The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Violet v. BLUE the solution.....
Old 5th August 2005
Jai guru deva om

But yes, um whoever you are from BLUE...how about the cage match?

hehehe

War
Old 5th August 2005
Very interesting...... but STUPID!
Attached Images
Violet v. BLUE the solution.....-sargent_shultz.gif 
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Head

OK, if not Violet or Blue then what? Mic advice.

Before I start, I want to point out that the reason I joined this forum is because I was doing some pretty extensive research on vocal mics, specifically the Blueberry. I was looking for info on who the actual designer of the mic was, and at this point I'm very confused. I'm starting to agree with some of you guys...I should maybe put off buying either one of those brands until it all gets sorted out.
But I still need a mic!
These are the reasons a Blueberry appealed to me: because it was meant to handle singers at very close range, and I tend to sing very close to the mic which sometimes makes my sound a bit muddy. Also, it was in my price range, which is around $1000 Canadian.
I've had people recommend different companies to me - Apex (doesn't look so hot) and SE Electronics. I would really appreciate advice from some Slutz!
BTW, I should mention that I'm a female alto.

Cheers!
Old 5th August 2005
Here for the gear

..no coments..

..no coments..
Attached Thumbnails
Violet v. BLUE the solution.....-made-china-001-m.jpg   Violet v. BLUE the solution.....-made-china-002-m.jpg  
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

...sorry dot i had to heh
Old 5th August 2005
Here for the gear

Concerning Blueberry (JZ-1), Mouse (JZ-2), Kiwi (JZ-3), Dragonfly (JZ-4), Cactus (JZ-5), Baby Bottle (JZ-6) models.
I have only one little note - NOT the SAME products, but the same named IMITATED products.

QUOTE=blue-visitor]
..................We also hope you will continue to support Blue - still the same company and same products that you have become familiar with over the last decade.[/QUOTE]
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

the third member of wham....hehehe you were the one without the tan i suppose... anyway all I know is I have a LOT of mics... 47, 67's 87's um900 etc.. and my kiwi is a go to female vocal mic especially for altos....and I record a lot of acoustic guitars and the dragon flies never get taken down for this app....So I don't really care if they are made in antartica ....I wouldn't abandon Blue ..

cheers
SP
Old 5th August 2005
Here for the gear

Good luck (you'll need that) ..
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenberg
..no coments..
That's BS, pardon my language.
BLUE has never denied that the mic's accessories were made in
China.
Cables, shock mount.

ruudman
Old 5th August 2005
Art
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenberg
..no coments..

yeah sure, in their statement Blue clearly states that some of their shockmounts and cables are made in China.

Art
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60
if jz was employed to make or design the mic's or parts of the mic's, then as a employe would not blue still be the owner?
i had no beef with jz when i fist noticed the violet line, but i find a twinge of dislike as to the way he, and others, have come in on a topic pertaining to blue, and totally turned it into a campaign to dam them.
i could understand, if someone stole from me, i would be livid, i hope this is not the case with blue.
however jz has turned many against himself based on his tactic's, i believe at this point they were intended solely to damage blue, a vedette so to speak.
jz, so you allegedly designed the mic's, but you worked for blue, they think they own them, so do you.
tell your story, thats fine, deal with the dirty laundry in court, win or loose, make a good mic, a great mic, and deal the world in, we all need great mic's.
sadly this free advertisement, i do not believe, is poss for ether company, jz leaves a bitter taste, and blue ( aside from being somewhat vague ) will need to prove their new production of mic's, to be as good as the originals....

I agree. Before I knew about this whole thing I had owned a Blue mic and was thinking about purchasing a Violet product as well. But after reading all of JZ's tactless self promotions and slander of Blue's products I am completely turned off from anything he has to say now. Come on guys we're professionals here! Leave the dirty details for court. I feel like I'm reading the daily hollywood gossip column.
JZ if your interested in promoting your product, then do it in an honorable way. Take out an ad.
Old 5th August 2005
Here for the gear

Original Dragonfly (JZ-4) shockmounts are made in Latvia at our factory.
Imitations are coming from China..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruudman
That's BS, pardon my language.
BLUE has never denied that the mic's accessories were made in
China.
Cables, shock mount.

ruudman
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art
This is an extremely good point, JZ was not involved in the production of The Bottle, it is manufactured at a different facility. The other mics do seem to be based off of The Bottle. I guess this is what could happen if you sub-contract manufacturing, especially in a country where corruption is rampant. I can clearly see that JZ has a whole lot to learn if he plans on doing any real business in the U.S.. I for one, do not trust him, too many suspicious activities and inconsistencies.

For Example, whenever he attempts to list a microphone on EBAY, the system automatically pulls his listing due to patent infringements, they must know something that we do not know I assume. I was lucky enough to catch one of his listings before it got shut down and I glanced at his feedback. His main business was selling computer software for .01 and overcharging for shipping. This makes me uncomfortable.

Oh, and then there are the people he sends to pose as regular members, who are obviously in some way affiliated with him.

And of course his rants all over all of the forums about how he designed everything ever, hey then why even get involved with BLUE in the first place? Maybe because you did not actually have a complete product without them?

Then JZ spreads the rumor that BLUE moves manufacturing to China, which of course is denied by BLUE (except shockmounts).

Then, we have two different people who claim to be authorized distributors for the U.S., only to make another mess of things on the 3DB forum. One distributor accuses the other of basically being a fraud. Is this company a circus or what?

Then of course all of the documents he provides, well sh*t I can provide you a document stating that I was the third member of Wham, but that does not make it so.

As a company, BLUE has been professional and consistent. So why take a risk with someone like JZ? Even if he designed CERTAIN COMPONENTS of the mics and his company manufactured the mics, this does not constitute ownership. It is very common to sub-contract certain aspects of design and manufacturing, if this type of practice were allowed then the business world would be in chaos. Sorry if I seem pissed, I am, I do not care if this guy designed the friggin moon, I am not buying anything from him cause he appears to lack integrity (simply my opinion-you have a right to yours).

Art

Here here!!....I agree 110%!
Old 5th August 2005
500 series nutjob

a lot of cable and mic mounts for many companys are made in china.
Old 5th August 2005
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZ Recording
Imitations are coming from China..
Big deal. BLUE terminates any manufacturing with JZ so they get the shock mounts made in China. I am sure that 80% of mic companies are getting their shock mounts made in China anyway. That is probably why most mics come with a free shock mount. So now back to the important matter............. CAGE MATCH!
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Imitations are coming from China.
I don't have a problem with Blue having the shockmounts made in China...if that's a way they can keep their prices from going up and they're still reliable, great.

-Duardo
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

If the chinese can get man into space, I'm sure they can make decent
shock mounts...

ruudman
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by csonics
I am completely turned off from anything he has to say now. Come on guys we're professionals here! Leave the dirty details for court. I feel like I'm reading the daily hollywood gossip column.
JZ if your interested in promoting your product, then do it in an honorable way. Take out an ad.

I think we are all starting to feel the same way. Slander and dirt won't convince me to go out and buy a product. Had JZ taken the high road and showed some class, "maybe", but instead, he chose to become a slimey used car salesman (apologies to all of you *real* slimey used car salesmen out there...), and I have no intention of ever buying anything from him.

BLUE have taken the high road, and tried to stay clear of the mud-slinging, even though their name was getting dragged through the dirt...that shows class, and I respect the way they have handled a very tough situation.
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Head

Thanks Dan - I'll respond to your questions...

Quigley, do you know that the Blueberry's actually quite colored? Is that what you're wanting?

Yes, I knew that. I've read quite a few reviews...what was your experience with vocal coloration?

What kind of music are you doing and what kind of sound are you wanting?

I do electronic pop/techno, and I tend to layer a lot of vocals like Queen did on their albums. I find that my voice tends to sound a bit thin unless I get really close, but then there's that proximity effect.

Have you used any mics before that you really liked?

Not really. There were some that were better than others, but nothing I'd run out and buy. BTW, none of them were the mics you listed.

Do you have a decent mic preamp?

No, I have a very basic DAW setup...in fact if I were to buy a mic it would probably be the most expensive thing in my studio! My plan is to track vocals at a real studio after I get it all figured out at home. If possible, I'd like to be able to use the stuff I record at home for backing tracks - sometimes it's really hard to duplicate something you do off the cuff, especially with BG vocals. I'm running through an Edirol UA-25, which is 24/96. It sounds OK.

Maybe I'll put off this mic purchase for a while and do some more research. Thanks for the list. I've been talking to a guy who has a studio in Vernon, and I'll ask him if he has anything on the list. He suggested using a ribbon mic...what do you think about that? I thought they couldn't really take much SPL.

Cheers!
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Head

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention one thing: I use two types of chest voice - one that's really breathy and one that is a bit more closed and a LOT louder. I've tried mikes that are really nice and glittery for the breathy voice, but when I increase the volume I have to step back a bit and it sounds..flat. Yes, even using a compressor. I need something that can take a lot of volume.
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

You should try AEA R84.
Ribbon, but with some caution, it will handle the power, and blossom nicely
when pushed.

ruudman
Old 5th August 2005
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruudman
You should try AEA R84.
Ribbon, but with some caution, it will handle the power, and blossom nicely
when pushed.

ruudman
True, might be good for his lead vocal stuff but for stacking tons of Queen-like background stuff he may want to try a somewhat "smaller" sounding mic. The R84 sounds BIG and I don't know how tons of stacked tracks would work with that mic in particular. Hell a little EQ and who knows!

The Beyer M160 can make a damn good vocal mic too.

War

Back on topic:

We want the Cage Match!!!!!

I'll bring the folding chairs...
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Head

Thanks for the suggestions guys, that's awesome. But Warhead is right...on topic, on topic. Feel free to PM me though.
Old 17th August 2005
Here for the gear

blue statements

Hello,

It is bad practice to publish statements without signing them.
What does it mean "we at Blue Microphones" ?
Who are "we" and who are "Blue Microphones", I do not know such company...

There is US, CA located company "Baltic Latvian Universal Electronics", LLC.
Latvian company "Scruples" Ltd. was never hired for manufacturing by "Baltic Latvian Universal Electronics".
Beginning from 1998 "Scruples" offered, then manufactured and sold "Scruples" originally designed products to "Baltic Latvian Universal Electronics".
There were 6 (six) "Scruples" originally designed microphone models, plus microphone submodels, plus accesories (including capsules, capsule heads, audio transformers and some other parts for the Bottle microphone), plus a number of parts for restoration and vintage microphones.
In 1998-2004 "Baltic Latvian Universal Electronics" was distributing and selling them worldwide from their US office.
Our cooperation was cancelled in October 2004, because several last years:
- it was impossible to sign manufacturing-sales contracts with "Baltic Latvian Universal Electronics",
- we stated illegal production and sales copied from our Baby Bottle design Blubird microphones,
- we stated illegally registered US patent on our Baby Bottle microphone design,
- we had problems with receiving payments in time,
- payment question was used by "Baltic Latvian Universal Electronics" as pressure instrument on "Scruples".

After cancelling of our cooperation problem become to the new level now:
- "Baltic Latvian Universal Electronics" is producing and selling a number of counterfeited imitations of our originally designed microphone models,
- "Baltic Latvian Universal Electronics" is systematically worldwide attacking our patents, designs, trademarks, business partners, marketing, eBay sales, discussion boards, etc.

There are two concrete owners of "Baltic Latvian Universal Electronics" - Mr. Bernard Wise and Mr. Martins Saulespurens.
Any statement, etc. published information not signed or accepted by them looks like nothing, but it damages our business.
I understand why there is zero information directly from them...

JZ
@ Scruples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Visitor
We at Blue Microphones would like to make a statement regarding the ongoing speculation over the original design of Blue’s product line and Blue’s current business dealings. We have not commented on these subjects until now simply because our legal advisors have specifically recommended that we not participate in the rumor mill. However, we now believe that the amount of time and misguided speculation that has been invested on these subjects by forum visitors requires a response.

This statement is intended to set the record straight and will be the one and only comment offered by Blue Microphones. Skipper Wise, Martins Saulespurens, and all of the dedicated and hard-working people at Blue sincerely appreciate those who have supported us throughout the years and those who will continue to support Blue Microphones in the future.

First, the design issue:

At the onset of Blue’s incorporation, we hired a Latvian medical manufacturer called Scruples to manufacture certain metals parts and perform the final assembly of certain microphones. Scruples, which is owned in part by Juris Zarins, signed a non-compete agreement with Blue and used their manufacturing expertise to construct our product.

As the Blue line caught on, our relationship with Mr. Zarins became strained as he fought for a bigger piece of the pie. Mr. Zarins began attempting to leverage our manufacturing relationship with Scruples to assert claims to our products. Mr. Zarins attempted to circumvent Blue by creating a company called ParaBlue that would sell Blue products directly to customers. In conjunction with these activities, Scruples became less and less interested in cooperating with Blue’s efforts to manage production flow and quality control. Since Scruples would not continue to meet our needs, we found new manufacturers – right here in America – who could.

After Blue terminated all business relations with Scruples in October of 2004, Scruples violated our non-compete agreement by supplying microphones to a new company of Mr. Zarins,’ Violet Designs, whose trademark infringes on Blue's trademark. Mr. Zarins began creating unauthorized duplications of our products under the name JZ Equipment, which was in clear violation of both our intellectual property rights and the non-compete agreement. Mr. Zarins has also made a deceptive attempt to register Blue’s microphone designs with the European Union.

So, did Scruples make choices in what techniques and technologies should be used to manufacture Blue’s products? Of course, that’s what they were hired and paid to do. Did Scruples or Mr. Zarins somehow establish a vision and actually design the Blue product line? Absolutely not, which is why we’ve already begun legal action in the European Union, Latvia, and soon in the U.S.

Some other matters of interest:

As stated above, Blue has moved the manufacturing operations for most of its core product line to the United States – specifically Southern California, where we are headquartered – and whatever is not made here is made in Latvia. None of our microphones are made in China. We do, however, source some of our non-critical parts, such as shock-mounts and cables, from Chinese manufacturers. This enables us to cost-effectively increase the value of our product line by including free shock-mounts with each of our mics.

Make no mistake, it was a huge challenge to move manufacturing to facilities that would allow us to maintain the same quality craftsmanship recordists have come to expect from Blue over the last decade. After an intense search and a couple false starts, we settled on hiring a milling company from the U.S. military contracting world, a finishing company from the aerospace industry, and an assembly house skilled in hi-fidelity audio...all located close to home in California, all highly capable of meeting our ultra-high
standards.

Keep in mind that all our ball-shaped microphones are still made in Latvia. Our circuit boards are also still made in Latvia. Our capsule assembly and tuning is still done in Latvia, and our Bottle mic is still made entirely in Latvia. All these aspects of Blue production, as well as most of our research and development, are still managed by Martins Saulespurens in Latvia. Most importantly, all our products are still Blue's unique designs.

Finally, Juris Zarins and Scruples had nothing to do with Blue’s restoration service. Our restoration service particularly inhibited the production output of our Bottle microphone; we therefore discontinued the service in order to fully concentrate on the Bottle and other Blue products. We can only guess that JZ Equipment says they offer restoration services because that’s what Blue had done.

We hope this information has proven helpful, and would like to thank you all very much for your interest in what the future holds for Blue Microphones. For our part, we are very proud to have served this industry for ten years now, and can’t wait to bring even better solutions to the recording industry for another ten years – and beyond!
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

With respect to all involved in this matter:

This dogfight can not be held in the forums;
like in proper bars they tell you to go outside.

Go outside.

ruudman
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

I like Violet better than Blue.
My experiences with the personnel from Blue have, for the most part, been oily.
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

i won't go into details but my experiences with the gran pear,dolly AND the fingers
have been very favourable

thumbsup
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

How can JZ claim any design patents on the Baby Bottle, Mouse, Cactus and Kiwi and patent infringements on the Bluebird and Red when the design is so clearly derived from the BLUE Bottle which JZ had no part in designing ? And they're all derived from the CMV, can there really be a patent infringement ?

Sorry JZ, you're just trolling at this point.
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmix
How can JZ claim any design patents on the Baby Bottle, Mouse, Cactus and Kiwi and patent infringements on the Bluebird and Red when the design is so clearly derived from the BLUE Bottle which JZ had no part in designing ? And they're all derived from the CMV, can there really be a patent infringement ?

Sorry JZ, you're just trolling at this point.

Actually the "bottle" design isn't blue's... it was around long before blue existed.

I don't give a **** which company designed those mics. JZ is acting like a fool who wants to destroy his own company...

I'm not buying any shade of colour for a long time.
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy!!
Actually the "bottle" design isn't blue's... it was around long before blue existed.
Actually, robmix did say that too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy!!
I don't give a **** which company designed those mics. JZ is acting like a fool who wants to destroy his own company...

I couldn't agree more! My personal opinion is that they should both just shut up and make mics. Let the market decide. I have no desire to *ever* buy anything from Violet or JZ just because of his actions.

I have a Blue Bottle, and love it. Period. That is how it should be.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search