The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How is this behringer stuff so cheap? sumtin not right Control Surfaces
Old 18th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJohn View Post
Hi Johnathan,

Apparently another way they save money is by skipping compliance testing and verification :

And quality control.
Old 18th April 2008
Lives for gear

it's funny how often grammar ****s fail to keep their infinitives together. anyone can spot a typo.... can you spot a gerund?

Old 18th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
vipre is not made in china.
errrr...
I have one and somewhere either on the unit or in the documentation it says "Assembled in China from US parts" or some such.

It isn't MIC the way a Behringer mixer is, but it is assembled in China.
Old 21st April 2008
Lives for gear

I bought an AD8000 converter because someone told me that it was one of Behringer's good products. Yesterday it started spitting and popping, I had to go get something else to replace it for the session. I put the unit in the dumpster where it belongs, I will never let another Deadringer product on my premises again.

Something is not cheap if you have to buy it twice.

Just like all of the cheap Chinese power tools and hand tools that are flooding into the stores here, they are sub-standard crap that look like a real product, but have none of the functionality of the real thing.
Old 21st April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.delrosario View Post
I am a dedicated BEHRINGER employee for 7 years. And it hurts my pride when you people talk trash and criticize something or some one you don’t really know. We have the full line of RnD from Conceptual design to Prototyping. We never copy anything from anybody. We have a whole wide of gears and products with reasonable price (not cheap!) Because we dedicate ourselves in sourcing the best components at the lowest price. Each of them passes thru our intensive testing and standard before it goes to your hand. No China labor is not cheap at all compare to some Asian countries. No we never employ minors either. No we never compromise price with quality. We are simply a company willing to help those less fortunate people to fulfill their dreams of becoming musicians thru our rock bottom price. And as long as they are around, as long as there as more less fortunate people, rest assure we will be here to extend our hand and make their dreams come true. Because there is nothing wrong on helping others. And Yes! this is trully a professional equipment.

Obetski
How can you put your name to a post like this and still sleep at night. Behringer's R&D department? I have 5 words for you and your "R&D" department:

Ebtech Swizz Army Cable Tester.

Had any lawsuits lately from companies concerned about their trade dress being infringed?

As for saying that you "Never compromise price with quality", that is not true, EVERY manufacturer has to sacrifice quality for price, it a fundamental design and manufacturing constraint.

I am not saying that you should not be proud of your company and your work, the stuff you make fills a niche, but don't expect people to buy inane corporate propaganda. My opinions are my own, and they are based on my being let down several times by Behringer equipment at times when I needed the gear to be working for me, and I have not had the same failure percentage from other brands that I use. I do appreciate that you make an inexpensive product that give access to gear to a lot of people, but I saw the original Behringer net release of the stomp boxes that looked EXACTLY like Boss pedals, and I saw the design change when it was made public that Roland were not amused. I look at the other stomp boxes and to my uneducated eyes they have more that a passing resemblance to Electro-Harmonix. Just my opinion of course. Perhaps you should ask yourself why so many people are so foolish as to think that your cable tester and Ebtech's look at all similar?

As I mentioned in my previous post, when my ADA8000 failed the other day (which I was using for some extra O/B Fx send/returns), I removed it from the rack and put it in the bin. I never had a thought of having it repaired, once the warranty expires no-one that I can find will touch your products. Any other brand and I would send it to the shop for repair. That says it all. As one Behringer warranty guy once confided in me, "If I see a "custom" chip with Behringer stamped on it, and it's hot or obviously not working, I just stick a TL072 in there, seems to work fine".
Old 7th July 2008
Here for the gear

edit
Old 7th July 2008
Deleted User #43636
I owned 2 Behringer compressors, an Autocom and a Composer, they worked fine for the price and were very reliable.
But this was more than 10 years ago, at a time Behringer wasnt making digital stuff (or they just started to) and didnt have tons of new products every month.
The prices werent as outrageously low as they are now, and the same for the quality...
And older products designed and built in Europe were not cheaper than other brands in the same range.

My compressors still work fine, but a kid I know bought a V-amp that lasted less than 3 months before falling to pieces...

It is weird : 12 years ago, Behringer had already a bad rap, without actual reasons. Now the rap is the same, but with good reasons...
Old 7th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Good thread, 2006 or not.
Well, not, actually...check out the date on the initial post...
Old 8th July 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.delrosario View Post
I am a dedicated BEHRINGER employee for 7 years. And it hurts my pride when you people talk trash and criticize something or some one you don’t really know. We have the full line of RnD from Conceptual design to Prototyping. We never copy anything from anybody. We have a whole wide of gears and products with reasonable price (not cheap!) Because we dedicate ourselves in sourcing the best components at the lowest price. Each of them passes thru our intensive testing and standard before it goes to your hand. No China labor is not cheap at all compare to some Asian countries. No we never employ minors either. No we never compromise price with quality. We are simply a company willing to help those less fortunate people to fulfill their dreams of becoming musicians thru our rock bottom price. And as long as they are around, as long as there as more less fortunate people, rest assure we will be here to extend our hand and make their dreams come true. Because there is nothing wrong on helping others. And Yes! this is trully a professional equipment.

Obetski
Behringer don't operate much different from many other budget companies.

However - one thing IS true - they make a load of overpriced bad sounding shi.t.

That's right - i said overpriced. Most (but not all) of their gear isn't worth the small bucks you pay. It's poorly made, poorly designed and not fit for the purpose at any price. There are SOME useful bits of gear - but invariably pay the tiny bit more and buy the yamaha equivalent - if you want cheap.

How you can come on here and claim Behringer don't copy designs is beyond me - look at the number of court cases you answer too....remember the MX8000?

I cannot single out Behringer as being some great evil company - they operate the exact same way as most cheap n cheerful equipment manufacturers do. The problem with nearly all cheap gear is you often DON'T get what you pay for. Those little $99 mixers fall apart. Pay $150 and get a slightly better one that DOESNT fall apart - Spirit or Yamaha. Won't sound much better but will at least last the next few weeks.

Behringer gear is shi.t. Really shi.t

In fact I can't say it enough - it's shi.t beyond the biggest shi.t a dead dog might do evacuating it's bowels as it's decaying bloated alimentary canal collapses. Combine all the rancid turds the world has ever seen and you STILL won't get close to the unique shi.t quality of Behringer gear.

And you work for a company that manufactures defecation. And you put yelow LEDs behind your "toobs" to make 'em glow. ******** rip off merchants.... "extending a hand" my distended penis.....
Old 8th July 2008
Lives for gear

I have had this behringer eurorack mixer for about 8 years and it still works with not one problem...I dont use it anymore, but it does work...I do use my behringer ldc mic once in a while..sounds close to my high end mics..through a good pre of course...
There is nothing wrong with behringer for the price..I know alot of people the blast on them but secretly have some laying around!!!

I say..If you love and want to make and record music..dont let anything stop you..I will bet that the right person could make a hit record with all behringer gear!!! Because it's been done with worse!!!

STOP HATE"IN
Old 8th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
Behringer don't operate much different from many other budget companies.

However - one thing IS true - they make a load of overpriced bad sounding shi.t.

That's right - i said overpriced. Most (but not all) of their gear isn't worth the small bucks you pay. It's poorly made, poorly designed and not fit for the purpose at any price. There are SOME useful bits of gear - but invariably pay the tiny bit more and buy the yamaha equivalent - if you want cheap.

How you can come on here and claim Behringer don't copy designs is beyond me - look at the number of court cases you answer too....remember the MX8000?

I cannot single out Behringer as being some great evil company - they operate the exact same way as most cheap n cheerful equipment manufacturers do. The problem with nearly all cheap gear is you often DON'T get what you pay for. Those little $99 mixers fall apart. Pay $150 and get a slightly better one that DOESNT fall apart - Spirit or Yamaha. Won't sound much better but will at least last the next few weeks.

Behringer gear is shi.t. Really shi.t

In fact I can't say it enough - it's shi.t beyond the biggest shi.t a dead dog might do evacuating it's bowels as it's decaying bloated alimentary canal collapses. Combine all the rancid turds the world has ever seen and you STILL won't get close to the unique shi.t quality of Behringer gear.

And you work for a company that manufactures defecation. And you put yelow LEDs behind your "toobs" to make 'em glow. ******** rip off merchants.... "extending a hand" my distended penis.....
I only wish they would copy more high end gear..even if they got just alittle close to the real thing...I would buy a behringer mic that came at least a little close to a U87 for $200.00 befor I would buy the over priced original!! YES I have used one..and yes ..some of my cheaper mics sound better!!!now jump on that!!!thumbsup
Old 9th July 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearaddict View Post
I only wish they would copy more high end gear..even if they got just alittle close to the real thing...I would buy a behringer mic that came at least a little close to a U87 for $200.00 befor I would buy the over priced original!! YES I have used one..and yes ..some of my cheaper mics sound better!!!now jump on that!!!thumbsup
you're misguided.....heh

I have a LOT of mic's.... and I mean a LOT. On the whole - you get what you pay for. U87's are in no way expensive. They're a moderately priced mic. But then again they're also a moderate performing mic. I have some budget mic's that sound cool - but I cannot recall any GREAT cheap mic. On sound alone I have a number of GREAT sounding mics - and I can tell ya, few of them are cheaper than £900 - the great majority being over £1500. At the cheaper end - it tends to be the dynamics - the 441s or RE-20s - that kind of thing. I like those.... I DO even like Se's ribbon mic. But on the whole - things like U87 (even the modern ones) out perform cheaper mics - so overpriced.... no, that'd be like saying GML eq's where overpriced.
Old 9th July 2008

Quote:
I have had this behringer eurorack mixer for about 8 years and it still works with not one problem...I dont use it anymore, but it does work...I do use my behringer ldc mic once in a while..sounds close to my high end mics..through a good pre of course...
There is nothing wrong with behringer for the price..I know alot of people the blast on them but secretly have some laying around!!!

I say..If you love and want to make and record music..dont let anything stop you..I will bet that the right person could make a hit record with all behringer gear!!! Because it's been done with worse!!!

STOP HATE"IN
aye - but on the whole it hasn't. No hate. But it is crap.

I've had several huge selling hits - and worked quite a few soundtracks for A list movies TV and games. And yes - elements of Behringer have been involved in some - but pretty much not in the signal path to record! HEadphone monitoring etc... live room talk back and all that.

Anyway - it is all about the music, but it's a little easier when you're not fighting the gear.
Old 9th July 2008
Lives for gear

You know how they cut costs? They don't put any resources into their manuals!
I recently got a FCB1010 and BCR2000. Some of the best purchases I've ever made!
But I wouldn't have a clue how to program either of them if it wasn't for the extensive online information and help from other owners!
I would love to have versions of these same pieces of gear with slightly better build quality. But the equivalent Mackie and Roland items cost WAY more, not just a little.
It would be nice if someone came along and filled in the middleground, but it's cheaper to buy several BCR2000s than one Mackie Control C4 Pro.
Granted, the Mackie has a few features the Behringer doesn't, but we're talking about EIGHT TIMES the price! Give me something in between!
Old 9th July 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopppish View Post
You know how they cut costs? They don't put any resources into their manuals!
I recently got a FCB1010 and BCR2000. Some of the best purchases I've ever made!
But I wouldn't have a clue how to program either of them if it wasn't for the extensive online information and help from other owners!
I would love to have versions of these same pieces of gear with slightly better build quality. But the equivalent Mackie and Roland items cost WAY more, not just a little.
It would be nice if someone came along and filled in the middleground, but it's cheaper to buy several BCR2000s than one Mackie Control C4 Pro.
Granted, the Mackie has a few features the Behringer doesn't, but we're talking about EIGHT TIMES the price! Give me something in between!
Come back in a year and tell us how they're working - granted if you use them once a week for a few hours on saturday then you'll probably be fine.

Use them 8 hours plus a day for a year and see if hey survive. THATs what you pay for - build quality (not particularly notable in Mackie either). The BCR2000 is, functionally, a good piece of kit. I am dubious about it's "surviving" credentials in the professional environment.
Old 9th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Come back in a year and tell us how they're working - granted if you use them once a week for a few hours on saturday then you'll probably be fine.

Use them 8 hours plus a day for a year and see if hey survive. THATs what you pay for - build quality (not particularly notable in Mackie either). The BCR2000 is, functionally, a good piece of kit. I am dubious about it's "surviving" credentials in the professional environment.
I have a few behringer bcf2000's for about 6 years now..they are in use everyday..even sunday..and I useualy work about 8 hours BREAK than maby another 3-4 hours..There still going strong.
OK now you can tell me why thats a bad thing!!tutt
Old 9th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
you're misguided.....heh

I have a LOT of mic's.... and I mean a LOT. On the whole - you get what you pay for. U87's are in no way expensive. They're a moderately priced mic. But then again they're also a moderate performing mic. I have some budget mic's that sound cool - but I cannot recall any GREAT cheap mic. On sound alone I have a number of GREAT sounding mics - and I can tell ya, few of them are cheaper than £900 - the great majority being over £1500. At the cheaper end - it tends to be the dynamics - the 441s or RE-20s - that kind of thing. I like those.... I DO even like Se's ribbon mic. But on the whole - things like U87 (even the modern ones) out perform cheaper mics - so overpriced.... no, that'd be like saying GML eq's where overpriced.
Ok cool...If you dont think that there is a person on this earth that could make a hit record useing behringer mic's..then your crazy.
Im sure it has not been done..but it could be...If your anygood at what you do..
Old 9th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok cool...If you dont think that there is a person on this earth that could make a hit record useing behringer mic's..then your crazy. Im sure it has not been done..but it could be...If your anygood at what you do.
I'm sure that there are plenty of people who could make a hit record using Behringer microphones...but I'm also sure that there's a good reason that they don't.
Old 9th July 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:

I but I cannot recall any GREAT cheap mic.

SM57 maybe?
Old 9th July 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
SM57 maybe?
useable - not great.
useful - not great.

Sometimes he right flavour for the job - but not great.

As for the Behringer claims - of course hits COULD be recorded with such gear. If you want to take the risk with your performers. But they don't sound good - I wouldnt stick the up in front of Stacey Watton (premier double bass player on countless hits and soundtracks) or Maurice Murphy (trumpet on Star Wars and everything else you've ever heard). That'd be nuts. - It'd sound terrible.

Regardless of whether i'm any good or whether I know anything - I AM put in charge of the money for pretty big recording projects - mostly soundtrack work and often featuring contemporary singing stars. I've got the six figure budget - what do you think would happen if the music supervisor turned up to the session and saw me plugging in a Behringer mic for their $50,000 contracted superstar singer?

I'm working quite a lot of RnB vocalists this summer - all very experienced and two quite well known - they're all very picky about pulling out certain frequencies in their voices. They know what mic's and amps they prefer to use. I've not yet been asked for the Behringer toys.... It's not always the super luxury gear, but it's often a C800 or 251 or Blue Bottle etc.

I'd be very impressed if Jnay comes in later this week, or Baaba Maal next week, and asks for a B1.
Old 9th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duardo View Post
I'm sure that there are plenty of people who could make a hit record using Behringer microphones...but I'm also sure that there's a good reason that they don't.
I agree with that!!!
Old 9th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
useable - not great.
useful - not great.

As for the Behringer claims - of course hits COULD be recorded with such gear. If you want to take the risk with your performers. But they don't sound good - I wouldnt stick the up in front of Stacey Watton (premier double bass player on countless hits and soundtracks) or Maurice Murphy (trumpet on Star Wars and everything else you've ever heard). That'd be nuts. - It'd sound terrible.

Regardless of whether i'm any good or whether I know anything - I AM put in charge of the money for pretty big recording projects - mostly soundtrack work and often featuring contemporary singing stars. I've got the six figure budget - what do you think would happen if the music supervisor turned up to the session and saw me plugging in a Behringer mic for their $50,000 contracted superstar singer?

I'm working quite a lot of RnB vocalists this summer - all very experienced and two quite well known - they're all very picky about pulling out certain frequencies in their voices. They know what mic's and amps they prefer to use. I've not yet been asked for the Behringer toys.... It's not always the super luxury gear, but it's often a C800 or 251 or Blue Bottle etc.

I'd be very impressed if Jnay comes in later this week, or Baaba Maal next week, and asks for a B1.
I see where your comeing from..but if the artist had no clue about gear...you could get a hit record with the cheap stuff!!

I have herd music done with low budget gear..of chorse mastered with high end gear and it soud just as good..if not better sometimes than a six figure recording on cd!!

I would not do it either...but it has..and can be done!!

dont get me wrong..if I worked at a studio that had a whole locker full of high end mic's..yes I would go for them befor anything.
But if you do not have that luxury.low end can get the job done..and sit right at the charts with the high end CD!!!
Old 9th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
SM57 maybe?

useable - not great.
useful - not great.

I don't know, I would say that, coupled with a good preamp and on the right source, the SM57 can be great.

I also wouldn't consider it a cheap microphone, though...inexpensive, sure, but as far as running the gamut of dynamic microphones is concerned, I'd say it's a mid-priced microphone. A cheap dynamic I'd say would be a $30-$50 microphone...
Old 10th July 2008
500 series nutjob

Quote:
I don't know, I would say that, coupled with a good preamp and on the right source, the SM57 can be great.

I also wouldn't consider it a cheap microphone, though...inexpensive, sure, but as far as running the gamut of dynamic microphones is concerned, I'd say it's a mid-priced microphone. A cheap dynamic I'd say would be a $30-$50 microphone...
+1
Old 10th July 2008

Quote:
I see where your comeing from..but if the artist had no clue about gear...you could get a hit record with the cheap stuff!!

I have herd music done with low budget gear..of chorse mastered with high end gear and it soud just as good..if not better sometimes than a six figure recording on cd!!

I would not do it either...but it has..and can be done!!

dont get me wrong..if I worked at a studio that had a whole locker full of high end mic's..yes I would go for them befor anything.
But if you do not have that luxury.low end can get the job done..and sit right at the charts with the high end CD!!!

Of course.

Yes it CAN be done. But it's easier in god rooms with great gear. And great talent! And someone in charge who knows what they're doing. And time do it!!

Yes - there will ALWAYS be an exception. there are records that have sold millions that cost peanuts to make. There are great records badly recorded that still are great.

But on the whole - the rock n roll industry is a minor part of recording. When it comes to capturing the LSO or a voiceover from a major actor in a movie - use good gear and then you've moved most of the muck ups to yourself !! It's about trusting the gear - not necessarily about getting just the right mojo from a $30 mic.... of course those things DO happen, but they are accidental and not often desired in 90% of the recording world - of which rock, pop, RnB and hip hop form a very very small part.
Old 10th July 2008

Quote:

that would come in at point number three!
Old 10th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Of course.

Yes it CAN be done. But it's easier in god rooms with great gear. And great talent! And someone in charge who knows what they're doing. And time do it!!

Yes - there will ALWAYS be an exception. there are records that have sold millions that cost peanuts to make. There are great records badly recorded that still are great.

But on the whole - the rock n roll industry is a minor part of recording. When it comes to capturing the LSO or a voiceover from a major actor in a movie - use good gear and then you've moved most of the muck ups to yourself !! It's about trusting the gear - not necessarily about getting just the right mojo from a $30 mic.... of course those things DO happen, but they are accidental and not often desired in 90% of the recording world - of which rock, pop, RnB and hip hop form a very very small part.
+1..I was only in the begining trying to answer the po question..you can get a good recording with behringer gear! WOULD I try it...NO..I have spent a lot of doe (for a poor boy) on my gear and got rid of my behringer stuff (except the daw mixer bcf2000) because I started getting higher budget clients and wanted to make the best recording I could..but if I was in a pinch..I wouldnt be all upset if I had to use a behringer compressor for the day..It did its job..it gave me something cheap to learn with! Im glad there is gear like behringer...It was all I could afford at one time!!

There is no reason to bash behringer..it is made for beginers and, people with low doe, but some people act like Behringer came and stole all their client's..or is it that they just spent their saveings on a high end compressor and find out behringer makes one that comes close and, that makes them hate...I dont really know, but damn some people hate to much!!!
Old 11th July 2008
Lives for gear

One more thing about those cheap 57's and 58's--they are built like tanks. Try dropping a Behringer mic off a four foot stage 3 or 4 times and see if it keeps working.
Old 11th July 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
useable - not great.
useful - not great.

I don't know. A SM57 is a studio classic and has been used on a lot of high profile records throughout history and today.
Old 29th January 2009
Here for the gear

Behringer definitely has its flailings, and most pros that can afford to avoid its products. However, its not like the rest of the manufacturers in the industry are saints. I once read that a long time back Gibson guitars found that by raising the price of their guitars, they could also raised their sales. When people fork out more dough, they tend to feel a lot better about what they purchased. Value is a lot more subjective than many people would have you believe, and the price a manufacture sets can be as much a marketing decision as an actual reflection of production costs.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search