineering, studio time, blah blah blah my hourly is next to nothing...
Put the "problem" (Layla) song on hold and continue with the other 9 and insist on getting paid as you go. The problem/Layla song needs to be sidetracked 'til you can BOTH put it in perspective. The issues may go away for one of you as the project proceeds. If your issues can't be resolved, then you have to ask yourself if you want to offer clients your services as a player in the future. I find it very hard to play and engineer on the same session, especially when tracking basics, it's just wearing too many hats. Good luck!
Old 18th May 2003
Gear Addict

It's a difficult line to draw, but on the face of It it sure seems that you are justified in discussing further renumeration. If the budjet is already shakey, you may have to compromise for an increased points type of thing. But those type of situations can basically mean you will get zip any how. I think it's a big problem for alot of us in one form or another. It sure would be nice if musicians actually had any money ;-). Hope it works out. take care Logan
Old 18th May 2003
Moderator emeritus

Something that I've begun doing with custom projects, and especially turnkey custom projects, is to turn to the client when we're done with a certain task - guitars, keys, or even lead vocals (But especially the mixes), and ask, "Are you happy? Speak now or forever hold your peace.". This reminds them that we aren't going to go back later if they change their minds. Or at least, if they do, more money will change hands...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search