The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
this happened yesterday...
Old 6th April 2009
this happened yesterday...

i had a session booked through a third party who only gave me some idea as to what i would be recording...it was to be piano and a few people for an ensemble..(recording soundtrack for a musical) ...anyways...i show up a bit late to see my intern for the day in the parking lot SURROUNDED by about 28 people....hmmmmm..at this point a sudden wave of panic and anger come over me..but i keep my composure.... i go to the director to find out the real scoop, because i was obviously lied to...so he explains to me the setup..Full drums, acoustic, e gtr, standup bass, sax,tenner,piano, and a 17 person full choir............and he wants to track it ALL LIVE...this wouldnt be a problem if my tracking room was twice the size with double the rooms.....so i suggested we split it up..get all the instrumentation and then get the choir back in.......this would not do for him..so i told him what the result will be and that it probably wont be to his satisfaction, but he gave me the old..."trust me" speech...and i bit my tongue and proceeded to setup.....i could go on all day about the small things like how i couldnt put a blanket over the piano because the player was a tiny old lady and she "plays better when she can see everybody"..or the guitar players terrible "expensive, so i know its awesome" acoustic pickup....either way i think you get the point...i just needed to vent...
Old 6th April 2009
Lives for gear

Sounds like a session from hell. How did the overall sound turn out?
Old 6th April 2009
Jax
Lives for gear

Hopefully it will turn out alright, but this begs a few questions.

Did you try telling the director you weren't interested in starting a project that was likely to end in disaster? And that whoever arranged the gig might have doomed it to failure by giving you bad iinformation? How much of your rep would've been on the line if you turned them away?

Tough call. However, I probably wouldn't have gone ahead with the project if faced with the same situation.

There are two outcomes that unfortunately are not unlikely. First, the project is recorded, mixed and it sounds horrible as expected. Second, if you had turned them away, there were so many people present that your rep is likely to be tarnished for being the guy whose studio can't handle a full on ensemble. Either way, the project (or lack thereof) could reflect badly on your reputation. I can't pick a lesser of two evils here, but I wish you luck!
Old 6th April 2009
okay so the situation is..the guy that set it up was the studio owner and he told me what he knew was going on..no fault to him, as this happens occasionally..

the director guy has worked at this studio since before i was working there..and brings his clients to us...and to be honest we couldve turned it away because no one in this town is equipped to do that session the way he wanted it to....

as to how it sounds...i havent listened to it since i recorded it but im sure it sounds like the way it was produced..rushed...i actually feel bad for the guy who is going to mix it..(because supposedly hes getting someone in nashville to mix it) and that is a terrible sign plus that hurts our studio like apparently we dont know what were doing...
...did i mention we did it for half of our normal rate.......on the bright side, i have clients to complain about...but still.
Old 7th April 2009
Lives for gear

I hate days like this when things aren't really planned out or discussed before hand.

A while back, I took a last minute session from another engineer here and had a flute player that plays for the local symphony come in and ask that we use NO artificial reverb.

"OK... Thats cool"

After the first couple of takes, she says it doesn't sound like the normal recordings that she does. I asked where she usually records and she replied "In churches and symphony halls" I just stared at her and said "I'm sorry, we don't have a church here"

Also, few months ago, I saw that I was on the books for a project called "Spirit and Inspiration"... the secretary said an old black woman had come in and said that she was a gospel piano player. The day comes and 10 totally thugged out hip hop kids around 16-18 years old walk in with an mp3 disc full of beatz.

Apparently the old woman really was a gospel piano player... she was just booking the time for her nephew.
Old 7th April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makinithappen View Post
I hate days like this when things aren't really planned out or discussed before hand.

A while back, I took a last minute session from another engineer here and had a flute player that plays for the local symphony come in and ask that we use NO artificial reverb.

"OK... Thats cool"

After the first couple of takes, she says it doesn't sound like the normal recordings that she does. I asked where she usually records and she replied "In churches and symphony halls" I just stared at her and said "I'm sorry, we don't have a church here"

Also, few months ago, I saw that I was on the books for a project called "Spirit and Inspiration"... the secretary said an old black woman had come in and said that she was a gospel piano player. The day comes and 10 totally thugged out hip hop kids around 16-18 years old walk in with an mp3 disc full of beatz.

Apparently the old woman really was a gospel piano player... she was just booking the time for her nephew.
I did a mastering session for a high school student. He waited about two weeks and then came back and told me that his Grandmother, who had financed the whole project. did not like my mastering so he wanted his money back. He told me she was 89 years old. I told him that if she would come to the studio and tell me what she did not like I would fix it but I was not going to give him back his money and he knew that going into the project.

Turns out he needed the money for the replication and figured that I would just give him back the money and he could just use the disk I mastered for replication. He was somewhat surprised that I would only redo the mastering and would not simply give him his money back. I never had the pleasure of meeting his 89 year old Grandmother. His stuff was punk, hiphop and funk all mixed together.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search