The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
quitting smoking
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

quitting smoking

who has quit smoking in the recent past? did it feel like you got f**king bronchitis? did you have migraines? how about puking every other minute?

i sure do.

blah

-> tutt =
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

the windshield of life used to be 5 feet away, now its right up in my face !

i'm quitting right now
2 1/2 months - this time
i 've done it lotsa times
talked about it alot
never posted about it before right now

it's a whole new thing!!!!!
it's horrible!!!!!!! pains in the stomach every day horrible!!!!!!
i cry
i breathe at varying velocities - i gotta do this alot
i try to feel ok about it
and its great to feel clean,
but it makes me feel and see everything -

the windshield of life used to be four feet from
here
now its right up in my face!!!!!!!

my only real friend is gone.............

good luck
don't smoke

be well
- jack
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

IME,

After close to 20 years, it'll be 2 yrs. gone for me this coming Oct. I had none of the problems most seem to face, except craving withdrawal, but luckily that was pretty short. I know I'm the anomaly with quitting, and not to be preachy, but: get out and do some exercise - DAILY. Clear your head, and get your pulse up - it can, and will do wonders. Got a pet? Take it for exercise with you EVERY DAY. Walks, cycling, rollerblading, jogging, Xcountry/downhill skiing, etc. etc. etc. Make the time, and I guarantee YOU'LL FEEL LIKE YOU HAVEN'T SINCE YOU STARTING SMOKING!

What you'll find on the other side will make smell, taste, and feel a whole lot better than where you're coming from...

I wish for all smokers that are in the process of quitting the very best with getting through this - trust me, I KNOW! You, and your loved ones will never be able to thank you enough in doing this for yourself!

Best regards,
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

i quit seven month ago. it was more easy then i thougt. think of it like you buying some gear. you have to pay a price, then you get something. now after a few month i know it was a pretty cheap deal.
Old 13th July 2005
Gear Addict

Hi Pumadrum,

Been smoking quite heavily for 15 years, but I'm clean for almost three years now.
You'll start feeling better after a week, just hang in there.
I really can't imagine smoking two packs of Malboro a day anymore.
That whole thing about taste and smell I don't experience myself, but I do feel a lot fresher. Just be careful with your diet. I gained fifteen kilo's

Cheers, Julian
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

Plughead makes a salient point - if you get some exercise, the dopameine will help compensate for the lack of nicotine - not only that, but exercise will make you realise why you want to quit.

I quit around 3 yrs ago, and am now addicted to running in the park :-)

BTW, don't use the nicotine gum - lozenges or inhaler if you must, but I'm convinced the gum is bad news.

Justin
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

6 weeks ago here. It got easier after 1 week. Since then it's pretty much been the same. Waiting for the next phase to make it less of a struggle. I do find that exercise relieves some of the symptoms.

Best of luck and high spirit to the rest of you kicking the habit.

Pete
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

pumadrum,

You've made an awesome decision. Hang in there and life will be so much better when you're clean. I quit two years ago and my girlfriend quit last year and we never looked back.

I very highly suggest the drug ZYBAN (in case you didn't consider it, it is a anti-depressant drug that has to be prescribed)

I NEVER could have quit without it - I took it for about three weeks and it really helps to dull the anger, irritability, and rage.
Old 13th July 2005
member no 666

I'm on my 5th or 6th go around with stopping... I won't say that I've "quit" until I hit like 5 years... but here I am taking another stab at it.

One thing I've noticed when I stop is that it feels like a bus parked on my chest. The first time it really weirded me out... I mean I'd been smoking for well over 20 years and my lung felt great... I stop and I've got like chest pains from hell.

They pass.

The other thing is that you get into kind of a fog for like the first week... forget ****, get distracted easily... it's all part of the withdrawal process.

After like the first week, you're pretty well de-toxed... now you have to work on redoing your habits. You're also going to find a ton of time on your hands where you would normally have lit a cigarette. Find something else to do with the time. You can still take the breaks but use them for like catching up on magazine **** you haven't read or dumbass posts on web forums, etc.

The real bitch of the beast is when you find yourself in quasi-stressful situations where you knew you could rely on smoking as a comfort zone thing... like for me it's trade shows. I hate the fukking things but have to go to them... so I'll have a couple of drinks which directly leads to wanting a smoke. The thing is to avoid those kinds of situations for a few months until you've been able to rebuild routines that don't revolve around cigarettes.

Best of luck with it bro... and if you don't get it the first time... maybe the time after that, or the time after that, or the time after that...

Peace.
Old 13th July 2005
C/G
Lives for gear

3 1/2 years smoke free here. I am glad to say I am not sucking the nicotine dick anymore! I tried cold turkey twice. Almost worked the second time but I just finished writting a 23 page Anthropology term paper and I snapped. I went on Zyban the third time and it worked like a charm. It did not twek me out like some of my friends. Only drawback is Zyban is an anti-depressant. I was not depressed before I took it but it really made me not give a crap about anything. My room mate could have told me the house was on fire and I probably would have said "Oh well". I noticed a difference in a week. After about two solid weeks of coughing up lung rockets I felt like a million bucks. No more wheezing climbing multiple flights of stairs. I could not go to the bar for a while since everyone was smoking. Finally there are no smoking bylaws here now for restaurants, bars, public places ect. No more stinky clothes after a gig is a bonus too. Although I still crave cigarettes, I don't freak out and cave in. Hang in there brother!
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

thanks for the support guys!!

i need to start exercising anyway. thanks for the tips.
Old 13th July 2005
C/G
Lives for gear

Forgot to mention that when you quit smoking you tend to substitute food for cigipops. I gained 10 pounds that I have not been able to drop (curse you Doritos!!). Stay away from the snacks and drink a glass of water instead.
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

in regards to munchies - get a stockpile of carrots/celery etc, and chomp on them instead of junk - works wonders for filling the munchies, and is way better for the waist (even tho I'm the same weight as i was as a smoker, I'm 20 lbs heavier than I should be, even with reg. exercise, but I FEEL A MILLION TIMES BETTER THAN I LOOK... )

best to you all!
Old 14th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I quit smoking 3 years ago last march. I used the patch and it worked, but I have found that there are rules that must be adhered to in order to quit.

1) You must have tried to quit and failed - I mean earnestly tried, the point is to realize that withdraws from smoking sucks and you don't want to go through that again.

2) Quitting smoking SUCKS! - When you do it you can't go back, because you know you will just have to quit again and go through all the withdraw crap.

3) You must realize that there is no such thing as just 1 cig - If you put that one cig in your mouth you must go through the crap mentioned in rule 1 and 2, and you don't want that. So, its only logical to never smoke again.

Thats how I did it. I will never smoke again!
Old 14th July 2005
500 series nutjob

i smoked for 20 years quiet for three then started back ( stupid me ).
it too me another three years of off on on quitting starting quitting to finally kick it the last go around.
i have not had a smoke in four plus years now.
good luck
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

My friend quit for 2 month now he's on Patches, Im thinking of quitting every day ...must do it . I do gym with a PT (personal trainer rather heh ) 3 times a week and life is so much better .
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

The problem with quitting starts with your 'I know it's gonna be hard' attitude. That's wrong! Quitting is very easy once you realize that you don't NEED cigs. You only need cigs because you started the cycle of smoking -> getting withdrawal syndroms when you don't smoke (like when you sleep) ->smoking again to satisfy your craving.

My success in quitting (5 years now) was partly due to Allen Carr's 'Easy way' method. I always was VERY sceptical about such methods but I really worked and believe me, in the more distant past, I've tried to stop hundreds of times and never got past the 3-week mark.

It's all in the mind, it sounds like esoteric bull**** but it's true.

He made a beautiful comparsion when he said that smoking is like wearing shoes that are too small for your feet. You suffer through the day only to long for the moment you can take off the shoes and be relieved. When you start to smoke, you soon enter a scheme where it's all about 'relief', the cigarette becomes a symbol of 'leisure', 'relaxation', etc. It's all bull****, you don't need it.

Don't do the patches thing, that's a complete joke. Quitting while still 'injecting' nicotine, it doesn't make sense.

Good luck

Andi
Old 14th July 2005
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker
The problem with quitting starts with your 'I know it's gonna be hard' attitude. That's wrong! Quitting is very easy once you realize that you don't NEED cigs.

Andi
That was true in my case. I find it harder to curb my late night eating/junk food snacking habits than it was to quit smoking. I'll have to put little signs in the cupboard that say "fattie" on them to give me a reality check.
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

im already too fat. thank goodness ive started going to the gym.

my other handle on bbs is hedonismfantastic. i basically quit smoking because it got in the way of other vices (studio gear, drinking, *******ing, etc.)

cheers to those that have quit. lets all stay that way.
Old 14th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker
T

It's all in the mind, it sounds like esoteric bull**** but it's true.

Don't do the patches thing, that's a complete joke. Quitting while still 'injecting' nicotine, it doesn't make sense.
I agree with you that it is absolutely all in your mind, truer words have never been said. However, the patches worked great for me. No cravings at all or withdraws at all. Like I said above, over 3 years smoke free here.
Old 14th July 2005
500 series nutjob

i think it is mental as well, i quit when i reached a point where i wanted to badly enough.
i have a cousin that says he wants to quit, and has tried the patch's with no success.
i think you have to really want to, and stop finding excuses, like i got so sick i just had to have a smoke, or i got so heavy i felt it was unhealthy, so i had to start smoking to loose the extra weight.

weeeeeek.
it is very hard for some, the first time for me was a lot easier then the last ( which i must say was a bit of a struggle ).
Old 15th July 2005
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Gaucher
Forgot to mention that when you quit smoking you tend to substitute food for cigipops. I gained 10 pounds that I have not been able to drop (curse you Doritos!!). Stay away from the snacks and drink a glass of water instead.
I coupled stopping smoking with the Atkins diet thing... lost close to 50 lbs... radishes became the new potato chip in my world.

YMMV.
Old 16th July 2005
Lives for gear

I haven't smoked cigarettes since I was like 16, but I quit smoking pot about a year ago and I'll never touch it again because it gives me incredible anxiety now. It's weird though since I smoked it everyday, all day, for about 10 years and I could never quit for more than a couple of days until it made me start freaking out. I'm glad I quit though.
Old 16th July 2005
Gear Addict

Been three weeks here for me. I'm doing the patch thing. Some people call it a crutch and in some respects thats true but I much prefer the patch to smoking. Good luck!
Old 16th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobby12
I haven't smoked cigarettes since I was like 16, but I quit smoking pot about a year ago and I'll never touch it again because it gives me incredible anxiety now. It's weird though since I smoked it everyday, all day, for about 10 years and I could never quit for more than a couple of days until it made me start freaking out. I'm glad I quit though.
I know a few people with this problem now: seems the high causes anxiety attacks, and they've had to quit toking as a result. Luckily I've never experienced this, but have really toned back on grass as a result of having kids, and taking the career more seriously...

best with it - if you don't miss it, it ain't really a problem!
Old 24th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I quit smoking when I was sick back in march (on st. patties day actually). I only had one cig left in my pack when I woke up that morning and knew that I was coming down with something. I knew that if I smoked it, I'd have to buy another pack, and later that night at 3am i'd be standing outside in the rain smoking with a 100+ degree fever. Pretty stupid.

I have to say that if you're sick, that's a pretty good time to quit, especially if you work while you're sick (which you pretty much have to in this business). You won't notice the withdrawls, because you feel crappy already. I basically quit cold turkey that way and it really wasn't that hard. It sounds silly, but it is an alternative to the counter-intuitive methods like patches and gum. I did get sick again later, though. But I'm totally done with it now. It feels great! Encouragement to all who want to quit or are trying!
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Maniac

In September, it'll be a year of not smoking for me. Unlike many who started when they were teenagers and have a legitimate excuse ("hey, I was young and stupid"), I started when I was 26 - just socially while drinking, then soon it was every day, and then I went on tour with my band and became a committed smoker, you know, rock and roll and all that.

I quit using the patch and it worked great. The thing I liked about the patch is that when I put it on in the morning, I knew I wouldn't be able to smoke that day. If I had a cigarette with the patch on, I'd risk getting sick/nauseaus (too much nicoteen). If I wanted to have a smoke, I knew I'd have to take the patch off and wait a couple of hours for the nicoteen level to go down, and well, that's just too much time to wait.

One thing about the patch is that it made me REALLY cranky in the mornings for about a month. My wife was understanding, under the circumstances, but I was a real bear.

I remember thinking when I quit that maybe I could get to the point where I'd just have a smoke from time to time when out partying with friends, but after not doing it for so long, the thought of it now really grosses me out.

The other thing that helped me a lot was excercise. I was doing martial arts and I'd go to 5 or six classes a week for that first couple of months of quitting. It helped me get the rage/anger/irritability I was feeling out in a more constructive way.

Good luck!

-KD03
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Well I'm in college right now and i quit smoking. But otoh i was only smoking in highschool and that was 3 years for me. Believe it or not, I had a pretty hard time quitting smoking after just smoking for 3 years.

I still get cravings now and then when i get stressed out over anything, but they are more manageable.

I had to quit cold turky because all that nicorette bs just made me want to smoke more, etc. However if you've been a hardcore smoker it may help you.......i dunno.

In summer i quit because i didn't have school and had an easy part time job and not too much stress. So quitting smoking was alot easier than if i had been under stress. After two straight months of no cigarettes.... i felt i had completely quit. I fell of the wagon twice since, but that's it.

I can say i've officialy quit.

Good luck man!
Old 29th July 2005
Dot
Lives for gear

I didn't start smoking until I was almost 20. From there I made up for lost time by smoking two packs a day for 20 years. 7 of those years were in Denmark where packs were going for $6 a pop, making my monthly smoking overhead nearly $400.

I smoked more than anyone I knew. If I was in a heavy work period I had days where I blew through three packs. If I can quit - anyone can quit. Finally got sick of smoking while I was driving a few years ago and let out a big cough that almost caused me to lose consciousness at the wheel. Big wake up call. Quit in Nov of '02, so I'm around the 2 1/2 year mark. I'm still chomping on nicotine gum. Have had no cravings at all.

One of the big things that helped me - besides the gum - was that I cut some drinking straws to the length of cigarettes and carried them around for awhile. I'd puff on them and hold them in my hand just like cigarettes. There are a lot of physical mannerisms and even breathing patterns associated with smoking. I was able to put the straws away after about 6 months, but they were a huge help when I needed them.

When I was finally ready to quit smoking it was fairly easy for me, because I knew I was going to quit and never had those internal conversations with myself about "just having one". I quit with the help of a support group, Freedom From Smoking sponsored by the American Lung Association. http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=22931&

Good luck to anyone here who wants to be free from smoking. Stopping smoking has also opened a lot of doors for me. I don't think I realized how much stinking like burnt ass and having to run out for smoke breaks affected my relationships with people and how I was perceived. The whole view of smoking has really changed in the last 10 years or so, and people who smoke are held back from a lot of good things in life more than they realize.
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

Its great to see a quit smoking thread...I quit 3 months ago..tobacco and weed after 26 years of tobacco and a few years of weed induced anxiety.
I realised I would have to quit tobacco as well as weed as I would simply lean on the roll ups to much.
I used an NHS stop smoking group for seven weeks and still have some gum left.
The gum has helped (Nicotinell 4mg and now 2mg nicotine content)
Life in the studio is different..I used to reach for something to smoke all the time..I am surprised I quit and am pleased with the results.
Better for the studio..better for me!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search