The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Air - Sexy Boy - that talkbox is getting me down! Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 16th April 2009
Gear interested

Air - Sexy Boy - that talkbox is getting me down!

Hi guys,

This is my first post, but I've been browsing and consulting the boards for a while
I'm working on this school project (in fact, it's quite important), and one of the assignments is to "recreate a hit song" (from musical as well as productional point of view) - we could pick the song we most liked out of a list of 40, so I chose Sexy Boy.

Damn, that talkboxpart isn't easy to do! I'm not even sure anymore that it's a real talkbox (but it says so in the Moon Safari booklet). So I've been tinkering with the EVOC for the biggest part of my day, AND IT ISN'T WORKING! I can't achieve the same thing (tried to EQ the **** out of it too), and I'm getting quite frustrated.
(The signals I used to feed the talkbox were various bass synth sounds... That was the right thing to try, no?)
As for the EVOC - I tried all presets, tried stuff from scratch as well, decided to go for this Galactic Warrior preset because I thought I could hear a bit of a resemblance, and am now writing my first message on Gearslutz in the Moan Zone!

If any of you guys has a clue how to get as close as possible to this performance and sound, please... Release me... (YouTube - Engelbert Humperdinck - Please release me 1985 (Well... It's only the first line that matters ) )

Thank you so much.

Cheers,

Tessa

Ps Strange enough, I couldn't find the music vid for Sexy Boy on YouTube, but this one will do just fine, I guess
YouTube - Sexy Boy-Air
Old 16th April 2009
Lives for gear

1. EVOC is crap as a classic vocoder. It's a vocoder that got me really frustrated before I had really used a decent vocoder.

2. EVOC is a vocoder. Not a talkbox. You cannot use a vocoder to emulate the moving filter sounds from your mouth done with a talkbox. Also, something that I didn't get for a little while when I first started listening to electronic music. but ya, you need a talk box to pull that off.
Old 18th April 2009
Gear interested

Okay, thanks... I guess I'll just have to keep on practising/trying then...

One of my teachers told me that talkboxing confuses the brain and some people could get 'high' from doing it.

Let's practise some more, shall we ;-)
Old 18th April 2009
Gear Nut
Yeah, you're looking in the wrong places I'm afraid!

As has been said, EVOC is a vocoder and not a talkbox. Two different ballparks.

The industry standard feed for a talkbox is just a sawtooth patch, so start there and work your way about.
Old 13th January 2012
Gear Nut
Korg VC-10 Synthesizer/Vocoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessa View Post
Hi guys,

This is my first post, but I've been browsing and consulting the boards for a while
I'm working on this school project (in fact, it's quite important), and one of the assignments is to "recreate a hit song" (from musical as well as productional point of view) - we could pick the song we most liked out of a list of 40, so I chose Sexy Boy.

Damn, that talkboxpart isn't easy to do! I'm not even sure anymore that it's a real talkbox (but it says so in the Moon Safari booklet). So I've been tinkering with the EVOC for the biggest part of my day, AND IT ISN'T WORKING! I can't achieve the same thing (tried to EQ the **** out of it too), and I'm getting quite frustrated.
(The signals I used to feed the talkbox were various bass synth sounds... That was the right thing to try, no?)
As for the EVOC - I tried all presets, tried stuff from scratch as well, decided to go for this Galactic Warrior preset because I thought I could hear a bit of a resemblance, and am now writing my first message on Gearslutz in the Moan Zone!

If any of you guys has a clue how to get as close as possible to this performance and sound, please... Release me... (YouTube - Engelbert Humperdinck - Please release me 1985 (Well... It's only the first line that matters ) )

Thank you so much.

Cheers,

Tessa

Ps Strange enough, I couldn't find the music vid for Sexy Boy on YouTube, but this one will do just fine, I guess
YouTube - Sexy Boy-Air
Air's "Sexy Boy" is NOT a talk-box, BUT the Korg VC-10 Keyboard/Vocoder!!
Old 15th January 2012
restpause
That teacher sounds like a total dork. I think the teacher's brain is "confused". Just do your best. It sounds like at least you are trying.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Summary:

April – June 1997 (Moon Safari): Roland VP-330 Vocoder Plus

1998 (Live NPA Performance): Korg VC-10 Vocoder, YouTube

2009 (Live KCRW Performance): BOSS VT-1 Voice Transformer, YouTube

2016-2017 (for ex. Vivid LIVE 2017, Sydney Opera House): Roland VT-3, YouTube

Last edited by Dequadix; 4 days ago at 06:48 PM.. Reason: .

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search