The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
THEY NEVER USE THEM (Signature series)
Old 15th November 2009
outofphase
THEY NEVER USE THEM (Signature series)

Hi guys,

I was looking around and found a new mic from a respected engineer and then this thought came to my mind:

Have you ever noticed that all our heroes that endorse a product or that give their name to them never use that stuff in real life?

I mean, Richie Sambora never records with his many signature series (Krammer, Fender, ovation, etc, etc,) instead, he always use expensive and time proved vintage guitars, I remember an ad by Zoom in the 90's showing Richie Sambora with a little zoom device, well the reality was that he use tons of vintage amps from Marshalls to Fenders.

Chris Lord Alge: He doesn't use those waves emulations, he use the real thing, in fact the CLA bundle shows an LA2a which he doesn't even has installed on his racks!! I remember in the 90's an ad from Audiotechnica where he and his brother Tom endorse those mics. Well, years later you can read any interview by them and they never mention Audio Technica mics!

My favorite is JJP, Waves shows a video where he admits that Digital would never sounds the same as hardware, and the whole interview is about all his hardware, console, etc, etc. But the ad is about plug ins.

Or what about Phil Collins and Tony Banks on an ad from the 90's showing a 01w when the reality is that they have used many keyboards on their records except a 01w.

Or all the great engineers that endorsed Nuendo a few years ago (Ed Cherney, Filipetti, Ainlay, etc, etc.), I saw a recent interview by "Recordproducer.com" where it shows Ed Cherney using Protools

Or all the Digitech stuff like the Jimmy Hendrix line, Jimmy died before digitech even exists for god sake, or the Digitech Eric Clapton's pedal Crossroad, do you really think that Eric Clapton use a digitech pedal?

The true is that we always fall into this marketing "thing" and buy everything endorsed by our heroes, when in fact, they doesn't use that stuff!!

oOp.
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Guru

Johnny A does indeed play HIS signature model guitar!
Old 15th November 2009
Be careful... you're gonna make me cynical.

heh
Old 15th November 2009
outofphase

Ok.
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

I do think there is truth in what you speak, but I also think there are some differences in endorsements, and signature series.

Like DAW endorsements, I think many engineers and producers jump around on different DAWs these days and there may be a difference between what someone uses in a big studio during tracking and what their favorite mixdown / editing software might be.

I also know that in the world of instruments there are many different levels of "endorsement" only the really big acts get gear for free, many times it is a steep discount for the b level guys.

As for signature series anything be it a plug-in or a guitar, that is simply product, no more no less, its what can we have your input in designing, put your name on, and sell. And in most cases, not...what do you use.

Also I think the higher end you go, the more likely the musician or producer is likely to use it.

The Bruce Swedien mic, I am pretty sure I he uses, but this is not a vanity piece, its a "I want this, someone build it for me", vs a Richie Sambora "Signature" Squire Strat.
XJ
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

how about the $150 Chad Smith Pearl snare drum??

or the Pearl Chad Smith Limited Edition 5 Piece Drum Set for $900

riiiiggght

fuuck you and your crappy drums, Pearl.
Old 15th November 2009
outofphase
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
Johnny A does indeed play HIS signature model guitar!
Ok, live he should , but can you confirm that he use that guitar in the studio? tutt

Also he switched HIS signature guitar for a trusty les paul in montreal
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Mark Knopfler has played his signature Strat during the last tours!
Old 15th November 2009
outofphase
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeters86 View Post
Again, live... he has to, but if you own one of the most amazing guitar colection in the world, would you prefer to record with a signature series guitar or with a $69k 1962 fiesta red Stratocaster?

BTW, he use many guitars live:

Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofphase View Post
Again, live... he has to, but if you own one of the most amazing guitar colection in the world, would you prefer to record with a signature series guitar or with a $69k 1962 fiesta red Stratocaster?

I think he has used his signature guitar for recordings in the past, but I might be wrong. I remember seeing a picture of him in the studio during a session whilst recording with a sig strat. But he has used a '54 strat on the last record most of the time I think. But he also tours with that one!
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Ok, live he should , but can you confirm that he use that guitar in the studio? tutt
a lot of so-called signature models are just another strat with a black paint job

nobody should be expected to use a signature model religiously for every application, but considering that his signature model is the first new 'ground up' guitar for Gibson in 40 years, and considering the extent of his input into its design, I bet he uses way more than most.
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

wow. that doesnt even look right.
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydego View Post
It sounded right on the another brick in the wall solo
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydego View Post
Knopfler has used the Les Paul extensively on his last records. He uses great amps with it as well, like the Komet and Reinhardt. Great sounding stuff if you'd ask me. At least he develops and isn't stuck with his Strat tone.
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

I work with quite a few artists that have signature series products. Its usually a mix and match of using their sig model and old classics.
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Maniac
OK guys, we must make the difference between a signature pedal and a signature guitar... A signature guitar is the artist working with a company to craft them the guitar THEY want... With the specs THEY seek for... Pedals and other gear are just a way to package the ''sound of the artist'' which he obviously did not design, but still put his name on it, not considering a couple of exception of artists who REALLY worked with techs at the company to forge the sound they really want... Steve Vai uses his Morley Bad Horsie pedals... On the other hand, I doubt Clapton gives the slightest crap about the Digitech one... So to me, the equation is easily resolved through this simple ideology: If the artist ordered something special form a company, he will obviously be most likely to use it, whereas an artist being asked to put his name on a product that a company developed to emulate his sound will be most likely NOT to use it, as this is just an other way to sell digital pedals to Clapton fans... Cheers!
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Maniac
Ho! And by the way, I own a Fender Marcus Miller Signature Jazz Bass... He uses the exact same... down to the NONE-Fender Badass Bridge II...
Old 16th November 2009
Old 16th November 2009
I have never been a fan of the signature series thing, but I did buy a Geddy Lee Fender Bass because it's a killer bass for the money, though you couldn't pay me to to listen to a Rush album front to back these days...
I just saw the movie I Love You Man and Geddy actually plays that bass on stage (the guys also slappa da bass on one in their garage too). I was a little surprised as I always remembered him as playing a Richenbacher, but the google image searches show him with his signature bass a lot. I guess it makes sense though as it is an amazing instrument in it's own right.

I always founf it more humorous with the drum endorsements though as you get guys in multi-platinum bands in ads with $500 Tama Rockstar kits... uh, yeah, they're not out touring on $5,000 kits right?
Old 16th November 2009
Quote:
Hi guys,

I was looking around and found a new mic from a respected engineer and then this thought came to my mind:

Have you ever noticed that all our heroes that endorse a product or that give their name to them never use that stuff in real life?
I think you're mixing up "endorsements" and "signature series".

If someone's endorsing a product - "my name's eric clapton and I play strats because they're great, here's the model I play" - then I think you're entitled to be a bit annoyed if it turns out that's not true. You can't possibly complain at EC using a non-fender guitar if the situation demands it (much like Mark Knopfler with the Les Paul - which as someone has already pointed out, has been a much more common guitar for him post DS - and of course since the mid 90s his main guitar hasn't been a strat), but if they've got a signature series they should at least be using one live at times.

The other aspect though is the "get my tone by using my gear". Hence the JJP series - of course JJP doesn't need the plugins, he owns the originals! the plugins are for those of us who can't afford or obtain originals. Same thing for all the waves "endorsee" products, the Jimi Hendrix pedals, the EC pedal pictured earlier - you're missing the point a little!

Likewise with the "budget" versions of guitars - Joe Satriani definitely plays his custom model Ibanez, but he doesn't use the bottom of the range model does he? that's for those who can't afford or justify the cost of the more expensive models. Likewise all the fender endorsees with more than one model, the Santana PRS, etc etc.
Old 19th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by rectifier View Post
It sounded right on the another brick in the wall solo
I always had that uncomfortably numb feeling about David Gilmour, as if he was nothing but a pretty face (think Milli Vanilli), and PF used other guitarists behind the curtain... Now I wonder who sang their songs?

Sorry, I couldn't resist...
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_Bonnier View Post
Ho! And by the way, I own a Fender Marcus Miller Signature Jazz Bass... He uses the exact same... down to the NONE-Fender Badass Bridge II...
Salut Greg,

The preamp is NOT the same...he even says it in interviews.

Bye!

Eric Bergeron
Old 19th November 2009
i think most people tend to take their favorite artists's endorsements at face value. if its a low-end squire that has hendrix's name on it, all but the most boorish noobs can tell its just marketing a regular ole guitar with a couple of features that make it more inclined towards hendrix style playing. But the higher-end models tend to be good. Satriani exclusively plays stock JS1200's and the like on his tours and his albums. He uses his JSX amps and signature vox pedals (even though they dont sound as good as the amp...must be a contractual thing). EVH played his sig guitars since the early 90's and 5150 amps all the time. Some signature models really do exist beyond their artists name and some are purely cash-ins. I dont know of any real respectable player who owns and plays an SRV strat. they're for collectors and kids with too much money. But the eric johnson strat? ive heard great things from players of all genres who like it not because it has EJ's name on it but because its a great guitar designed to great specs with a great combo of features that a lot of players like. If anything im glad that some of the best players in teh world are having a hand in saying how instruments are designed these days. IF teh sig series sells well then those features will make their way into the production models. but it still varies a lot. any pedal with someone's name on it is usually always just a cash-in.

that said, i think its pretty obvious that CLA designed helped design those plugs not for him to use, but for others to use who cant afford his outboard rack but would like to try to get that sound. Whats the harm in getting input from a respected name in the biz that everyone seems to want to emulate?
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Guru

Pat Metheny uses his Ibanez:

And so does George Benson:

Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Put it this way... Hendrix, Clapton, all these famous dudes, picked up their guitars in regular stores at some point. Of course, Hendrix had the priviledge to buy MANY strats and keep the ones he liked the best. That's what money and fame is all about! But these instruments were STANDARD OFF THE SHELF guitars.

Clapton built blackie from parts of various other strats... It's not a Fender custom shop 196? pro master built or whatever....

That's why I never bought the signature crap, unless I had some real use for it MYSELF. Because some of these instruments DO have something useful or original in them, like the Blackmore Strat with the scalloped high frets.

As far as publicity is concerned, I remember reading something about interviewers making sure some items were visible on certain interview pictures in magazines. They sometimes borrow stuff just to have it there! I think it this case it was studer tape machines.

Oh and... Ace Frehley did use his own signature guitars, but I think that's because he was broke...
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

And Luke Wilson loves his ATT 3G service! Just like me! It's not all about money, it's LOVE.

Not?!
Old 27th November 2009
Here for the gear

Eric Clapton actually does use his signature strat now. Pete Townshend from The Who uses an EC strat too. EC also uses a Hendrix wah, not bc it has Hendrix's name on it but bc it is a good wah. Th Eric Clapton strat provides some great extra features like the mid boost. There are two dif types of signature things, the first is those based off the one a guitarist has used (and normally customized) like the new billy gibbons les paul. The second one is when the guitarist gets a guitar custom made by a company and then the company will create a signature series off of this (like satriani or johnny a.)
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeters86 View Post
He have also played is signature Martins on tour.
Old 5th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
Pat Metheny uses his Ibanez:

Actually, I believe that's a prototype of his PM-20. Currently, you don't see him using the PM-100 and PM 120 very often. And I can't say I've ever seen him play the PM-35
Old 5th December 2009
Gear Addict

Back to DAW endorsements...
I had the opportunity to sit with one of the big Nuendo endorsers in Nashville a few years ago.
I was struck by the fact that there was nothing but Digi 192's in the rack.
When I mentioned that I noticed that they were running PT HD on three different computers, he gave me a funny look and said, "Of course we use PT. Everyone else in the world is on it. We have to. And it works flawlessly."
Celebrity endorsements don't mean a thing.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear