The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
amp stands changing tone ???
Old 20th August 2005
Gear Maniac

amp stands changing tone ???

Hey gang,
I run sound for a band with a harmonica player who is always too loud.
He plays through a vintage Fender Bassman, (rips, stains and all) and I've asked him to get an amp stand so he can tilt it back and aim it at himself. This way he will be able to hear himself much better and would result in a lower stage volume.
He claims that his "tone" would be too thin because the amp is no longer touching the stage directly and all or much of his bottom end would disappear.

Is there any truth to this?
Old 21st August 2005
Gear Head

yes
Old 23rd August 2005
Gear Addict

who the hell wants that much low end in a harmonica anyway????? Just tell him the engineers probably cutting it all out anyway! Put on a serious "audioguy" face when you tell him this.
Old 23rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Whoa! Reminds me of a harmonica player/singer I worked with for a few years in a Fab T-Birds styled blues band.
The first thing I did when arriving at a gig was to 'mark my territory', setting up my guitar amp/guitars/etc and making it clear that the harmonica amp would be on the other side of the stage. I was good at doing this, claiming the sound of the soloist has to be spread out L and R.

Anyway, he played a 70ies Fender Twin that was EXTREMELY brittle sounding and loud as ****. Furthermore he always had the mids full up to 'get his sound' as he used to say. I often tried to explain to him the fatalistic connection betweeen the full-mid setting and the howling feedback he would get so often.

It's all psychology. You case sounds difficult though, after all he WILL hear himself better when the amp is tilted and usually that would be desireable.

I also agree with the poster above that bass usually isn't really that important for harmonica.

And does he always play on the same stage? Obviously it depends on the material of the floor, reflections,etc so it might just been a situation where there was a general bass-shyness in the room?
Perhaps less bass means less mud to the guy, a lot of musicians have no concept at all about midrange, see my example above.

The solution to the problem would probably be to find or fake ( heh ) a picture of some harmonica great like Junior Wells, Little Walter or Kim Wilson using a 'tilted' amp setup. I'm pretty sure that would do it!

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch
Old 23rd August 2005
Gear Maniac

wow deja-vu

Yeah, I was able to convince him as to why he always had feedback problems.
He loves to twiddle them knobs.
Love the idea 'bout pic's of the greats using tilt stands. Photoshop here i come.

Here's to less mud. Cheers doorknocker!

Marty Schulte

Old 12th September 2005
Lives for gear

Talking No need for Photoshop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Gras
Yeah, I was able to convince him as to why he always had feedback problems.
He loves to twiddle them knobs.
Love the idea 'bout pic's of the greats using tilt stands. Photoshop here i come.

Here's to less mud. Cheers doorknocker!
Hey Marty,

I'm a bit late in answering this but right now I'm listening to Kim Wilson's 'Smoking Joint' live CD, about as good a blues record I ever heard.
And guess what, on the back of the CD booklet there's a pic of the band in action. You can see Kim standing in front of his harp amp that's RAISED OFF THE FLOOR and tilted backwards.

I don't know any better harpman alive than Mr. Wilson, so maybe your artist might be influenced by this little pic......

Here's the CD in question:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...658656-4579945

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search