The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
-----------Gibson Offices Raided by US Fish & Wildlife Service!!!
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monobasser View Post
you might need to, because you're not communicating very well.
It's better that I don't. I just had a moment where I wrote what I was really thinking. I usually keep my personal thoughts to myself. I have a hard time allowing seemingly idiotic statements to fly and on this forum, they're plenty. Please forgive me. About every 296-300 I fold.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

OK, now I feel kinda bad about all these Lemur-pelt guitar straps...

Kidding.

Interesting about these woods and varnishes and their effect on tone. The 72 Rickenbacker bass in my avatar uses bubinga for the fretboard and automotive conversion varnish for the finish. All those Rick guitar finishes are incredible, and I believe they polish better and hold up better over time then nitro.

I wonder how much experimentation has been done with these fretboard woods...seems like a lot of us just accept a lot of traditional luthier wisdom just because we don't know any better...but I've got a hunch there are a lot of great woods out there that haven't even been tried in the past 30 years.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

a while back I was working on a rough proto type it had a ribbon bridge ( a therman type sound )
it didn't work so well on all the strings works OK on one string
and tunable/bendable neck. its like a board stretcher
they use board stretchers quit often in the field of carpentry and I thought Id use the same concept for a guitar neck
you can bet its a piece of ****.
but it was the concept I was after

would and could be quite cool just needs more detailed design work and a real guitar builder
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Santillan View Post
whether there's a big difference in tone between different types of rosewood, different types of maple, or different types of mahogany isn't really verifiable. For instance, You couldn't truly or honestly claim that the sound difference between mahogany from South America and African Mahogany is due to the different type of mahogany because there are big differences in sound between 2 pieces of the exact same type of wood from the same tree. It would be impossible to eliminate enough variables to quantify the statement 'there is a huge difference in sound between all different rosewoods.' A more accurate statement would be "there is a big difference in sound between all woods whether they're the same type or not."
I can see you've never played a vintage D-28... Adirondack spruce top with Brazilian Rosewood back and sides. Heaven. Like I say, sorry for the lemurs but daddy's got to play.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Thumbs up I second that emotion!

Let's have it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben B View Post
The Feds should rescue Studiovision from their evil clutches while they're at it.

-Ben B
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dee View Post
I can see you've never played a vintage D-28... Adirondack spruce top with Brazilian Rosewood back and sides. Heaven. Like I say, sorry for the lemurs but daddy's got to play.
Age is another variable you can add to the mix.

I'm NOT saying that there isn't a difference in sound between drastically different wood types.

I AM saying that there are too many variables to claim that the tonal difference between a piece of Brazilian rosewood and African rosewood is due to the sub genus it belongs to. The sound of the wood will be affected by anything from how long it was dried/seasoned (for you woodworkers), to the different densities of wood from 2 different trees (the density of wood varies within every tree, so 2 pieces of wood from the same tree can sound drastically different), to the amount of glue used to glue the fret board on, the different amount of sanding done on each piece of wood, age and condition of the strings on the guitar, even comb filtering and psycho acoustics and a million other variables that I'm not going to take the time to list.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
And nobody wants to talk about the guitars they make out of baby seals.
I know- Les Paul is almost an anagram of seal pup
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Madagascar Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dee View Post
Indeed , great combination of woods . Tone monsters for sure .

My Gibson AJ- Madagascar W/ Adirondack Top is beyond anything else I've heard .

Too bad all the great tone wood is disappearing .

Whats next ? Chinese chop stick Wood ?
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Feds should rescue Studiovision from their evil clutches while they're at it.

-Ben B

thumbsup YES!!! I would love to see a kick ass update of Studio Vision back on the market.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretschman View Post
OMG !!!!!

Does this mean that I'm Next ??????

Paul Fey - Madagascar Doublecut #061

Myka Guitars
I MUST say that is one seriously PRETTY instument!

I see by the specs that the finish is Tru-Oil.

Did you prime it with shellac (or something) first, or was it just strait Tru-Oil?
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

-Ben B

lol.+1... still haven't forgiven them and will never for this. Henry should go to jail.. :-)
rsp
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiostout View Post
Free Gibsons for everybody!
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Nut

Does anyone know *what* species of rosewood they are talking about?

I had, to this point believed rosewood came from India. Didn't realize there was multiple species either.

In any event, I'd like to know how I could discern the Madagascar stuff from the India stuff, if anyone knows how to tell.
Old 19th November 2009
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL View Post
In Canada here , B C we have tree planting programs to reforest what has been cut down . Which is logical . Now why doesn't Madagascar do the same If they know there is a demand for the wood ? Just people being greedy and stupid with no foresight into the future .

Israel was able to change it's climate from desert to one that has planted thousands of trees which actually helped with the heat over there also they are the 3rd largest exporter of flowers . So if a once desert nation could do it why cant the rest follow suit ?
Ya, and they also own the U.S.A...we should take notes from them!!!
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flmason View Post
Does anyone know *what* species of rosewood they are talking about?

I had, to this point believed rosewood came from India. Didn't realize there was multiple species either.

In any event, I'd like to know how I could discern the Madagascar stuff from the India stuff, if anyone knows how to tell.

found this:
Welcome to Paul Woolson Guitars
rsp
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
OMG !!!!!

Myka Guitars
WoW! how much does that double cut weigh? I'd LOVE to play and hear it!
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

very light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerve Nickels View Post
WoW! how much does that double cut weigh? I'd LOVE to play and hear it!
It's very light , I had it chambered on the top and bottom and left the center solid .

Those are Lollar P-90's . each one is wound with 8 % less than the one in front of it .

Oil finish .

I play it on a custom overdrive Amp loaded with NOS tubes ,
W/ GEC KT-77 output tubes .

The sound is really focused , woody , and wonderful , that I always laugh while watching others when they hear it . It's a jaw dropping P-90 growl .
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post
I MUST say that is one seriously PRETTY instument!

I see by the specs that the finish is Tru-Oil.

Did you prime it with shellac (or something) first, or was it just strait Tru-Oil?
Just the oil .

Very woody tone , nice growl to it .

I wanted it to resonate like crazy .
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

heh, heh, heh ....they said wood......
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff16years View Post
heh, heh, heh ....they said wood......
indeed it sounds much better when you stretch it

strings dont sound to good when they arent stretched
wood is allot like that
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Whats next ? Chinese chop stick Wood ?
Actually you're not far off the mark: Harmony Central®:Yamaha Announces World's First All-Bamboo Guitar
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

ever pour glue on a bird?
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicola View Post
Can you imagine a Les Paul or SG with mable fretboards? They'll look even uglier than they already do. At least Fender guitars look good with a maple fretboard.
No need to use your imagination
Attached Thumbnails
-----------Gibson Offices Raided by US Fish & Wildlife Service!!!-ugly-les-paul.jpg  
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

the maple neck would look a little snappier with maple head stock

and it would sound mabey 20 times better with a tunable neck
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Santillan View Post
.' A more accurate statement would be "there is a big difference in sound between all woods whether they're the same type or not."

sure even moisture content plays a big role. so many mother earthly variables. Usually it is a generalization. Since most would say all les pauls sound similar and most strats sound similar. Though I have a Korina Les Paul which sounds much different than than say a mahogony/maple Standard. I have an ash strat which sounds different than maple. I know the newer strats made of poplar or whatever are thin sounding. but yes wood even form the same species sounds tonally different even if a slight difference.

but in 'general' woods are in a certain class and they have a certain sound within their class. I would not be one to say eastern maple sounds the same maple found in washington state or whatever but I would say all maple sounds different than all mahogany. Just like I think ebony sounds much different than rosewood. But I do not think Brazialian rosewood sounds different than indian atleast with a fretboard
maybe a large slab to cut a body would sound different. but not a fingerboard.
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Maniac

So nobody's ever kicked the face off a badger?
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post
But I do not think Brazialian rosewood sounds different than indian atleast with a fretboard
maybe a large slab to cut a body would sound different. but not a fingerboard.
The tone woods come into play more with an acoustic guitar than an electric...
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
OMG !!!!!

Myka Guitars
Great. Another guitar to keep me awake at night. Thanks a LOT. Stupid beautiful guitars.
And that portugese thingy on the website is out of control. Did those "tuners" come from Area 51 or something? I'd LOVE to hear that thing. Beautiful, beautiful instruments.

Off topic. Apologies.

(I just had to say something. Come on. Those guitars are insane.)
Old 22nd November 2009
Gear Head

bump

gibson should come out n tell us wat happened exactly

and give discount
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search