The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Violet v. BLUE the solution.....
Old 6th December 2004
Lives for gear

Violet v. BLUE the solution.....

http://violet-design.com/index.php
Old 6th December 2004
Lives for gear

Sorry, but it's not BLUE at all. In fact it's violet.
What about their EAR capsule, is that BLUE?

It is slavic though. The design is kinky!
Old 6th December 2004
Lives for gear

Hmmm....

They use a color as their name and have very funky colorfull looking design to their mics.

If they aren`t related to Blue in some way they sure aren`t being very original.

I must say those are some really cool looking mics though.

I wonder how they sound.
Old 6th December 2004
Gear Addict

People keep stumbling onto their site periodically, but no reporting of any actual experiences. I find it interesting that the Russian article has prices listed in US dollars. I wonder if this isn't a flat out scam. Lack of google hits seems to imply that no one is using them, but that may just be in the English speaking world.

Bear
Old 6th December 2004
Lives for gear

A couple of pictures from the factory tour, I remember seeing them in another company's web site long time ago. Probably Blue, but I'm not so sure. Violet's "old factory" they say was in Riga, Latvia, which is where Blue's factory is located in? I wonder if it is the same factory...

Meanwhile, here's a Blue ripoff from Lego land.

http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/thoi...el-167153.html

-Yutaka
Old 6th December 2004
Gear Maniac

i think i read in sound on sound magazine that their mics are designed by the same company as the blue mics. they figured if blue is selling the mics we make we could market them as well.

Kinda like those chinese factories making the parts for western mic companies, realising they could start for themselves just by putting the parts together themselves.......
Old 6th December 2004
Lives for gear

The story I was told was that Blue had been bought out by a company and the old employees of Blue (and the original factory) were now calling themselves Violet.

I'd love to get clarification from someone on this. I haven't had time to check the facts but any info would be helpful
Old 6th December 2004
Gear Addict

Browsing the Violet website, I see a dead ringer for the baby bottle and dragonfly, and what are close enough that I'd believe they were photoshopped copies of the mouse and blueberry.
Old 6th December 2004
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by SureShotStudio
i think i read in sound on sound magazine that their mics are designed by the same company as the blue mics. they figured if blue is selling the mics we make we could market them as well.

Kinda like those chinese factories making the parts for western mic companies, realising they could start for themselves just by putting the parts together themselves.......
I think I read that in Sound on Sound too.
Old 6th December 2004
Lives for gear

I think you can buy them in OZ. Maybe I'll take a closer look.....
Knew those Russian lessons would come in handy one day!
Old 6th December 2004
Old 6th December 2004
Lives for gear

Hmmmm... Maybe the fact that they`re shaped like ears make them sound better.

Or maybe you put them in your ears to make the microphones sound better.
Old 7th December 2004

I heard from a very reliable source that the BLUE people are not very happy with the VIOLET people, even to the point of strange threatening phone calls to a company who was looking at distributing the VIOLET mics in the UK - threatening enough that they changed their minds on the idea.

eeeeeek!

Tim
Old 7th December 2004
Lives for gear

Whoa.

The only thing missing is a picture of Martins Saulespurens in an anechoic chamber. There's just too much quotation -- this must be a splinter-faction by some members of the manufacturing end of BLUE.

Kinda ****ty to so flagrantly mimic BLUE's gestalt.

-dave
Old 7th December 2004
Lives for gear

Maybe they thought that by making the capsules un-round they could eliminate brittle high end.
Old 7th December 2004

Quote:
Originally posted by entropy
The story I was told was that Blue had been bought out by a company and the old employees of Blue (and the original factory) were now calling themselves Violet.
Maybe that's why BLUE started making their mics in China.
Old 7th December 2004
chikkenguy
violet design

http://violet-design.com/

found this on the tape op board.

also check this out. http://violet-design.com/index.php?o...sid=8&Itemid=2
Old 7th December 2004
Lives for gear

they are the ones who designed and built most of the BLUE capsules, except for the new BLUE-BALL series. compared to the BLUE mics you can easily look at the freq graphs to find out which capsule designs they are using in their own products. The interesting thing is that they seem to built the "U47"/"B7" type of capsule into some of their lower priced fet mics as an option, which Blue does not offer (only cactus and bottle I think).

Rock on!
Pat
Old 8th December 2004
Very strange web site. Their forums make some interesting reading.
Old 8th December 2004
Lives for gear

has anyone actually had one of these in hand? There ar some things on the website that seem to imply that the whole thing is a joke. The lack of prices/dealers, the ear shaped diphragms etc.
Old 8th December 2004
Lives for gear

Hi,

I don't think it's a joke ,there are dealers . They are imported in France and I'd like to try them .

Volodia
Old 8th December 2004
Lives for gear

they will send you a pricelist if you request one. it´s no joke. I guess it´s soundquality in the league of blue with a slightly smaller pricetag. but it all remains to be proven...
Old 9th December 2004
Lives for gear

at least they look like Blue
Old 9th December 2004
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by TonyBelmont
Maybe that's why BLUE started making their mics in China.
Where did you come across this information???
Old 9th December 2004
I went to the Blue Microphone forum and asked about this situation. Somebody apparently from Blue (but logged in as "Guest" on the forum so I can't be 100% certain) posted this response:

----------

As is common in our industry, when you do something well, everyone wants a piece of it. The microphone marketplace has been flooded with look-alike products that promise equal performance for less and never really deliver. As manufacturers, we believe that consumers will be “once bitten, twice shy.” This is one of our primary motivations for designing uniquely styled and superior performing products. Furthermore, we would strongly caution buyers from buying products of dubious design and origin.

We are aware of the activities of Violet Design. They are indeed offering knock-off products in violation of our trademark, trade dress and intellectual property rights. Our legal department is handling the situation.

Rest assured, Martins Saulespurens, Skipper Wise, and all of the key staff responsible for the development of Blue microphones throughout the years remain dedicated to Blue. All of the hard working people at Blue greatly appreciated the wonderful support we’ve received from consumers, critics, and dealers, and will continue to bring you new, exciting and innovative products.

Sincerely,

Blue Management

-------

Anyway thought you'd like to read it.
Old 9th December 2004
krs
Lives for gear

wtf is with that ear shaped capsule
Old 9th December 2004
Lives for gear

How did that Mountain Dew commercial go ?...."Tommy, I think we got hosed..."

The "ear-shaped" capsule is what puts it over the top...That is bogus.

A bunch of the "****-brigade" dorks were planning on doing a gear hoax awhile back to see if people fell for it.

This looks like it.

Hey, I have been wrong before, but that's what it looks like to me. Seems like even BLUE bought it.
Old 9th December 2004
500 series nutjob

well if anyone gets to check one out i would like to hear some feedback on it.
Old 9th December 2004
500 series nutjob

seems a bit iffy, but if someone dose see one for real, it would be interesting.
Old 9th December 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
they will send you a pricelist if you request one. it´s no joke.
I could send you a pricelist if you request one...doesn't mean anything. Has anyone actually heard one, or seen one in person?

I like how everyone's anonymous on their forum.

-Duardo

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search