The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Damn Drummer...
Old 29th August 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcatdigi
Hey guys:
And you don't even want to know what I would suggest YOU do, if I showed up for a session and read some condescending BS like that list you mentioned...

Peace!
right on, and wat Berolzeimer said!!
Old 30th August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robobo1

I'm a classically trained percussionist, jazz drummer, and an educated audio engineer with a masters. If I walked in your studio, whether or not I was late, unprepared, etc., I would still expect you to record great tracks at the end of the day, no matter how I played.
I totally disagree with you if you play like **** it is going to sound like ****. End of story. Period it. And if you play out of time and inconsistently and hit your cymbals too hard then.... What you are going to look at me and say fix it?

OK let me break out drumagog. OK I'll whack all the highs in the overheads and rerecord the cymbals when you are gone. I will stay up for 4 days straight trying to edit your drumming into something that sounds worth a ****. And all because that is my job....OK... I get it now.... Thanks
Old 30th August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedcrop
. . . if you play like **** it is going to sound like ****. End of story. Period it. And if you play out of time and inconsistently and hit your cymbals too hard then.... What you are going to look at me and say fix it? . . .
Agreed. You can't polish a turd.

It sounds like the real problem here is not the drummer's increased dynamics once the tape is rolling (which is your problem... everyone does this, including many professionals), but his lack of musical ability.

If this is the issue, then I'd suggest not working with this level of musician! I choose not to. Get your skills (and attitude) to a professional level so you don't have to put up with that kind of BS.
Old 30th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedcrop
VIBE=ATTITUDE "man don't approach my vibe" "youre killing the vibe" the word used to be buzz. I think it means the same thing though. "Man youre killing my buzz" Well fire it up then. Now play drums like a pro! List or no list.
If you don't know what vibe is, and apparently you don't, you certainly don't have it.
No, vibe doesn't mean a drug induced state. Not necessarily, anyways.
To me vibe is, among other things, a sense of feel, attitude, probably most of all atmosphere, that transfers directly from the player's sentience through their hands (or mouth if it's a singer) and into the notes their playing. Technically it's slight variations in timing, pitch & dynamics that the player is imparting as they're "feeling" the music. If you **** up the way a musician is feeling just before a take it's likely to mess with the feeling that comes into the part they're playing. Then again if you're in the habit of quantizing & tuning the life out of everything, or just doing a bunch of midi crap to begin with, I guess vibe just isn't a factor in your productions, and personally I'd have no interest in listening to them.
Old 30th August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berolzheimer
Then again if you're in the habit of quantizing & tuning the life out of everything, or just doing a bunch of midi crap to begin with, I guess vibe just isn't a factor in your productions, and personally I'd have no interest in listening to them.
You should read some of my other posts on this topic. So are you telling me that poor drumming is a vibe and I should not try to make suggestions to an individual about what I think sounds good on tape and in my room? And if you take offense to that then I have ruined your vibe? In that situation your vibe is a bad attitude.

If I said can you try to play with a click ===vibe ruined???
How about go again and this time not so busy on the kick===vibe ruined?
Or please don't hit the cymbals so hard===vibe ruined?

Isnt it the job of the engineer/producer to convince the talent to be the best they can? I don't believe that the best approach is, show up whenever you want, play however you want and I will just sit there an record whatever you play is the best approach.

Keep in mind that my general demeanor is quite jovial so any suggestions would be coming with a passive attitude. And that is about all I have to say on this topic.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search