The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Violet v. BLUE the solution.....
Old 3rd November 2005
Lives for gear

The thread title is misleading. I don't think that Violet is under attack as much is BLUE is just defending itself after months of onesided attacks. It looks like BLUE has covered all the bases. . . . ..
Old 3rd November 2005
Lives for gear

Bravo for Blue. As someone who has worked hard to create a product and tried to play fair in the marketplace, I know how they feel. It's ugly when someone tries to copy your moves and then starts badmouthing you.

It's hard to imagine the result being anything else, but I'm glad that the exceedingly slow wheels of justice are finally grinding away.
Old 3rd November 2005
Lives for gear

i haven't been keeping up w/ the blue vs. violet thing, but early on wasn't there some confusion on who copied who? is it now established what happened?

if so --- what happened?
Old 3rd November 2005
Here for the gear

Hello !
Old 3rd November 2005
Here for the gear

www.violet-design.ee

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Dear pro audio people,
Please wait some days

JZ
Old 3rd November 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZ Recording

Wow, that really is a shameless and detestable rip-off of the B.L.U.E. design concept. It's like a bad parody. That "black knight" **** is pretty funny though. And the animated GIF is hilarious.

MAD Magazine does Microphones.

Jeebus.

~S
Old 3rd November 2005
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun
MAD Magazine does Microphones.

Jeebus.

~S
Alfred E. Neuman is endorsed by Violet. He probably uses "the finger". Jeebus for sure.
Old 3rd November 2005
This is a funny issue for me.

When will API and Neve start sueing all the knock-offs?

Not sure I agree with this.
The Music industry has been ripping itself off for years.
Not sure either of these companies were the inventors of ANYTHING they sell.

Nor was Neve, API, and so on...........

We are all crooks in some fashion.

D
Old 3rd November 2005
Lowdbrent
For those who are just getting in on this, JZ designed and manufactured some of the Blue mics and parts. Blue says that they own the rights to the designs. JZ says they do. So it isn't like JZ/Violet started manufacturing clones. They were making products and parts before Blue.

Since there is a mysticism surrounding Blue's country of orign, the big question for some now is, "are Blues really Baltic mics now, or are they Chinese," and what does that do for quality, consistancy and long term value.
Old 3rd November 2005
Here for the gear

What the stress, I said - wait !
Old 3rd November 2005
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Herbert
Ooh, that makes me see red! There is a lot of competition in this industry and some people are green with envy! Secretly I suspect the root cause is scurvy, which could be solved by eating an orange. Don't mistake my purple prose, normally I wouldn't lift a pinky! David
This is not a black and white issue. And you shouldn't brown nose the folks at Violet by engaging is yellow journalism. tutt
Old 3rd November 2005
Lowdbrent
I am green with envy over your last statement.
Old 3rd November 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowdbrent
Since there is a mysticism surrounding Blue's country of orign, the big question for some now is, "are Blues really Baltic mics now, or are they Chinese," and what does that do for quality, consistancy and long term value.
While I've tried to stay impartial to either side until this whole debacle is settled once and for all. I recently had the chance to physically compare an older Blueberry and a current production Blueberry side by side.

IMO the newer Blueberry's seem like they are being made more to a price point then the older line. I can't speak for how the mics compared sound wise as I didn't have a chance to compare, but physically there were difference's.

The Head grills were not made of the same material, similiar, but not the same. The newer Blueberry's logo has changed from a brass badge to some sort of chrome. The integreted stand mount and XLR output are now made of one cast piece as opposed to being two seperate pieces. The name is also no longer engraved in the casing below the head grill. I also felt that the older Blueberry was better balanced (weight wise)

Basically there were a number of small changes which may or may not mean a thing.

So what the hell does any of this mean... You got me?!?!?

Has anyone actually compared the sound of the newer Blue mics to the originals?

Does anyone really care? Or has this turned into a moral/ethics issue of Blue vs JZ
Old 3rd November 2005
Art
Gear Addict

Well of course this has a moral component to it, because microphones are a very personal issue, they are like members of the family. I have felt all along that JZ is full of ****e, kind of like that Iraqi Guy that was always on TV claiming that Iraq was winning while everything around him was blowing up into pieces. You have to follow some simple logic, if JZ is right than why is it that Ebay removes his listings immediately? How come his bank account is frozen? How come his web sites were shut down by the court?
This is a gentleman who blatently spread lies on user forums, how could anyone condone his antics?

Art
Old 3rd November 2005
Lives for gear

I think I would rather have a Violet mic at this point. I hope they come out ok on this one. I'm probably in the minority on this but I'm used to that. heh
Old 3rd November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labs
Innocent till proven guilty? Lets sit tight till the lawyers has figured this one out.
I haven't looked into this at all, and I have no opinion whatsover on who is "right." BUT, I know who's gonna have the better lawyers, hands down (whoever's got the GC distro). And if money buys justice here in Southern California, I can only imagine what it's like in the Baltic.
Old 3rd November 2005
Gear Maniac

I agree with pretty much everything you've said, but there's also been so much he said, they said, we said, going on that it's hard to believe that either side is giving us the whole story.

I can't and don't condone the stealing of anyone's trade design, personal or intellectual property and I really hope that once all the dust has settled that whomever is the true owner of the designs will come out on top.

I was simply pointing out that "perhaps" there could be some credibility to what JZ has said.

Blue has publicly stated that nothing has changed with regard to how the mics are being made, yet there are differences physically (atleast with the Blueberry)

So has anyone actually compared the newer Blue mics to the older?
Old 3rd November 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowdbrent
For those who are just getting in on this, JZ designed and manufactured some of the Blue mics and parts. Blue says that they own the rights to the designs. JZ says they do. So it isn't like JZ/Violet started manufacturing clones. They were making products and parts before Blue.

Ok, so if JZ (before becoming a rapper) came up with all the cool ideas the BLUE now sells, yay. Big ****in deal. Let's say this happened to me, seems to me there's two ways to handle it.

1) Get pissed and start my own company and do everything exactly the same, but different. Instead of BLUE I'll call myself a DIFFERENT color...say, VIOLET. Instead of the "Baby Bottle" mic, perhaps I'll call it...JUNIOR! That way everybody will be confused, and, having hit the public concious second, I'll appear to be a wannabe.

or

2) Take my lumps, learn a lesson and realize that if it was me that came up with the ideas, then all the other guys are running on is a limited supply of cool. So, I start a whole new company (taking into account lessons learned) and continue to develop IDEAS but differentiate myself from the old guys as much as I can and trust the fact that I can come up with good IDEAS to carry me.

Option (1) is for goobers, IMHO.

~S
Old 3rd November 2005
burden of proof

Someone above referred to "guilty until proven innocent." Since this is a civil case, the burden of proof is the "preponderance of the evidence." We, and the jurors aren't going out on a limb by merely weighing the evidence. On the other hand, what makes or breaks these cases are "devil in the details" items that aren't obvious until you've seen all the evidence. For example, engineer A has some dated drawings from prior to such and such date, etc.

Regards,
Juanathan
Old 3rd November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 Sound
Blue has publicly stated that nothing has changed with regard to how the mics are being made, yet there are differences physically (atleast with the Blueberry)
That's not entirely true. BLUE has stated that they moved manufacturing for some of their mics to southern California and the rest are still made in the Baltics. There are some minor parts made in China, I think it was pieces for the shockmount and some cable parts. All the actual microphones are made in either the USA or at the original plants in Europe.
Old 3rd November 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmix
That's not entirely true. BLUE has stated that they moved manufacturing for some of their mics to southern California and the rest are still made in the Baltics. There are some minor parts made in China, I think it was pieces for the shockmount and some cable parts. All the actual microphones are made in either the USA or at the original plants in Europe.
That may very well be true and I'm not taking sides with either JZ or Blue here.

But...

Shockmounts and cable parts are one thing.

The type of material used for the head grill of a mic is something all together different. We all know that something like this can make a huge difference in the way a mic sounds.

Old 3rd November 2005
Lowdbrent
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmix
All the actual microphones are made in either the USA or at the original plants in Europe.
How can you say that? JZ is dude at the original plant.
Old 3rd November 2005
What would be amusing...

Twould be amusing if after all the puffing and huffing that has gone on concerning this topic that it turns out JZ was right and Blue has to go home without their marbles. Not saying its likely. When the court freezes your bank account, it's not a good sign. Mr. JZ seems to have aquired quite an anti-fan club. He needs to take the "how not to come off an ass" class. But, it would be funny that the reason he's so wound up is he's telling the truth.

Regards,
Juanathan
Old 3rd November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanathan
When the court freezes your bank account, it's not a good sign.
as said before, that may be more a symptom of money and lawyers than a real legal judgement.
Old 3rd November 2005
HNTCOAA Class

I didn't mention? I teach a home-study version the class. Study how not to come off an ass in the privacy of your own home. Western Union me $50 and I'll send you the course manual. And though you may see the same course offerred elsewhere, remember, I came up with it first, bucko.

Regards,
Juanathan
Old 3rd November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
When will API and Neve start sueing all the knock-offs?
Not the same thing at all. This would be like if API hired Flipper's Fabrication Factory to build their products, then years later decided to take care of manufacturing themselves. Then Flipper's Fabrication Factory started a new company called AFI, manufacturing the same products, and claimed that they were the ones who had designed them and that API was ripping them off, citing doucments they'd filed a year ago (although they'd been manufacturing the products for years) as proof. Not saying that it couldn't be a valid point, but it looks pretty shady.

Quote:
They were not making the products and parts before Blue, and it's not necessarily true that JZ designed the mics and parts...just that they manufactured them.

Quote:
There's no "mysticism"...Blue's owners still live in Latvia and California as they always have, but they've moved most of their manufacturing to California.

-Duardo
Old 4th November 2005
Lives for gear

Well it's obvious that both parties have fallen out in a BIG way prior to all this.

Now they are in 'kill' mode at each others throats. First, JZ started Violet microphones, and then started saying alligations against Blue. Blue got angry, then went quiet, and have now bit*h-slapped JZ with a frozen bank account and removal of domains. Blue are looking on the up on this one, but who knows?!?

The main thing is, the lawers will get all the money, and at least one of the companies will end up bankrupt and closed.

Old 4th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
1. They WERE making mics before Blue.
How do you know that? I don't recall ever hearing of them. From what I've heard they were innvolved in the manufacture of medical equipment.

Quote:
2. Here is a quote from the European Violet site:
I think Blue's statement is a little more credible than Violet's.

-Duardo
Old 4th November 2005
Art
Gear Addict

That JZ is plain silly, He just does not have a problem making stuff up. U.S. courts don't just freeze a bank account and shut down sites for no reason, there must be a real obvious infringement of the law by JZ. Latvian courts please, isn't it nice that this seemed to happen right after Blue's statement was announced, just keep making stuff up Mr. JZ, some people are bound to believe you. Oh yeah, I read on the JZ website that it was actually Bernard Wise of BLUE that shot JFK.
Old 4th November 2005
Art
Gear Addict

[QUOTE=Duardo]How do you know that? I don't recall ever hearing of them. From what I've heard they were innvolved in the manufacture of medical equipment.

This is true, they were also in the business of selling 1 cent software on ebay and ripping people off on shipping, check out their feedback.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search