The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bought Behringer ECM8000 measurement mic - different frequency plots ?!(*#[email protected]
Old 9th November 2009
Lives for gear

Bought Behringer ECM8000 measurement mic - different frequency plots ?!(*#[email protected]

My Behringer ECM8000 arrived today. There are two paper wrappers included (one overall and another around the carry case.
Strange thing, they both have frequency response plots printed on them. and both are complterly different. One seems to be the right typical FR and the second seems to be more like FR of a typical LDC mic - with proximiyu effect and highshelf raised from 2k (pics attched, sorry for low quality...)
Which one is to believe? Do those careless Chinese workers smoke too much of that good `ish ? (Note the "Frequncy response" atop of the second plot). heh
Attached Thumbnails
Bought Behringer ECM8000 measurement mic  - different frequency plots ?!(*#$@-rotation-2009-11-09-17.30.24.jpg   Bought Behringer ECM8000 measurement mic  - different frequency plots ?!(*#$@-rotation-2009-11-09-17.30.06.jpg  
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Maniac

I think if you listen to it, you should be able to make a reasonable guess as to whether it has a +5dB boost all the way from 3kHz to 15kHz, or whatever it says...

The second chart looks fake. They can't even spell 'frequency' correctly.

Does the response even matter for what you are using the mic for?
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Addict

Friends don't let friends buy Behringer
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freematik View Post
Friends don't let friends buy Behringer
Wrong. From what I know, this mic specifically is the bang4thebuck for measurements...
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revren Jesse View Post
I think if you listen to it, you should be able to make a reasonable guess as to whether it has a +5dB boost all the way from 3kHz to 15kHz, or whatever it says...

The second chart looks fake. They can't even spell 'frequency' correctly.

Does the response even matter for what you are using the mic for?
Yep, from listening to it yesterday I knew right away that it had a quite linear FR. Moreover, omni mics DO NOT have any proximity effect per se since they are pressure-sensitive, not pressure-gradien-sensitive.
I am going to use it as a acoustics measurement mic. The self-noise is rather high, but overall sound is linear and detailed...
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

Buying Behringer
Be Baddest Business Benchmark
Buyer Been Beguiled
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

DAH- IIRC, I think there are mods out there for the electronics which might clean up the noise some.

Re:Behringer mics- I'm not real happy with them right now. I've got a pair of their C2s, which are supposedly "matched", but don't sound anything alike. It was tracked down to the capsules, one of which is noticeably dull sounding, and I put in a support inquiry with them. I was hoping maybe I could send the capsules back and pay a minimum repair fee to get them swapped. It looked good at first and they were really helpful, but then it just dropped off and doesn't look like it's happening now. Those are praised as good, cheap "bang for the buck" SDCs too and have some interesting mods out there. It sucks having to waste them over something that small.

Take Care
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear