The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How is this behringer stuff so cheap? sumtin not right Control Surfaces
Old 31st March 2009
  #91
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedcrop View Post
I disagree with this. Microsoft corners the market because there is no competition. There really is no other software for networking, office use etc.. that is even close. It aint because it is the cheapest because it is not the cheapest. It is the only.
What the???microsoft makes an operating system or two basically. they dont' make networking stuff, linksys/cisco does that, along with d-link etc. and most of that is based on systems that stemmed from unix systems (and most are actually run with unix systems). microsoft builds networking support into their OS as does everyone else, and they follow the same protocols as all of the other operating systems out there.

osx (mac), linux (etc), and windows all do the same things.

I use ubuntu linux at work for my office, networking etc. my coworker uses a mac. at home I use macs exclusively (except for my daw which uses windows).
Old 3rd April 2009
  #92
Lives for gear
 

re behr. my 2c, n i'm not defending em.
just suggesting other aspects/side of the coin.
1. in the behr mixers i understood they used their own custom transistors developed
by them. thats not copying.
2. there are many common circuit designs that have been around for donkeys ages.
many semiconductor manufacturers post on their sites reference circuits.
for example mic pre's. national, maxim , analog devices , n linear tech web sites all have various m'pre designs. n line driver designs etc etc.
3. there are many kids today wanting to get into music whose parents cant afford much.
so they get a ub802 mixer for a few buks. their alternative might be nothing.
whats the matter with that ??
when i was a kid of 10 i was lucky to have a mono tape recorder to mess with.
many didnt.
4. a friend of mine was interested in a behr mixer...n cos i had heard so many putting em down..
i said to heck with it, n wanted to test for myself.
frankly it surprised me for such little money. my only critique was i found it clinical.
so it went back. my friend wanted more character rather than clinical.
but i tell you for a kid of 10 its way better than nothing , and actually in my testing the recorded traks were very clean with a condensor phantom powered mic.
lots of useable gain. mebe i was lucky n got a good unit..dunno.


in conclusion i'm just trying to be fair.
so the behr mixer is 90 buks. who cares.
at that price if it goes on the blink , get another in a couple of years time.
lets face it , any gear can break down. even expensive gear.

years ago i once taught marketing. all behr did was shrewdly identify a market niche to
be filled.
i'm sure if behr didnt exist , some other company would have filled the market void.
and people would be going on about that company instead.

remember its a free market, theres nothing to stop anyone here starting their own company n going into competition .
identify a need , n fill it. just basic marketing 101.
Old 3rd April 2009
  #93
Lives for gear
 
nomoreflakes's Avatar
 

I intentionally (when I have no choice) or unintentionally buy products manufactured in China in suspect conditions but it is not hypocritical for me to berate the firm choosing to manufacture in China.

Whether we complain as such to each other on this forum, boycott the products or chuck eggs at Gordon Brown we are all expressing and affirming political opinion and that is a whole lot better than being bullied into silence.
Old 3rd April 2009
  #94
Lives for gear
 

Why does this thread keep on getting resurrected every year or so?

Quote:
there are many common circuit designs that have been around for donkeys ages.
many semiconductor manufacturers post on their sites reference circuits.
for example mic pre's. national, maxim , analog devices , n linear tech web sites all have various m'pre designs. n line driver designs etc etc.
There is a huge difference between basing a design on existing basic designs and copying exactly a current product. Behringer has done the latter on many occasions.

Quote:
there are many kids today wanting to get into music whose parents cant afford much.
so they get a ub802 mixer for a few buks. their alternative might be nothing.
whats the matter with that ??
Nothing's wrong with wanting to get a mixer for ninety bucks, specifically...and even though the UB802 may not be a copy of another mixer, I'm not going to support a company who has blatantly and arrogantly copied other manufacturers' designs to get where they are in the marketplace, even if most of their designs are their own. It has nothing to do with the price, or with the fact that they're made in China, or anything like that. Obviously, not everyone feels the same way, which is fine...but aside from people who hang out on boards like these I'd bet that most of their customers (or potential customers) aren't even aware of their history.
Old 4th April 2009
  #95
Lives for gear
 
nomoreflakes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelabs View Post
...someone suffered in order to satisfy my materialistic urges.
Jonathan
how the west was "won"
Old 7th April 2009
  #96
Gear Addict
 
Zooey's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermionic View Post
There is currently a movement (inspired by furniture makers, chairs particularly - you didn't think the audio industry wielded any clout did you?) to close the loopholes exploited by Beh; if the proposed legislation is passed, it should do us all a favour and remove the pustule that is Beh once and for good from the audio landscape
Which loophole is that?
Old 17th April 2009
  #97
Gear Nut
 
RDMS's Avatar
 

Get a life guys...
It's only gear.....
You think a carpenter can't do his job because someone makes him use a $5 hammer?
You think an idiot can do the same job because he now has a $200 hammer?

Tools are tools, but the only important component is the nut that holds it all together........
Old 24th September 2009
  #98
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange View Post
The original question asked why Behringer stuff was so cheap.

the thread then goes on to attack Behringer for manufacturing in china/borrowing ideas/reliablity etc etc all points which might be directed at many other companies.
Their stuff is cheap and it SUCKS...Everyone attacks Behringer because their stuff SUCKS...

I don't name other companies because I might just try a product from any other audio company, but again...

BEHRINGER STUFF F*CKIN SUCKS D*CK......

Sorry for yelling...Just had to get that point across.

Wow..just realized how old this post is...
Old 24th September 2009
  #99
Lives for gear
 
Lee Cardan's Avatar
 

I just received the 2009 Behringer catalog

I've got a spare room in the studio, and am toying with the thought of setting up a Behringer ONLY project studio. I'm taking converters, desk, MICS, compressors, outboard fX, EVERYTHING!

just for laughs, I'd be interested to see just how good their stuff is these days

10K behringer studio vs 100K boutique studio.. it'd be an interesting contest
Old 24th September 2009
  #100
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Cardan View Post
I just received the 2009 Behringer catalog

I've got a spare room in the studio, and am toying with the thought of setting up a Behringer ONLY project studio. I'm taking converters, desk, MICS, compressors, outboard fX, EVERYTHING!

just for laughs, I'd be interested to see just how good their stuff is these days

10K behringer studio vs 100K boutique studio.. it'd be an interesting contest
Dude you HAVE to do it. It's your destiny, Luke. Besides, I'd totally pay to hear how it stacks up against good stuff.
Old 25th September 2009
  #101
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermionic View Post

Regarding spelling and punctuation issues: if it's clear someone is a native English-speaker (I would never pick holes in the post of someone whose primary language is not English), and they choose to become involved in a contentious ethical debate, I believe that their case is weakened in the eyes of onlookers if they do not take due diligence in their spelling.
i Aggrea towtulli
Old 25th September 2009
  #102
RTR
Lives for gear
 
RTR's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duardo View Post
Why does this thread keep on getting resurrected every year or so?


There is a huge difference between basing a design on existing basic designs and copying exactly a current product. Behringer has done the latter on many occasions.


Nothing's wrong with wanting to get a mixer for ninety bucks, specifically...and even though the UB802 may not be a copy of another mixer, I'm not going to support a company who has blatantly and arrogantly copied other manufacturers' designs to get where they are in the marketplace, even if most of their designs are their own. It has nothing to do with the price, or with the fact that they're made in China, or anything like that. Obviously, not everyone feels the same way, which is fine...but aside from people who hang out on boards like these I'd bet that most of their customers (or potential customers) aren't even aware of their history.
YA..And the new GAP pre-73 is not copy/imitation of something, and the chameleon labs stuff is not either
Old 26th September 2009
  #103
Lives for gear
 
-silent-sam-'s Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelabs View Post
I received one of those musicians friends catalogs in the mail and was browsing. I am blown away by how cheap this behringer stuff is. This little $99 mixer we bought for the shop is not bad for checking mics. It's build quality is not all that bad either. If $99 is the end user price and the musician friends people buy it for lets say $60. Christ I don't get it, just the chassis with paint etc. is that much. I know they make thousands of these things but still. I am a small manufacturer and use only the best parts but even if I used **** parts and made thousands it would have to cost more, I know what parts cost. Is something unethical going on here? Any insights to what the deal with Behringer is. I heard the whole Mackie / Behringer story, but that didn't seem to slow them down. I almost feel guilty buying the stuff, like someone suffered in order to satisfy my materialistic urges.
Jonathan
No quality control..........

For the most part behringer stuff sucks but there is times when you don't need a $300 DI box or a $8000 mixer.

In those cases I have heard / experienced mixed things.

One reason why I suspect they save money on quality control is because you can buy 3 behringer DI boxes and 2 of them will sound like **** and 1 of them will sound good.

Same with everything they make.......

And I would assume 90% of people buying behringer stuff are people just getting into recording, or musicans looking for a cheap easy way to record there stuff..... In which case they aren't going to send back a ****ty sounding DI box..... as long as it works they are happy.
Old 26th September 2009
  #104
Lives for gear
 
-silent-sam-'s Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermionic View Post
Ok, I see. We're talking about "Telefunken USA"... I'm sure they have more in common with the original TFK than just a name...

Regarding spelling and punctuation issues: if it's clear someone is a native English-speaker (I would never pick holes in the post of someone whose primary language is not English), and they choose to become involved in a contentious ethical debate, I believe that their case is weakened in the eyes of onlookers if they do not take due diligence in their spelling. I will not mention this point again - others reading the thread can make their own minds up.

Justin
If the eyes of onlookers are influenced by the spelling and punctuation of a language that has not only been bombarded with slang and words that don't make sense, but is poorly taught in school's these days, then the onlookers themselves are not intelligent.

It's about as intelligent as the onlookers being influenced by the color of someone's skin.

99% of the time it is just used as a cop out by the grammar **** because they don't have anything real to contribute to the debate.

so yeah.... I made up my mind.

I also read a Noam Chomsky book once and he feels the same way........ I think thats all I need to say about that.

Sorry everyone don't mean to shift the topic.... this **** just pisses me off.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Edwards / So much gear, so little time
12
bluesj / Gear free zone - shoot the breeze
11
Sieber / High end
15
alaskamother / Bass traps, acoustic panels, foam etc
3
LX3 / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music and Location Recording
15

Forum Jump
Forum Jump