The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Magic Fingers in the Bed and HoJo Clams
Old 19th June 2009
Gear Guru

Magic Fingers in the Bed and HoJo Clams

You know what really bugs me lately? It's having to explain the cultural significance of Magic Fingers in the Bed and Howard Johnson's clams. I mean, people just don't know this stuff anymore. And when I tell people "the slant-6 will never die", they just look at me like I'm out of my skull.

Here's another one I just know I'm going to have to explain in excruciating detail: The Associated Press: 'Magic Fingers Vibrating Bed' inventor dies at 92

And if you have a hankering for HoJo clams, get `em while you can. There are only 3 HoJo's left: HOWARD JOHNSON
Old 19th June 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greener View Post
Under the aegis of the saying "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people." I'll ask...

What _is_ the significance of those two things?

To me, as an Australian, a motel bed with some sort of contraption attached is a sign the joint is a dive.

I hate all seafood too, so you're really going to have to stretch.
These are two of the most important icons of Americana dating back to the late 60's. When you went on vacation as a kid back then, it typically involved being couped up in your parent's non-air-conditioned station wagon for endless hours while you tried to occupy your time playing hangman with your sister while avoiding being punched by your brother. The only break from the torture was staying in a cheap motel with color tv and bed that you put a quarter in to make it vibrate. For dinner, you would eat at Howard Johnson's, where the best thing on the menu was the fried breaded clams that tasted like two day old grease and were only slightly more edible than shoe rubber.

Sorry, but being from Australia, there is just no way you would ever get this one on your own. You just had to live it to know how ingrained these are in the American psyche. Well, with some of us, at least.
Old 19th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greener View Post
Under the aegis of the saying "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people."
You're from an island of "thieves and murderers", what do you expect?
Although
http://www.jlmaudio.com/
makes some good gear in Oz
Old 20th June 2009
Lives for gear

This should be filed under "nostalgia".

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search