wats wrong with this picture

huh....

I'm getting sick of this....

not my session, DAMN!!! not one bar of groove in the whole track... AAARRRGGHHH
Attached Thumbnails
wats wrong with this picture-picture-1.jpg  
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

damn. that looks like stuff im forced to do when turd polishing. i wish that people would just play well.

oh well keeps me working.
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

WOW....

suck to be an editor sometimes..hahahahah
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Addict

HOLY CRAP.

I did a session once that I needed to do that to. I was losing my mind the whole time. I finally got it to sound decent and we started tracking guitars. That was even worse if you can believe it. Alot of that duh-duh-dun, style guitar gallop (2 16th, 1 8th) on the E-string. Had to punch in almost all of them. After 2 days, I killed the project and haven't worked with either of them since.
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

This is what's wrong

See, lots of room for more editing
heh

ruudman
Attached Thumbnails
wats wrong with this picture-edit_madness2.jpg  
Old 12th August 2005

PMSL

hahahahahaha

too funny!!!

I'll get right on it

ROFL
Old 12th August 2005
Your'e loseing your touch Tools - how could you have missed THAT!

heh
Old 12th August 2005

Well you could always bounce it and chop it up again - maybe you can put it back to how it was!

Sheeez
Tim
Old 12th August 2005

believe me.... thats not what ANYBODY would want....
Old 12th August 2005
jordan19
wow... that does look painfully tedious. whatever happened to just plain talented musicians
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Addict

We're broke . We spend our money on quality gear, and that **** ain't cheap. Bogner, Suhr, Tom Anderson, Orange. Thats mucha grands on that. I have to finance 2 careers, Engineering and Guitarist, I'M SCREWED
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

and I thought I had it bad heh
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

What's wrong with this picture? Let's see. It looks like they forgot to [SHIFT]-[ALT]-[3]. I've done that many edits before. You'd never know it though. Stop judging books by their covers! What does it sound like? If it sounds good, who cares how many edits the person had to do. Personally, I'm a little sickened by the people that track an entire record, don't do any editing, and then hand it to me to mix. The time to do the dishes is while you're cooking! People are so spoiled by the digital age that they think mixing and editing are synonymous. When I get handed a pile of ****, I mix it and fix the obvious flaws, if possible. But in the end, it is was it is.
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

TOOLS - O - MATIC!!

IT SLICES! IT DICES!!

BUT WAIT... THERE'S MORE!!!!
Old 12th August 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by absrec
What's wrong with this picture? Let's see. It looks like they forgot to [SHIFT]-[ALT]-[3]. I've done that many edits before. You'd never know it though. Stop judging books by their covers! What does it sound like? If it sounds good, who cares how many edits the person had to do. Personally, I'm a little sickened by the people that track an entire record, don't do any editing, and then hand it to me to mix. The time to do the dishes is while you're cooking! People are so spoiled by the digital age that they think mixing and editing are synonymous. When I get handed a pile of ****, I mix it and fix the obvious flaws, if possible. But in the end, it is was it is.
they had tracked the record already, sooooo bad, no fixes.....

I took the screen shot pre-consolidation to illustrate a point....

Now it sounds good, my gripe is that I had to spend a few hours hacking and slicing, putting their all their stuff together...I do this **** ALL the time too, its just depressing sometimes.....

Old 12th August 2005
There is only one

i wouldnt do that... EVER.

that isnt reocrding.... that isnt music. go make some electronica if you have to do that to the music.
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Amen. Doofus just forgot to consolidate the regions. thumbsup
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolskid
I do this **** ALL the time too, its just depressing sometimes.....

I only do it if:
a.) I think it might actually make a difference

and

b.) If I'm being paid enough

Otherwise, I just leave their mediocrity in plain view for the whole world to see. I'm also not above asserting myself and/or returning to sender. Let them fix it. If that's the best they can do, it ain't your problem, right? Just mix it. There are plently of great bands and artists that will never be heard because the airwaves are too filled with corporate crap that has been fixed and polished. And we, the digital magicians, are the reason. I hated most of the music in the 80's. But one thing I will say is that most of those people could play. Because they HAD TO!!!
Old 12th August 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajerk
i wouldnt do that... EVER.

that isnt reocrding.... that isnt music. go make some electronica if you have to do that to the music.
wel...

I get paid to do that..

so I do!!
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

Damn Tools- Trying to pass off your tracks as someone elses again eh?

Suggestion: Metronome

I'm going to send you my old copy of " Funky Primer" . That ought to sort you out.

Are those drum tracks only?

they should save their money for an advert for " new drummer needed" if that's the case.

the **** we gots to do to pay the rent ...
Old 12th August 2005

no click was used on this session so its all from tempo map I made from the kit pre-fixing...its drums bass and some of the gtrs... oh yes... there was more........
Old 12th August 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral
Amen. Doofus just forgot to consolidate the regions. thumbsup
no.......read the posts....
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolskid
no click was used on this session so its all from tempo map I made from the kit pre-fixing...its drums bass and some of the gtrs... oh yes... there was more........
I'd rather watch paint dry...
Old 12th August 2005

Quote:
I'd rather watch paint dry...
werd!
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

Not to sound bold or anything, but I can edit with the best of them. What you're doing goes beyond editing. The mental strain of listening to something over and over with no reference to go on would require some serious meds.
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Addict

I gotta say who would have the patience for that? And what would be the outcome? Where is the accomplishment? It would have to be just to get paid. SAD!!!!
Old 12th August 2005

its actually fine, the meds are working (the dosages massive!!!!)

seriously tho, I do a lot of non-tempo locked editing and once you have a tempo-map constructed with any really terminal tempo leaps corrected before hand, its just a matter of trying to inject some groove into terribly inconsistent or vibe-less performances. As long as you can get a handle on the players intention and don't ever hit 'conform' (unless you're getting part of the way there with groove maps), with manual nudging and a lot of listening you can get miraculous results. The reference I use is just my internal clock I suppose, when it feels right, the next bar gets a look-in. I'm always listening back in large chunks to make sure I'm not killing it, and that the groove is consistent in a good way. Its a lot more laborious than tweaking tempolocked material, but its the same mind-set, for me at least !!

DAMN, I wish more players could play!!! Anyhow, its not my project, I'm just the hired hand on this occasion!!!!

I didn't really post this to start an editing thread, or 'look how many edits I can do', more just venting a little frustration on a particularly trying day!!
Old 12th August 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedcrop
I gotta say who would have the patience for that? And what would be the outcome? Where is the accomplishment? It would have to be just to get paid. SAD!!!!
it is really, but when this is your livelihood, you tend to do work when its offered. London isn't weighed down with massive huge-budget album projects at the moment...

The accomplishment is getting something unusable to sound good! I'm in a service-based business, I try to deliver the service my clients want. I'm lucky in that most of the work I do isn't like this, but, if its what the client wants, I'll work hard for them. If its my production, editing isn't the vibe.
Old 12th August 2005
There is only one

tools, i cant even imagine your frustration... nor do i think there are enough drugs in this world to make me do that, or money. that would cost the client a million dollars for me to take that on.
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajerk
nor do i think there are enough drugs in this world to make me do that,
I don't buy that Alpha. I'll bet I could sway you with a half ounce of ___________
A hundered hits of _______________________________________________
And a 6 pack of imported ___________________________________________

(insert favorite vice's above)

Now, trying to do all the editing in DP> that's another story alltogether.

heh heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search