The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Pet peeves (in general)
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

Pet peeves (in general)

Pohduca's who mix AND master on cracked software using headphones.

"You can use egg-cartons or cheap foam for sound proofing" ahhhh .

Anyone who ask for your rate ($85 and up) and then says "well my friend will record me for $10 an hour". As if that statement is going to lower my fee.. I usually respond with "go for it."

People who publicly and shamelessly pick their noses. (I've had two people in my lifetime wanting to shake my hand afterward. ARE YOU SERIOUS?!)

People with a stunted self awareness regarding their personal hygiene.

People who try to flirt with my gf when I'm standing right next to her.

Amateuristic/sloppy looking studios (it's not that hard to create a vibe. Come on!)

People randomly touching your expensive gear.

Most mornings (I'm not that good at falling asleep). Although I do feel my day was more productive when I wake up earlier than I wish to.

People heavily/loudly grunting when pushing miniscule weights in the gym.

"I have $300. What do I buy to sound like the pro's?" (I see this on youtube a lot).

I'm not annoyed that easily but there are a few things that kick me in the nuts.

Share yours please.
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

People who don't use the search function!!!

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...ve-studio.html
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpidge View Post
People who don't use the search function!!!

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...ve-studio.html
Got another one:

People who don't read thread titles. Mine is studio and IN GENERAL. The other one (which I of course saw before creating another one) is solely studio stuff.

EDIT: Changed the title to just "In general". So Maxy doesn't get any sleepless nights.
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greener View Post
People who inject drugs...

I'm all for getting wasted, but when people are picking up they should be sent to an island where they can all get ****ed up and steal each others ****.
You see this a lot? I remember seeing a dude snort cocain at a dodgy party once but I've never seen anybody inject...
Old 6th July 2009
Gear Maniac

Arrogance is the no.1 for me.
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by akai96 View Post
+1

However, my sarcastic nature/humor (which I, and people who understand it find hilarious) is often mistaken for arrogance .
Old 6th July 2009
drummers that have their snare wires cranked tight. It never sounds good that way. You gotta let that snare breathe a little.
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

- bad drivers.... and by that I mean the people who seem to be terrified behind the wheel. every turn, acceleration, brake application is done so slowly that you wonder how on earth these folks get around, and why the hell they don't just pull over and let the next 100 cars pass?

- Stupid and oblivious people. the ones who don't seem to realize that there is an entire world around them including the fact that you're standing right behind them while they aimlessly block the isle at the supermarket. These people are usually the types that drive poorly, too.. see #1

- People who say "like" alot.

- Posers. I can smell BS from a mile away and it is not cool. Nothing like meeting people who find out you play in a band and start pretending they know about "the biz".. puke.

I have too many to list right now. Most of it revolves around sheep mentality and dumb people. Why the hell can't people think for themselves?
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by akai96 View Post
You mean assholes...

One of my other pet peeves is when stores put that force field plastic around little **** like thumb drives, memory, etc... And then, don't try to return it...
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never1 View Post
- bad drivers.... and by that I mean the people who seem to be terrified behind the wheel. every turn, acceleration, brake application is done so slowly that you wonder how on earth these folks get around, and why the hell they don't just pull over and let the next 100 cars pass?
Sorry to be sexist, but 98% are women...
Old 6th July 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by voicegenius View Post
You mean assholes...

One of my other pet peeves is when stores put that force field plastic around little **** like thumb drives, memory, etc... And then, don't try to return it...
What's up Corei,I just sent you a private message.
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

People who want something for nothing

My cousins facebook status today

wants to record a few cover songs to wack on my youtube which desperatly needs updating! Any offers?

I know what song i want to record, 'the first time ever i saw your face' - Leona's version.. just don't know where to record it.. somewhere not too expensive!

-------------------------

When I told her that I'm busy and can't help her out (she knows I'm the only one in the family with any recording and mixing knowledge (and even then I know jack all to be honest)), she asked me the average rates of studios in her area, I searched a bit, and when I told her, her eyes went wide and she couldn't believe the price (which I myself deemed very reasonable considering the sounds this guy was coming out with). The worst thing is this girl is a hairbrush karaoke singer, and nothing more - yet expects something for nothing and wants it done within 3 days notice.

Another example is her saying "Anyone have any fresh instrumentals for Wednesday?", asking this on a Monday, saying she needed it for songwriting. When I told her that if I gave her instrumentals, I'd either a) need a song to start off ideas from b) would essentially be writing half a song for her in order to get any instrumentals down, she didn't understand and just bailed her way out of the conversation. Ugh, it's just annoying.
Old 6th July 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTSH View Post
People who want something for nothing

My cousins facebook status today

wants to record a few cover songs to wack on my youtube which desperatly needs updating! Any offers?

I know what song i want to record, 'the first time ever i saw your face' - Leona's version.. just don't know where to record it.. somewhere not too expensive!

-------------------------

When I told her that I'm busy and can't help her out (she knows I'm the only one in the family with any recording and mixing knowledge (and even then I know jack all to be honest)), she asked me the average rates of studios in her area, I searched a bit, and when I told her, her eyes went wide and she couldn't believe the price (which I myself deemed very reasonable considering the sounds this guy was coming out with). The worst thing is this girl is a hairbrush karaoke singer, and nothing more - yet expects something for nothing and wants it done within 3 days notice.

Another example is her saying "Anyone have any fresh instrumentals for Wednesday?", asking this on a Monday, saying she needed it for songwriting. When I told her that if I gave her instrumentals, I'd either a) need a song to start off ideas from b) would essentially be writing half a song for her in order to get any instrumentals down, she didn't understand and just bailed her way out of the conversation. Ugh, it's just annoying.
Ok that is annoying
Old 6th July 2009
Gear Addict

People who drive through parking lots through parking spaces and not in established lanes. This freaking drives me . It's just flat lazy.
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greener View Post
There are a few smackies around town... I was at a practice room the other day and we had to use the womens toilets because some smackie was passed out in the mens.

Mostly, referring to that avatar up there.
the avatar is a joke, the tattoo is from the cover of "Sponge's" "rotting piniata" cd
the guy in photo is my baby brother, a few weeks before this photo he was in the hospital with a collapsed lung and they put an I.V. into the tattoo.

btw, my attachment to my thread was sarcasm also
Old 6th July 2009
Lives for gear

Wives that trick their husbands into signing over the deeds to their houses.

Ex-wives that steal hundreds of thousands from their former husbands.

Ex-wives that refuse to follow court orders causing former husbands to have to spend tens of thousands on lawyers.

Shall I go on?
Old 7th July 2009
Gear Nut

I was ranting to my wife the other day about this.

I absolutely HATE when there is anything on the passenger seat in my truck (ie CDs, sunglasses, cell phone), then I make a turn and it all comes sliding off the seat. Makes me crazy. The worst part is it is self-induced....must study the definition of insanity again.

-Matt
Old 7th July 2009
Gear Nut

Ok...the definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over again and expecting different results...which also applies to car seats and stuff for me.....
Old 8th July 2009
Gear Maniac

Litter. I want to tear the head off people who throw litter on the ground when there is a bin within 10 feet. Kill 'em all!
Old 8th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaChunkyStudio View Post
Litter. I want to tear the head off people who throw litter on the ground when there is a bin within 10 feet. Kill 'em all!
People throwing there dirty ass cigarette butts out there car windows, or on the ground. It pisses me off more when the person is driving a hybrid car, or is some other kind of modern day, nothing to say, stinkin hippie.

If your worried about saving the earth, start by keeping your filthy ass cigarettes to yourself.... OK so maybe there isn't always somewhere to throw your smoke when your finished....but when your driving?? It's your smoke...keep it in your car.

I don't have any special hate towards smokers but well I am on the topic, doesn't it piss you off when a smoker thinks they are entitled to stop progress on anything a million times a day for a smoke break? Weather it's in the studio, at any other work place, or a road trip with non-smokers......

It always really bothered me before I got into audio when I was working all kinds of ****ty part time jobs, and it seemed like the average smoker felt like there hourly smoke break didn't some how count as a "break"..... even know it's called a smoke BREAK.

It's almost as if they felt like they had some kind of serious terminal illness that they, innocently came down with, which justified that they take twelve 10 minute breaks a day in addition to there other breaks.

ANYWAYS all this talk about breaks, part time jobs, and the people who make those jobs suck is giving me the creeps.
Old 8th July 2009
Lives for gear

Even when I worked as an IT Engineer at a factory, 1/2 the office would be outside 2 hrs a day total smoking. Even people who didn't smoke would just join those that did every 15 mins or so. I wanted to take up smoking just so I could be cool haha

I guess my only real pet peeve is when people are late. I dunno how anyone can be 45 mins late for something and give an excuse like "traffic was bad". Not just the studio, but in general. I have one friend who is going to be 30 mins late for everything he goes to.
Old 8th July 2009
Lives for gear

I disdain people who randomly spit in public. I always wonder what they just put on their mouths that was SO disgusting they had to get rid of the taste.

I've had numerous conflicts with people doing it right in front of me (mostly 'cool' young males in groups).
When that happens I look them straight in the eye and say "perhaps you wouldn't have to do that if your boyfriend bothered to wash his dick first".

Get's em every time .
Old 8th July 2009
Lives for gear

On a timely note -- I don't like that an (any) artist who is called "the King of Pop" and "the greatest entertainer of all time" lip-syncs in their live performances. That certainly takes them out of the running, to me.
Old 9th July 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by voicegenius View Post
You mean assholes...

yes!! and then you have to knaw the bloody thing open with your teeth because you havnt a pair of snippers or a knife on your person.....
Old 9th July 2009
Gear Addict

People who are willing to dish out pranks/jokes, but not willing to receive it back.... because they are "sensitive."

Selective memory. i.e. Someone who says "You were late meeting me two times now." But they were late meeting you FIFTEEN times.

Not using turn signals, road rage, and speeding while driving a car. We often forget that we're controlling a couple tons worth of metal at a high rate of speed, and that it can and will tear your flesh apart from user error.

People messing around on instruments when they don't know how to play. OH MY GOD.....

Having a priority for aesthetics over functionality, annoys the hell out of me. I remember a studio owner who could have upgraded to HD from his MIX system, but instead got the floors refinished. The floors were fine. That studio is closed now....

Demoitis crisis. When a client is just way too attached to the way the demo sounds, and your hesitant to please him because if the mix goes out the door sounding anything like the demo, it makes you look like a whack engineer.

Producers who have to make a suggestion, even if everything is fine, for the sake of making a suggestion in front of a client.

People not involved in a mix session, walking in, and saying some **** about the mix in front of a client. Guess what happened to the intern that walked in and commented "That loop sounds lame" while I was mixing a spot with the big wig from the post house sitting right next to me?
Old 9th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk Dracula View Post
Producers who have to make a suggestion, even if everything is fine, for the sake of making a suggestion in front of a client.
MAN I hate this too... there is ALOT of people like that in every industry, but aside from the music industry, these people seem to make up most of the film industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk Dracula View Post
People not involved in a mix session, walking in, and saying some **** about the mix in front of a client. Guess what happened to the intern that walked in and commented "That loop sounds lame" while I was mixing a spot with the big wig from the post house sitting right next to me?
Sucks sometimes when one of those people is an uninvolved band member..... I was working on a session, with a band, who had an alcoholic drummer (not being sarcastic).

Guy had this rule..... if your not drunk before 4PM then your not an alcoholic.... so every day was the same....Guy would sit there all day saying everything sounds great, and requesting very reasonable changes, then by 8:00PM he would be smashed and have a bad opinion about pretty much everything we recorded that day and the days before..... basically just because he was so drunk and tired, he couldn't tell whats what anymore.
Old 9th July 2009
Lives for gear

Engineers who cop an attitude when I want something to sound different.

People who can't assert themselves.

When crack heads make up stories and swear they're telling the truth about being from another state and needing to catch a bus.

Speed limit signs and highway patrol in Virginia. Awful.
Old 9th July 2009
Lives for gear

hot chicks who get to work in big time studios cause they are hot chicks.
Old 9th July 2009
Angry GS avatars!!!

People who use pictures of gear, themselves in front of gear(especially consoles they don't own or even worse pretending they are doing something on said consoles), pictures of hot women(especially when they are a guy) and their animals(dogs,cats,birds,rodents,reptiles) for their avatars.

(Ok i kid...i kid fellas!!!!)

(The animals and hot chick thing is peeve though. It just feels weird conversing seriously with someone and its a picture of a dog or some hot chick staring back at you).
Old 9th July 2009
Gear Addict

People who can magically exude ball sweat from their fingers, plunking away on the guitar with an unfinished neck that they didn't ask if they could play.

Elderly people in the checkout line barring your way by trying to make sense of their change, after spending the previous 5 minutes trying to make sense of the money they pulled out of the wallet that they finally recognized was a wallet after the first 5 minutes. The uncomprehending, slow shift of attention between 3 points: change, receipt, and cashier, as though all are impossibly advanced physics problems, until they are courteously moved out of the path of the living before truly understanding what just happened.

People who think their problems are an acceptable excuse for their behavior becoming your problem.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search