The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
A Momentary Lapse Of Something....
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

A Momentary Lapse Of Something....

I just picked up "A Momentary Lapse Of Reason" again. I used to have it a while ago, but it either got stolen or lost during my hectic life.

This version is "digitally remastered, with supervision by the band". It sounds a lot different to me than it used to. It seems "flatter" and not as "wide". Am I hearing things? I wish I had an original version to compare it to, but I don't.
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

I'm actually hearing distortion (sounds like digital clipping) on "Dog's of War". I hope this is something with my computer here.

I'm taking the disk to the studio tomorrow to check this out. I hope it's not distorted, George Marino is a great mastering engineer and I don't see him doing something like that. You never know though.
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

like the Dewar quote dj
Old 8th August 2005
There is an A&R person I know who worked at Rondor music publishing UK and now for Poptones - called James Dewar.. I wonder if he is related..??? I should ask him..
Old 10th August 2005
Gear Guru

I couldn't tell you. I only have it on vinyl, and it does sound great. Except for Dogs of War which is kind of annoying.

Overall, 'Division Bell' is a much better record. thumbsup
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

Yep, Dog's of War has clipping on it. It's really loud to....not something subtle. Maybe I got a bad disk. (still can't believe something like that left the mastering house). The top end is also fragile and brittle sounding.

Thanks for the comments on the quote. It is a great quote.
Old 13th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Funny to read this tonight...
I was listening to the 30th anniversary re-mastered edition of Dark Side, and I thought it sounded like the re-master was pretty poorly done.
They squashed a lot of it to death, killing the dynamics and losing the drums in parts.

I mean, am I nuts??

-CJ
Old 14th August 2005
Gear Nut

It's funny, just the other day I was listening to "about face" david gilmours second solo album from about 84 or so... and it reminded me so much of "momentary lapse of reason"... it's easy to see how much control dave had over the music once roger left. I never really liked momentary very much, I mean it's got some wicked guitar playing on it, but I find it to be one of the most dated floyd records they ever made. Might have something to do with my utter distain of popular music from the 80's... but it lacked that certain magic that all the other floyd albums had. Mind you it was the only floyd album not tracked to tape. The fact that they named it "Momentary lapse of reason" often amuses me because of the fact that it was their first, and so far, only foray into tracking their music digitaly. I belive they recorded the majority of it to adats on dave's house boat astoria.

I have it on both vinyl and cd, I'll check into that distortion... maybe tommorow I'll give it a spin. The cd version I have is from their box set, but I don't think it has been remastered since that was released in about 92 or so.
Old 14th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystical

I have it on both vinyl and cd, I'll check into that distortion... maybe tommorow I'll give it a spin. The cd version I have is from their box set, but I don't think it has been remastered since that was released in about 92 or so.

You probably won't hear it on the one's you have. The disk I have is the re-mastered version that's in stores now. It say's "digitally remastered with guidance from the band" on it.

You're right about it being dated. It's got 80's samples/verb allllll over it. Cool album though. I'd like to find it on vinyl. I used to have DSOTM and Division Bell on vinyl. Gotta get that again.
Old 14th August 2005
Gear Nut

The used record store that I frequent has had a copy on vinyl for a while. If it's still there this week i'll grab it for you.
Old 15th August 2005
Lives for gear

Yeah, let me know. I'll paypal you the money for the record and shipping
Old 16th August 2005
Gear Nut

Hey bro went down there today and wouldn't you know it... they sold it on the weekend. I'll keep an eye out for one though. I usualy see a copy come in every couple of months or so.
Old 16th August 2005
Lives for gear
Pink Floyd without Roger is by very definition a 'lapse of reason'.

as in: no reason to be.
Old 16th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey bro went down there today and wouldn't you know it... they sold it on the weekend. I'll keep an eye out for one though. I usualy see a copy come in every couple of months or so.

haha! Figures. If you find one let me know. I'd love to have it.
Old 17th August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman
Pink Floyd without Roger is by very definition a 'lapse of reason'.

as in: no reason to be.
How do you figure? Pink Floyd made some great music without Roger and put on two fantastic tours (I saw both of them). Different than with Waters? Of course, but does that mean worthless? No way. MLOR is not their best, but it does have a few fantastic songs on it. Division Bell as an excellent album that is among my desert island records.

The last Pink Floyd album with Roger Waters was The Final Cut. Now that album has no reason to be. As in: it sucks.
Old 17th August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
I belive they recorded the majority of it to adats on dave's house boat astoria.
Couldn't have. AMLOR was recorded in 1987. Adats were introduced in 1991.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search