The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Steve Vai
Old 16th June 2009
Lives for gear

Steve Vai

Ok, firstly.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH WESTERN SOCIETY?

He has quite a good reputation as a skilled player and musician.

BUT

He loves himself so much. Now I can see why he isn't the most modest of guys with every middle aged guitar player running around trying to touch you like a messiah but hey.

YouTube - Steve Vai demonstration

Man it makes me cringe just to watch him feed people such crap.

He's a greater entrepreneur than anything, he can talk about ''feeling'' or 'emotion' being put into music and make it even a bit sexy and preach there is a whole other side to his music than just a few notes on a page...people buy it, they pay money just to see him love himself in these ''masterclasses'' and they all gawk wide eyed ready to scribble this all down in case hair guitar of the 80s somehow makes a comeback.

Then there is G3, 2/3 of the audience will BOO when one guitarist comes out, it's worse than protestants and catholics in the 1st century

The one most annoying cringe worthy thing that hooked a million guitar players onto the Steve Vai ego trip was when he sat up there during a masterclass, running his finger through his hair (no electric fans to blow his locks unfortunately) and he said ''Tone is in your fingers'' and I swear they all got down on their knees and started worshiping him. All this and he hasn't even mentioned the ''modes'' like they are some form of witchcraft only geniuses can understand....

It's genius, he makes a mint out of all this, keeping kids to middle aged and beyond guitarists believing there is something special about him. I once was on that forum of his, any piece of gear you would ask about...let's get an example

''What is better a VOX wah pedal or a Dunlop, anyone think they know?''

Then instantly within 30 seconds come around 30 messages like this.

''Did you trid a morely? Steve uses one for years and i think mine sounds great''

--------------------------------------------
''Hey does anyone think these SD pickups are any good? I'm gonna buy some maybe''

and as before

''I use dimarzio evolutions II like steve, they make the best tone''

Steve I love you, you are better at hypnosis than Derren Brown and I want to know how you do it, **** the guitar playing. It sounds like utter **nk and 20 mins of it would make me want to kill myself (just that whiney tone over and over while he makes faces which make me want to kill him with a shovel''

I remeber a talent show where a young 20 year old went on to keep an audience interested for 3 mins or more (you all remember this one?) and by god I wanted to murder him and put him out of his misery.

- He had a shirt exactly like steve vai
- Of course the same hair style
- Same guitar
- Couldn't afford the amp

Made more faces and moves onstage than steve vai, not a great guitarist but he would have nailed it better had he concentrated on the music and not how he looked. A great Vai rip off. 1 of about several million out there.

RANT OVER. for now.

Old 16th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislpp View Post
Fear. Greed. Opportunism. Ego. Oil. Music Industry. Republicans.

Steve who?!
Old 16th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theearthis View Post
Steve Vai is awesome. I thought that video was amazing. Love the way he plays. Very artistic.
Oh dear.
Old 16th June 2009
Lives for gear

him's guitar is real ugly...mine's way more perty....
Old 17th June 2009
Not really a fan anymore, although I was into that sort of thing about 10 years ago...saw him live once or twice, and he's a really great showman - and also pretty self-deferential ("how many women do I get at my concerts anyway? *pitch shifts voice up an octave* "Steve Vai? Who the f**k is Steve Vai? I wanna go see Ricky Martin!"").

Probably doesn't come across that well in print..but it was funny at the time....
Old 17th June 2009
Gear Addict

That's actually my favorite song by him.....

I'd prefer to listen to instrument ******y in the form of Dream Theater though.
Old 17th June 2009
Lives for gear

I love Steve Vai!!!

In a class all his own. In my opinion he has a very distinct style and makes music that sometimes is very emotional and/or takes me to another place. I can see how a lot of people wouldn't be into his stuff, but he definitely speaks my language.
Old 17th June 2009

I never noticed any ego trip from Vai before. I don't follow him much anymore.
I always found him to have a good sense of humor and very willing to teach.
An ego wouldn't make him unique though - from classical, metal to pop - musicians are divas.

Every great musician has a following of clones/drones
Hell, even some of the greats are clones/variations on the older guys.
Hendrix begat Stevie Ray, who begat John Mayer/and every modern agro-blues strat player.
Eddie begat Vai/Satch/every-80's-guitar-player into Neil ZaZa, et al.
Ritchie Blackmore begat Yngwie which begat every guitar player in the current euro core/shred/death bands.
Michael Hedges begat every rhythmic/percussion, acoustic guitar, finger-tapper on YouTube.
Old 17th June 2009
Gear Maniac
This video is Steve Vai in love with himself? Looks to me like he just explaining how comes up with ideas and records them. Did he say they were great? He said he is searching for new ideas.....is that bad? I don't sense ann ego driven stuff from this video. I see a man with great technique, and is showing that he STILL has to practice. I don't get the reason to thrash him.
Such is the state of the internet now....
Geesh.
Old 17th June 2009
Lives for gear

Well compared to yngwie I'd say he is humble.

but.
Old 17th June 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by theearthis View Post
Steve Vai is awesome. I thought that video was amazing. Love the way he plays. Very artistic.
double oh dear.... subjective of course.

but Steve - if tone comes from the fingers, show us some...... he man makes everything sound like amp farm !!!

great technician, but baaad writer.....
Old 17th June 2009
Lives for gear

First of all, for all you 90s shredders and lovers out there that no doubt had this discussion, Steve Vai > Satriani. heh

Now, the next thing that needs to happen is that these guys need real guitars, necks like baseball bats and thick strings and guitars that weigh as much as lawn mowers. When i was at *guitar college* in the 90s in London I had a *shred teacher* and he told me he could make secretaries play lightning *shredding* fast if they just followed the rules and the practise hours needed.. I have no doubt he was right, wasn't that many hours either but the thing is.. what's the ****ing point, life is too short.

BTW Vai's playing on the 2 DLR albums are a million miles better than chickenfoot. Fact!
Old 17th June 2009
Lives for gear

Steve Vai Cd's are great ...

For me to poop on..! Honestly. Steve cant hold a candle to Steve Morse..
Attached Thumbnails
Steve Vai-triumphinsultcomicdog.jpg  
Old 18th June 2009
Lives for gear

i'm not to sure to say. steve vai represents everything I hate about guitarists. vain fabio-esque stage presence, wanky new agey lines and virtuosity that supercedes the content and composition.

blegh.
Old 18th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
You sound obsessed with him... I watched the video, and didn't see arrogance at all.

FWIW, there are much bigger/better issues to channel that passion into.
Old 18th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfa View Post
This video is Steve Vai in love with himself? Looks to me like he just explaining how comes up with ideas and records them. Did he say they were great? He said he is searching for new ideas.....is that bad? I don't sense ann ego driven stuff from this video. I see a man with great technique, and is showing that he STILL has to practice. I don't get the reason to thrash him.
Such is the state of the internet now....
Geesh.
Agreed.

Cheers,
--
Don
Old 18th June 2009
Gear Nut

Hi Chrislpp,

Disclaimer: I'm not a Vai fanboy.
------------------------------

I don't know...I just see a laidback dude explaining stuff in simple terms.

As a professionnal musician, I work on a daily basis with people that are WAY more arrogant than what I just saw in that video and they don't have either the talent, the skills or the resume of Vai. How many people can start their musical carreers playing with Zappa (I guess he was 20 or so back then)?

You'll see more attitude at your local Guitar Center or any music store, where the wannabes are legion... ;-)

All the best,

ez135
Old 18th June 2009
Gear Guru

I have not seen the video yet. I'm going to teach a course in jazz history and guitar and a college for summer school. So I can't respond presently, but I have a lot to say, even though I haven't seen or heard this. I admire Vai. Critics . . . Hm. Those who can't do but criticize those who can . . .

There's a world of art out there and a world of slackers and people who aspire to the lowest of common denominators and attempt to shoot down others who aspire to climb high.

Then accuse the confident, competent and able of egomania and arrogance, simply because the accused CAN do phenomenal things.
Old 18th June 2009
Gear Guru

Give me art. F*** humility.
Old 18th June 2009
Quote:
Ok, firstly.

He has quite a good reputation as a skilled player and musician.

BUT

He loves himself so much. Now I can see why he isn't the most modest of guys with every middle aged guitar player running around trying to touch you like a messiah but hey.

YouTube - Steve Vai demonstration

Man it makes me cringe just to watch him feed people such crap.

He's a greater entrepreneur than anything, he can talk about ''feeling'' or 'emotion' being put into music and make it even a bit sexy and preach there is a whole other side to his music than just a few notes on a page...people buy it, they pay money just to see him love himself in these ''masterclasses'' and they all gawk wide eyed ready to scribble this all down in case hair guitar of the 80s somehow makes a comeback.

Then there is G3, 2/3 of the audience will BOO when one guitarist comes out, it's worse than protestants and catholics in the 1st century

The one most annoying cringe worthy thing that hooked a million guitar players onto the Steve Vai ego trip was when he sat up there during a masterclass, running his finger through his hair (no electric fans to blow his locks unfortunately) and he said ''Tone is in your fingers'' and I swear they all got down on their knees and started worshiping him. All this and he hasn't even mentioned the ''modes'' like they are some form of witchcraft only geniuses can understand....

It's genius, he makes a mint out of all this, keeping kids to middle aged and beyond guitarists believing there is something special about him. I once was on that forum of his, any piece of gear you would ask about...let's get an example

''What is better a VOX wah pedal or a Dunlop, anyone think they know?''

Then instantly within 30 seconds come around 30 messages like this.

''Did you trid a morely? Steve uses one for years and i think mine sounds great''

--------------------------------------------
''Hey does anyone think these SD pickups are any good? I'm gonna buy some maybe''

and as before

''I use dimarzio evolutions II like steve, they make the best tone''

Steve I love you, you are better at hypnosis than Derren Brown and I want to know how you do it, **** the guitar playing. It sounds like utter **nk and 20 mins of it would make me want to kill myself (just that whiney tone over and over while he makes faces which make me want to kill him with a shovel''

I remeber a talent show where a young 20 year old went on to keep an audience interested for 3 mins or more (you all remember this one?) and by god I wanted to murder him and put him out of his misery.

- He had a shirt exactly like steve vai
- Of course the same hair style
- Same guitar
- Couldn't afford the amp

Made more faces and moves onstage than steve vai, not a great guitarist but he would have nailed it better had he concentrated on the music and not how he looked. A great Vai rip off. 1 of about several million out there.

RANT OVER. for now.

A little JEALOUS maybe? tutt

And BT"W what the hell is arrogant about Steve Vai explaining to us how he used rhythmic ideas from Bulgarian wedding tunes on a track from his CD? I think it shows his humility in that he is searching for ideas that are 'outside the box'
A quote from this video, and you can all judge wether or not this is arrogance "Its really easy to sit there and go [he plays scales at a ridiculously fast pace] scales forever, and 'shred' . . . but to actually make something speak, with articulation, is a very different thing, it took a lot of time for this to actually fit in my fingers"
To me this doesn't at all sound arrogant. Just the opposite, he could sit there and play what feels comfortable to his fingers, which is quite a lot, but instead he is trying to learn something new, based on an old folk tradition, how incredibly cool, and humble for such a successful and talented person to want to keep on learning, and uh maybe that's why he's so successful.

DP

Reicher Recording - Home

Last edited by Darth Preamp; 18th June 2009 at 06:01 PM.. Reason: forgot something
Old 18th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
There's a world of art out there and a world of slackers and people who aspire to the lowest of common denominators and attempt to shoot down others who aspire to climb high.

Then accuse the confident, competent and able of egomania and arrogance, simply because the accused CAN do phenomenal things.
Incredible. thumbsup

And not just with art... In all areas of life that's true.
Old 18th June 2009
Lives for gear

yes, sometimes when someone says "it's a tonguetwister for your fingers", it may set off a bit of a reaction in people... but the guy is breaking down a technically challenging song, giving insight into the creative process, and in general trying to make some of this stuff accessible.

The comments on you tube remind me of a joke:
How many guitar players does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
1 to screw it in and every single other player to tell people how they could do it better.
Old 18th June 2009
Lives for gear

Great video man thanks for posting! heh
Old 18th June 2009
Lives for gear

Well said Henry, as usual!
Old 19th June 2009
Gear Head

I saw Steve play on the first round of the Zappa plays Zappa tour - At one point Dweezil and Vai cut heads - Guess who submitted first... Granted it may have been in his contract, but I highly doubt it...
Old 19th June 2009
Lives for gear

The best album he had IMHO was that album he did with Devin Townsend, was it Sex and Religion?

Anyway I remember around that time my friend (who I had lent the album to) told me he was touring and we should go see him. My response was raised eyebrows and "Are you sure? Steve Vai?"

He responded "yeah man, come on. It will be awesome"

So we went.

I am not sure if it was the crowd made up of 99% aspiring male guitarists or the fact that Steve was playing to the crowd but the show was pretty boring for my tastes and it all got a bit much for me and I left with about 15 minutes to go sit outside and wait for my friend.

When I got outside he was sitting there with a depressed look on his face. "I thought it was gonna be like Sex and Religion. Thats sucked." he said. "Come on man, it is a Steve Vai concert" was my response.

However, there was one point during the show when he did something that I had no idea how he did it. It was amazing sonically and obviously technique wise and it will last with me forever. That is often what I like in performance, the illusion.

As a person I have always found him to come across as very friendly and humble actually, (sure he got that fullon american showbiz vibe) but he never seemed arrogant to me.

As a really young boy, the first album I truly got into was PiL's Album/cassette/Compact Disc. I loved it. Many years later I learnt it was Vai who contributed a lot of the guitar parts. So I have him to thank for contributing to an album that bought me a lot of enjoyment. He is a good dude in my books. Often corny but still a good dude.
Old 19th June 2009
Gear Addict

I have yet to read through this thread, but as I just have a moment, I'd say that if Steve is arrogant, it is likely deserved. Whether or not you like his style, he is unmatched in ability....10 hours of practice a day for 30 years can do that to a person. His skill is beyond belief. That said, I can not emotionally connect with his music, but I can marvel at his abilities. Used to be a huge fan when I was a speed guitar player back in the day as well. Don't really care about music anymore, but I still appreciate the guy's dedication and abilities.
Old 19th June 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
I don't know much about him or his attitude, but that sounds pretty lame to me.

Steve Vai: "I've got my Pro Tools open here, with about 4 million tracks for this song"

Maybe one GOOD track might have been preferable.
Old 19th June 2009
Lives for gear

Is it too soon for a return to......

Old 19th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tengu View Post
As a really young boy, the first album I truly got into was PiL's Album/cassette/Compact Disc. I loved it. Many years later I learnt it was Vai who contributed a lot of the guitar parts. So I have him to thank for contributing to an album that bought me a lot of enjoyment. He is a good dude in my books. Often corny but still a good dude.
I was just listening to that "Rise" last night! Amazing record.
I figure they should re-release it as AAC or MP3. Seems appropriate.

Oh and Vai's a cool dude. Very self-effacing. Brilliant musician!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search