The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How is this behringer stuff so cheap? sumtin not right Control Surfaces
Old 12th March 2006
  #31
Gear Addict
 
ShamansDream's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermionic
...yet takes so little care composing the message as to negate taking a few seconds to run the text through a spell-checker...
You guys use spell checkers
weer du ey git 1 o-doze?
Old 12th March 2006
  #32
Lives for gear
 
Thermionic's Avatar
 

Hendrix did not play out of tune because he couldn‘t be bothered - are you suggesting he played “out of tune” because he didn’t care? Hendrix’s tuning was intentional; not an issue you can parallel with not taking care over making a point - quite the opposite. If you’re looking to discredit a parallel, then find another one because Hendrix cared about his tuning, even though it may have been “out” in the academic sense.

And FYI, if you go back and read my post, I directed the spelling comment at two different posters, not just Orange (who took the whole thing very graciously I must say).

Feel free to have the last word.

Justin
Old 12th March 2006
  #33
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermionic

Feel free to have the last word.

Justin
Old 12th March 2006
  #34
Lives for gear
 
orange's Avatar
 

hiya

FWIW it wasn't lazyness (correction - laziness ) that made me spell the word wrong. I actually thought it was the correct spelling (even after rereading my 'previewed' post), I'll write it out 100 times later just so I won't make the mistake again, but whatever, I still thought my point was clear.

On gearslutz it seems like Behringer have a bad-rap and I'm not totally sure why. I feel that some of it is gear snobbery. I'm not above doing this myself, for example I wouldn't buy a modern epiphone gibson-copy guitar even thought I love the 60s epiphones. They are probably great guitars but I just don't like the idea of a copy. That being said I wouldn't criticise anybody 'on a budget' using one, but 'just not liking the idea of them' is not a decent and rational argument.

To describe Behringer as (quote) 'the most amoral manufacturer the audio industry has ever seen' without any real evidence seems a little strong. I suggest you do some research into the past-history of Telefunken (Germany not USA !!) not picking on them specifically but they have already cropped up on this thread.

Essentially to throw in a complicated (and possibly contradictory) ethical point to justify someones dislike of a product seems a little cheap. Especially as the issue of labour usage in the far east is such a complicated topic.

I wouldn't force anybody to use behringer, or any other product, but I've been quite happy with my behringer cable tester and the ECM8000 (I think that's the right number) reference mic* for room acoustic testing (both highly recommended). Total price for the two items about $50 ! Knowing that they were made by slave-labour doesn't make me sleep any easier, but neither does buying just about any item of clothing I wear, or warming the planet by driving a car etc etc.


PS I'm now double checking my spelling by cutting a pasting into a word document. It slows down my posting but at least I won't upset the spelling police again.

* - mic is correct - mike is wrong. Better make a note as I will ignore any questions about which mike is recommended for xyz and only read/respond to posts regarding mics. I suggest we all do the same and then we can rid Gearslutz of lazy, sloppy and ignorant posters. heh heh heh
Old 13th March 2006
  #35
Lives for gear
 
Thermionic's Avatar
 

Quote:
To describe Behringer as (quote) 'the most amoral manufacturer the audio industry has ever seen' without any real evidence seems a little strong. I suggest you do some research into the past-history of Telefunken (Germany not USA !!).
No evidence? See below. I’m dying to read about another OEM who’s even in the same ballpark in terms of IP theft…

Aphex Exciter (Aphex sued successfully, transcript may be on Google)
Roland / Boss pedals (Currently in litigation)
Pioneer DJ mixers
Genelec Monitors
Line6 Pod
Mackie 8-Buss and Onyx: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthrea...ight=behringer

Various utility products such as cable testers etc (try a search)

Links (more firms have been ripped off btw, try a search): https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthrea...ight=behringer

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthrea...ight=behringer

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthrea...ight=behringer

Please understand that under normal circumstances I would NEVER correct someone’s spelling - pedantry is not my style, but IP-theft is something that ruins peoples’ lives, and if you're going to comment on such a serious issue, the least you can do is cut-and-paste your response into Word.

I’m waiting for someone to tell me about another OEM that has stolen so many designs…let alone the thread starter's concern about underpaid workers…

Oh yeah, do tell me about TFK… You mean they worked for Hitler? So did Mercedes and Audi (Auto Union); what were their engineers to do, tell the Fuhrer to fukk off and have their family shot?

Peace,
Justin
Old 13th March 2006
  #36
Lives for gear
 

Another last word...

As for Hendrix...

I would never suggest or assume that tuning was not important to him...but never despite the performance.

That is what him great.

Hendrix was great, he was in the moment, very passionate and he didn't let his tuning stop him from creating or expressing his message. He played out of tune often...simply by nature.


Chet Atkins was great, he was in the moment, very passionate and he didn't let his tuning stop him from creating or expressing his message. He played in tune often...simply by nature.

Respect,
Old 13th March 2006
  #37
Lives for gear
 
Thermionic's Avatar
 

Quote:
I feel that some of it is gear snobbery.
No. It's because they steal their designs and make it difficult for innovative OEMs to gain backing to produce new products.

J
Old 13th March 2006
  #38
Lives for gear
 
Thermionic's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney Gene
Another last word...

As for Hendrix...

I would never suggest or assume that tuning was not important to him...but never despite the performance.

That is what him great.

Hendrix was great, he was in the moment, very passionate and he didn't let his tuning stop him from creating or expressing his message. He played out of tune often...simply by nature.


Chet Atkins was great, he was in the moment, very passionate and he didn't let his tuning stop him from creating or expressing his message. He played in tune often...simply by nature.

Respect,


J
Old 13th March 2006
  #39
Lives for gear
 
barefoot's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermionic
......they did such a thorough job that it even had the same fault, i.e. crosstalk in the sends...

...designs will be copied in China for half the price.
Shhh... Here's a dirty little secret.

Some products are being copied so exactly by Chinese companies because.................... shhhh.................... because they're made in the exactly same factories as the origionals.
Old 13th March 2006
  #40
Gear Addict
 
ShamansDream's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot
Shhh... Here's a dirty little secret.

Some products are being copied so exactly by Chinese companies because.................... shhhh.................... because they're made in the exactly same factories as the origionals.
....with the stuff that was rejected for the original name brand product...
Old 13th March 2006
  #41
Lives for gear
 
barefoot's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamansDream
....with the stuff that was rejected for the original name brand product...
No, it's simply Chinese manufacturers ripping off their customers' designs. Somebody hires them to manufacture an OEM product and they just turn around and sell the exact same thing to someone else. A few cosmetic alterations here and there, of course, maybe some cheaper components and they're good to go.
Old 13th March 2006
  #42
Lives for gear
 
orange's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermionic
No evidence? See below. I’m dying to read about another OEM who’s even in the same ballpark in terms of IP theft…
errr..up to that last post you HADN'T provided ANY real evidence - you have now, thanks !

can I point you towards:
http://home.earthlink.net/~mfweb/behringer.html
If you get chance I think you will find it an interesting read - I would encourage you to follow some of the newsgroup posting links on this page too.

I'm sure you will disagree with all the points raised but it does demonstrate that there are often TWO SIDES to a story. Be aware that this isn't my webpage, I have NO association with Behringer and have no specific axe to grind and have never 'defended' them before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermionic
Please understand that under normal circumstances I would NEVER correct someone’s spelling - pedantry is not my style, but IP-theft is something that ruins peoples’ lives, and if you're going to comment on such a serious issue, the least you can do is cut-and-paste your response into Word.
I thought you weren't going to mention my spelling again (or so you said twice previously) and again I don't believe my poor spelling means that I don't care about the subject or that my opinions or views are any lest valid. I've already apologised for my spelling but I apologise for it again. You seem to be suggesting that my lack of spelling (just the one spelling mistake !) shows a lack of respect for the subject, this seems a little harsh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermionic
I’m waiting for someone to tell me about another OEM that has stolen so many designs…
I can't tell you of another OEM that has stolen (or borrowed) so many (?) other peoples designs, but Behringer must be one of the largest audio OEMs in the world so I don't find it surprising that they have more legal issues than other companies. Be aware that other audio manufactures DO have legal issues - you can do a google search yourself if you don't believe me.
Be aware that some of the court cases have been settled out of court - the Mackie case for example - and interestingly the Behringer product is still on sale. Additionally in the mackie case Sam Ash were also sued - are they equally as immoral as Behringer ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermionic
…let alone the thread starter's concern about underpaid workers……
I can however point you towards MANY MANY MANY manufactures that have a similar disregard towards unpaid workers - in fact I thought I already had !


I am not trying to say that Behringer (as a company) are angels. I agree that they have done some very dodgy things over the years. But I am just suggesting that they are no worse than other major corporations (apple for example) so why are people specifically targeting them for a abuse. I still am not really sure why this is and other replies haven't really made it clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermionic
Oh yeah, do tell me about TFK… You mean they worked for Hitler? So did Mercedes and Audi (Auto Union); what were their engineers to do, tell the Fuhrer to fukk off and have their family shot?
Yep, you're correct, but I wasn't accusing TFK engineers of doing anything immoral - I was accusing TFK 'the company' of being immoral much like you are accusing Behringer of being immoral. I don't suppose you are suggesting that Behringer employees individually are guilty of the offences you accuse Behringer GMBH of ? - I would suggest it would be more useful if we try to view 'The Corporations' as seperate entities from the employees that work for them. Incidentially these same accusations can be directed towards many many compainies (EMI and Marconi (rip) in the UK for example). My point is that things are not as simple or clear cut as 'The guys in the black hats' are bad and 'The guys in the white hats' are good !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermionic
Peace,
Justin
It seems that this has degenerated into 'handbags at dawn' and we are not going to agree or reach any meaningful conclusions. You are welcome to your view of the world, in which Behringer are the only evil and devious monsters in a world full of angelic audio manufacturers. So I gracefully bow to your greater intellect (and spelling ability) and step out of this argument.

si
Old 16th March 2006
  #43
Lives for gear
 
dougb415's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondjames
You might start to fel better when it stops working in a few months time... and it will. :-)
I'm no shill for Behringer and I rarely use their stuff anymore, BUT.... every piece of gear that I have bought from them (monitors, condenser mics, pre-amp, mixer, DI, effects pedals, etc) still works just fine. All of the LEDs work, no channels have died; heck, the DI hadn't been used in over a year but we pulled it out of the bag with an old battery still in it and it powered up and worked like a charm.
Old 22nd March 2006
  #44
Huh.

I've been at many studios with Behringer headphone amps. Have one of my own. Mine is the only one I know that doesn't have any busted channels yet. But then again, I've only used it for, like, a total of 5 days. At the studio I work at, we have 2 entirely broken and useless Behringer headphone amps and one semi-working one (7 channels of the 8 pass audio; 2 of the audio-passing channels often only pass on the right channel). Racking up my Behringer headphone amp experiences, I'd say that literally 9/10 are broken in some way.

The track record of Behringer mixers is not much better. I have seen 2 that after light use DIDN'T have blown channels or scratchy pan pots. The reliability of the Realistic-branded Radio Shack mixers, in my experience, is higher than a Behringer product.

This is NOT professional equipment. Sorry.
Old 22nd March 2006
  #45
Lives for gear
 
De chromium cob's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oudplayer
Huh.

I've been at many studios with Behringer headphone amps. Have one of my own. Mine is the only one I know that doesn't have any busted channels yet. But then again, I've only used it for, like, a total of 5 days. At the studio I work at, we have 2 entirely broken and useless Behringer headphone amps and one semi-working one (7 channels of the 8 pass audio; 2 of the audio-passing channels often only pass on the right channel). Racking up my Behringer headphone amp experiences, I'd say that literally 9/10 are broken in some way.
By comparison, my Rane HC6 headphone amp has worked flawlessly for the past 10+ years and its not like it was very expensive....
Old 22nd March 2006
  #46
Lives for gear
 
Rod Gervais's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedcrop
I disagree with this. Microsoft corners the market because there is no competition. There really is no other software for networking, office use etc.. that is even close. It aint because it is the cheapest because it is not the cheapest. It is the only.
Wrong,

It corners the market because it isn't afraid to provide the money required to kill it's competitors.

Who do you think is funding the attack against Linux, which is now being bundled with IBM business systems computers - is based on the original Unix - is an extremely stable operating system (more stable than any of the MS operating systems - exception being the NT based (windows 2000 Pro) system which was NOT designed primarily by MS - but rather they in conjunction with SUN - IBM and Apple,,, although(of course) they screwed the rest of the team once things were completed.

Sorry,

Bill Gates is a snake - crawls on his belly - always has - always will - it began when he set-up the theft of DOS - and has continued throughout today -

My only hope is that IBM is correct - Linux is he way of the future.......... and Microsoft can turn into the nice little "home owners operating system"

Sincerely,

Rod
Old 16th April 2008
  #47
Here for the gear
 

I am a dedicated BEHRINGER employee for 7 years. And it hurts my pride when you people talk trash and criticize something or some one you don’t really know. We have the full line of RnD from Conceptual design to Prototyping. We never copy anything from anybody. We have a whole wide of gears and products with reasonable price (not cheap!) Because we dedicate ourselves in sourcing the best components at the lowest price. Each of them passes thru our intensive testing and standard before it goes to your hand. No China labor is not cheap at all compare to some Asian countries. No we never employ minors either. No we never compromise price with quality. We are simply a company willing to help those less fortunate people to fulfill their dreams of becoming musicians thru our rock bottom price. And as long as they are around, as long as there as more less fortunate people, rest assure we will be here to extend our hand and make their dreams come true. Because there is nothing wrong on helping others. And Yes! this is trully a professional equipment.

Obetski

Old 16th April 2008
  #48
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oudplayer View Post
Huh.

I've been at many studios with Behringer headphone amps. Have one of my own. Mine is the only one I know that doesn't have any busted channels yet. But then again, I've only used it for, like, a total of 5 days. At the studio I work at, we have 2 entirely broken and useless Behringer headphone amps and one semi-working one (7 channels of the 8 pass audio; 2 of the audio-passing channels often only pass on the right channel). Racking up my Behringer headphone amp experiences, I'd say that literally 9/10 are broken in some way.

The track record of Behringer mixers is not much better. I have seen 2 that after light use DIDN'T have blown channels or scratchy pan pots. The reliability of the Realistic-branded Radio Shack mixers, in my experience, is higher than a Behringer product.

This is NOT professional equipment. Sorry.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
You have your options you can return it for a new one. if it's really used for 5 days? all electronics products can broke down man. we were performing live on stage when a 3 week old PEAVEY guitar amp busted down. now, how humuliating is that? can I say PEAVEY is not a professional equipment?

Obetski
Old 16th April 2008
  #49
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oudplayer View Post
Huh.

I've been at many studios with Behringer headphone amps. Have one of my own. Mine is the only one I know that doesn't have any busted channels yet. But then again, I've only used it for, like, a total of 5 days. At the studio I work at, we have 2 entirely broken and useless Behringer headphone amps and one semi-working one (7 channels of the 8 pass audio; 2 of the audio-passing channels often only pass on the right channel). Racking up my Behringer headphone amp experiences, I'd say that literally 9/10 are broken in some way.
.
I cracked up when I read this! my 4 channel Beh. headph amp power supply crapped out after a week. Did get fixed under warrenty. not too long after one channel died. At that time I had a room in a friends studio, he had one as well. between us we had 5 working channels!

But hey,... they were cheap and worked for long enough as a stopgap: my friend got an aviom system, and headph system woes were over.

"Each of them passes thru our intensive testing and standard before it goes to your hand"

This made me laugh nearly as much...

B
Old 16th April 2008
  #50
Lives for gear
 
backplay's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.delrosario View Post
I am a dedicated BEHRINGER employee for 7 years. And it hurts my pride when you people talk trash and criticize something or some one you don’t really know. We have the full line of RnD from Conceptual design to Prototyping. We never copy anything from anybody. We have a whole wide of gears and products with reasonable price (not cheap!) Because we dedicate ourselves in sourcing the best components at the lowest price. Each of them passes thru our intensive testing and standard before it goes to your hand. No China labor is not cheap at all compare to some Asian countries. No we never employ minors either. No we never compromise price with quality. We are simply a company willing to help those less fortunate people to fulfill their dreams of becoming musicians thru our rock bottom price. And as long as they are around, as long as there as more less fortunate people, rest assure we will be here to extend our hand and make their dreams come true. Because there is nothing wrong on helping others. And Yes! this is trully a professional equipment.

Obetski

hehhehheh

Walters? Blender? Cute Girl?
C'mon, who's joking with us...
Old 16th April 2008
  #51
Gear Addict
 
BeerHunter's Avatar
Wow, there certainly is some sensitivity when it comes to Behringer products. As entertaining as all this is, I'm not sure what spelling and company ethics has to do with the original post.
In hopes to put this thread back on track, here is what I think (ethics and spelling aside).
I believe they can produce their products for cheap because of the price they are able to purchase parts at (by buying in volume). I'm sure they are the biggest client to many of the suppliers. With that comes great purchasing power.
Old 17th April 2008
  #52
Gear Maniac
 
sluttygearhere's Avatar
 

what's so bad about being a gearsnob?

personally, if I am considered a gear snob because behringer is crap .. then that Is perfectly ok with me. If wanting to use better than crappy gear and using stuff that actually works every time I go to use it and actually sounds halfway decent makes me a gearsnob .. than by golly what the hell? I am a gearsnob.

As far as Behri "Borrowing" (love how that term is thrown around) designs. How the hell do you call copying a design from top to bottom Borrowing? Where I am from that's stealing. I should have tried this is school when I got caught cheating off a test. "I just borrowed the answers I wasn't cheating". What a load of crap that is.

There's a huge difference in borrowing and stealing.

Borrowing would be using someone else's design for an inspiration, or even upgrading or updating the (hence making better) design they are borrowing from. What behri does isn't even that. They just copy it straight over .. sell it super cheap and slap their name on it. How is this any different than software or music piracy? That would be like me taking your song and changing the title and publishing it under my band's name, but playing it completely out of tune, or taking a waves plugin and putting my company name on it and adding a bunch of bugs so it crashes constantly and selling it for 400 dollars instead of 5000.

I can't believe anyone on this forum would seriously defend this company in any respect of the matter. That seriously disturbs me.

And if you don't agree with this .. that's cool .. I don't really care. This is my statement on it and I really don't have an interest in arguing it. If you want to defend this company then nothing I say is going to change your mind at this point.thumbsup

-- Ben
Old 17th April 2008
  #53
Gear Nut
 
glowworm's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelabs View Post
I received one of those musicians friends catalogs in the mail and was browsing. I am blown away by how cheap this behringer stuff is. This little $99 mixer we bought for the shop is not bad for checking mics. It's build quality is not all that bad either. If $99 is the end user price and the musician friends people buy it for lets say $60. Christ I don't get it, just the chassis with paint etc. is that much. I know they make thousands of these things but still. I am a small manufacturer and use only the best parts but even if I used **** parts and made thousands it would have to cost more, I know what parts cost. Is something unethical going on here? Any insights to what the deal with Behringer is. I heard the whole Mackie / Behringer story, but that didn't seem to slow them down. I almost feel guilty buying the stuff, like someone suffered in order to satisfy my materialistic urges.
Jonathan
I wonder when they are coming out with a 360 degree phase DIheh
Old 17th April 2008
  #54
Gear Nut
 
glowworm's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosound View Post
I glad Behringer keeps the competeors on their toes there not the only company that has took someone eles ideal Ford introduce mass distribrution and then everybody jump on the band wagon. The list is endless at the patent office about modifications to the same product's new and improved, Behringer helps the economics by supply and demand. Company's like Behringer get a bad rap because of this and that but in reality more peeeps own their products then any other audio company because of the masses can afford them . All company's have rejects at one point and time. Like I've ststed before Behringer sales speak for themselves. Hope they start making recording software that would be interesting.
how many bugs do you think would be in that program? or how little do you think you could do with it if they tried to keep developement costs down?
Old 17th April 2008
  #55
Gear Nut
 
glowworm's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.delrosario View Post
I am a dedicated BEHRINGER employee for 7 years. And it hurts my pride when you people talk trash and criticize something or some one you don’t really know. We have the full line of RnD from Conceptual design to Prototyping. We never copy anything from anybody. We have a whole wide of gears and products with reasonable price (not cheap!) Because we dedicate ourselves in sourcing the best components at the lowest price. Each of them passes thru our intensive testing and standard before it goes to your hand. No China labor is not cheap at all compare to some Asian countries. No we never employ minors either. No we never compromise price with quality. We are simply a company willing to help those less fortunate people to fulfill their dreams of becoming musicians thru our rock bottom price. And as long as they are around, as long as there as more less fortunate people, rest assure we will be here to extend our hand and make their dreams come true. Because there is nothing wrong on helping others. And Yes! this is trully a professional equipment.

Obetski
I would disagree. Behringer stuff Is Cheap!!!!! 4 gates for 100 bucks is Cheap!!!.
that being said i wouldnt call it "professional equitment". I believe the term is "professional backup equitment". the only time I ever see behringer stuff in a professional setting is when something fails and a replacement needs to be gotten SAP. An Amp or a mixer fails, chances are if you need it that night and you cant rent one you are going to be getting a shinny new behringer with noisy pres and crappy eqs. I own one and should know. need to upgrade.
Old 17th April 2008
  #56
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
I glad Behringer keeps the competeors on their toes there not the only company that has took someone eles ideal Ford introduce mass distribrution and then everybody jump on the band wagon. The list is endless at the patent office about modifications to the same product's new and improved, Behringer helps the economics by supply and demand.
They don't just take ideas...they blatantly copy products. And I don't believe I've ever hear anyone say that one of Behringer's copies is an improvement over the original...and I realize that not all of their products are copies, but I'm not going to support a company that is built on theft, even if some of their products aren't copies...just like I'm not going to buy groceries from a store that stays in business because they sell crack out the back door (not that I'm saying that I'm aware of such a store).

Quote:
Additionally I'm not sure that I'm trying to defend 'the most amoral manufacturer the audio industry has ever seen (???)' but I am trying to balance the debate and trying to make a rational contribution. I am pointing out that many, many manufacturers borrow ideas and use a cheap far eastern manufacturing base - so to criticize on that alone is a little thin.
I'm not aware of any manufacturer less moral than Behringer...and again, they do more than just borrow ideas. The reason that I have never and will never own any Behringer equipment is because of this. The fact that their quality control is so bad just makes it easier...the fact that they manufacture in China really isn't an issue for me, but it certainly does explain how they keep their costs so low (in answer to the original post). And I suppose employing good lawyers is cheaper than real R&D...

Quote:
On gearslutz it seems like Behringer have a bad-rap and I'm not totally sure why. I feel that some of it is gear snobbery. I'm not above doing this myself, for example I wouldn't buy a modern epiphone gibson-copy guitar even thought I love the 60s epiphones. They are probably great guitars but I just don't like the idea of a copy. That being said I wouldn't criticise anybody 'on a budget' using one, but 'just not liking the idea of them' is not a decent and rational argument.
For me it has nothing to do with gear snobbery. Sure, I tend to prefer the higher-end stuff, but I still have several cheap pieces of gear I use from companies like Yamaha, ART, Presonus etc with no qualms (and they were probably all made in China, as were several of the higher-end pieces I use). My issue with them is purely ethical. I don't see the issue with Epiphone-branded Gibson copies as the same at all since they're essentially the same company.

Quote:
I wouldn't force anybody to use behringer, or any other product, but I've been quite happy with my behringer cable tester and the ECM8000 (I think that's the right number) reference mic* for room acoustic testing (both highly recommended).
The cable tester is one of the most obvious examples of Behringer's lack of ethics. It's pretty much an exact copy of Ebtech's Swizz Army cable tester, and the owner of Ebtech (who, I believe, is the designer as well) has stated publicly that the only reason he doesn't sue them is that he'd run out of money long before the case ever saw a courtroom.

Quote:
can I point you towards:
Similarities of Behringer Gear to that of Other Manufacturers
If you get chance I think you will find it an interesting read - I would encourage you to follow some of the newsgroup posting links on this page too.

I'm sure you will disagree with all the points raised but it does demonstrate that there are often TWO SIDES to a story.
I don't think that it really demonstrates anything of the sort. The fact that they've gotten off in court because of technicalities and the fact that not all of their products are direct copies does not change the fact that there's a pattern there of blatant arrogant theft.

Quote:
Be aware that some of the court cases have been settled out of court - the Mackie case for example - and interestingly the Behringer product is still on sale. Additionally in the mackie case Sam Ash were also sued - are they equally as immoral as Behringer ?
The product is no longer on sale in the United States. And Sam Ash was Behringer's US distributor at the time.

Quote:
As entertaining as all this is, I'm not sure what spelling and company ethics has to do with the original post.
Spelling not so much (although I do agree that presentation in general doesn't necessarily make a case, but certainly strengthens it) but Behringer's lack of ethics...both in regards to money saved in R&D as well as FCC certification...certainly does contribute to the price of their gear, along with other factors.

Quote:
what's deal with Cuba, this is 2006?
Aaah, didn't realize this thread was started so long ago at first...
Old 17th April 2008
  #57
Gear Addict
 

Good thread, 2006 or not.

I would like to know this:

I have listened to all the usual stories about Behringer's copyright infringements and such, and some say this is unfair towards Bear, since everyone does it.
Ok. Fair enough. But why don't we hear about it? I cannot recall any issues ever coming out in a big way from other manufacturers doing this on a semi-regular basis.

Are the others better at damage conrol with the press? Does Bear not care about the publicity as long as sales are good? I am not naive; I know industrial espionage and copying is an ongoing problem, but in a world as small as audio, surely such things would be heard as loudly if others indeed did them.

But why is Behringer then the only one we hear about again and again?
Old 18th April 2008
  #58
Gear Addict
 
Michael Maeurer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Closet View Post
But why is Behringer then the only one we hear about again and again?
Because Behringer was the first on the market with cheap gear and nearly everyone owned in their career sth of them.
Thomann had copies of B's UB mixers a while ago which were exactly the same but for less money. On last years Prolight&Sound there was a booth with EXACT copies of Behringer stuff with nearly identical names (REV2496 was called RISC2496 for example).

Interestingly there are some "Pearls" in their range even the Pros here in the forum do somehow "like", the ADA8000, a BCF,... and I must say I like my REV2496, the B-5 mics, the BCF2000, the BCN44, the headphone amps and the Sub (new in Studio). Works for me and I think this is all that counts. Who cares about brand if you get the sound you need and like? Some guys record vocals in the studio with a Shure Beta58, or have a look in the new thread about recording crappy sounds...
Old 18th April 2008
  #59
Lives for gear
 
octatonic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermionic View Post
No item of musical kit in my possession is Chinese-made, not one product. I have yet to hear one piece of audio made in China that sounds decent to my ears -
Try the Groove Tube Vipre then- it will knock your tits off.
Made in China.
Old 18th April 2008
  #60
vipre is not made in china.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Edwards / So much gear, so little time
12
bluesj / Gear free zone - shoot the breeze
11
Sieber / High end
15
alaskamother / Bass traps, acoustic panels, foam etc
3
LX3 / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music and Location Recording
15

Forum Jump
Forum Jump