Lives for gear

I don't like led zepplin's lyrics

Almost without exception. Sorry.
Old 20th June 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannygold View Post
I don't like peanut butter. Never have. With NO exception.
Old 20th June 2009
Which album(?), the lyric content is all over the place. The lyrics on most of II are nothing like most of III and 180 degrees to Presence, etc.
Old 20th June 2009
Lives for gear

Cool

Okay, you don't like them; WHY don't you like them?

And a personal question; how old are you?
Old 20th June 2009
Smile

Quote:

i have to say, i agree with you. and it's refreshing to hear someone ELSE say this here.

...i hear nathan, too - but i think there are way too many songs about the same ****.

same with the early beatles -
love, love me do
you know i love you
i'll always be true

- gimme a freeking break......

we are indeed a nation poisoned by love lyrics (zappa)...

Old 20th June 2009
Gear Head

One band to rule them all

I love Led Zeppelin. However I can certainly agree lyrics are pretty pointless and sorta stupid [out of context]...

Stairway to Heaven really doesn't make sense if you read it without listening to it. But does it really matter?

But much of the same can be said for an incredible amount of good bands. Queen coming to mind first. I remember a part of the (I think) Classic Albums: A Night at the Opera where these literary scholars had a discussion on what he meant with the lyrics of Bohemian Rhapsody. Makes me chuckle to think of even trying to dissect "Scaramouche, scaramouche will you do the fandango."
Old 20th June 2009
Lives for gear

With Plant is is certainly a case of "not what you say but HOW you say it... I personally like the mystery in Led Zep lyrics, everyone has their own personal take on what it's about.

Now if you want some really crazy nonsensical lyrics that just WORK, listen to anything written by Jon Anderson in YES... those lyrics are INSANE but somehow I find meaning in every song.
Old 20th June 2009
Lives for gear

I kind of agree, Led Zep were a blues based band (are there any good blues lyrics?) that kicked butt. Robert's early lyrics are from when he was 17 years old, and EVERYBODY talks bollox at that age heh

Still, contrast that bollox with "Rhythm is a dancer I'm as serious as cancer" and it's all praise Sir Robert isn't it? heh
Old 20th June 2009
Lives for gear
Esoteric thats all.....
"Bustle in your Hedgerow" anyone.
3 definitions here...
Urban Dictionary: A BUSTLE IN YOUR HEDGEROW
Number 3... Ooh..Err
Old 20th June 2009
Deleted bd1be4f
Quote:
I wouldn't worry about apologizing. I'm sure that Page and Plant aren't losing any sleep about it in whichever one of their many massive mansions they happen to be staying in at the moment...
Old 20th June 2009
Gear Guru

Anyone turned on a radio lately, or listened to anything the youngsters have on their IPODs these days? Makes Zep's lyrics seem pure genius in comparison.

Rock lyrics have never *had* to say anything, or make sense. If they do, that is just a bonus, or a detriment, depending on the style of music.

It is about words you can remember, hooks, and useless banter that fits the song. Led Zeppelin had all of that.
Old 20th June 2009
Gear Guru

I tend to agree, but I always loved the lyrics to Stairway. Who said it wasn't about anything?
Old 20th June 2009
Lives for gear
I don't like Led Zeppelin at all. Not one bit. To me, their music is boring and Jimmy Page has always been overrated. Just my opinion though.

Maybe it would help if classic rock radio played more than the 3 Zeppelin tunes they continue to pimp in hopes of what? More record sales of Led Zeppelin 3? Please.

Although I do think the lyrics are good. That's the last thing I have a problem about with this band.

Side note: I kinda like Bron-y-aur Stomp.... but mostly because I was forced to learn the guitar part for a band I was in back in the day. That guitar part is pretty f*cking cool.
Old 20th June 2009
Lives for gear

T'was in the darkest depth of Mordor
I met a girl so fair,
But golem, the evil one crept up
And slipped away with her.
Her, her....yea.
Ain't nothing I can do, no.
Old 20th June 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
T'was in the darkest depth of Mordor
I met a girl so fair,
But golem, the evil one crept up
And slipped away with her.
Her, her....yea.
Ain't nothing I can do, no.

Great song! thumbsup
Old 20th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Great song! thumbsup
Yeah, great SONG. Love the music. But the lyric is about hobbits. HOBBITS!! Really Robert? REALLY?
Old 20th June 2009
Jax
Lives for gear

Hobbits are cool, man. Should all lyrics be bound to the realm of this world?
Old 20th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
Hobbits are cool, man. Should all lyrics be bound to the realm of this world?
Except for David Bowie, yes.
Old 20th June 2009
Deleted bd1be4f
That was actually part of their "aura", the lyrical references to mystical, mythical stuff, medieval/black magic, Page's obsessions with Aleister Crowley and witchcraft. It all helped feed the band's mystique with their fans. And if it weren't for Zep, we probably never would have had the classic Spinal Tap "Stonehenge" bit. heh

But if you weren't there to experience it as it was happening, it can probably seem a bit silly 30 years removed. But at the time, the kids were eating that **** up, and I'd say it certainly didn't hurt the band in terms of their impact and place in the annals of rock history, or the influence they still have today...
Old 20th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post
Makes me chuckle to think of even trying to dissect "Scaramouche, scaramouche will you do the fandango."
Again, lots of interpretations. Scaramouche - a character from a novel by Rafael Sabatini - was, among many other things, a swordmaster. The Fandango is a dance. So considering the context of the lyric it can refer to a dance with or of death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by remo View Post
Now if you want some really crazy nonsensical lyrics that just WORK, listen to anything written by Jon Anderson in YES... those lyrics are INSANE but somehow I find meaning in every song.
Starship Trooper is based upon the novel "Starship Troopers" by Robert A. Heinlein.
Old 21st June 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Anyone turned on a radio lately, or listened to anything the youngsters have on their IPODs these days? Makes Zep's lyrics seem pure genius in comparison.
Best line of the day....
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

I LOVE ZEPP!!!

But, I don't like Plant's voice.. Wrrrreeeeeoooowwwww...

Old 21st June 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmmrboy View Post
I LOVE ZEPP!!!

But, I don't like Plant's voice.. Wrrrreeeeeoooowwwww...

I like both, but if you made me take a side it would be Plant's voice over Zep, I dug most of his solo work afterwords, however hate what he is doing now, I love who he is doing it with though.
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by zboy2854 View Post
That was actually part of their "aura", the lyrical references to mystical, mythical stuff, medieval/black magic, Page's obsessions with Aleister Crowley and witchcraft. It all helped feed the band's mystique with their fans. And if it weren't for Zep, we probably never would have had the classic Spinal Tap "Stonehenge" bit. heh

But if you weren't there to experience it as it was happening, it can probably seem a bit silly 30 years removed. But at the time, the kids were eating that **** up, and I'd say it certainly didn't hurt the band in terms of their impact and place in the annals of rock history, or the influence they still have today...
Very Apropos, today is the Summer Solstice.
BBC NEWS | UK | Stonehenge druid on solstice
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorGlory View Post
I don't like Led Zeppelin at all. Not one bit. To me, their music is boring and Jimmy Page has always been overrated. Just my opinion though.

Maybe it would help if classic rock radio played more than the 3 Zeppelin tunes they continue to pimp in hopes of what? More record sales of Led Zeppelin 3? Please.

Although I do think the lyrics are good. That's the last thing I have a problem about with this band.

Side note: I kinda like Bron-y-aur Stomp.... but mostly because I was forced to learn the guitar part for a band I was in back in the day. That guitar part is pretty f*cking cool.
Okay an opinion is an opinion BUT

Boring? overated? meh, John Bonham alone does not conjur up these adjectives.
Old 21st June 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yeah, great SONG. Love the music. But the lyric is about hobbits. HOBBITS!! Really Robert? REALLY?
Hobbits FTW!

Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

I hate zeppelin. with a passion.

always have.
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

and if were talking about MEANING in lyrics...

look no further thanWesley Willis

YouTube - wesley willis short documentary
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky View Post
Okay an opinion is an opinion BUT

Boring? overated? meh, John Bonham alone does not conjur up these adjectives.
John Bonham was no doubt an innovative and solid drummer that continues to inspire other drummers to this day. I like Bonham. However, I still think the majority of his playing on Led Zeppelin records was slow and doddering though.... hence the "boring". How many times should I listen to a stiffly played blues rock beat with the occasional odd time signature before I see the "genius" that everyone else does? Not gonna happen.

And I said Page was overrated. I kinda think Bonham was too (less so than Page), but I'm no drummer, so who cares what I think?

I dig JPJ's bass work though, and I always thought Plant was a killer vocalist. Just never liked the result of all 4 of them.
Old 21st June 2009
Gear Guru

I loved their first album when it came out. Their second and third were OK. I stopped buying after that.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search