The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Clients not really mixing their projects!?!?!?!?!?
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Addict

Red face Clients not really mixing their projects!?!?!?!?!?

So I get a client that wants to come over to the studio and have me play some sax on their "project"......cool. I do this all the time. (2 songs)

So I get an email from him with 2 stereo MP3 files....not my favorite way of working...but it does work, so I'm good. I load it into the Pro Tools rig and listen a few times.....the track blows majorly. But hay, everyone doesn't know what they are doing; it sounded like a Roland VS1680 type of recording done in an untreated bedroom w/1982 keyboard sounds...and not the good ones! LOL

So the session day comes and he shows up. I play through his 2 songs and we overdub until he is happy.....cool right?

Well then he proceeds to ask me to "mix" the two songs so he can deliver them to his "mastering" guy.......I figure he doesn't understand the lingo...so I asked him if he could get me the multitrack for both songs......he says " I don't have that...the guy that recorded the songs erased his hard drive". So he is expecting me to "mix" my sax in with his crappy stereo mix that sounds like the southern end of a north bound bull............

I was paid to play sax...not "mix". I would have hired in another engineer to mix anyways.......someone better than I. I don't want my name on some B.S. project either. I will now have to ask who is mixing the project from now on...before I agree to play on it! I don't have a problem w/ the talent level, just the lack of attention to detail and lack of preparation (buy your own hard drive folks!!!!!!).

I did the best I could for the guy, and feel bad that the first person he dealt with didn't have him get his own storage medium. All clients aren't going to be aware of that as a major necessity......

OK...I'm done running my mouth.
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Guru

While I understand the idea of being non-technical, my gut feeling is that when someone doesn't understand that they need the mults to record and mix a record, it's a lot more than that. It's almost a state of technical denial. They don't want to deal with the guy who screwed them, because they don't want to be confrontational, or they don't feel sure of themselves, or whatever. And then the problems just roll down hill. And then they tell themselves they did the best they could, when actually, if they'd stood up for themselves, they would have got a lot better.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

yeah, try being the "mix" engineer on one of these fiascos!
It ain't fun anymore!
Old 11th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cheese View Post
Wow... lol..

There are dozens of people like this though. These 2 artists I'm working with wanted me to make them 3 complete songs from scratch, record their vocals, mix their vocals with the song, and hand them 3 completed songs in 2 weeks.... And I don't get anything out of it other then the chance to work with such great talent.. which btw isn't too great.

Some people
If the talent isn't there...why are you doing it?
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cheese View Post
I don't know. Guess it gives me goals to look forward to. Otherwise it's just me sitting in a room with gear.
Well, that could still be better than you sitting in a room with gear and talentless jerks.
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Nut

sometimes i feel like there's too many engineers and not enough talent...
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear