The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
my finger hurts! remedy?
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

my finger hurts! remedy?

I haven't been playing guitar in a while as I was on honeymoon. I have a gig tonight which requires a bunch of work with one note and a drone string. the b string is eating into my skin as my callus has faded slightly and kills. it is affecting my movement into and out of the notes.

I don't want to do anything drastic, but is there anything you shredders do out there? I've heard of super glue but am really hesitant about trying this. it's my fretting hand obviously.

I'll probably suck it up but if anybody has any suggestions I'm all ears.

oto
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by otobianki74 View Post
I haven't been playing guitar in a while as I was on honeymoon. I have a gig tonight which requires a bunch of work with one note and a drone string. the b string is eating into my skin as my callus has faded slightly and kills. it is affecting my movement into and out of the notes.

I don't want to do anything drastic, but is there anything you shredders do out there? I've heard of super glue but am really hesitant about trying this. it's my fretting hand obviously.

oto
The best thing is just building up your callus... but you obviuosly don't have time for that.

I would say go down to the drug store and get some "Skin numbing cream" and rub it into your finger tips right before you hit the stage.

Do that and deal with the pain later.....playing is going to hurt either way but atleast you will be able to preform well for your show.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

I was thinking about doing that. my wife has lidocaine on hand and was thinking a dab on the finger might be the ticket. I'm just worried it'll numb my hand and I won't be able to move it. hah.

yeah my calluses are normally rockin, but the three weeks off softened them up quite a bit.

oto
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by otobianki74 View Post

oto

super glue on the tips of your fingers...
Old 12th November 2009
Here for the gear

Surgical Spirit....get from chemist or pharmacy.

Dries the skin and helps calluses form.

Beavis
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Jack Daniels.
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpidge View Post
super glue on the tips of your fingers...
This works. Well, it'll get you through the gig. I've seen a couple of bass players do it before.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolet View Post
Jack Daniels.
That works too
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear