The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What a Bad Experience...
Old 24th July 2005
Lives for gear

What a Bad Experience...

Hey slutz,

It´s my first post here on the moan zone.

Sometimes when recording I feel the need to help the musicians in terms of musicality, education, work hours, concentration, respect to others, punctuality etc. etc.

I have noticed that most of the time, WITHOUT BEEING COCKY, just telling the truth, they act like little kinder garden kids (talking about 30 years old musicians). I was going to record this classical ensemble with 13 people, now I would only use 5!

The person who is paying for this has explained that things are gonna be made my way on the recording sessions so I has all his support. I´ve been in 3 rehearsals and every time I say something people take it personally. Just don´t know what to do.

Do you think I will be a jerk if I reduced the ensemble to only 5 people?

I really don´t give a **** cause I´m tired of people not taking things at a professional level. But what about ethics...

This sucks!

PUPO
Old 24th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djui5
If you weren't hired on as a producer and hired to just Engineer the project, it might not be a good idea to start making decisions like that.

Sometimes it's hard not to tell people how to play or what to play or how to act, but as an Engineer there is a fine line between just some good advice and playing "wannabee producer", the latter of which is really really annoying to a lot of people. You should also consider session flow before you start telling people things. Sometimes it's better to let it go and keep the session vibe upbeat and keep the flow going. I mean is it really going to change the recording that much? Is it worth all the attitudes and conflicts which really put a hurting on musicians performances?
Hi djui5,

I was hired as a producer and recording engineering, that´s why I´m making decisions. I´ve been working on the scores with the concertino and stuff like that. I do know that when you are hired as an engineer most of the time you´ll just give some advice and leave the other stuff to the producer.

The ensemble was composed by 13 musicians, 5 of them had play together for more than 5 years. 5 of the other 8 musicians have been playing their instrument for less than a year, so this is a new opportunity for them. At the same time, their cockiness is so obvious they think they know more than the conductor, so I wonder if this is part of their education.

Should I give them the opportunity or not?

It has been IMPOSSIBLE for this people to be on time for the rehearsals, always with excuses such as " I had things to do bla, bla, bla"

The soloist, the executive producer, the musical director and myself are convinced that the attitude of this guys is awfull. The problem is if I should give them the opportunity.

Best Regards,
PUPO
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

Musicians can be pretty flaky... and arrogant. Sorry to hear about that. I guess it all depends on how personally you feel about the whole project and how far you're willing to go along the line of "realizing your vision vs. satisfying others". There are tradeoffs, benefits, and reprocussions to all most of those options.

That said, I've always felt happy (after the fact) about the harshest criticism.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search