The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The DAW controller market ....I spit on it ! I spit on it !
Old 26th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony--> View Post
Why exactly are you labelling me as some kind of Mackie fanboy? You're about a million miles off target with that half baked idea I can assure you of that, their MCU Pro works for me and thats it, no more no less, if it doesn't work for you then move on, what's the big deal?
I think it works for you because you've had to make it work for you, since you have very little alternatives which brings me back to my main point !
Old 26th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
I tried your idea of blowing into a paper bag and it worked a treat, amazing! Thank you!!
Anytime homeboy, don't hesitate to ask for any other handy tips, hey, as the saying goes 'if you're not sharing you're not caring'
Old 26th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiddy boy View Post
I think it works for you because you've had to make it work for you
Hardly, I just plugged it in and it works, no taking thinks apart or configuring and *making things work for me*, straight out the box just works, easy.

Quote:
since you have very little alternatives which brings me back to my main point !
Well then, make your own gear like you have already said, problem solved. If you're unable to make your own gear then wait till the kit that you want comes up on places like ebay and pick something up cheaper than brand new just as I have done so myself.
Old 26th September 2009
Lives for gear

I was in the same boat. I tried all of the offerings with my Logic rig and they never felt right. I ended up switching over to Pro Tools HD just so I can use the C|24. If there was a controller like this for Logic I may switch back. The big selling point is a meter bridge.

I asked the guys at Euphonics about a mid sized artist series. They told me to buy the MC5. I was like 3 grand to 90 grand is pretty big difference. They said there is no market for a mid size controller. I told them I see a lot of C|24/Control|24's out in mid sized studios. They said that it is too small of a market. I said I bet you sell a hell of a lot more 24 channel surfaces than MC5's. He had no comment.

I think they are out of touch with the mid sized studio. The only ones who get it is Digi unfortunately.

Lets see if SSL makes a matrix controller only. My gut tells me this is next for them.
Old 26th September 2009
Lives for gear

m127:
Nice setup there....no shortage of video feeds....
Question: Do you use the Kore 2.1 pictured as a control surface?
Apparently the new 2.1 update from NI allows custom MIDI mapping?
Haven't had a chance to experiment with it yet.....wondering if anyone here has?
I would like to try a Cubase template but I have not seen one or figured out how to create one....seems like one needs to be a MIDI programmer (which I am not) in order to utilize these new features....supposedly the rotary knobs can be setup as 8 channel faders and the stop/play/rec/mute buttons will operate as transport controls?!!?
Old 26th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelhead View Post
I was in the same boat. I tried all of the offerings with my Logic rig and they never felt right. I ended up switching over to Pro Tools HD just so I can use the C|24. If there was a controller like this for Logic I may switch back. The big selling point is a meter bridge.
Look at the SmartAV Tango, I've got one and it works great with Logic. It has a good meterbridge too ;-)
Old 27th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geert van den Berg View Post
Look at the SmartAV Tango, I've got one and it works great with Logic. It has a good meterbridge too ;-)
but expensive
Old 27th September 2009
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Googlyman View Post
but expensive
Everyone wants a $500 controller that does everything and looks PRO. No one wants to pay for the good ones but they sure will complain about the cheap ones

Smart AV - TANGO - Smart Console
Old 27th September 2009
Deleted 86c3d96
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
Everyone wants a $500 controller that does everything and looks PRO. No one wants to pay for the good ones but they sure will complain about the cheap ones

Smart AV - TANGO - Smart Console
$8500 is kind of pricey for what is essentially a large mouse.

I have a MCU and 2 XT. Does anyone use the Mackie C4?
Old 27th September 2009
Lives for gear

Tascam

Tascam almost had the perfect DAW controller ..... they just needed one more generation of the Tascam US2400 to include a meter bridge and l.e.d. readouts of the tracks/parameters ....but instead of going the extra mile they discontinued it , a real shame they didn't have a vision for it .....
Attached Thumbnails
The DAW controller market ....I spit on it ! I spit on it !-c3bef8036729b8f514b7568e7f1bb69e.jpg  
Old 27th September 2009
Deleted 86c3d96
Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Rezz View Post
Tascam almost had the perfect DAW controller ..... they just needed one more generation of the Tascam US2400 to include a meter bridge and l.e.d. readouts of the tracks/parameters ....but instead of going the extra mile they discontinued it , a real shame they didn't have a vision for it .....
It really was a shame. I was in the market to buy a control surface when these were discontinued, and I knew I would be very unhappy without the scribble strip. Of course, I ended up making a horrific mistake by purchasing a M-Audio ProjectMix. So, I made the classic GS mistake, buying gear twice. The ProjectMix was gone in a year, and replaced with an Ensemble and MCU.

I would never buy an intergrated control surface/audio device ever again, which is what is so unfortunate about the Digi control|24/ c24.
Old 27th September 2009
Lives for gear

m127
Thanks a bunch for the how to...I found the Mackie template and tried that and got the transport controls working and the next step will be the faders..

I also heard of a new DAW controller called JazzMutant. They have two controller models Lemur and Dexter which are touch screen controllers designed to work with all DAW software...
Around $2000 for the Lemur and $1600 for the Dexter....
Old 27th September 2009
Lives for gear

It is a bit fustrating. There seems to be nothing filling the hole, although the company that makes the Motormix is rumored to be making a new device called the Merlin. Looks very close to what we are all screaming for. Try a Google on it.

I do have to wonder though ...why no on has jumped in here with such a product yet. Protools has the C24. No other platform has anything really like that. I guess we all hang in there a little longer. If one company brings a product to market and it's a smash success, look for others to quickly jump in. Until that day ......

cdlt
Old 27th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googlyman View Post
but expensive
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_seldon View Post
$8500 is kind of pricey for what is essentially a large mouse.

I have a MCU and 2 XT. Does anyone use the Mackie C4?
That's the same old cliche. You can't compare a MCU to the Tango, the Icon, or the MC-5. I don't say those controllers can completely replace the mouse, because most computer applications have been written to be controlled by a mouse, but they can replace and speed up many functions. (I don't have Nuendo, but from what I've seen it does allow quite a lot of editting without the mouse).

The Tango does replace my keyboard as well, it has a great built in keyboard on the touchscreen, I wouldn't use it to type long texts but for the occasional track naming it works. For shortkeys you can switch to the edit panel which you can layout exactly how you would like and you can switch to 10 different edit panels. (also all the buttons on the controller can be programmed to do anything that the software allows to be programmed and they can change functions along with the switching of the edit panels)

For mixing tricks watch the latest video on the SmartAV website, this is much easier than explaining everything. These are basic features that work with any of the supported DAW's and are sometimes forgotten because people start to talk about plugin integration...
Smart AV - TANGO -Smart Console

It's so simple but effective. I do not have any extenders (yet) but I also don't feel the need because it's so easy to get the faders in front of me.

Offcourse the controller is not perfect (yet). Controlling of 3rd party plugins could be better, but it does work, and you have 16 encoders per page so a lot of plugins will fit on one page and if they don't, for example if I put a Sonalksis EQ on a couple channels on insert 1 and switch between them, they'll stay on the same page, so if I control the high shelf on 1 channel, it's easy to find and control it on the other channels as well.

I am really happy with this controller, don't feel the need to look elsewhere as I feel there's still a lot of cool things to come, the company is so actively developping. Also most bugs have been fixed very fast. I think that is money well spend.

I read in another thread that someone thought it was difficult to setup, that isn't true IMHO. Just install the software, via a standard installer, make sure the IP's are set correctly on both the engine (DAW) and the controller, which is something (which is needed on any device connected via ethernet) and select the engine which supports your DAW on the console. Yes you have to get familiar with the menu's on the console, at first it might seem complicated, but really it's not.
Old 27th September 2009
Lives for gear

HEY OP!

I Hear ya mate!

So I just put this together, and Mr, Norris told me it was ok, his words.

But I stole a screenshot of this board
Production Audio Services

and made one for Chuck

Anyways, am I hearing you right, 'cause I've been looking for such a thing?thumbsup
Attached Thumbnails
The DAW controller market ....I spit on it ! I spit on it !-chucksboard.jpg  
Old 27th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke View Post
HEY OP!

I Hear ya mate!

and made one for Chuck

Anyways, am I hearing you right, 'cause I've been looking for such a thing?thumbsup
LOL, thanks George for the laugh, Chuck made me crack up, Chuck rules!!!!!
Old 28th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke View Post
HEY OP!

I Hear ya mate!

and made one for Chuck

Awesome chuck ! That is exactly what I've been looking for - thats a Chuck Norris kickin of a deal !
Old 28th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiddy boy View Post
Awesome chuck ! That is exactly what I've been looking for - thats a Chuck Norris kickin of a deal !
Thanx guys, I'll let Chuck know that you can dig it.

So, all you manufacturers! Listen up! You wanna be friends with Chuck, and a lot of slutz?

Make it happen!
Old 28th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doktahyde View Post
I own a Motormix, and I like it also. I hate they discontinued it, but it works fine.
I emailed carl a few months ago and that unit is not discontinued. He gave me prices for the motor mix and motor mate.
Old 28th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
I checked some videos and the forum.

The console functions are nice and everything.
I would buy it but 9k is serious money. It would not feel right spending that much, plus it seems it has the same issue all the rest in the market have:

(from the tango forum)>
I agree with you, making custom layouts and changing plugin parameters around is on the developer list, but I don't know at which position.
Old 30th September 2009
Gear Head

I use novation's automap on the remote zero SL and I like it, but the unit itself is constructed like a toy.

Being that Focusrite owns novation, i don't see why they haven't mustered the brains to put their pro audio experience to use and get a quality 16-32 channel motorized controller that is powered by Novation's automap software....

I also like the tango's implementation of a large touchscreen...

The automap concept is great and is just begging for quality hardware....i don't think it will ever happen though, because nearly all the stupidity in pro audio is concentrated in the daw controller market.
Old 1st October 2009
Deleted 86c3d96
Quote:
Originally Posted by swan View Post
I use novation's automap on the remote zero SL and I like it, but the unit itself is constructed like a toy.
A German toy or a Chinese toy. I am surprised my Novation X-station seems decently built.
Old 2nd October 2009
Gear Nut

Don't laugh at me, but I do think Mackie has exactly what we need. Let me explain myself: I was looking at our old d8b covered with dust lying in the corner... Thinking to myself: wow, this thing almost has all of the features I'd like to have on a decent DAW controller... After a minute looking at it some more I thought: Man, this d8b *IS* actually some kinda of a controller! It's proprietary, has some DSP and audio but basically, it's 25 faders in a box with leds and transport buttons!

I might try to revive that old thing and convert it into a DAW controller... It's using standard DB25 serial cable to communicate with its brain, should be easily to interface it with a modern PC (or some kind of a dummy box but that would kill the purpose as the PSU/brain of the d8b supports MIDI).

Cheers all,
Old 4th October 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Girard View Post
Don't laugh at me, but I do think Mackie has exactly what we need. ,
The mackie digital X bus is a 24 channel controller that looks cool. It is also a 72 channel mixer.

I used to own one, the mixer was far to unreliable and I got rid of it. The controller part however worked fine, its basically like 3 of the usual mackie controllers, the buttons come up on the touch screen.

Maybe you can get one cheap now (I can't believe I'm recommending them afer my experiences, but maybe purely as a controller it would be ok..)

matt
Old 4th October 2009
Lives for gear

Too bad they probably wouldn't consider making a controller only version of this.
I'd go for one as long as it wasn't too pricey. Sure a MCU pro and 2 side cars
would cost the same but then you have all that extra cabling and PSU's to deal with.
Having it all in one unit would make more sense to me.

Hell looking at the recent ebay ads I'd almost try a d8b if someone could figure
out some sort of conversion interface.
Old 4th October 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKyflash34 View Post
Hell looking at the recent ebay ads I'd almost try a d8b if someone could figure out some sort of conversion interface.
I'm trying to get a hold of a used one... I studied the schematics a bit. There's two serial line controlled by the PC (in the PSU). One goes to the DSP board (for audio routing, plugins etc.) and the other one goes to the brain board (it controls pretty much everything).

I hope that the brain board can work without the DSP/Audio. That'd be the best! The cool part about this project is that almost every "normal" PC on the panel has a serial port included in the back. Interfacing RS-232 is easy (well, easier than hacking TCP/IP!). So, it'd be like recycling d8b's into DAW controllers.

My dream would be to be able to bypass the whole PSU/CPU thing and use the control surface by itself, without anything else, but that would involve creating a new power supply... Anyway, we got to be able to talk to the control surface first!

Cheers,

Marc Girard
Marc Girard.com
Old 5th October 2009
Lives for gear

Hey 48 channels automated -- they throw in a whole DAW with it --under $1k used ....why do think we have not rushed > to move < to something new
Old 6th October 2009
Lives for gear

Omni Rack--We have several pieces from them
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attac...g_3084-web.jpg
Old 6th October 2009
Quote:

Being that Focusrite owns novation, i don't see why they haven't mustered the brains to put their pro audio experience to use and get a quality 16-32 channel motorized controller that is powered by Novation's automap software....
My sentiment exactly. I'd pay good money for an SL with motorized faders (8-16-32), or even an SL addon with just the faders to accompany my existing setup. In the meantime I'm seriously considering a Faderport, just be a bit more handson. The non-motor faders on my SL aren't really useful to me.

r,
j,
Old 4th November 2009
LX3
Lives for gear

Quote:
The automap concept is great and is just begging for quality hardware....i don't think it will ever happen though, because nearly all the stupidity in pro audio is concentrated in the daw controller market.
hehhehheh

thumbsup

Possibly the truest words I've ever read on GS. How I wish it weren't so.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search