The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Pet peeves (in general)
Old 17th July 2009
Lives for gear

You guys think about TP waaaaay too much
A real pet peeve is going for the afternoon deuce and there not being any.
Old 17th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greener View Post
Argh! Toward the wall, the mechanics are such that it's easier to push onto the roll and break the sheets free when it's toward the wall.
I agree with you on that but:
1: It looks weird ('incomplete').
2: I have two hands thumbsupthumbsup (but sometimes a swift tug does the job).
Old 17th July 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookedOnHardware View Post
What's backwards to you? The right way for me is rolling away from the wall.. I change it in peoples homes when it rolls towards the wall .
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooman View Post
You guys think about TP waaaaay too much
A real pet peeve is going for the afternoon deuce and there not being any.
Rolling down the wall is just wrong. Definitely away from the wall.

And yeah, maybe I do think about TP too much but wars have been fought and kingdoms lost over toilet paper.

Thought of another one...

When you go to take a leak (guys) and sneeze at that critical moment. Makes for a small mess. heh
Even more so when that sneeze makes ya shart.

Old 17th July 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flogger59 View Post
People who congregate in doorways get my goat, especially at parties. Why do you have to stand there? Can't you move two feet over?
My friends, wife, and I have a word for this: Strategic. As in, "man, that is a strategic place to stand." So we're always shouting this at clueless people who stand in the middle of aisles, doorways, etc. "Strategic!" I was in Venice Beach the other day on the BIKE PATH, which clearly states it is for bikes/skates ONLY, NO PEDESTRIANS, and two ladies have their BABY STROLLERS- with babies in them- parked in the MIDDLE of the path so that they obstruct traffic in both directions while people are blazing by. WTF? And they are just standing around like they woke up on another planet or something. DUDE. Strategic!

The aforementioned obliviousness. Get on the ball, people. Pay attention to what you're doing and consider its impact on everyone around you.

On the flipside, there are the hyper-aggressive, type-A-with-a-vengeance folks who are super-alert but care only about themselves and gaining power and control over everything at the expense of everyone else. Of course, the obliviousness of many people makes it possible.
Old 17th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keldog View Post

Thought of another one...

When you go to take a leak (guys) and sneeze at that critical moment. Makes for a small mess. heh
Even more so when that sneeze makes ya shart.

I've done an seen some weird **** in my time but I've never had anything like that happen to me ever.

You got issues man..Issues.. .
Old 17th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
2: I have two hands thumbsupthumbsup (but sometimes a swift tug does the job).
Hahah, sorry for quoting myself but; I just thought to myself that if anybody read that post out of context they would probably scroll up to the title looking for the word 'masturbate'.

Old 17th July 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I've done an seen some weird **** in my time but I've never had anything like that happen to me ever.

You got issues man..Issues.. .
hmmm.....I do hear that a lot. heh

To top it all off, it was right after my wife cleaned the baffroom. Smelled all lemony fresh til the "lemon" went down the back wall.
Old 19th July 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsawlogic View Post
Elderly people in the checkout line barring your way by trying to make sense of their change, after spending the previous 5 minutes trying to make sense of the money they pulled out of the wallet that they finally recognized was a wallet after the first 5 minutes. The uncomprehending, slow shift of attention between 3 points: change, receipt, and cashier, as though all are impossibly advanced physics problems, until they are courteously moved out of the path of the living before truly understanding what just happened.
Holy ****, you'd REALLY hate living here. This wee town is glutted with hot and cold running retirees from the upper midwest (St Louis/Chicago/Milwaukee/Detroit etc) and you can imagine all that implies. A couple of weeks ago, for example, I heard about two bad car wrecks. One of them was caused by a 92 year old....the other....by a 101 year old! I say, NOBODY that old should be allowed anywhere near the steering wheel of a car or anything else!

One doddering 80 year old, who stupidly pulled out into a highway from a side street at a much-too-slow speed from a semi-blind intersection, thus caused a wreck that left yours truly with a permanently buggered right knee. He died almost instantly; his wife a month later.

Getting an incompetent, dangerous driver off the road, good. Having to be killed to be taken off the road, bad.

While I will have permanent health problems due to my knee for the rest of my life from this, the wreck rescued me from the hell of the Mc****e life I dealt with for 4 years up to that point, having to take this fast food job and that because my studio's work load went from sporadic to non-existent. I now have the time to sort out things in life I didn't get to before, and a platform for determining where I can find a new niche in audio work (transferring old tapes and records to digital, and/or learning the craft of record mastering), and find a place in the world from which to operate doing it (possibly in the UK).
Old 19th July 2009
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greener View Post
Argh! Toward the wall, the mechanics are such that it's easier to push onto the roll and break the sheets free when it's toward the wall.
Wow..I thought I was the only one...when it is on the roller it has to come down from the back (Rolling down the wall)..I will actually take it off and fix it when my wife does it wrong...I know..I'm fukin weird!!!
Old 20th July 2009
Gear Nut

business/accounting graduates running record companies

home studios and protools jockeys... absolutely drive me insane

hip hop without lyrics, i dont like chorus chant music for 8 yr olds
Old 21st July 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb9000j View Post
business/accounting graduates running record companies

home studios and protools jockeys... absolutely drive me insane

hip hop without lyrics, i dont like chorus chant music for 8 yr olds
why does the home studio thing drive you insane?

or are you talking about some guy with a tascam digital recorder and a couple of mics?
Old 23rd July 2009
Lives for gear

i spent twenty minutes, in front of clients tonight trying to figure out how i had so much kick drum bleed on a solo'd acoustic track (it was as loud as acoustic)

i'd never heard anything like it, i was perplexed,...

then i realized i had the kick in "solo safe"...

Old 8th September 2009
Lives for gear

Bumps
Old 8th September 2009
Lives for gear

abusive fathers
jail cells
lawyers
hot chics who laugh at guys with tattoos on their face
plain, vanilla, yuppie mother ****ers
people who ask too many personal questions
engineers who think they are God because they got lucky
artists who think they are God because they got lucky
eminem
spears
BEP
every artist just like them
diabetes
clone girls on myspace
people who dont pick up their dog's crap
people who throw their cig butts out the car window
people who try to close the gap when i lane split on my motorcycle
people who drive slow on I-5 then speed up and race me when I try to pass, oh did you just get cut off, yea you did
people who try to pull up next to me to talk smack, take one look at me and say nothing
fuuck
Old 8th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin James View Post
abusive fathers
jail cells
lawyers
hot chics who laugh at guys with tattoos on their face
plain, vanilla, yuppie mother ****ers
people who ask too many personal questions
engineers who think they are God because they got lucky
artists who think they are God because they got lucky
eminem
spears
BEP
every artist just like them
diabetes
clone girls on myspace
people who dont pick up their dog's crap
people who throw their cig butts out the car window
people who drive slow on I-5 then speed up and race me when I try to pass, oh did you just get cut off, yea you did
people who try to pull up next to me to talk smack, take one look at me and say nothing
fuuck
Not to call you out or anything Darwin but you give out a lot of personal info for someone who doesn't like personal questions. Or is it just questions themselves that peeve you off?

Also, I've been wondering this for a while. What do the face tatts actually mean? I'm assuming it has something to do with your conversion. Just wondering.

Back OT, anyone else willing to share whatever it is that drives them nuts?

I had someone at the grocery store sneeze and give me my change back with the same dirty hands .
Old 8th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Also, I've been wondering this for a while. What do the face tatts actually mean? I'm assuming it has something to do with your conversion. Just wondering.
Old 8th September 2009
Lives for gear

/\

I see...

I love Steve Carell btw .
Old 8th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
fuuck

Indeed , that and the million other "tricks" pulled by cars drivers made me sell my bike :(
Old 5th October 2009
Gear Head

My peeve?

Well, I waited a whole year for Presonus to come out with a 64 bit driver for my PC. By that time, I had purchased a Mac Pro. Now that Mac went to 64 bit I guess another year goes pissing by...
dfegad
(I know, please don't say it! I use a Lightpipe converter with an IsoChrone clock, until I can find something better that does the same job!).
Old 5th October 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
You gotta be joking... and you believe all that crap?
Old 5th October 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Got another one:

People who don't read thread titles. Mine is studio and IN GENERAL. The other one (which I of course saw before creating another one) is solely studio stuff.

EDIT: Changed the title to just "In general". So Maxy doesn't get any sleepless nights.
- People who misuse the term "in general", when they really mean a list of specifics.
Old 5th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
My pet peeve is people who misuse the term "in general", when they really mean a list of specifics.
Don't like the thread? Don't join. You yourself just specified a peeve so perhaps my next post should be that I dislike hypocrites?

Old 5th October 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Don't like the thread? Don't join. You yourself just specified a peeve so perhaps my next post should be that I dislike hypocrites?

OMG, you're actually territorial about a pet peeve thread you put in the Moan Zone, aren't you? Dude, if your personality is that in the way, you need a therapist.
Old 5th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
OMG, you're actually territorial about a pet peeve thread you put in the Moan Zone, aren't you? Dude, if your personality is that in the way, you need a therapist.
Haha, well if you thought any of that was serious you might need one yourself. Perhaps share one?

Old 5th October 2009
Gear Addict

Great thread!!

Pet Peeves....or maybe just complaints...not sure what the distinction is....

1. Why are all of the dishes ALWAYS in the dishwasher and not in the cabinets?

My wife wanted to put in new kitchen cabinets and I had the great idea of suggesting that we just put 4 or 5 dishwashers in as bottom cabinets cause that's where the clean dishes are 99% of the time....did I pay for that comment? Yes!

2. Does EVERYTHING on Country radio have to sound like poo? It has been dumbed down, twanged up and hick-filled to the point that it has become totally worthless. Whatever happended to Emmylou Harris, Highway 101, Exile, Ricky Skaggs, Randy Travis....I feel like the white Chris Rock..." I love me some bluegrass, but I can't stand these ignant ass hicks!!!" Speed up an Eagles song and use a Jerry Springer script for the lyrics...that's todays Country music formula.

3. Attention all young urban males: PULL YOUR PANTS UP!!!! The only people allowed to wear their pants in that manner are plumbers. No one wants to see your dirty drawers.

4. Pro Tools Bashers Don't like PT? Don't use it! Personally, I use PT and love what it can do....I also hate what it can do...but I have a choice (as does everyone)....but it did not become an industry "standard" because it is a POS...it is a tool that can be used very effectivley. It is one thing to be critical of the absence of a few features, but come on....it's not a POS!!!

5. People who post Pet Peeves in forums Don't they have anything better to do?!?!

heh
Old 6th October 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent-sam View Post
People throwing there dirty ass cigarette butts out there car windows, or on the ground. It pisses me off more when the person is driving a hybrid car, or is some other kind of modern day, nothing to say, stinkin hippie.

If your worried about saving the earth, start by keeping your filthy ass cigarettes to yourself.... OK so maybe there isn't always somewhere to throw your smoke when your finished....but when your driving?? It's your smoke...keep it in your car.

I don't have any special hate towards smokers but well I am on the topic, doesn't it piss you off when a smoker thinks they are entitled to stop progress on anything a million times a day for a smoke break? Weather it's in the studio, at any other work place, or a road trip with non-smokers......

It always really bothered me before I got into audio when I was working all kinds of ****ty part time jobs, and it seemed like the average smoker felt like there hourly smoke break didn't some how count as a "break"..... even know it's called a smoke BREAK.

It's almost as if they felt like they had some kind of serious terminal illness that they, innocently came down with, which justified that they take twelve 10 minute breaks a day in addition to there other breaks.

ANYWAYS all this talk about breaks, part time jobs, and the people who make those jobs suck is giving me the creeps.

i'm coming to the city tonight to play hockey... i'll be smoking about 6 cigarettes while i'm there... i'll make sure i toss a butt on mcphillips, notre dame, maryland, wellington, stradbrook and smith for ya. (just kiddn')

oh... and my pet peeve of the day is:

--people who think that just because something makes money, it's 'right'.

s
Old 6th October 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by haymedic View Post
i'm coming to the city tonight to play hockey... i'll be smoking about 6 cigarettes while i'm there... i'll make sure i toss a butt on mcphillips, notre dame, maryland, wellington, stradbrook and smith for ya. (just kiddn')

oh... and my pet peeve of the day is:

--people who think that just because something makes money, it's 'right'.

s

oh... and yes... i do drive a small, environmental, fuel efficient, Korean car. :D
Old 6th October 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent-sam View Post

Weather it's in the studio, at any other work place, or a road trip with non-smokers......
Weather in the studio really knots my drawers, too. It gets expensive after the first few times, but I've gotten really quick with the tarp.
Old 6th October 2009
Lives for gear

Cigarettes... they will stunt your spelling too.

I hate weather in the studio. I prefer a dry mix.

BTW the whether here in San Fran is beautiful.

- Cheers
Old 6th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
What's backwards to you? The right way for me is rolling away from the wall.. I change it in peoples homes when it rolls towards the wall .

if you ever have a mischevious cat you'll turn that roll around real quick

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search