The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
It is so hot here I am freaking out!
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

It is so hot here I am freaking out!

I live in the Canadian Prairies. Not a place known for its hot weather. It usually peaks at about +30 Deg. Centigrade ( not sure what that is in Farenheit ) and about - 30 Deg. Centigrade in the winter. Bloody cold. It has been hitting +33 and with seriously high humidity. So figure about +42 Deg. Celcius with the humidex. I dry off after a shower and I am damp again in about 15 minutes.The heat here is normally dry like Arizona but the humidity is like being in the tropics. My palms are sweating and I am completely loosing it. If I ever vacation in Asia or other sub-tropical destinations, I would be totally screwed. I normally don't like it really hot because I am naturally a hot person. I am always hot in the winter and my friends call me the "furnace" sometimes. This totally sucks. I am barely sleeping and all I do is sweat all day in a office with no AC. Our rehearsal space is like a blast furnace so jamming has been out of the question. Sorry I had to bitch but it makes me feel better.
Old 13th July 2005
Gear Addict

Yo bro, I'm 120 miles east of Toronto and 60 miles north of lake Ontario, hit 36 here yesterday way up in the mid 40's with humidex reading, it's supposed to be like this for several days yet and it's already been hot for 5-6 days. IT"STOOFREAKINHOT. there I feel better. No AC here, but I'm finding alot of excuses to go to pick something up in the truck, which has air.
I know you guys in the southern states and Indonesia and parts of asia think we're just a bunch of whiner wuses, but for us Canuks this is hot. Bring on the winter. Take care Logan
Old 14th July 2005
Gear Nut

I'm in downtown toronto..try this heat with all the pavement radiating the heat back up at you.

Icing on the cake is that my car blew up last week so I'm humping it on transit in the heat. That laptop bag can get heavy...
Old 14th July 2005
Gear Maniac

buy a dehumidifier and a fan for home...
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

Not that bad today. At least there is a breeze and less humidity today. Saturday is supposed to be another +36 blaster with lots of humidity. The plus is my drums sound awesome with all this humidity.
Old 14th July 2005
Gear Nut

http://www.pulse24.com/images/weather/19.gif

finally! some relief by the weekend.

humidty and heat really cranks up the smog too
Old 14th July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Gaucher
Centigrade in the winter. Bloody cold. It has been hitting +33 and with seriously high humidity. .
Hmmmm that is what, about 91 F? 105 with the heat index?

We are at 115 today! AND Loving it! heh

OK, maybe not "loving" it...

Pretty much hating it...
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

My wife-to-be has been in Moosomin (sp?) SK for 3 weeks with another few days to go, and she's been complaining about the heat, but more the humidity. Coming from 20 years of southern Ont. (and soon moving back there this fall) I HATE IT! Luckily I've been in the far north, with no humidity and moderate temps, but will be heading to the Okanagan furnace for our wedding in a few days - at least it's 'dry' heat there...

best with coping!
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

Moosomin is a couple hours south east of here. Is she originally from Saskatchewan? The humidity is what has been bugging me too. I don't mind the heat, I just hate the humidity. Congrats on the wedding! The Okanagan is beautiful, I hope there is no crazy forest fires there like last summer. I have a brother and uncle in Kelowna. So Plug, are you a Canadian?
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Moosomin is a couple hours south east of here. Is she originally from Saskatchewan? The humidity is what has been bugging me too. I don't mind the heat, I just hate the humidity. Congrats on the wedding! The Okanagan is beautiful, I hope there is no crazy forest fires there like last summer. I have a brother and uncle in Kelowna. So Plug, are you a Canadian?
The wife's grandfolks are from there, and she's from Kamloops (where the wedding will be). She's just studying (medicine) with the doctors/hospital/clinic there, and visiting family/friends for a month.

and yep, I'm Canadian: born in the 'peg, but lived in southern ont for many years before heading north to the Yukon for almost 15 years now. Moving south in late Aug., (bought a place with the wife in Dundas, near Hamilton) and will be back in the land of humidity and smog (with a nice smattering of urban congestion) soon enough, luckily tho, after the summer and it's heatwaves...

BTW: I'm gonna be in Regina in a few weeks, producing a show at the closing of the Canada Summer Games (for promotion of Canada Winter Games here in Whitehorse 2007) - are you in the city that rhymes with 'fun'?

best,
Old 14th July 2005
Gear Maniac

It read 103F in my back yard today in Plam Bay Florida, thats almost 40C.
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlugHead
The wife's grandfolks are from there, and she's from Kamloops (where the wedding will be). She's just studying (medicine) with the doctors/hospital/clinic there, and visiting family/friends for a month.

and yep, I'm Canadian: born in the 'peg, but lived in southern ont for many years before heading north to the Yukon for almost 15 years now. Moving south in late Aug., (bought a place with the wife in Dundas, near Hamilton) and will be back in the land of humidity and smog (with a nice smattering of urban congestion) soon enough, luckily tho, after the summer and it's heatwaves...

BTW: I'm gonna be in Regina in a few weeks, producing a show at the closing of the Canada Summer Games (for promotion of Canada Winter Games here in Whitehorse 2007) - are you in the city that rhymes with 'fun'?

best,
Jay, yes I am in Regina. What is the closing show all about? Which venue is it at? Sad as it is I have not heard much of what is happening in town here at that time.
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

todd you damn well know that vegas has a DRY heat. you know the kind that makes all those cocktail waitresses look like leather faces. you know the kind that makes ox carcasses into bleached out bones. 115 F is nothing, one time in 1913 it got up to 136!!! in death valley.

yum yum

ps im kind of fat so everywhere i go it feels like im wearing a large coat
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

103 and 105 in the last week. I am not kinda fat. I am FAT. Its like being a roast in the oven roasting in my own juices. It is a fnucking joke. I can't escape the heat. I don't know how people in Vegas and Phoenix can deal with it in the summer. You guys are better men than I am. Just makes me real glad I am an engineer indoors and not a roofer. Those guys are insane. (But also very skinny)

Death by being fat? Or death by heatstroke. Tough choice.

Michael Greene
Old 15th July 2005
Gear Nut

Upper 90's and low 100's here for the past coupla weeks. That's usually how our summers go though so you get used to it. It's a dry heat though.
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Jay, yes I am in Regina. What is the closing show all about? Which venue is it at? Sad as it is I have not heard much of what is happening in town here at that time.
Colin,

It's in the stadium (Roughrider's/Taylor Field, I think?) and there's also an outdoor concert Thurs. the 18th on that little island in the city park - both might be closed to public, but the big event (for me, and our personnel) is closing ceremonies on Taylor Field.

BTW - this is a 'pan-northern' contingent (Nunavut/NWT/Yukon) - innuit drum/dancer, throat singers, dogrib drummers, storyteller, electric gtr, etc., and multi-media installation, so it's not solely a 'musical' thing, more like a 'half-time' show (lol)

regards,
Old 15th July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumadrum
todd you damn well know that vegas has a DRY heat. you know the kind that makes all those cocktail waitresses look like leather faces. you know the kind that makes ox carcasses into bleached out bones. 115 F is nothing, one time in 1913 it got up to 136!!! in death valley.

yum yum

ps im kind of fat so everywhere i go it feels like im wearing a large coat
Ok, so it is a "dry heat." That means the heat index is low and so 115F only FEELS LIKE 112F

Damned hot!

This is the thermometer of a friend in town. In the shade, btw.
Old 15th July 2005
Heat wave in London, UK .. v hard to sleep - hiding in studio air con..

Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddP
Ok, so it is a "dry heat." That means the heat index is low and so 115F only FEELS LIKE 112F

Damned hot!

This is the thermometer of a friend in town. In the shade, btw.
I feel like a whiney old lady now. That is hot hot hot.
Old 15th July 2005
Gear Nut

The humidity is a big deal. I got hitched in vegas during a heatwave (it was around 110 f in the fall) and it didn't feel as bad as this. Maybe it was the hunter s thompsonesque slant that we had to the whole affair that made us obilivious to heat but it did seem worse.

and of course when I'm freezing in the the winter the refrain will be:

"it's not the cold, it's the f**n' damp'

Jeff
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

When I was in Phoenix for a short while our radiator blew up at 53° celsius. Back to NY I used to wear wet towels which would dry out in an half hour or so.
Still, when it´s too hot I just think of uncomfortable winter conditions and it makes me cope instantly.

But I seem build for warm climate anyway. Can´t stand dark, wet and cold environment. Give me summer over winter any time.

Ruphus
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Maniac

It's hot here in Nashville as well. 97 today(approx 36C)...
We have all kind of heat advisories posted until Monday evening. It's suppose to be 101(38C) on Monday with a heat index of over 111F(44C)!!
The south is SO balmy, it's the worst. I was in New Orleans last week, talk about humidity
Old 27th July 2005
Gear Nut

damn.

damn that's hot. remember to drink.
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

Here's one for you...

We're going to Palm Springs (desert near LA... near Death Valley) on Tuesday ON VACATION! (Can you say free trip?!) What is the matter with us! I haven't looked at the weather lately, but it's got to be friggin' hot... course, it's been around 100°F around here lately. But yeah, dry heat.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search