The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Should Sly Gear Pimps be allowed to post their opinions on public forums?
Old 28th July 2005
Here for the gear

Should Sly Gear Pimps be allowed to post their opinions on Public Topic Forums or should they have they're own section in the forums for access only if the reader requires the opinions of these Sly Gear Pimps.

I think a sly gear pimp should only post an opinion on actual gear they own and not sell because the credibility of some of these opinions has a double sided edge to it's posts. They have more to gain by first protecting the gear they sell and gaining income in their pocket. As well as asskissing manufaturers and other dealers for their own gain.

True users have less to gain besides maybe getting brownie points and better prices with dealers or manufacturers for promoting or asskissing the item, but things like that can not be stopped. But the issue of manufacturers or dealers here who posts who hold strong opinions about their own product or range who try to damage other True users personal opinions to protect their gear prevents consumers from getting the best gear for their own purpose.

A novice buyer buying hiend gear cannot afford to make poor decisions when purchasing expensive gear. If they wanted to hear the sly words of a sly gear pimp, then they would probably go to the store themselves or ring the manufacturer like Mytek themselves. Instead they go to forums to gain true users personal opinions about hiend equipment, not to read some sly gear pimp posting their sales pitch disguised in a post or reply. But it seems some forums are swamped with sly gear pimps. Don't you think Nathan?

What do you think?
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by baman
What do you think?

You have a maxed-out GC credit card at 16% APR?
Old 28th July 2005
Interesting thread, I am interested, dont think I am dissing it by putting it in this forum...

Old 28th July 2005
Gear Addict

As long as they're upfront about being a dealer, I've got no problem with it. And if someone only shows up to pimp a certain product and sounds like a Sweetwater catalogue while doing it, it's usually pretty obvious. (In those cases, the ignore file is your friend.)

The more knowledgeable pimps are, to me, some of the more interesting posters here. Biases aside--and we've all got them to some degree--they at least tend to know something about the product.

I wouldn't take anything anyone says on the Internet too seriously when deciding to buy something. Besides, if you're dealing with someone reputable, you can return it if you don't like it.

(And no, I'm not a dealer.)
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

people trying to manipulate opinions are definitly a problem. also at gearslutz. making a separate place for pimps would be sad because: these people have knowledge about a lot of gear, in particular old gear. if someone starts a thread in the regular forum about interesting piece of equipment, i am interested in everybodys opinion, and i want them to have the possability to post that. yes sometimes they want to bring you away from that saying: "oh this old thing x is crap, better buy this new y". or they permanently pushing gear they have in stock, but if you are attentive and read gearslutz regulary you can see through this.

every pimp should know where the borderline is to not loose his credibility...and in case he dont know, he should be kicked out like this "bombguy" some time ago who was thinking he could piss incessantly on competitors.
Old 28th July 2005
More cowbell!

I dont know that I would call most of them exactly "sly."

LOL!

GS has a self-Policing ability that is fairly brutal, and I have seen some pretty harsh interrogations of manufacturers by once and future buyers.

The manufacturers and pimps who step up to the criticism without being a-holes and make unhappy customers happy, get noticed over time.

As far as vulnerable noobs, well, shrug---If they can't read thoroughly and long before opening their mouth or wallet, then their own lack of personal responsibility is what leads to problems, not manufacturers and retailers.
Old 28th July 2005
Dot
Lives for gear

I only started with Sound Pure in December of '04. I've been making gear recommendations online for years. I decided to take the gig because it was all work I'd been doing anyway. I work on my own time out of my own studio, and pop by down the street to the Sound Pure offices on occasion for meetings or to grab some gear to test.

I actually started posting online and writing reviews and articles because as an engineer I'd stopped working at commerical studios and wanted a way to pass on what I knew to others - and to continue to learn.

Working with The Listening Sessions I've used nearly 100 preamps and over 200 mics. I recommend the best tool for the job – whether Sound Pure carries it or not. I also don't have to defend a purchase. Often you'll get someone who owns a certain product posting about it all over the place, because it's the only thing they've used. And also because they feel the need to justify all the bread they spent.

Here's from a recent topic from some customers of mine at
http://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=163282

[ I also recommended to BRIEFCASEMANX - the topic starter - that he pick up a D112: a product Sound Pure doesn't carry. I regularly recommend the D112 and 414's but don't like the overall AKG line enough to want to carry it and get behind it. ]

Quote:
Scooter B: I second the recomendation for Dan/Dot at Soundpure. Exceptionally helpful, very novice friendly but experienced enough with using all the top shelf stuff as well to be validated.

Honest as heck too if he thinks your money would be better spent on something he does not sell he would not hesitate to recomend it and pass on the commission.
I've just spent the last couple of months using over 30 tube mics and over 10 ribbon mics - and we're continuing with more. I think there's a place on gear forums for anyone who's used a lot of gear. If I was looking for some gear – I'd at least want to check out what Dot had to say. I've used more gear than most people in the industry. Some people seem to think that's a good thing when considering my recommendations. Maybe you don't. I'll live.

I also don't recommend according to margin. John Hardy preamps have **** margins compared to a lot of other gear Sound Pure carries, but I also happen to think [ from experience ] that Hardy pres are the best you can get for close-miked acoustic-based music. I sell Hardy pres left and right. I actually brought Hardy onboard as a line when I joined on with Sound Pure.

I do agree that Gear Slutz especially has become swamped with pimps, and because of that I've backed off on posting here. I do think it's a disservice when a salesperson just posts in a thread because they have something to sell or to get their sig on just one more post. I think there's some pimps online who give excellent insights, and good recommendations for the right reasons. I also think there's others who couldn't engineer their way out of a paper bag, and I find anything they have to say virtually meanless and only adding to the din. I think you might also want to scrutinize each "pimp" on their own merits, rather than making blanket assumptions.
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

I would not take anyone 100% seriously unless it was Mr. Wagener or someone of his caliber that I can pop a cd in and say wow, that sounds great he probably knows what he is doing.

Having said that, you need to look at the big picture not individual posts..

If 50 out of 53 people think the great river pre is a great pre then it probably is.
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

I must say whether he`s a pimp or not I`ve learned quite a lot over the years from Fletcher and it has nothing to do with which mic or preamp to buy. (he usually tells you to try the damn thing for yourself anyways and see what you think. Not much of a shady sales tactic ay ?)

If you get away from the stupid "tell me which preamp I should buy" threads and get into the recording technique threads a lot of these guys (Nathan included as well) have quite a bit of usefull recording tidbits and information.

Just because they`re selling gear doesn`t mean that they don`t have anything usefull to add in these forums and most of the pimps around here seem to have put some serious time in as fulltime recording engineers.

In other words I`ve learned quite a bit from so called gear pimps but I don`t think I`ve learned anything from you yet Baman.....
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

A free society dictates we learn how to deal with these little wrinkles.
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screws
A free society dictates...

d'oh!

gregoire
del ubik
Old 28th July 2005
Here for the gear

kevinc, your opnions seems to be one directional.

I mean dots response is more realistic than yours with his admission that there are bad gear pimps here, I can definitely respect his answer in regards to this topic. Id believe the opinions of one person whos willing to show both sides of the coin and tell the truth than post a one sided ass kissing post like yours have been.

Kevinc, you seem to love dropping the bignames here or backing up the bignames to give your posts or your name some authority. The only lessons you can learn, is to stand on your own two feet like this squirrel here dfegad
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Jose Mrochek
Quote:
I would not take anyone 100% seriously unless it was Mr. Wagener or someone of his caliber that I can pop a cd in and say wow, that sounds great he probably knows what he is doing.

Having said that, you need to look at the big picture not individual posts..

If 50 out of 53 people think the great river pre is a great pre then it probably is.

I agree completely with Jose on both these points - I think its very good advice to be careful who you take advice from!
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

A guy at the forum recommended I purchase a set of these. He also told me that one of these would come in handy as well.

Do these items sound any good? Will they help me obtain the warm sound of '60s valve saturation?

Justin
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

I think the sneaky snakes in the grass style of gear pimps slither in, are smoked out in a hurry, and disappear just as fast....the others seem to have an established record of credibility, regardless of their product lines.

So I say let em stay....no, I may be pushing it, but I almost demand they stay and contribute what they know about their products, and the stories behind them.

Yes, there are gear salespeople who I trust without nary a blink of an eye...and if one takes the time to ask, most will respond with often brutally honest answers that may cost them a sale at that moment...

Just my opinion.
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:

I mean dots response is more realistic than yours with his admission that there are bad gear pimps here, I can definitely respect his answer in regards to this topic. Id believe the opinions of one person whos willing to show both sides of the coin and tell the truth than post a one sided ass kissing post like yours have been.

Kevinc, you seem to love dropping the bignames here or backing up the bignames to give your posts or your name some authority. The only lessons you can learn, is to stand on your own two feet like this squirrel here dfegad

Baman I own and run 2 seperate companies more or less on my own.

Believe me. I`m my own man and I could give a **** about kissing anybodys ass especially on an annonymous audio forum. What exactly do I have to gain from kissing Flectcher or Nathan or Dots ass ? Are they gonna give me a big discount from a plug on a forum ?

I just give credit where it`s due and I honestly have learned quite a bit from this forum as a whole and the guys your calling Pimps are some of the main contributers. I find them way less offensive than you do for some reason and judging by the amount of posts you have I`ve dealt with them a lot longer than you have.

How old are you anyway ?

I got over this quasi "stick it to the man" punk kid bull**** when I was 20 yrs old.
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

baman,

What's with the 'tude, bro? Should newbies-with-only-22-posts-looking-to-pick-a-fight-and-so-make-a-name-for-themselves be allowed to post on Public Topic Forums,or should they have they're (sic) own section in the forums for access only if the reader requires the opinions of these newbies?

Old 28th July 2005
Gear Addict

As long as a pimp or manufacturer is clear about his or her business and avoids slagging off the competition, I say pile on. I'm not in the business of protecting people from themselves. If novice gear buyer takes a pimp's word as gospel, then novice deserves exactly what novice gets.

Thermionic: Valvecaster is sold out. But do yourself a favor and get the 3P-III Palindrometer. Closest thing I've found to a straight wire without gain.
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

I have no problem with salespeople posting for a simple reason - I am the sole decider of how to spend my cash. It is my responsibility to doublecheck the information out there. If I take someone's post for face value and make a purchase and find out later on that they must have been hyping the product - thats my own issue. Secondly, they (at least usually in high-end audio around these parts) are familiar with the products and can be helpful on that end, answering specifications/options and whatnot. Third, not all posts require an equipment decision (e.g. what mic pattern is best for X). Lastly, in the hypothetical clouds - if you could ban said people, how would such a ban work? How would you ensure anything? So, not only do I think its nearly impossible (and extremely time-consuming) to ban a certain group of people on a faceless network, but I dont think its necessary.
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingo
Valvecaster is sold out. But do yourself a favor and get the 3P-III Palindrometer. Closest thing I've found to a straight wire without gain.
Word...

You should hear what it does to the source when you chain two of them together - SWEET FANCIFUL MOSES!!! Words fail me... remember you heard it here first.
Old 28th July 2005
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinc
Baman I own and run 2 seperate companies more or less on my own.

Believe me. I`m my own man and I could give a **** about kissing anybodys ass especially on an annonymous audio forum. What exactly do I have to gain from kissing Flectcher or Nathan or Dots ass ? Are they gonna give me a big discount from a plug on a forum ?

I just give credit where it`s due and I honestly have learned quite a bit from this forum as a whole and the guys your calling Pimps are some of the main contributers. I find them way less offensive than you do for some reason and judging by the amount of posts you have I`ve dealt with them a lot longer than you have.

How old are you anyway ?

I got over this quasi "stick it to the man" punk kid bull**** when I was 20 yrs old.

First of 2leod, newbie posters does not mean that that person is inexperienced and have insufficient knowledge about audio gear. A professional sound engineer, who registers for the first time with one post, does that mean that persons audio credential and knowledge is less than an experienced poster whos posted 1000 posts and know jack all about audio gear except that from what that person has read from a vast amount of posts.

The discussion is not about professionals who contribute in a manner thats fair, but sly gear pimps.

Nathan quickly places a link in regards to posts he knows nothing off, just so he looks like the little dibber dobber ass kissing kid from a kindergarten pre school. He hears some fabricated crap from Michal and without validation automatically sides the accusation because hes a little dealer bitch.

As for Michal, Mr High and Mytek, maybe he should learn to accept some negative opinions about his gear or his company. You can't buy everyone Michal. Your gear for its price is not worth the jump, people are better off saving a little more for a Benchmark or Lavry or buy an Apogee. I've heard people receiving your unit with a missing screw, no manual, a scratch here. What gives? Are you selling factory seconds as new? Put some effort in will you if your expecting people to fork out that price for your units.

kevinc, don't put words into my posts. Tell me, which people have I directly called a sly gear pimp here? Name them. Learn to distinguish between gear pimp and sly gear pimp.

Asking for age is an old line. It doesn't mean **** to Audio. Just because your older doesnt mean your wiser or smarter, just means your hearing is worse and your hairline is receeding.
Old 28th July 2005

Quote:
Just because your older doesnt mean your wiser or smarter, just means your hearing is worse and your hairline is receeding.
fuuck

heh
Old 28th July 2005
Seems like some old vendetas are being taken out for a walk here...

Bamans contributions to the site so far...

Exerpts...

Showing results 1 to 24 of 24
Search took 0.01 seconds. Search: Posts Made By: baman
Forum: The moan zone Today, 05:32 PM
Replies: 22
Views: 358
Posted By baman
First of 2leod, newbie posters does not mean that...

First of 2leod, newbie posters does not mean that that person is inexperienced and have insufficient knowledge about audio gear. A professional sound engineer, who registers for the first time with...
Forum: High end Today, 03:52 PM
Replies: 8
Thinking of buying a U195
Views: 131
Posted By baman
I had the mic for a year before upgrading to a...

I had the mic for a year before upgrading to a more expensivier Sony mic. Definitely the U195 is an excellent all purpose mic at an excellent price. Its more flexible than the TLM at it's pricerange...
Forum: The moan zone Today, 09:23 AM
Posted By baman
kevinc, your opnions seems to be one...

I mean dots response is more realistic than yours with his admission that there are bad gear pimps here, I can definitely respect his answer in...
Forum: High end Today, 08:49 AM
Replies: 24
Great River ME-1NV on Vocals???
Views: 787
Posted By baman
You guys sound like sheep. As soon as one person...

You guys sound like sheep. As soon as one person posts with a bit of know how, the rest of you guys add your little wanna be witty remarks. Reminds me of kindergarten kids at the playground. Atleast...
Forum: The moan zone Today, 01:30 AM
Posted By baman

Should Sly Gear Pimps be allowed to post their opinions on Public Topic Forums or should they have they're own section in the forums for access only if the reader requires the opinions of these Sly...
Forum: High end Today, 12:42 AM
Posted By baman
Well running the Mytek with my friends 1073...

Well running the Mytek with my friends 1073 reissue, Helios, Manley Voxbox and my 737 TG-2, Gr and X73 it makes it sound thin. If your Mytek doesn't sound thin, then maybe it has a fault with it, you...
Forum: High end 26th July 2005, 08:47 AM
Posted By baman
oceantracks, it probably sounds thin due to your...

oceantracks, it probably sounds thin due to your Mytek converters. Mytek converters has a tendency to make vocals sound thin as well as your pocket.

The Gr does sound slightly thinner compared to...
Forum: High end 14th July 2005, 04:51 AM
Replies: 146
the best bass di
Views: 7,006
Posted By baman
what do u mean by this: the Ditto Box by...

what do u mean by this:

the Ditto Box by extrapolation

what are the improvements with using extrapolation
Forum: High end 13th July 2005, 02:06 PM
Replies: 28
Preamp or not for high end synth?
Views: 1,012
Posted By baman
Does the DI of the GT Brick or the GT Ditto...

Does the DI of the GT Brick or the GT Ditto compete with any of the DIs mentioned here. Isnt it hiend enough or does it sound mediocre compared to the others?
Forum: High end 11th July 2005, 04:50 PM
Replies: 146
the best bass di
Views: 7,006
Posted By baman
Does the GT Brick or Ditto DI compare to any of...

Does the GT Brick or Ditto DI compare to any of the DIs here mentioned or is it a lower class and not High end?
Forum: High end 11th July 2005, 04:27 PM
Replies: 31
Producing RnB [message for ThrillFactor, e-cue, and other RnB headz]
Views: 872
Posted By baman
Yeah but bob, is 3-5 feet the norm to get great...

Yeah but bob, is 3-5 feet the norm to get great vocals. The Engineers I have come across always record between 1 hand length or a bit more from the mic for main vocals, even engineers at commercial...
Forum: High end 11th July 2005, 03:08 AM
Replies: 31
Producing RnB [message for ThrillFactor, e-cue, and other RnB headz]
Views: 872
Posted By baman
It depends if you have the discipline to turn...

It depends if you have the discipline to turn your home or project studio into a business studio. We all wish we could work closer to our home so as not to waste valuable time on travel and when work...
Forum: Low End Theory 10th July 2005, 07:17 AM
Replies: 13
Help with new converter
Views: 637
Posted By baman
It depends what you will be doing mostly. Are you...

It depends what you will be doing mostly. Are you recording mostly live stuff or mostly synth and sampled based.

If its live stuff then mic and mic-pre and then buy a good converter later.
If your...
Forum: High end 7th July 2005, 06:20 AM
Replies: 61
ITB with slutty outboard???
Views: 1,835
Posted By baman
I have to agree with thethrillfactor here. I do...

I have to agree with thethrillfactor here. I do notice changes when you insert outboard and having to go through the AD-DA conversions. The audio becomes more sterile and you start to lose the stereo...
Forum: High end 29th June 2005, 02:43 AM
Replies: 75
Mytek vrs. Lucid
Views: 4,751
Posted By baman
I enjoyed your little story Michal. Im going to...

I enjoyed your little story Michal. Im going to have to save this posts to tell my grandkids as a bedtime story. Who is that person who you claim to have tried to extort and blackmail you?
Forum: High end 29th June 2005, 02:32 AM
Mytek vrs. Lucid
Posted By baman
Michal of www.mytekdigital.com: you wrote: Aren't...

Michal of www.mytekdigital.com: you wrote:
Aren't you the customer who was trying to extort a Stereo96DAC at 1/2 price from me couple of months ago and subsequently, when I sent you to Mytek rep in...
Forum: High end 29th June 2005, 01:41 AM
Mytek vrs. Lucid
Posted By baman
Well if you can get a really good deal on a...

Well if you can get a really good deal on a product, then I think you can kind of sacrifice good customer service and support for that product. I mean I go to some music stores here and I can't...
Forum: High end 28th June 2005, 07:11 AM
Mytek vrs. Lucid
Posted By baman
Do what you want. As for who I am or we are, it...

Do what you want. As for who I am or we are, it should not be your main focus of concern. The issue is your product and your service. If you want to spend all your time trying to find who is who to...
Forum: Low End Theory 27th June 2005, 02:41 AM
Replies: 0
Lucid da9624 vs Digidesign 888/24 da converter section
Views: 49
Posted By baman
Lucid da9624 vs Digidesign 888/24 da converter section

Which is better and why. Is there a big step of improvement beween the 888/24 interface DA section and the Lucid DA9624 when comparing them at the same 24bit 44.1 rate.

What qualities make one...
Forum: High end 26th June 2005, 12:53 AM
Replies: 4
About to buy a DA converter, how is the Lucid
Views: 341
Posted By baman
Are they better than the standard Protools...

Are they better than the standard Protools Coverters like the 888/24. Comparing them to one another at 24bit 44.1.

What are the significant differences that make one better sounding than the other....
Forum: High end 23rd June 2005, 02:28 AM
Replies: 4
Views: 341
Posted By baman

Lucid DA9624. How does it rate amongst it's competition of RME, Benchmark, Apogee DA converters, What are it's qualities like for using as sends to outboard and to use as stereo outs into the...
Forum: High end 21st June 2005, 07:54 AM
Mytek vrs. Lucid
Posted By baman
Im glad that you have become a good listener...

Im glad that you have become a good listener Michal, is it because this is on a public forum, how are your email responses though, hmm?

I think consumer problems are better solved with companies who...
Forum: High end 21st June 2005, 05:27 AM
Mytek vrs. Lucid
Posted By baman
I guess you guys are lucky that Mytek is local...

I guess you guys are lucky that Mytek is local for you. But Internationally Michal prefers to pass the problem on to someone else and forget about his loyal customers even if the problem isnt fixed....
Forum: High end 19th June 2005, 02:52 PM
Replies: 3
getting the most from 888/24 interfaces.
Views: 107
Posted By baman
getting the most from 888/24 interfaces.

I read somewhere in one of these posts that lowering the calibration pots on the output channels of the 888/24 will give better playback. What improvements are they and is this true? Arent they...

Showing results 1 to 24 of 24
Old 28th July 2005
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
Seems like some old vendetas are being taken out for a walk here...
You think so Jules?
Please elaborate.
What is my vendetta? What is your reasoning and what is your facts to support this vendetta. How much of the information have you read can be validated as true information to support this vendetta theory of yours. Do you have enough background in regards to my own knowledge and experience to support such an opinion.

If I tell you that I found the Mytek Converters sterile and made the audio thinner from my own experience, is my opinion incorrect? If Mytek Converters thins out my gear that I use and someone else gets a different result, are they correct or am I in regards to my own opinions and my own experiences? Are opinions subjective and are there are many factors that can affect the result of a persons experience or result about a piece of gear?

Remember these are my opinions and my experiences and also of people that I know. If my name was Rupert Neve, I doubt many of you posters would act like the way you do and dare opose any of my opinions or experiences of my posts.

Imagine: this is a hypothetical post.
Rupert Neve post: After passing audio through a Mytek converter, I heard an unpleasing 8th harmonic distortion in the frequencies that dogs can only hear. This adversely affects the stereo image of a mono audio source.
kevinc: My God, I was just about to post the same findings Mr Neve. You're my hero
Nathan: Yes I think I can hear that as well, hold on, maybe we have a device somewhere here in our catalogue that can adversely reverse the affects of this distortion. Yes, here we have and it's on special, its called a Benchmark converter. Its a simple modification, we simply remove the mytek converter from the audio DAC signal path and replace it with a Benchmark converter.

Thank you to all that have placed some genuine opinions here on this topic.
Old 28th July 2005
Max
Lives for gear

I don't care what anybody says, I love this thread, and the fact is that all readers should take any opinions given by those that stand to gain from the purchase of a product with a grain of salt. It is one thing to provide factual information regarding a product, it is quite another to say "I think "X" sounds better than "Y"....." when you either don't sell "Y" or you sell both but company "Y" is up your butt 'cause you are not pushing it enough on the forums....

The people need to hold the feet of those of us in the business of making and selling gear to the fire, as that is what ensures Gearslutz and other forums remain useful tools for the entire community.

Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

Just out of curiosity, how important are forums for manufactureres ? GS and the other forums are big communitys, but is it what 1% of actual working engineers who actually log in to these places ? or is it much more ? I still think purchases are made by word of mounth from real life colleagues you meet right or no ?

Just curious.. how "important" are these forums for pimps. Always had that question...
Old 29th July 2005
Art
Gear Addict

This is a fascinating thread!

I think in order to make user forms highly effective the users need to feel that others opinions are being given without any expectations of personal benefit. Once someone who has something to gain (financially) enters the picture, there is an inherent breakdown of trust and the system is not as efficient (i.e. people begin to wonder if someone who loves a certain product is a dealer). However, if dealers are banned for example, they will simply log on as normal users and still give their opinions and may even direct readers to their sites. I would much rather have it the way it is now, where the dealer promotes himself as such. This way the reader can choose how much to read into the dealers opinions.

Art
Old 29th July 2005
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Mrochek
Just out of curiosity, how important are forums for manufactureres ? GS and the other forums are big communitys, but is it what 1% of actual working engineers who actually log in to these places ? or is it much more ? I still think purchases are made by word of mounth from real life colleagues you meet right or no ?

Just curious.. how "important" are these forums for pimps. Always had that question...
VERY VERY IMPORTANT!
When forums first came out, forums were not justifyable to be used as a marketting tool, hardly anyone was using it except a few computer geeks. Now the advent of Internet connections in a large part of the community and it's ability to expand on product awareness and customers for a Manufacturers and Dealers has lead to promotions and marketting being used on forums.

Have a look at all the banner ads on these forums. These are big companies placing their ads in here. Have a look at signatures on posters and links. They wouldn't be foolish to invest money or time in promotions and marketting on these forums if they couldn't gain anything from it.

Alot of people use these forums to decide on purchasing which gear because some do not have access to test the product and some people would like to hear the latest news and information on whos using what and some people cant make their own personal judgement on what really sounds good and relies on the opinion of others of higher calibre to help them distinguish what they should be hearing.

Word of mouth is a thing of the past. Why hear the words of your own colleagues and friends opinions about a product when you can read or have access on the opinions of so called international experts, experienced engineers, famous producers and people you look up to or respect on these forums.

Polluting these forums with sly gear pimps is comouflaging the right gear from being in the hands of aspiring musicians, engineers and producers.

As for sly gear pimps entering the forums with a different user name to guide viewers to their product has less pull power and authority than placing their own signature and company on their username. Not unless your from Behringer and your pimping in a boutique forum. These dealers and manufacturers know the power of name recognition and branding on these forums.

Go on Ebay, have a look at some sly gear pimp tricks. It's getting harder to distinguish between going to your local music store and going to gearsluts to find information on products these days. Seems like you can't escape sales people these days, they're everywhere.

And Nathan this topic isn't started because of you, please.................. But I guess your own feeling of guilt has lead you to believe this.
Old 29th July 2005
Only one month registered and you don't seem very happy here Baman...
Old 29th July 2005
Art
Gear Addict

well I guess it kind of balances itself out in the end, if dealers do choose to use the forums as a marketing tool then the users will often use the forums to critique their experience with the dealer. We are allowed to discuss these experiences and have not been banned for it. Ideally, things would be limited to 100% equipment discussion, but this is not realistic really. At the end of the day, the user has to filter and analyze the info and come to a choice.

Obviously someone here has a problem with Atlas (I believe ?), well if i should buy some thing from Atlas, I may now be more cautious and ask questions as a result of this thread. However, with my SHORT personal experience on this forum, Nathan has not been anything but prodessional, respectful and helpful. I hope that their differences could be worked out.

I think this thread is a bit deceiving, as an individual is really doing the same thing he accuses the dealers of doing, posting with an expectation of personal benefit. This starter of this thread does not seem to act in the spirit of discussion but more in the spirit of revenge. However, I do think there should be a place where a user should be able to voice their bad experiences, although this is very tricky ground, as users will inevitably use this for their personal benefit.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search