The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Digital Sucks! The sooner you understand this the better off you are going to be...
Old 3rd July 2009
  #61
Lives for gear
 
equallyscrewed's Avatar
 

Digital sucks guys! We should be writing letters to each other rather than discussing it on a digital forum.
Old 3rd July 2009
  #62
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntillesSound View Post
Hey guys. My HD|3 rig, my c|24, all of my McDSP, Waves and Oxford stuff is all up on ebay now. Also, I felt so motivated by it, that I ordered every Boss DD-3 and DD-7 from Sweetwater and threw them all in a burning waste pit. It is now my mission to purge anything that even reeks of digital ambience from this god forsaken world of 1's and 0's. Die motherboards die!

ps-I also ripped all of the computers out of your SSL's and Neve VRs. You don't deserve them. Its insulting that anything coming off of tape can get even remotely close to bleeps and bloops.

pss-You'll also find all of your hard drives wiped. You're welcome.
I don't know what is more pathetic. Your post or how much you could have gotten for your money if you had the brain to spend it wisely. Do you realize that for that much money you can pretty much build the finest preamps and compressors yourself and have great sound?
You want to tell me that they actually took twenty five thousand dollars out of your pocket and gave you pro tools software, a control surface & some plug-ins?

God help you you stupid gullible infants.
Old 3rd July 2009
  #63
After such a promising start, I'm finding this thread rather a disappointment.


So, Careyn, I looked over your (not so) old posts and it seems its been less than a week since you were looking for sample CDs...

But -- wait -- what's this?!? From only a little over two weeks ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Careyn View Post
This is the original long powercore pci card with the with all the stock plug-ins (reverbs compressors finalizer ect plus the following plug ins:

Voicemodeler
powercore synth

If anybody is interested please let me know.
I wouldn't sell this if I didn't need the money :(

YouTube - access virus powercore plugin
[bold added]

For those who don't like to sully their hands in the virtual world, the Virus PowerCore is, according to its makers, "more than just another virtual analogue synth. Just the effects section itself would justify this plug-in to be called a multi-effect processor. " A virtual multi-effect processor.
Old 3rd July 2009
  #64
Lives for gear
 
equallyscrewed's Avatar
 

and this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Careyn View Post
Hello friends ^_^

<snip>

Now I do not want to give up any of my software stuff I have some cool stuff like reason atmosphere the moog modular esx sounds the virus powercore ect.

What I want to do is have the analog stuff sequenced through the computer and have a a few busses coming out from logic with all my digital stuff for a hybrid setup.

<snip>

Edit : sorry Glitchfactor, looks like you beat me to it
Old 3rd July 2009
  #65
Did he say... Reason?

As in just about the most virtualized of vitual syntesizers?


Say it ain't so, Careyn... say it ain't so.


heh
Old 3rd July 2009
  #66
Lives for gear
 

I fell for it. stupid stupid stupid
Old 3rd July 2009
  #67
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
After such a promising start, I'm finding this thread rather a disappointment.


So, Careyn, I looked over your (not so) old posts and it seems its been less than a week since you were looking for sample CDs...

But -- wait -- what's this?!? From only a little over two weeks ago:


[bold added]
Go ahead and post all my posts here! I couldn't begin to give a ****. fuuck
Maybe I can get some suggestions too.
Looking for an analog mixer $5.000 to $10.000 at the moment.

Fact of the matter is real gear takes money to produce and will sound good. Since you seem so concerned with my studio I am building a hardware studio with vintage analog instruments. I am also buying an analog mixing desk and what is really good about this is that I wont have to record anything into the ****ifier that is the computer to make things happen. At the moment I am building the finest DIY dynamics and eq, gear to build a nice studio.

A few hardware fx boxes will be added like
Moog Ring Mod
Moog Phaser
Analog Man Chorus Unit
H3000 harmonizer
Lexicon pcm 42 delay
Lexicon 224xl reverb

I also will be looking for a studer A-80 For the master channel.

As far as interfacing this with the computer I will use the RME digital card and a few apogge ad-8000. Yes only 44.1k I can't tell the difference between that and 96k...
Like... At all! Maybe the rest of you have golden ears....
But my studio wont be based on that. This is how I choose to spend my money.
I know that there are endless possibilities in the computer and great emulators emulating emulations but I am just not that open minded like that. I prefer when I spend money to get gear that costed money to make....
For 20K? Not protools for me sir! I will leave all that for the professionals with the control surfaces and the mcdsp plugins.
Old 3rd July 2009
  #68
W..........T................F.....................
Old 3rd July 2009
  #69
Gear Addict
 

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
Did he say... Reason?

As in just about the most virtualized of vitual syntesizers?


Say it ain't so, Careyn... say it ain't so.


heh
I program my drums in the computer and probably will continue to do so.
Sometimes reason sometimes battery. Out on the board.

I also have the spectrasonics romplers and a lot of the stuff is good. But it is fixed and pre programmed. And guess what they used to make it. Vintage synths. Why because they sound good. It is good for what it is. I prefer to make my own sounds though.

The computer will be a sequencer/drum machine/sampler.
The computer won't be the whole F*****n studio for 20.000!

I just don't think that would be such a wise investment
Kind regards.
Old 3rd July 2009
  #70
Gear Guru
 
Sounds Great's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice View Post
I mixed a record entierly in the box and it went gold single gold album and double platinum compilation, you are right .....digital SUCKS !!??.... (for the record I have a large format console too so I know what I'm talking about) it's not the tools it's the Engineer!
PS: I also produced that record only with soft synths...
Depends. You could be describing the sales of a Miley Cyrus record. And that still wouldn't prove that digital doesn't suck.
Old 3rd July 2009
  #71
My new idol has pedal extremeties of clay...

heh


Hey, it's all good, Careyn. I'm all for you buying all that stuff and I'd certainly love to have a few of the pieces I've played with along the way -- I kick myself hard every time I think of the Mini-Moogs I could have bought for $300-$500. I mean, that makes me want to cry... drifting oscillators, leaky caps and all... (And one of my buddies did just that, buying and selling 'old' analog [and 'vintage' digital, even] synths, brokering, and trading, all through the late 80s and into the mid 90s. He kept himself alive buying dirt cheap and selling at increasingly higher prices. He was certainly someone helping drive the cost of such vintage gear up. Like a real estate agent flipping houses. heh )


But, bonhomie aside, let's face it, you started this thread with a big, ugly head of steam and managed to indirectly insult a lot of folks who don't necessarily see things the way you see them now.

You made sweepingly broad, absolutist pronunciations that essemtially implied that folks, some or even many of whom probably have more and deeper experience in both the analog and digital worlds, don't know what they're doing and that they're a bunch of sheep.
Old 3rd July 2009
  #72
Lives for gear
 

Well if you take out the last sentence ("digital sucks...") the OP actually is bang on. You guys are only concentrating on that last line.


To the OP...This site perpetuates what you hate and you will find no sympathy really...here's the thing...I hate the same bull**** gear hype/promises...you are right...get some good gear and go make some good recordings after you get good at engineering...good advice....very few care about good advice here though...it's mostly about selling gear/services here...too bad.

PS Blue has good info...one of the good guys
Old 3rd July 2009
  #73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Depends. You could be describing the sales of a Miley Cyrus record. And that still wouldn't prove that digital doesn't suck.
If we want to prove anything, first we must define tems. I'd start with suck...

That
is one of those rather ill-defined terms of art for which the IEEE has no criteria or standards, and, as far as I know, there's not even a discussion group on it...
Old 3rd July 2009
  #74
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntillesSound View Post

ps-I also ripped all of the computers out of your SSL's and Neve VRs. You don't deserve them. Its insulting that anything coming off of tape can get even remotely close to bleeps and bloops.
.
Actually these two consoles are NOT noted as typically great sounding consoles at all. They are just versatile. You may have **** the bed on that sarcastic point.
Old 3rd July 2009
  #75
Deleted 99dc753
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Careyn View Post

Digital sucks! The sooner you understand this the better off you are going to be.
Mh this reminds me to an old couple and both of them want to teach each other what he/she is doing wrong in the past 30 years....

The OP seems to be thinking that the gear does wonders on a mix but I am still thinking that an old dog can teach me new tricks even with plug ins.

Useless discussion again.
Old 3rd July 2009
  #76
Lives for gear
 
DamnYankee's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Careyn
I am tired of all this sales pitch BS! I am disgusted by all the hype surrounding new DSP ''innovations'' with usb connections that get marketed in magazines and sell for $3000 only to lose %80 of their value and go out of fashion in a few years to be replaced by whatever gimmick they put out this year...*snip*

Digital sucks! The sooner you understand this the better off you are going to be.
There is some truth in what you say: digital audio is in its infancy and yes, what's new today is outdated next year vs its analog gear counterparts. And yes, at some point digital has to be converted back to analog for us to hear it. But analog is not perfect either.
Old 3rd July 2009
  #77
Gear Maniac
 
alfonso's Avatar
 

Digital does things that analog can't do. And the other way around. If you consider this and admit that there is a huge area of useless crap in both domains you might do great things whatever you use.

Regarding the value of things I can ensure you that R&D on a product like this one has seen 3-4 guys working for a couple years. Some are traditional concepts but a lot of that stuff can't be made in analog in any way.

Old 3rd July 2009
  #78
Lives for gear
 
dandeurloo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR View Post
BRAVO!!! So does the government but people been buying into their BS for ever!!!

AMEN
Old 3rd July 2009
  #79
Lives for gear
 

I agree with the OP

Digital does suck. I am disappointed there are so many internet bullies trying to make this a witch hunt with some mob justice thrown in.

I have been disappointed with digital sound so many times.
I kind of wish I hadn't bought a computer and endless frikkin upgrades just to hear good sound and touch real faders.

I now have Mac/Logic annd a Logic control. But I have to upgrade my m-audio converters to Lynx Aurora 16 cause these ones suck the life out of my beats.

When I listen to my beats through my Mackie 1604 they sound big and in the room. Monitor through the 12 m-audio inputs and the sound goes back a few feet, sounds flat and sucks.

I am probably gonna get a nicerizer 16 and bounce to tape from the aurora 16 outs. HOPEFULLY it comes close to the live analogue monitoring sound.

Digital sounds flat. There haven't been any classic hip hop or reggae records in the last 15 years.

Even my hero DJ Premier sounds flat since he switched from tape to Pro Tools.

My Nord Lead can't make a fat bass sound compared to the Korg MS20 I used to have.

The only drum sounds I like are from the late 60's, early 70's. Or Daptone records (Sharon Jones). Oh yeah and Dangelo "Voodoo' both recorded to tape.

Digital has killed music. I like drum machines though. I like 87-94 hip hop with sampled vinyl drums. And I like drum machine reggae. But the best stuff is recorded to tape. Like Dawn Penns "No, no, no".

Radio sucks as well. I feel like everyone has lost their mind. Hip hop used to be the truth now it is a brainwashing conspiracy.

Luckily Jamaican music is still righteous. But it suffers the digital sound also.

Digital sucks.
Old 3rd July 2009
  #80
Gear Guru
 
Kenny Gioia's Avatar
 

I agree with the original poster and everyone that followed.

Except for my post.

That one is crap.

Where's my popcorn?

I love conversation grenades.
Old 3rd July 2009
  #81
Gear Head
 
N. Michael's Avatar
 

Yeah, someone needs a timeout...

Quote:
Originally Posted by glissando View Post
Well if you take out the last sentence ("digital sucks...") the OP actually is bang on. You guys are only concentrating on that last line.
I own some gear that in hindsight probably falls into the category of industry hype, IMO ... I have learned my lesson. I don't believe anything any company says about their products. I make my own decisions based on my ears and read every independent review I can find. Even reviews are usually biased a bit. The studio engineers on this forum who use the **** everyday have a good weight. It isn't too hard to tell the wannabe's from the real deal. It is preference in the end.

I like analog. I also like broccoli, ice bongs and motorcycles (not necessarily together or in that order). So what. I also own a few digital pieces that I wouldn't let go of.

The OP dropped the ball blaming it all on digital. The last line should have read.

Hyped crappy gear sucks! The sooner I understand this the better off I will be...

Bad marketing is a part of life that I wish we could do without. We have a huge Samsung sign in our neighborhood that literally lights up the whole night sky. I do my best to avoid their products, even though they probably make chips in gear that I own.

The OP was right about owning the real deal, IMO. It seems like he is pissed because he made some bad decisions that were costly in time and money. The analog road is fraught with peril too. But I like it and understand it. Sometimes you can have the best of both worlds. That is my approach and I see it with other slutz. You can have convenience and great sound. Just don't believe the hype.

N. Michael
Old 3rd July 2009
  #82
Lives for gear
 
Mark Kaufman's Avatar
 

I would just like to say that I am very upset.

Thank you. Carry on.
Old 3rd July 2009
  #83
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Careyn View Post
Go ahead and post all my posts here! I couldn't begin to give a ****. fuuck
Maybe I can get some suggestions too.
Looking for an analog mixer $5.000 to $10.000 at the moment.

Fact of the matter is real gear takes money to produce and will sound good. Since you seem so concerned with my studio I am building a hardware studio with vintage analog instruments. I am also buying an analog mixing desk and what is really good about this is that I wont have to record anything into the ****ifier that is the computer to make things happen. At the moment I am building the finest DIY dynamics and eq, gear to build a nice studio.

A few hardware fx boxes will be added like
Moog Ring Mod
Moog Phaser
Analog Man Chorus Unit
H3000 harmonizer
Lexicon pcm 42 delay
Lexicon 224xl reverb

I also will be looking for a studer A-80 For the master channel.

As far as interfacing this with the computer I will use the RME digital card and a few apogge ad-8000. Yes only 44.1k I can't tell the difference between that and 96k...
Like... At all! Maybe the rest of you have golden ears....
But my studio wont be based on that. This is how I choose to spend my money.
I know that there are endless possibilities in the computer and great emulators emulating emulations but I am just not that open minded like that. I prefer when I spend money to get gear that costed money to make....
For 20K? Not protools for me sir! I will leave all that for the professionals with the control surfaces and the mcdsp plugins.

Well, I am happy you've found a modus operandi that works for you and inspires you, best of luck with your music. And yeah, I hate overblown sales pitches as much as you do—I think everybody here does.

Just remember this: Your audience does not care a single, shrivelled fig about what gear you use, as long as the music sounds professionally produced and grooves nicely in the right places—and THAT is about the skills of the engineer. NOBODY is going care whether you use a real minimoog or a software emulation, or whether you use an analog mixing console or not. It's not the gear that counts, it's what you do with it.

The less you fuzz about how "analog" your gear is, the more music you will create.
Old 3rd July 2009
  #84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
Digital does suck. I am disappointed there are so many internet bullies trying to make this a witch hunt with some mob justice thrown in.

I have been disappointed with digital sound so many times.
I kind of wish I hadn't bought a computer and endless frikkin upgrades just to hear good sound and touch real faders.

I now have Mac/Logic annd a Logic control. But I have to upgrade my m-audio converters to Lynx Aurora 16 cause these ones suck the life out of my beats.

When I listen to my beats through my Mackie 1604 they sound big and in the room. Monitor through the 12 m-audio inputs and the sound goes back a few feet, sounds flat and sucks.

I am probably gonna get a nicerizer 16 and bounce to tape from the aurora 16 outs. HOPEFULLY it comes close to the live analogue monitoring sound.

Digital sounds flat. There haven't been any classic hip hop or reggae records in the last 15 years.

Even my hero DJ Premier sounds flat since he switched from tape to Pro Tools.

My Nord Lead can't make a fat bass sound compared to the Korg MS20 I used to have.

The only drum sounds I like are from the late 60's, early 70's. Or Daptone records (Sharon Jones). Oh yeah and Dangelo "Voodoo' both recorded to tape.

Digital has killed music. I like drum machines though. I like 87-94 hip hop with sampled vinyl drums. And I like drum machine reggae. But the best stuff is recorded to tape. Like Dawn Penns "No, no, no".

Radio sucks as well. I feel like everyone has lost their mind. Hip hop used to be the truth now it is a brainwashing conspiracy.

Luckily Jamaican music is still righteous. But it suffers the digital sound also.

Digital sucks.


Whoa, cowboy.

Our friend Careyn starts a thread with his big manifesto about how anyone who doesn't agree with his newfound devotion to analog is a tool of some kind of digital conspiracy, all a bunch of sheep, suckers, etc.

And that makes the people who Careyn is slagging off "internet bullies"?

How the heck does that work?


So... then...we have to hear your tale of woe. Sounds like a bummer. I feel for you.

But... let's get this straight...


Just who the hell twisted your arm, held a gun to your head, and forced you to give up all this great analog gear you apparently used to roll?


Blame that guy.

Not the rest of the world. Not me.


Me, I came up in analog studios, on tape, in my own time built my own 4 track rig (going through three 4 tracks in a decade) into an 8 track 1/2" project studio -- but when I couldn't keep that 8 track rig running properly long enough to fill up a whole reel, I made the switch to digital tape and a half decade later, to DAW. And, guess what? From my experience, and with my point of view, I liked digital. I got a lot done. And it sounded a lot better to me.

But -- get this -- did I hold ever hold a gun to your head trying to get you to switch? I think not.

If you were weak or gullible enough to give up something apparently so great for something that strikes you as so manifestly inferior -- just whose fault is that?

Not mine, ace.

Not mine.
Old 3rd July 2009
  #85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Careyn View Post
I don't know what is more pathetic. Your post or how much you could have gotten for your money if you had the brain to spend it wisely. Do you realize that for that much money you can pretty much build the finest preamps and compressors yourself and have great sound?
You want to tell me that they actually took twenty five thousand dollars out of your pocket and gave you pro tools software, a control surface & some plug-ins?

God help you you stupid gullible infants.
Yes sir they did! And then they went and put $65K back in it last year!

What awful circumstances it is to make money off of all of this beautiful gear that functions, doesn't break down, always lets me recall it easily and SOUNDS GREAT.


god I hate life as a gullible infant

By the way, you my friend have COMPLETELY overlooked the point that we're making music here. If the end product sounds fantastic [to your standards, your client's, the world, etc] then guess what..WIN! Whatever it takes to get from point A to point B.
Old 3rd July 2009
  #86
Gear Guru
 
Kenny Gioia's Avatar
 

3 Pages so far. I love it.

Next time I go phishing, I'm making Careyn my Captain.

heh
Old 3rd July 2009
  #87
Registered User
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Careyn View Post

Digital sucks! The sooner you understand this the better off you are going to be.
How many records have you sold?fuuck
Old 3rd July 2009
  #88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
3 Pages so far. I love it.

Next time I go phishing, I'm making Careyn my Captain.

heh
i know. I get so sucked in. Haha.
Old 3rd July 2009
  #89
Gear Addict
 
barrythave's Avatar
 

It's such a useless discussion. People are willing to rip someone apart because they like something. Be constructive, not destructive. Tell why you like analog or digital, not why someone is a looser because he likes something.
Old 3rd July 2009
  #90
Lives for gear
 
AudioWonderland's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitchfactor View Post
Am I a liar, or did you not write this in another post?

"As far as interfacing with logic I plant to swap the multiface for a digiface and use two ad-8000s (around 2k with da cards) with a format converter ( know I probably wont be able to find the adat cards :(

Now I do not want to give up any of my software stuff I have some cool stuff like reason atmosphere the moog modular esx sounds the virus powercore ect."


Seriously, what's your deal dude?
pwn3d
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump