The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Violet v. BLUE the solution.....
Old 9th December 2004
Lives for gear

yes, I have requested and gotten a pricelist. don´t thrash ´em before you know ´em!
Old 9th December 2004
There's a thread about this in the New Product forum.

I went to the Blue Mic forum and asked them to comment on the situation. My post there noted that someone on the Violet forums was intimating both that they had worked with Blue in the past and currently employed the "brains" behind most of Blue's microphones. Someone logged in as "Guest" on the Blue forum posted the following message. Make of it what you will:

As is common in our industry, when you do something well, everyone wants a piece of it. The microphone marketplace has been flooded with look-alike products that promise equal performance for less and never really deliver. As manufacturers, we believe that consumers will be “once bitten, twice shy.” This is one of our primary motivations for designing uniquely styled and superior performing products. Furthermore, we would strongly caution buyers from buying products of dubious design and origin.

We are aware of the activities of Violet Design. They are indeed offering knock-off products in violation of our trademark, trade dress and intellectual property rights. Our legal department is handling the situation.

Rest assured, Martins Saulespurens, Skipper Wise, and all of the key staff responsible for the development of Blue microphones throughout the years remain dedicated to Blue. All of the hard working people at Blue greatly appreciated the wonderful support we’ve received from consumers, critics, and dealers, and will continue to bring you new, exciting and innovative products.

Sincerely,

Blue Management
Old 9th December 2004
Lives for gear

here is a question I sent to violet about two weeks ago & their answer:

"> Are you the ones who make the capsules for the BLUE microphones?

We made them for all basic models, except Ball, 8-Ball, Bluebird."

so either violet is lying or BLUE is not happy about their capsule-makers to manufacture full microphones and therefore becoming competition. besides, look at blue´s board-comment, they do not say anywhere that their capsules do not come from the same people that run violet. If violet was lying, why should blue not speak out loud that they are !? yes, the product design looks like a knock off of blue and this is a not so wonderful move. but i actually wonder where blue will get the capsules for their mics from in case violet stops selling them to blue...

really not taking sides here, let´s just wait and see who speaks the truth...
Old 9th December 2004
Lives for gear

Strange: They have a product range, pricelist and sales people. Quite impressive for a "scam"? There does seem to be some legacy problems with another manufacturer, but apparently this does not affect business. One to watch.
Old 9th December 2004
500 series nutjob

sent a email to a acquaintance at blue last knight, i will his replay if any.
just because they made the capsule blue uses dose not mean it will sound like a blue.
Old 9th December 2004
Lives for gear

well normally the capsule makes about 90% of the sound and the electronics do the rest. but it does not even matter if the mics sound like blue. to me the question is wether one can call them thieves or not.
I don´t want to take sides for violet cause I simply do not have enough information, but I do not see a reason for premature bashing either. If it is true that they did the capsules for blue, then bashing them for making their own mics is simply stupid. I see reason however to bash them for copying very specific designs like the dragonfly&shockmount (they call it the pearl). the other models however look different enough as not to be called copies. no more than any other mic out there is a copy of a u87, c12 or sm58.

rock on!
Pat
Old 9th December 2004
Lives for gear

This is the part of the thread where the Violet representitive is supposed to show up and defend his product.

We also need the guy who`s tried one and defends it to the death by saying "Hey ! Unless you`ve tried one you got nothing to say !"

Where they at ?

Didn`t anybody notify them ???

This thread`s doomed without those key elements ! heh
Old 9th December 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by kevinc
This is the part of the thread where the Violet representitive is supposed to show up and defend his product.
They seem to post occasionally and anonymously in response to some of the questions raised on their own forum. There is definitely a funny smell to all this.

-dave
Old 9th December 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by WildCowboys
well normally the capsule makes about 90% of the sound and the electronics do the rest.
Really ? So if you take a capsule from a LD tube mic and stick it in the guts of a FET mic you`ve got 90% the same sound as the tube mic ?

Sounds a little screwy to me but feel free to kick my ass if that`s the general truth.

I could see why Blue would be annoyed if that`s the case.
Old 9th December 2004
Lives for gear

Hmmm, 90%, huh?

And all these years I thought it was 89%! You learn something new everyday!
Old 9th December 2004
Lives for gear

I do have to say I'm not for certain how I feel about this. If they do supply the Blue capsules, I have to say that they have their own right to make their own mics. I know if I made quality capsules and some company was profiting heavily, I'd jump in too.

My main bitch is how they all look like Blue's product. That's what gives me pause. I think it's pretty crap tastic to do that. Of course, how many companies have tried cashing in on the Neumann-esque LD look?

This is new territory. This isn't Behringer reverse engineering. This isn't Marshall mics trying to "look" like a Neumann. This is a new one!

This will be a screaming-bitch (to qoute a law professor) of a fight in court, as there's no American distro for this product. Even though TM's and SM's are internationally recognized, enforcement is a whole 'nother deal. See: China.

Remember that you could still buy the Behringer Mackie clone in the rest of the world after the lawsuit!
Old 9th December 2004
500 series nutjob

i just got a email from my connection in blue. i cannot repeat the email as i was ask not to, ( and i am sure he would know if i did ) but i will say this, blue will be posting some info on there web any time. so i am off to check their web.

P.S.
only 90% hmmm!
well maybe i should sell the good stuff, get some cheap stuff, and add some 200.00 capsules!
Old 10th December 2004
Lives for gear

While I truly think this is a hoax, remember that these mics were made long before BLUE came around....

.... not to mention the Neumann lollipop....(wait, I just mentioned it...)
Old 10th December 2004
Gear Head

What you just posted would buy a nice used Lexus convertable.
Old 10th December 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Level
What you just posted would buy a nice used Lexus convertable.
Yep, and I would rather have the mics! Oh man, break out the straight jacket for me.
Old 10th December 2004
500 series nutjob

can i have one
i will be good i promise
Old 10th December 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
they will send you a pricelist if you request one. it´s no joke.
Just because they will send you a pricelist doesn't necessarily mean it's "no joke". My point was that anyone can make up a pricelist and send it out....that doesn't prove anything. I'd be interested in hearing if anyones ever seen one of these microphones in person (let alone used one).

-Duardo
Old 10th December 2004
Lives for gear

No joke here . I just contacted the french distributor ( a trustworthy guy) and I'll soon be trying a couple of those mikes (the globe and the amethyst) . No **** brigade involved he's got the mikes and say they're great .

Volodia
Old 10th December 2004
Gear Head

Focusrite own part of BLUE and insisted they manufacture in China. The main man behind BLUE was obviously unhappy with this and started up another company VIOLET. There are legal wranglings. At least this is what I heard. Sounds like another case of a big corporation destroying local manufacture (and consequently jobs) to maximise profits. Fair enough I suppose. Viva Riga!
Old 18th December 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Volodia
No joke here . I just contacted the french distributor ( a trustworthy guy) and I'll soon be trying a couple of those mikes (the globe and the amethyst) . No **** brigade involved he's got the mikes and say they're great .

Volodia
And the verdict is. . . ?
Old 18th December 2004
Lives for gear

i was thinking the same thing..........
Old 19th December 2004
Lives for gear

I´ve got the Dolly in the shop where I work, I supposed to try it for the swedish distributor but I haven´t had the time yet.
Old 19th December 2004
500 series nutjob

oh please

Quote:
I´ve got the Dolly in the shop where I work, I supposed to try it for the swedish distributor but I haven´t had the time yet.
Old 19th December 2004
Lives for gear

Maybe I've seen too many X-Files, but this is beginning to smell like. . . . BULL$HIT. Please proove me wrong. Someone. Please. I would love to hear that there's a better deal on the blue capsules, but. . . Ahem. Make a believer out of me.

Post some MP3's. (I know that thats not a super legit way of doing this) Maybe some known reviewers (british or american, sorry, I'm not familiar with their french one.) Get some in some larger engineers hands. Get an endorsement, do some print advertising. Maybe they're doing all of this. So far they haven't. If talk is cheap, the web is damn near free.

My reason for disbelief is this: Their website forum is super bogus feeling. If they were serious about their craft, they'd at least respond with something more legitimate then they have. I'm not ready to completely-totally call BS, but I'm on that side of the fence. This is a public relations fiasco so far.

The only reasonable things that I can think of for this lack of transparency is: 1) they're new to public retail (despite roots in manufacturing) and have yet to implement distribution, press, etc or 2) They're in some serious legal wrangling and haven't figured out to what to do.

Anyone else have insight on this? I think maybe I'm jumping the gun a little. It might also be the bottle of wine speaking.
Old 19th December 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by philip
Dolly's better have some big ass titties.

Old 19th December 2004
Lives for gear

Hi,

I finally received "the globe" and "the amethyst vintage"(there are 2 versions ) on friday afternoon.

Presentation and built quality is great . I just did a quick run while I was doing some songwriting and the first impression is good in my cans . I usually demo with the AT4033 and this is much better .

I need to compare it to my U47 for the mids (they evoque that kind of comparisons) . Not to sure there is enough mid presence for my taste . My voice usually likes the U49 or the M49 depending on the songs .
The amethyst , although named "vintage" seems brighter so the regular version must be quite bright .

Although I'm french I have great mikes in my collection (U47, C12 modded by SP Audio,M49, C800G) and I've been an engineer for 18 years . I'm no reviewer, just a user who want to ad some solid state mikes to his collection .
I'll try them tomorrow again .

Volodia
Old 19th December 2004
Gear Maniac

Talking re-engineered to blue

Quote:
Originally posted by StefanColson
Browsing the Violet website, I see a dead ringer for the baby bottle and dragonfly, and what are close enough that I'd believe they were photoshopped copies of the mouse and blueberry.
you think like this?
Old 19th December 2004
Gear Maniac

i think i´d like to check out the dolly most cause it has this tip at 3k. perhaps it sounds similar to my U67?
Old 19th December 2004
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by chadly
My reason for disbelief is this: Their website forum is super bogus feeling. If they were serious about their craft, they'd at least respond with something more legitimate then they have. I'm not ready to completely-totally call BS, but I'm on that side of the fence. This is a public relations fiasco so far.
you mean like the site of beloved api?
Old 19th December 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by chadly
Maybe I've seen too many X-Files, but this is beginning to smell like. . . . BULL$HIT.
No BS at All, Mr.!

they have been adverstising in "Resolution" (UK) magazine for more than half a year. I think they are just new to selling.

Capitalism and "retail" aren't exactly the strong suits of "Eastern" manufacturers.

It's clear that you don't understand the ex communist mind.

I'm wanting to order a "Flamingo" with the "ear" capsule.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search