The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
IF anyone actually did plugins right...
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

IF anyone actually did plugins right...

IF anyone actually did plugins right, then the price of hardware would fall dramatically and become nearly obsolete overnight. The demand for control surfaces would go through the roof, and the average studio would save thousands in wiring, rack space and power costs.

Yet- they haven't. There is no LA-2A emulation that actually works just as well as the original for example. If there was, you'd find the real ones for sale for $200 to part for their transformers.

When software creeps up on hardware, prices fall. Software happens to do mixing and routing pretty well. Guess what, prices of mixers have fallen dramatically in the past 5 years. As much as the tape/digital debate rages on, prices of tape machines continue to fall.

Even for reverb/delay there have been some grounds made in software, but they still aren't there fully yet. A lexicon 480 costs less now than it did 10 years ago.

But digital preamp, eq and compressor emulations don't have it right.
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Guess what, prices of mixers have fallen dramatically in the past 5 years. As much as the tape/digital debate rages on, prices of tape machines continue to fall.
Are you talking specifically about the prices of used mixers? New ones haven't, as far as I'm aware...new lower-cost versions of consoles from SSL, API, Audient and others have been introduced, but the higher-end models are still selling for as much as they were before (aside from the SSL consoles, which aren't even being made any more, are they?)...

Quote:
Even for reverb/delay there have been some grounds made in software, but they still aren't there fully yet. A lexicon 480 costs less now than it did 10 years ago.
Again, you're talking used, right? Because the 480 was still in production about ten years ago...

Quote:
I don't know that preamp emulations will ever have it right, but there are some pretty impressive EQs and compressors out there...
Old 6th July 2009
If anything, if plugs start getting more and more accepted, they'll drive the cost of new hardware up, because the market will get smaller and smaller, requiring higher prices to justify continuing to be in the business of making it (at least at the high end of things.) With lower volumes, prices will tend to go up.

Of course some number of people would still buy hardware even if plugs were unambiguously as good, just because they want to have it. For me, I've just transitioned to a very small hardware based system, with just a handful of plugs. I did it more to just reduce choices and keep me concentrated on just getting it right as recorded as much as possible, instead of fiddling endlessly, which something like the Waves Platinum bundle allowed me to do.

And there is some sort of special mojo from real tubes and transformers it seems, and doing all that stuff during tracking, before conversion. It also vastly reduces the CPU burden when mainly you are just using the DAW as a recorder and editor.
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

don't worry, the singularity is near.
Old 6th July 2009

in the hands of the user. Listen to a Tchad Blake mix and see someone do more with plugins than many OTB mixers can do with a whole rack of sluttery......
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

I more or less agree as the original post applies to "prosumer" gear (Mackie boards, alesis comps, etc) but I more or less disagree as it applies to higher end stuff. Software has broadened the customer base and a lot of companies are designing gear towards that market and driving prices down. Mics are an espcially good example, when I bought my AT 4033a back in 199x (whatever year that was), it was revolutionary to get a condenser of that quality in that price range. Compare that to now when you can get a comparable tube condenser for half what I paid. There is no direct correlation there to software, though you could argue that it opened the door for demand based on an increase in home studios. Personally I will probably never buy an LA-2A or 1176LN, not only because I own a decent emulation on my UAD-2, but because of space and cost. My money would stilll be better spent letting someone else buy that gear and me rent it from them, I think a lot of us are in that boat.
Old 7th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon View Post
IF anyone actually did plugins right, then the price of hardware would fall dramatically and become nearly obsolete overnight. The demand for control surfaces would go through the roof, and the average studio would save thousands in wiring, rack space and power costs.

Yet- they haven't. There is no LA-2A emulation that actually works just as well as the original for example. If there was, you'd find the real ones for sale for $200 to part for their transformers.

When software creeps up on hardware, prices fall. Software happens to do mixing and routing pretty well. Guess what, prices of mixers have fallen dramatically in the past 5 years. As much as the tape/digital debate rages on, prices of tape machines continue to fall.

There are several flaws in your post (unless intentional to stir up a discussion).

Personally, I dislike plugs. (Current sonic differences aside.) Looking at a plug instantly makes me sleepy and bored. I need hardware to keep me happy. The extra cost is nothing compared to the sheer joy I get in return. I fully understand the need for plugs for people whose projects go from studio to studio. I also understand it for post. However, it's not for me. Console and outboard over Icon and plugs any day!

I wouldn't want to change the studio name either .

In any case, I don't see hardware becoming obsolete anytime soon.
Old 9th July 2009
Lives for gear

"Personally, I dislike plugs. (Current sonic differences aside.) Looking at a plug instantly makes me sleepy and bored. I need hardware to keep me happy. The extra cost is nothing compared to the sheer joy I get in return."

Golly, I kinda hinted at this idea re drum machines once, and people just went ape.

I've spent a whole mess of hours just now trying to make sense of the Adobe Audition sequencer. It might be useful to people who are deranged in the same way that the person who wrote it was deranged but to a normal person it's hysterical.

Plus they haven't figured out to make the controls on hardware invisible like Izotope and others do...

LP
Old 9th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lame pseudonym View Post
"Personally, I dislike plugs. (Current sonic differences aside.) Looking at a plug instantly makes me sleepy and bored. I need hardware to keep me happy. The extra cost is nothing compared to the sheer joy I get in return."

Golly, I kinda hinted at this idea re drum machines once, and people just went ape.

I've spent a whole mess of hours just now trying to make sense of the Adobe Audition sequencer. It might be useful to people who are deranged in the same way that the person who wrote it was deranged but to a normal person it's hysterical.

Plus they haven't figured out to make the controls on hardware invisible like Izotope and others do...

LP
Ditch it and get some hardware .

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search