The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Guitar Center, Albany NY: Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Old 15th July 2009
Guitar Center, Albany NY: Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Some people would call me "chronologically challenged," and showing up an hour before opening time at ANY OTHER STORE would mean lots of time to gaze at my reflection in the plate glass windows and wonder just how this idiot I'm staring at made it so far in life, unchaperoned...

But leave it to Mike and Bill to very graciously usher me in... you guys rock!
Old 15th July 2009
Lives for gear

really? that's weird. There's that one thread where everyone says all GC employees are rude idiots... are you sure you didn't end up at Sweetwater's front door instead? heh
Old 15th July 2009
Pretty sure... there's the poster of that "generic Sammy Hagar guy" holding a snowboard, or something? Or is that really Sammy Hagar?

I think the Albany, New York thing is the key to the whole highway... never seen anything but wide smiles and solid professionalism... and I get alot more attitude out of the kid handing me my coffee at Dunkin' Donuts than I've ever seen outta this crew. They're here to help, for a change, even if I've *ahem* momentarily misunderstood something about signal path, the way things are patched together, like you *may* have experienced yourself, time to time? Like the way a big brother will steer you straight?

As to why they're not open 24/7, like a grocery store or a bank, who knows...
Old 15th July 2009
Lives for gear

Guitar Center....

Even the good news is in the moan zone.
Old 15th July 2009
Jax
Lives for gear

Since you're talking about GC, I'm trying to find a reason to moan about this, but I can't. Maybe it should be moved to the good news section....
Old 15th July 2009
Jax
Lives for gear

Wait! I've got one. If those idiots knew how to do their job, they wouldn't let you in until it was actually time to open.

Somehow, that felt hollow. heh ('joking' emoticon added for the literally challenged)
Old 15th July 2009
I do have a Moan, after all!

Why, when they let me in an hour early, do they have to tell me they aren't stocking the Mogami headphone extension cords? Why not-- you, you... bastards!

WHY ME!?!
Old 16th July 2009
Jax
Lives for gear

Headphone ext cords? Man, I've been using the Hosa POS cords and they get the job done for a lot less dough than the Mogami. That said, I got what I paid for. 2 of them wouldn't let go of the T on my TRS cables without the T being ripped off and stuck inside the ****ing Hosa cord............ Luckily I can easily replace the 1/4" TRS ends on my headphone cables cos they unscrew, but Hosa just blows. I know, not a news flash. I will be investing in Mogami or similar next.
Old 16th July 2009
Gear Guru

It happens. I worked in the Pro Audio dept at Guitar Center for a couple of years. I knew my stuff and I was quite pleasant to deal with.

Hard to make a living, though.
Old 16th July 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
Headphone ext cords?...
The Mogami's are night and day different, more than that even--sunny side of Mercury to the shady side of Pluto different!

When I swapped them out for the old Hosa's I'd had since who knows when, man alive-- it's like the sound went from this pinched little squeezed image to a huge, expansive stereo field.

And in that moment, my philosophy changed from "as long as they can hear what's going on, who cares?" to "these bands deserve the very best-- even the drummers!"
Old 16th July 2009
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post

And in that moment, my philosophy changed from "as long as they can hear what's going on, who cares?" to "these bands deserve the very best-- even the drummers!"
As a drummer I resemble that remark. heh

Did the bands notice an improvement in the sound quality of their headphone mixes? What I'm trying to figure out is if the cost justifies the improvement, and if the better headphone cables pay for themselves in any way.

I know that when I've changed out a scratch vocal chain (board preamp, cheap dynamic) for a much better chain (flamingo, 4050) in the same session, the vocalist didn't seem to notice how much more open and full of a sound we were getting. Then again, she was wearing cans with a Hosa cord in the chain....

I'll be trying the Mogami soon.
Old 16th July 2009
Gear Nut

I did have to chuckle at this... I went to Musician's Friend and pulled up the Mogami headphone extension cables. Text beneath the "Buy Now" button says, "Finance now!" LOL!
Old 16th July 2009
Quote:
... Did the bands notice an improvement in the sound quality of their headphone mixes?....
Yes, yes, and yes-- and the way I knew it was that after that, I heard zero commentary about anything related to monitoring. When everything's fine, it goes unmentioned.

Of course, there are so many subtle influences surrounding any session, so much politics and soothsaying and clowning around-- really when you get down to it, all the 'nuances' of your place need to be in order, from the parking to the actual factors that control the sound, I'm not surprised your singer was oblivious to improvements, even drastic ones--

These people are not like you and me. They don't really 'register' in a concrete, critical way what is going on infront of their faces... they are there to serve their muse, to cut lose and sing a song... it's your job to make that as smooth and effortless a process as possible, at least that's what I've learned, and everything that you can do to make it as glorious as possible, like hearing themselves like they never have before and don't usually, helps to build a better vibe all 'round.

Even the bluegrass guys, you'd think they would prefer just the open air, facing each other? No way! They LOVE the sweetness and density of a cookin' headphone mix, a little verb maybe, just ultra-clarity of every last vibrating string!
Old 16th July 2009
Lives for gear

They let you in early, because they are scared of the wrath you would bestow upon them on GS.
Old 16th July 2009
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
These people are not like you and me. They don't really 'register' in a concrete, critical way what is going on infront of their faces... they are there to serve their muse, to cut lose and sing a song... it's your job to make that as smooth and effortless a process as possible, at least that's what I've learned, and everything that you can do to make it as glorious as possible, like hearing themselves like they never have before and don't usually, helps to build a better vibe all 'round.
You know, I've seen sessions get compromised when the band takes that muse-following a little too far into dreamland. I've watched them stop paying attention to the details of what it takes to make their recording sound great. Things like, "let's get you into the control room now" to the singer who's been yowling into the PA for a couple of hours... the same singer who seems to have forgotten our pre-pro talk about PA vocal bleed showing up BIG in the final mix.

Or "New song? Ok, I'm going to change a couple of mics for this one, so gimme 5 minutes." Did they listen? No! It was right into the next number and then questioning me later about why the start of that one good take didn't have guitars. "Oh, I brought it up but you guys didn't seem to want to stop the flow."

Baaahhh!! Not saying a good headphone mix is worthless to such people, but I hadda get it off my chest. Technically, we're in the moan zone... heh
Old 17th July 2009
Lives for gear

sheesh those albany guys are gunna make the rest of GC look bad...
i would have let you in early, but not put through the sale until after the usual opening hour... extra time for you to find things to add to your purchase....hehheh
Old 17th July 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaves666 View Post
They let you in early, because they are scared of the wrath you would bestow upon them on GS.
*Bats eyelashes, all innocent-like*

Quote:
... Did they listen? No!...
"Earth to drum booth, Earth to drum booth... do you read, drum booth?..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enginearing View Post
... i would have let you in early, but not put through the sale until after the usual opening hour... extra time for you to find things to add to your purchase....hehheh
Like that Pro Tools HD system I've been thinking about... yeah, they really blew it!
Old 17th July 2009
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal Device View Post
Guitar Center....

Even the good news is in the moan zone.

LOL...heh...nail on the head...

hey, joel - i'm glad they treat you well -

...i do seriously believe you're the only one in the entire universe...

i'm going with you next time...heh

Old 17th July 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye View Post
i'm going with you next time...heh

My very own posse!
Old 17th July 2009
Smile

Quote:
My very own posse!

yeah, joel - you, me and the hedgehogs!

cheers, man!

Old 20th July 2009
Gear Addict

This is hilarious, because I grew up in Albany (right near the Times Union building, actually) so I know that guitar center well. Some of the guys there are awesome. I have never had a problem with any of them. Maybe it's just the capital region? Who knows!

Joel I want to see your studio sometime. R u off route 2?
Old 20th July 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Some people would call me "chronologically challenged," and showing up an hour before opening time at ANY OTHER STORE would mean lots of time to gaze at my reflection in the plate glass windows and wonder just how this idiot I'm staring at made it so far in life, unchaperoned...

But leave it to Mike and Bill to very graciously usher me in... you guys rock!
Joel it was because they have saw some of your art work and wanted to buy !!! Priceless.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search