The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
X-MAS is killing us!!!
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

X-MAS is killing us!!!

X-mas this year is really killing my wife and I, Just paid $80.00 for a damn Barbie Glamor Camper..thats just 1 gift for 1 child out of 4 that gets like 10 gifts a piece...I may be selling my new sm7 and GAP-73 after all!!!! But there is nothing better than seeing them open up the gift and throw it aside without looking at it just to get to the next one..gotta love it man!!!
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

heh I'm the same heh "WTF? More socks?" heh
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Maniac

That's expected when you have kids, right? Glad I don't have any in the meantime so I won't have to sell my beloved Profire 2626...

If it's any consolation, getting any and all things from eBay/other outlets of the internet saves you a ton of money. I looked at a report of my spendings this year on eBay and saved over $1500 than I would have retail, whether it was audio related, clothing, ipod stuff...

but I have yet to experience the joy of children opening presents just to open them. Be thankful man!
Old 13th November 2009
You just have to get them the knock-off imitation stuff. I hear GI Joel, The Transmorphers and Barby and Len Dolls are really hot in this recession.
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Guru

That's what my school projects pay for, parents need to buy buy buy...
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR View Post
But there is nothing better than seeing them open up the gift and throw it aside without looking at it just to get to the next one..gotta love it man!!!
my younger brother is such a kind of gift-destroyer...

you better learn them to be satisfied with less, you donΒ΄t do them any good now...
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Yeah, buying plastic on your plastic! its bad for your health but heart broken kids on Christmas day, thats the real killer...

"I wanted a......"

But, I would think the majority of us here have at times missed out on a few christmas presents we wanted as kids, its all part of growing up. Dont bust the bank for them, its better there is cash in the bank for food and school clothes at the end of the day.

On another note; my son has asked for books this year. I told him he is getting an Xbox 360 at thats the end of it! tutt
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

It's unfortunate that our world has become so material, especially at X-mas, and almost always at the expense of most people's financial and mental health and well being.

A wise man once said, "Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get".

Teach your kids what happiness is and they won't need 10 gifts each.

Not that there's anything wrong with wanting to give your kids things...but when money is rare it's hard to justify giving way more than what should make them happy.
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Guru

We've never been big on the gift thing. The kids get one or two nice things, and that's it. Maybe a couple of books, too. And we don't wrap up the socks and underwear. The kids have always been happy with it, but that's maybe because they value doing more than owning.
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

$80 for a Barbie Doll?

WTF...

Glamour Camper???

Does with a generator for a curling iron?
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrainer View Post
$80 for a Barbie Doll?

WTF...

Glamour Camper???

Does with a generator for a curling iron?
YUP....I DO NOT do credit cards at X-mas..all cash...The funny thing is that after all this crap we buy for the kids I sit and ask myself..SELF, why the hell do you keep putting off getting a RNC? I could have bought 8 of them by the end of our x-mas shopping...I just find it hard to get things for MYSELF, Ill grab a pair of sweat pants that cost $10.00 and put them back by the end of the shopping trip...
As for the guy that asked about getting a job for x-mas..I don't know where you live but there is NO jobs here,. I do a little electrical work here and there since I was laid off a LONG TIME ago when Pulti builders pulled out..no more homes to wire!!!

I still remember the day a big ass semi pulled up in front of our house when I was 6, and out of it comes boxes filled with pieces to a brand new Pearl Export drum kit..my dad got it for me for my B-day..this was 29 years ago, and my dad has made his living (if you want to call it that) playing in bars and clubs, we had very little money, but he still managed to pull it off.....I still kick myself in the ass for trading them a few years later for a 4 track tascam tape deck...I was 9..god its been a long time, I just turned 35!!
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Addict

stop buying your kids garbage, they will get over it. You will then save money.
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Guru

If you reinforce society's penchant for "consumerism" in your kids, that's exactly what you'll get. Teach them the real meaning of Christmas and you'll stand a fighting chance at raising kids that don't need everything they can imagine. The best Christmas's I've had were ones where I told my wife not to spend any more than $150 TOTAL on all gifts. I HATE Christmas consumerism. Wrecks the whole deal for me.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
If you reinforce society's penchant for "consumerism" in your kids, that's exactly what you'll get. Teach them the real meaning of Christmas and you'll stand a fighting chance at raising kids that don't need everything they can imagine. The best Christmas's I've had were ones where I told my wife not to spend any more than $150 TOTAL on all gifts. I HATE Christmas consumerism. Wrecks the whole deal for me.
There is no REAL meaning of X-MAS, unless you like fairy tails!!!!!..I just love the look on my kid's faces and the excitement they get..it's worth it to me , but still costly, just like some people give all their money to a church..thats a waste of money to, and the pedophiles get to live free just for telling stories!!!kfhPS.
PS:THIS IMO AND IT CAN NOT BE CHANGED SO LET'S NOT GET INTO IT..THANKS!!!
Old 17th November 2009
Quote:
The funny thing is that after all this crap we buy for the kids I sit and ask myself..SELF, why the hell do you keep putting off getting a RNC?
You want an RNC?
Let's see what we can do about that...

p.s. check your pms, sometimes xmas comes early.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivia_nb View Post
You want an RNC?

HOLY SH*T..thanks olivia_nb..I got your pm and can honestly say I am STUNED..thank you sooo much....I dont know what to say..THANK YOU....Now I can go get some new acoustic guitar strings that I have been putting off for 2 months, I know it seems silly but I feel bad getiing stuff for myself....thanks so much olivia_nb.this is the only X-mas present I will get, me and the wife dont get eachother gifts..it all goes for the kids!!!!

THANK YOU
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Worrying about Xmas?
Remember Valentine Day is the most expensive rip off in history
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddierodriguez View Post
my younger brother is such a kind of gift-destroyer...

you better learn them to be satisfied with less, you donΒ΄t do them any good now...
I know, I think about that, but I always think back to what my dad did for me with nothing but bar gig's..He gave up a lot for me, he had a chance to play and tour for a few BIG names back in the 70-80's but turned it down because he did not want to leave me..I'm in my 30s now and I still think about those day's..

It's funny ya know, me and my wife spend at least $200.00 by the end of the season every year giving to coats for kids and a few other charities where you just by gifts for girls and boys and put them in a box, but we don't get each other gifts! I know $200.00 is not much but every bit helps, and I still won't by MYSELF a new shirt..haha!...It hurts me to think of children that have it rough!!
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarseman View Post
Worrying about Xmas?
Remember Valentine Day is the most expensive rip off in history
I TOTALLY agree with you..and most importantly..my wife agrees also..we say happy valentines to each other and thats it...but we do get the kids a card and some candy!!

We got the all their own guitars one year for X-mas, it lasted abut 3 hours and they are collecting dust, my little girl does come in and BUG me to play piano though, so I guess thats good!!
Old 17th November 2009
Quote:
HOLY SH*T..thanks olivia_nb..I got your pm and can honestly say I am STUNED..thank you sooo much....I dont know what to say..THANK YOU....Now I can go get some new acoustic guitar strings that I have been putting off for 2 months, I know it seems silly but I feel bad getiing stuff for myself....thanks so much olivia_nb.this is the only X-mas present I will get, me and the wife dont get eachother gifts..it all goes for the kids!!!!

THANK YOU
I think I can manage some guitar strings for ya too. You a nylon or steel wound kind of guy? (I few extra sets of each lying about I think)
okay, don't mention an 1176 next, cause I don't have one of those lying around!
Tell your family to have a merry xmas from me, the kids deserve it! (so do you btw)
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think I can manage some guitar strings for ya too. You a nylon or steel wound kind of guy? (I few extra sets of each lying about I think)
okay, don't mention an 1176 next, cause I don't have one of those lying around!
Tell your family to have a merry xmas from me, the kids deserve it! (so do you btw)

If I read this thread right, you're one heck of a human being. Mad props to you and if we should ever meet, beers are on me.
Old 17th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never1 View Post
Mad props to you and if we should ever meet, beers are on me.
If we do meet I am totally going to take you up on that!!! Thanks!

Everyone should check out the More Free Stuff thread in the So Much Gear forum. It's great vibes all day long and it's a great place to get in that giving spirit. Ha! I've made some great friends on this forum and I'm happy to share to that personal wealth.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
If we do meet I am totally going to take you up on that!!! Thanks!

Well, if you're ever in the Halifax, NS, Canada area... thumbsup
Old 18th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
You want an RNC?

Aww, bless ya.
Old 18th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never1 View Post
Well, if you're ever in the Halifax, NS, Canada area... thumbsup
oh man, I have always wanted to go to Prince Edward Island! I love the upper east coast and would love to see NS.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
oh man, I have always wanted to go to Prince Edward Island! I love the upper east coast and would love to see NS.
Summer time in Prince Edward Island is an amazing and beautiful place. It's probably about 150 miles from here. You can drive there in just over 2 hrs.
Old 19th November 2009
Jai guru deva om

Try Christmas for 6 kids (and we have #7 on the way).

We ask them for lists and narrow it down to the few gifts that reflect what they're into at the time. Other than that, not too bad really if you don't go crazy. My wife and I usually buy each other something like cologne or a soft blanket, simple but something the other will truly love and appreciate.

I agree that the focus of Christmas is all wrong, gifts are great but...how many do they really need?

War
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
There is no REAL meaning of X-MAS, unless you like fairy tails!!!!!..I just love the look on my kid's faces and the excitement they get..it's worth it to me , but still costly, just like some people give all their money to a church..thats a waste of money to, and the pedophiles get to live free just for telling stories!!!kfhPS.
PS:THIS IMO AND IT CAN NOT BE CHANGED SO LET'S NOT GET INTO IT..THANKS!!!
Sorry that you feel that way. Hope you have a good Christmas anyway. Maybe just celebrate birthdays?

Anyway, the retailers ramp up more every year. Better hold on tight with 4 kids if you're celebrating consumerism. thumbsup

bp
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Sorry that you feel that way. Hope you have a good Christmas anyway. Maybe just celebrate birthdays?

Anyway, the retailers ramp up more every year. Better hold on tight with 4 kids if you're celebrating consumerism. thumbsup

bp
It's not that I dont believe..I just dont believe the way the BOOK/church tells me to...I KNOW there is something there, but I think the GOOD BOOK as they call it was put in place to keep you a SHEEP, But like I said, thats IMO, I love everyone unitil given a reason not to, Im not evil..

PS. we have 7 kids, it's just that one is 19 so I dont consider him a "Kid" anymore but it still cost's us..not to mention we just got sued by our old landlord, he Say's we took the stove,washer/dryer and fridge when we moved, we never got served papers and just got a letter in the mail saying HE WON ..Oh YA..WE OWNED all of those things, and DID NOT TAKE THEM..our place came furnished so we actually LEFT that stuff their, some people are just monsters, so now we have to try and fight something that is wrong to begin with..I guess he has done this befor and no one ever showed up at court, thats how he sues people for their own things...and it's funny, I thought we were supposed to be SERVED papers to go to court..we never got anything but a judgment!! SUCKS MAN, They are going to Garnish my wife's wedges..Just another battle to be fought !!!
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

I just want to give another THANK YOU to olivia_nb!!! thanks so much, you really are helping us out, I am so Excited..it's been a while since I have been excited about anything!!
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear