The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
-----------Gibson Offices Raided by US Fish & Wildlife Service!!!
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Now THAT'S a story to tell your grandkids....son, I remember one day when I was
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiospace View Post
raided by the Dept. of Fish and Wildlife Service
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

In a few weeks Obama is going to Copenhagen to say the USA, world's largest emitter, is not signing anything to his country commiting to reduce its emissions and that americans and their Congress don't care about climate issues if it's going to cost them money.

Meanwhile, EU citizens have to pay all sorts of enviromental taxes, pay twice as much for gasoline, recicle everything by law, etc etc.

It's very sad to see the very telling comments like "screw the lemurs" and similar ones here.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Thanks, Obama.
Yes, thank you Obama for reestablishing the concept of an independent AG. Maybe one day Americans will again learn the benefits of the separation of powers.

Or maybe we'll be fortunate when the Cracker Taliban get's installed in the White House and we can bend over for Jesus.

In the meantime, if guilty, Gibson can go fvck itself.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Polyester ages "better?
No.
Polyester ages differently, not better.
It doesn't let the wood breathe, so the wood doesn't age properly.
It doesn't get those lovely check marks when it gets old.
It's prone to ugly chipping.
It's much thicker and heavier and doesn't resonate properly.
But it is a lot easier to spray on a production line and it dries quickly.
More f-ing progress - who needs it?

Well, better is subjective. What I meant by better is that it doesn't show it's age as quickly, drastically or as destructivly. Some like Nitro for it's ambering, checking, etc. Some want their finishes to be as clean and "new" in appearance for as long as possible. As far as Poly being heavier, depends more on how heavey they are applied which is heavier. Poly is definitly cheaper in the long run from a manufacturing stance.

As far as Nitro being illegal? It's not illegal to buy or spray as long as safety and clean up guidlines are followed. Compare it to flourecent light bulbs, their not illegal to buy or use. But improper disposal is very much a crime.

As far as birds eye maple being caused by disease or being a weaker inferior wood!! That is an incorrect statement as well. The correct info is out there, and it's not from bird's pecking the tree's either. If your going to post links to prove your right, atleast read them first!
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Burl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
A burl (British bur or burr) is a tree growth in which the grain has grown in a deformed manner. It is commonly found in the form of a rounded outgrowth on a tree trunk or branch that is filled with small knots from dormant buds. Burls are the product of a cambium. A burl results from a tree undergoing some form of stress. It may be environmental or introduced by humans. Most burls grow beneath the ground, attached to the roots as a type of malignancy that is generally not discovered until the tree dies or falls over. Such burls sometimes appear as groups of bulbous protrusions connected by a system of rope-like roots. Almost all burl wood is covered by bark, even if it is underground. Insect infestation and certain types of mold infestation are the most common causes of this condition
Bird's eye figure - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

structurally I couldn't see birds eye being as stable , as it doesn't contain the long and uniform grains

I thought birds eye was a form of burl , but what do I know

I always thought Gibson had a good regrowth system , but I dont know

any how this company is so deep in American history it saddens me to hear about
these issues as I am not sure that I understand completely the issue at hand

but lets hope Gibson moves ahead and once again paves new roads to leading future manufacturing practices
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

I'm in Nashville today for the E'street show. This is looking like a pretty minor bump for Gibson. The real story should be out by next week. I'll leave it at that.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jindrich View Post
It's very sad to see the very telling comments like "screw the lemurs" and similar ones here.
The dfegadlemur is a threat to cute little vertebrates all over Madagascar and should die asap.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Sadly, it looks like in the near future guitars will be good for nothing but clubbing lemurs, baby seals etc.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicola View Post
Wow. Yeah, ecological destruction and political instability are awesome as long as they make guitars out of good wood.

BTW, you're "supposed" buddy ("of course" you don't know him) that smuggled illegal wood out of brazil sounds like a "real" story. Not something to be proud of. And not really all that brilliant.

In Canada here , B C we have tree planting programs to reforest what has been cut down . Which is logical . Now why doesn't Madagascar do the same If they know there is a demand for the wood ? Just people being greedy and stupid with no foresight into the future .

Israel was able to change it's climate from desert to one that has planted thousands of trees which actually helped with the heat over there also they are the 3rd largest exporter of flowers . So if a once desert nation could do it why cant the rest follow suit ?

Last edited by ARIEL; 18th November 2009 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
Sadly, it looks like in the near future guitars will be good for nothing but clubbing lemurs, baby seals etc.
Still...

...Try THAT with a plugin!

Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post
Still...

...Try THAT with a plugin!

yes you are right - I stand corrected. thru ampfarm, line6, pod etc. what's the difference anyway.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jindrich View Post
In a few weeks Obama is going to Copenhagen to say the USA, world's largest emitter, is not signing anything to his country commiting to reduce its emissions and that americans and their Congress don't care about climate issues if it's going to cost them money.

Meanwhile, EU citizens have to pay all sorts of enviromental taxes, pay twice as much for gasoline, recicle everything by law, etc etc.

A large number - if not a majority - of Americans DO care about the environment and would like for there to be action taken to preserve it - the problem is, our elected officials are corrupt and under the command of corporate overlords and their lobbyists who, though unelected and unaccountable to the American people, are the de facto rulers of our nation. It's a very sad state of affairs.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
yes you are right - I stand corrected. thru ampfarm, line6, pod etc. what's the difference anyway.
Oh, yeah!

I love the CluboCaster VSTi through the SealMauler amp simulator plug!

Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Robert, with all due respect, you're wrong.

A Les Paul Custom - a PROPER one (in recent years some guitars bear the "custom label that don't meet the real spec) is significantly different from a standard - it's not just the ebony fingerboard.

A proper Custom has a 100% mahogany body - including the top. A Standard has a maple top. This gives the standard a significantly brighter tone than a Custom, and also is the reason that Customs tend to be so friggin' heavy.

Furthermore, you appear to have some confusion about woods. Rosewood is not the same as ebony. Ebony is much harder and denser than either rosewood or mahogany, which means it is not a prone to wear when used for fingerboards. Rosewood is harder and denser than Mahogany, which is actually comparatively soft. A mahogany fingerboard will wear out fairly rapidly and require replacement much sooner than rosewood, which will last longer than mahogany but not as long as ebony.
I'm wrrrrrrrrrrng? why thank you. I feel like the Fonz saying I'm wrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrong?

I was making a simple comparison that went over your..... well forget that part

I know about wood dude I've built les pauls before, painted them, replaced finger boards, refretted about 200 of them and replaced the neck binding on about 50 after refret. My point was simply how much difference in sound is there between ebony board and rosewood? sure there is a difference one might say rosewood is warmer? maybe since it is a softer wood. But I was simply saying the difference between lets say brazialian or and indian rosewood tonal differences are subtle if any. The brazailian looks cooler but tone? it's a marketing thing now. Sorry I used the LP Custom as an example should have noted a newer custom not a 50's model jeeesh.

99% of Gibson pauls since 52 or whatever have a 100% solid mahogany body except the 70's models which are sandwiched and weigh 3 tons Custom , Deluxe or Standard. Most customs since the 70's have maple tops. Look at Ace frehleys custom from the 70's all maple. I know you love Kiss

Quote:
Furthermore, you appear to have some confusion about woods.
no I don't

Quote:
Rosewood is not the same as ebony. Ebony is much harder and denser
than either rosewood or mahogany,
No confusion sorry none at all.
I know, just ask my table saw, band saw in fact ask my CNC router he ain't too happy cutting ebony finger boards or slotting them for frets. Go through router bits like toothpicks cutting that stuff.

Quote:
A proper Custom has a 100% mahogany body - including the top. A Standard has a maple top. This gives the standard a significantly brighter tone than a Custom, and also is the reason that Customs tend to be so friggin' heavy.
90 % of customs have a maple top sure the original Black Beauty's from the 50's had mahogony. How many did they make?
like 1000? How many customs since? 2000000? which all pretty much have a maple top.

Gibson - Gibson Guitar: Electric, Acoustic and Bass Guitars, Baldwin Pianos

(with all due respect)

"The body is crafted with a hand-carved maple top"

John I hope I have cleared up any discrepencies and/or poor analogies in my original rosewood post
I apologize for not being concise in the original post and thank you for pointing that out.

So now the question now is , does mother of pearl inlay found on the custom sound different than the celluloid ones found on Standards? I wonder?
Old 18th November 2009
So, has anyone actually tried coating a lemur with various finishes and seeing which one holds up better?
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbakron View Post
So you like destroying species,
no I never said that

Quote:
stating absolutley false untrue statements , and you report people for saying the word shi$%^t on website!!
No I said next time I will report? and I will so watch your language too

Quote:
Your like Jon Mccain in a prom dress!! Just kidding-
? why the personal attack? seriously? your? you're?

Quote:
but there is HUGE difference in sound on all different rosewoods
no there isn't. Not with an 8mm thick or whatever fret board thickness
sure if you made a body out of rosewood or a neck you could differentiate tonal differences
fretboard? no way can the average person hear such subtle differences

Quote:
and the les pauls are completely different, body wood and all. Fret boards are key part of the sound!!
?
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
So, has anyone actually tried coating a lemur with various finishes and seeing which one holds up better?
two pack poly is the most durable. acrylic lacquer is more durable than nitro but you wouldn't paint a gtr
with it. The newer water based lacquer seems more durable than nitro

The concept behind nitro is it is porous for lack of a better word. It supposedly let's the wood breath. Poly is like taking a hefty trash bag and putting over a gtr body. It kills the tone It does not let the wood breath and supposedly the gtr does not resonate like it would with a softer more porous finish (like nitro). That is the concept or the myth. I am not saying is true so I don't get flamed of course like my rosewood comments. Some just like the look of a buffed Nitro finish better and that is reason enough. I think

Original Nitro Lacquer was originally made from nitrated cotton or other organic compounds. Poly is synthetic. I'm not saying Nitro sounds better many people and builders think it does. I think it looks better than poly after it has melted in and you get that vintage sunk in finish like on old 59 pauls or whatever.

some people like the look of poly? It is all personal preference. I think PRS gtrs look damn good. But I like a thin nitro finish better like on old Gibsons
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL View Post
Israel was able to change it's climate from desert to one that has planted thousands of trees which actually helped with the heat over there also they are the 3rd largest exporter of flowers . So if a once desert nation could do it why cant the rest follow suit ?
oh really great example

****Israel stealing water from Palestine*****The WE News Archives*******
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Anyone else think this might be bad karma coming back to Gibson for suing PRS over the single cut ?
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Anybody want to take a stab at how long it will take this thread to degenerate to the point where the name of a certain German political figure's name is lobbed into it?

Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Endangered wood? LOL

Just grow some more, it's not like it's habitat is disappearing
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

who hitler?

i hope someone had their money on the next post
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislpp View Post
Endangered wood? LOL

Just grow some more, it's not like it's habitat is disappearing

that's the way I look at it. Don't they have tree/plant steroids now to enhance growth? Instead of HGH they can develop TGH tree growth hormone. It could decrease evapotranspiration so the tree could retain more water during photosynthesis and increase growth? but then again that would decrease O2 in the air which would kill us. so maybe a bad idea.

Plant a tree...... Be happy. I wonder if all the people on this thread concerned about endagered wood are gonna
have Christmas tree this year? hmmmm........ I also wonder if they still print paper track sheets? or use paper napkins?
paper cups when they go get a cup of Java? I wonder if they still use money? after all that is a hybrid of cloth and paper

I just planted 4 trees in my yard over the last couple years cost me over $500 including having the landscaper put em in - 2 maple a pine tree and an oak (which the town actually gave and planted for me)

I love trees. I thank gawd for my Acrylic B.C. Rich Mockingbird. Saved a tree with that bad boy
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicola View Post
Wow. Yeah, ecological destruction and political instability are awesome as long as they make guitars out of good wood.

BTW, you're "supposed" buddy ("of course" you don't know him) that smuggled illegal wood out of brazil sounds like a "real" story. Not something to be proud of. And not really all that brilliant.
You, my friend, are a barking moonbat. The dots you just tried to connect are as ridiculous as,

1. Murder is bad.
2. A black teenager murdered another teenager.
3. Black teenagers are bad.

The real story is that usually anyone that farms trees plants new ones to replace them. It's a business. Any idiot could figure this out. Your signature gives you away though. I won't even get started on that.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Funny first they need an investor "running out of cash" the next news is they have the FBI in their offices??

A world leader in building guitars not a small company is in double trouble!!

Oh Sorry yeah SRV played Fender!!!
Old 18th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Set Surgeon View Post
You, my friend, are a barking moonbat. The dots you just tried to connect are as ridiculous as,

1. Murder is bad.
2. A black teenager murdered another teenager.
3. Black teenagers are bad.

The real story is that usually anyone that farms trees plants new ones to replace them. It's a business. Any idiot could figure this out. Your signature gives you away though. I won't even get started on that.
That assumes that they are farming trees as apposed to just cutting down forests, which is probably a lot higher ROI if you can get away with it.
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Set Surgeon View Post
Your signature gives you away though. I won't even get started on that.
you might need to, because you're not communicating very well.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

whether there's a big difference in tone between different types of rosewood, different types of maple, or different types of mahogany isn't really verifiable. For instance, You couldn't truly or honestly claim that the sound difference between mahogany from South America and African Mahogany is due to the different type of mahogany because there are big differences in sound between 2 pieces of the exact same type of wood from the same tree. It would be impossible to eliminate enough variables to quantify the statement 'there is a huge difference in sound between all different rosewoods.' A more accurate statement would be "there is a big difference in sound between all woods whether they're the same type or not."

Quote:
So you like destroying species, stating absolutley false untrue statements , and you report people for saying the word shi$%^t on website!! Your like Jon Mccain in a prom dress!! Just kidding- but there is HUGE difference in sound on all different rosewoods and the les pauls are completely different, body wood and all. Fret boards are key part of the sound!! It would be nice for our great grand kids to be able to play guitars not molded from plastic. WHOEVER SAID LES PAULS ARE UGLY IS BIG GIANT TOOL WITH NO TASTE!!
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post
True dat.

...Just one more reason to outlaw lead-filled snowshoes!

(WHAP!!!)
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

OMG !!!

OMG !!!!!

Does this mean that I'm Next ??????

Paul Fey - Madagascar Doublecut #061

Myka Guitars
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search