The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
WAVES WUP is a rip-off
Old 10th June 2009
Lives for gear

WAVES WUP is a rip-off

I bought the L3 limiter, which is not all that great. I must have paid close to $400.Then I paid about $100 for the WUP and there were NO updates. So useless waste of money.
Then my hard-drive crashed this week and the L3 will not reload and recognize the ILOK key. All my other software on the ilok works.
So I go to write to Waves and the website will not let me contact Tech support without renewing my WUP which would be another $100 ! ! ! Then there is no guarantee it will even work.
But why should I have to spend $100 a year on a cheap limiter just to get technical support.

I am not in a good mood.
Old 10th June 2009
Lives for gear

A complaint about Waves and their update plan? That's rare to hear around these parts of the internet.
Old 10th June 2009
Lives for gear

I know it is not rare - but to pay $100 just to ask a question and not get any update? What kind of customer service is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
A complaint about Waves and their update plan? That's rare to hear around these parts of the internet.
Old 10th June 2009
Gear Maniac

That does seem very high for a single plugin.

I hadn't paid for WUP in about 2 years and finally had to renew my Platinum native bundle for $200 a couple of weeks ago to get version 6. It included two new plugins: H-compressor and H-delay, both of which sound very, very good to me.

The Platinum bundle also includes the L3 Ultramaximizer (not the Multimaximizer), but it does the job for me, so I can't really complain. The last time I paid for WUP ($200), I also got the IR-L, MaxxVolume, MV2, Tune LT (which I don't really use), Doubler, and two versions of the L3 Ultramaximizer, so the bundles are worth it, but maybe not the individual plugins.

I upgraded and had to download the new 6.x licenses to my iLok, but then it was simple to install all the 6.x versions on my new Mac Pro.

NOTE: I ALWAYS keep a copy of the downloaded file backed up somewhere (like on DVD/CD or other HD) in case I need to re-install and don't have WUP current. That happened to me last year when my system drive crashed and I had to re-install all my Waves (and everything else). My iLok immediately recognized the re-installed plugins and I had no trouble. The challenge/response plugins took more time since I had to wait for a new code from the manufacturer's website, find my serial number(s), and then type or copy/paste serial #'s and/or response codes in, etc. - PITA. I prefer iLok: re-install and go.

If you're not TOO jaded with Waves, it sounds like upgrading to some sort of bundle that includes the L3 will be a much better investment over the long term than the WUP for a single plugin.
Old 10th June 2009
Lives for gear

Good post. Thanks for it. By the way, I had the L3 on my computer - but it keeps on asking for the ilok or disk key at the end of the setup, when the ILOK already has it on it and it is a "never" ending license.

So yes - it does make more sense to buy bundles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwilliam View Post
That does seem very high for a single plugin.

I hadn't paid for WUP in about 2 years and finally had to renew my Platinum native bundle for $200 a couple of weeks ago to get version 6. It included two new plugins: H-compressor and H-delay, both of which sound very, very good to me.

The Platinum bundle also includes the L3 Ultramaximizer (not the Multimaximizer), but it does the job for me, so I can't really complain. The last time I paid for WUP ($200), I also got the IR-L, MaxxVolume, MV2, Tune LT (which I don't really use), Doubler, and two versions of the L3 Ultramaximizer, so the bundles are worth it, but maybe not the individual plugins.

I upgraded and had to download the new 6.x licenses to my iLok, but then it was simple to install all the 6.x versions on my new Mac Pro.

NOTE: I ALWAYS keep a copy of the downloaded file backed up somewhere (like on DVD/CD or other HD) in case I need to re-install and don't have WUP current. That happened to me last year when my system drive crashed and I had to re-install all my Waves (and everything else). My iLok immediately recognized the re-installed plugins and I had no trouble. The challenge/response plugins took more time since I had to wait for a new code from the manufacturer's website, find my serial number(s), and then type or copy/paste serial #'s and/or response codes in, etc. - PITA. I prefer iLok: re-install and go.

If you're not TOO jaded with Waves, it sounds like upgrading to some sort of bundle that includes the L3 will be a much better investment over the long term than the WUP for a single plugin.
Old 11th June 2009
Lives for gear

sounds like you got ripped off by the retailer. The L3 BUNDLE, which includes L1, L2, L3 multi, and L3LL multis can be had for the same price.
Old 11th June 2009
Lives for gear

Spend less than $100 on the Massey Limiter and be HAPPY!
Old 11th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
sounds like you got ripped off by the retailer. The L3 BUNDLE, which includes L1, L2, L3 multi, and L3LL multis can be had for the same price.
I'm sure the L3 bundle is what he purchased, as Waves doesn't sell the L3 by itself...but the bundle doesn't include the L1 or L2, only the four versions of the L3 ("regular" and LL versions of the Ultramaximizer and Multimaximizer)...you can see the details here.

I agree that it sucks that Waves requires you to have WUP for any sort of tech support, but I'm still not sure why people pay for the WUP when they don't need it...
Old 11th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duardo View Post
I'm sure the L3 bundle is what he purchased, as Waves doesn't sell the L3 by itself...but the bundle doesn't include the L1 or L2, only the four versions of the L3 ("regular" and LL versions of the Ultramaximizer and Multimaximizer)...you can see the details here.

I agree that it sucks that Waves requires you to have WUP for any sort of tech support, but I'm still not sure why people pay for the WUP when they don't need it...
Oh wow. You're right. I stand corrected

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search