The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A Roland Gripe!!!
Old 14th March 2009
Lives for gear

A Roland Gripe!!!

I think it is so stupid Roland came up a proprietary standard like "R-BUS" and left out the industry standard "ADAT". Now, R-Bus would have been okay if they would have also included ADAT I/O but NO!, they pushed their lame idea and if you want ADAT, you have to buy an additional $400 box to convert their format to ADAT (Roland DIF-AT24) Dumb Dumb Dumb!! I really do like this unit though. I modded the fan in the rear to be much quieter and I use external A/D converters to achieve excellent sound. Much more solid than software tracking (imo) and I move the tracks to software for mixing and mastering. They just should have included ADAT I/O without charging Extra!!!!. The black box should have been free to make up for a dumb idea!!! Its just Crazy Man!!

Old 14th March 2009
Deleted User
Thats not the real stupid thing bro. My VS2480 HAS a ADAT port on the back for 8 ins and 8 outs but ONLY lets you due STEREO TOSLINK connection!!!!!!!!!!!!

SOOOOO, i would have to buy TWO DIF AT24's to get 16 in and out via ADAT.

Not to mention that they canned all the VS line now, bailed on the plugin card development etc. Dont worry, i WONT be buying any ROLAND or CAKEWALK product EVER in the near future. My VS cost me 3400 and I cant even get 1400 out of it now
Old 14th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
Thats not the real stupid thing bro. My VS2480 HAS a ADAT port on the back for 8 ins and 8 outs but ONLY lets you due STEREO TOSLINK connection!!!!!!!!!!!!

SOOOOO, i would have to buy TWO DIF AT24's to get 16 in and out via ADAT.

Not to mention that they canned all the VS line now, bailed on the plugin card development etc. Dont worry, i WONT be buying any ROLAND or CAKEWALK product EVER in the near future. My VS cost me 3400 and I cant even get 1400 out of it now

Shane,

Yep, I understand. These units could have been much better if they would have did a few things different. Forget R-Bus, put ADAT I/O's, use Apogee or RME A/D-D/A Converters. You are also right on the pre-owned value. Its hard to get much for 'em used. Luckily I got mine new with a rebate for only $1800 and some free plugins. I was really going to get into the plugins but realized these machines (for me at least) work better for tracking machines and then just move the tracks to software for mixing and plugins. Ive just never had good luck tracking into software but love it for mixing. I guess Roland killed all the VS boxes due to the software craze but I think they should make a VS box just for tracking. No Cheesy Effects or plugins, either great A/D-D/A converters or leave 'em off and we choose our own thru ADAT I/O. I love the moving faders, the memory, the ease of recording. Ive considered going to ADAT-HD24XR but then I would have to have a larger mixer to utilize it properly. Anyway, as much as the Roland isn't perfect, I still like it for what it is and work around the flaws. The sound is excellent when used with external A/D-DA.
Old 14th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
My VS2480 HAS a ADAT port on the back for 8 ins and 8 outs but ONLY lets you due STEREO TOSLINK connection!
I almost forgot, the ADAT port you mention is really just an optical SP/DIF just like on mine. Roland thought their goofy R-Bus was "better" so they left off the industry standard ADAT I/O, then have the audacity to make a $400 box so we can get connected in the first place.....Here I am ranting again
Old 15th March 2009
Lives for gear

We have a v studio at my school for tracking ONLY. Reason being anything that should take 5 seconds to do in your DAW takes an hour on the damn roland.
Old 16th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
My VS2480 HAS a ADAT port on the back for 8 ins and 8 outs but ONLY lets you due STEREO TOSLINK connection!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's not an ADAT port, it's an optical S/PDIF port. Same connector, yes, but it's not an ADAT port.

Quote:
You can't really blame Roland for that one...they stopped making the VS line because nobody was buying them any more. Tascam, Akai and Yamaha stopped making their high-end boxes as well...the market really dried up for those. You can't really blame them for the current resale value being what it is...
Old 16th March 2009
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duardo View Post
It's not an ADAT port, it's an optical S/PDIF port. Same connector, yes, but it's not an ADAT port.
I know the diff homertutt I HAVE ONE!!!!

Its a TOSLINK connection to be most accurate

ADAT = 8 channels
TOSLINK = 2 channels both down the SAME optical cable

yes we all know the VS series doesnst do all 8 channels which is the point to this story, you have to buy an DIF AT24 to get all 8 channels
Old 16th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I know the diff homer I HAVE ONE!!!!
I know that you HAVE one, but since you referred to it as "a ADAT port on the back for 8 ins and 8 outs" I wasn't sure that you were aware that even though the connectors are the same, it's what's on the inside of the machine that determines whether it's an ADAT port or not (and in this case, it's not).
Old 17th March 2009
Deleted User
Quote:
I know that you HAVE one, but since you referred to it as "a ADAT port on the back for 8 ins and 8 outs" I wasn't sure that you were aware that even though the connectors are the same, it's what's on the inside of the machine that determines whether it's an ADAT port or not (and in this case, it's not).
Most people these days refer to optical connection as ADAT since Alesis made the protocol
Most boxes have this and NOT the optical spdif now. I see your point though

Imagine my surprize when I tried to get 8 channels of ADAT going!!!!!
No ,sorry Shane, thats an optical S/PDIF or Toslink connection. Youll have to by our little DIF AT24 box for $400 a piece to get 16 channels into your Mac. Dont forget to get two of those expensive RBUS cables as well. SOOO another $900 to get it into the Mac plus you need a good PCI card with ADAT connection as well.
Old 17th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Most people these days refer to optical connection as ADAT since Alesis made the protocol
Most boxes have this and NOT the optical spdif now.
I don't know that it's true that "most" people refer to the optical connection as ADAT, but even if they did, they'd be wrong...Toshiba (the "TOS" in "Toslink") pioneered the optical connection about ten years before the ADAT came on the market, and in addition to being present on many soundcards, converters and recording systems in the pro audio market it can be found on a huge number of consumer pieces as well. Alesis used the connector for the ADAT machines because it had the bandwidth needed (although, unlike TDIF and even RBUS, lacked the bandwidth to bump up to 96 kHz) and because the cables and connectors were cheap and readily available.

Sure, you're more likely to find the connectors used for ADAT-format signals on multichannel boxes these days (although many will allow the connector to be used for either multichannel ADAT or stereo S/PDIF use) but overall you'll find many more devices that use the Toslink connectin for S/PDIF-format signals...I don't recall seeing any ADAT-format devices in places like Wal-Mart, Target or Best Buy (although I guess the Best Buy thing may be changing)...
Old 17th March 2009
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post

LOL , so true The assumption is that I care which I dontheh

Duardo, let it go dude, I dont care
Old 17th March 2009
Lives for gear

Well, then, I apologize...based on the number of exclamation points you used I was under the mistaken impression that you cared deeply...
Old 17th March 2009
Deleted User
Quote:
Well, then, I apologize...based on the number of exclamation points you used I was under the mistaken impression that you cared deeply...
Where on the same page here bro, I SHOULD HAVE SAID Optical instead of ADAT.
Lets not build a mountain here . your right and I conceed, hows thatheh
either waay it STILL sucks that they put an optical SPDIF instead of hte full 8 channels and made their own proprietary crap
Old 5th August 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbydesign View Post
I think it is so stupid Roland came up a proprietary standard like "R-BUS" and left out the industry standard "ADAT". Now, R-Bus would have been okay if they would have also included ADAT I/O but NO!, they pushed their lame idea and if you want ADAT, you have to buy an additional $400 box to convert their format to ADAT (Roland DIF-AT24) Dumb Dumb Dumb!! I really do like this unit though. I modded the fan in the rear to be much quieter and I use external A/D converters to achieve excellent sound. Much more solid than software tracking (imo) and I move the tracks to software for mixing and mastering. They just should have included ADAT I/O without charging Extra!!!!. The black box should have been free to make up for a dumb idea!!! Its just Crazy Man!!

Wait, so the DIF-AT box isn’t silent? They have noisy fans? Do both the DIF-AT24 and DIF-AT boxes have noisy fans?
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear