The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
quitting smoking
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear
[/QUOTE]
7 of those years were in Denmark where packs were going for $6 a pop, making my monthly smoking overhead nearly $400.[/QUOTE]

In Alberta Canada the price of name brand smokes is now almost $10.00 CDN - so you're looking at >3000.00 a year at a pack a day.

[/QUOTE]
One of the big things that helped me - besides the gum - was that I cut some drinking straws to the length of cigarettes and carried them around for awhile. I'd puff on them and hold them in my hand just like cigarettes.[/QUOTE]

The first time I tried to quit I sucked on Tootsie Pops and ended up with all my back teeth needing root canals after 6 months.

[/QUOTE]
When I was finally ready to quit smoking it was fairly easy for me, because I knew I was going to quit and never had those internal conversations with myself about "just having one". [/QUOTE]

I agree - think a lot of us who have quit feel the same way - they just know it's time to quit.

[/QUOTE]
I quit with the help of a support group, Freedom From Smoking sponsored by the American Lung Association. http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=22931&[/QUOTE]

Excellent resource

[/QUOTE]
The whole view of smoking has really changed in the last 10 years or so, [/QUOTE]

No s*** sherlock (pardon the slang) but the smoker is DEFINITELY the outcast nowadays. They are legislating anti-smoking and have literally banned it from everywhere in our city. I do feel sorry for those who still smoke as they are over-taxed by a system that has no compromise and no compassion for a highly addictive legal substance.

Have a great day!
Old 10th August 2005
A33
Gear Addict

after a few months of quitting i was able to upgrade to a G5!!
Scary how quickly the cash adds up
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

Man, I wish you all the luck in the world if you can hang in there.
I've been smoking since I was 14 and I still do............tried to quit several times but I still come back.
If I had quit 10 yrs ago I would have had enough capital to start my company 2 times over.

I didn't have what you are going thru and the longest I went was 2 months.

You should see a Dr for help and get a full exam while your there.

My Dr busted my butt for 20yrs and gave me all the stuff in the world to help me but you know what really helped?
Was acupuncture................no kidding.
The draw back was it only lasts a few days and you have to go back for more needles and when they see you coming in the second time they really jam thoses puppies in ya.
So now you're hooked on a guy with needles instead of smoking.

I still smoke and regret it everytime I light up.......which is more than I care to say.

But if you can do it and stay clean then maybe you can come to my place and be the smoking police for me. heh

I wish you nothing but the best and I think the pain will go away after awhile but still go and see the Dr.

Take care

Peter Montessi
Old 12th August 2005
Jai guru deva om

I know several folks who have quit smoking in the last few years due to acupuncture. There's a good guy in this town that all 3 of the guys I know that went there have quit and stayed quit.

Peter, maybe you should try acupuncture again?

War
Old 12th August 2005
jordan19
skilled acupuncturists can treat nearly any "dis-ease" to a great extent... and neutralize your health back to where it should be. eastern medicine is fascinating... the study of chi and the meridian channels in the body...

you just gotta make sure you've got a good acupuncturist not some hack wannabe. in order for it to work the needles have to be like, no further than 4mm away from specific points in the body... or something like that. whatever it is, the precision is pretty amazing.
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Addict

I decided to quit before I turned 30. Before last year, I was going to quit, but then I got turned on to Nat Sherman MCD's and I love them. I've got 6 more months left smoking, let hope I can do it.
Old 13th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by A33
after a few months of quitting i was able to upgrade to a G5!!
Scary how quickly the cash adds up
Well, I am spending nearly $20 a day on fine Belgian ales now...
Old 13th August 2005
Gear Addict

DC11~!
NAT SHERMANS....hahahha...KEN SCHALK!!!
Durv
Old 13th August 2005
Gear Addict

I think I might know you. I was the guitar player for Candiria filling in for Eric.
Old 15th August 2005
Gear Addict

Actually i dont KNOW you....but i know of you.
I stopped going on the road with them after the SHADOWSFALL tour...just wasnt into it among other things.
But i KNOW them Nat Shermans!...hahaha...Ken used to diss on my fly-ass NEWPORTS straight up with a heineken! I'm done though. no more.
I didnt know you had your own studio in LA! that sick!
i live in Baltimore MD....lovely.
quit them smokes! cuz you cant quit cancer.
Durv
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quitting smoking is easy. I quit three times a week. I stopped buying cigs, so I started bumming from the bands. Then, I came up with the idea...

As soon as they would walk in, I would say, "If I ask you for a smoke, I will give you $100".

That seemed to have worked. No smoke is worth that much scratch. I have not had one in a week.
Old 2nd September 2005
tee
Gear Nut

I'm in the throes of the 1st couple of days of nicotine withdrawal. It's truly an addiction man. Anyway, I've found a good resource with some factual and motivational info, if it helps anyone else.

www.whyquit.com

good luck to all recent quitters

Tony
Old 2nd September 2005
Lives for gear

i'm smoking like a fiend after 3 1/2 months away.......it's stupid...it sucks
don't smoke.... i've got to go through all the hell another time...soon...

if you're not smoking stay there.....

be well, good luck

look at pictures of people with oxygen
feeds in those little carts.....
it's not real sexy......

- jack
Old 2nd September 2005
Lives for gear

I quit about three years ago. I used nicotine patches and wellbutrin for about two months. It wasn't too fun, but I'm glad I did it. Good luck.
Old 3rd September 2005
Lives for gear
I smoked when I was a teenager and quit.

I started smoking again after the Oklahoma City bombing. I forget when I quit this last time.

However, my feeling is that to quit you need to change your lifestyle. I did it cold turkey. I also stopped hanging out with my friends who smoked. I don't go to places where people smoke. I tried to avoid any social setting or behavior which I associated with smoking.

I wish anyone luck in trying to quit. Cigarettes tend to be more addicting than heroin according to my doctor friends who deal with addiction.

I found the drinking lots of water helped with the lungs adapting to a smoke free life. I know a lot of people suffer through some serious gastric upset when quitting smoking. They say you can get nicotine free in a week. However, to me, it seemed that I'd feel nicotine seeping out of some place in my body and giving me that nicotine feeling at times for up to six weeks after my last smoke.

The worst side effects I've experienced from quitting anything is when I stopped drinking caffeinated drinks on a daily basis (actually several times a day). It was far and away the worst headache ever. For about two months afterward I felt like I was on downers all the time. I never realized how much of a boost caffeine can give.
Old 3rd September 2005
Gear Addict

I smoked for about ten years and stopped.
Smoking is a desease that is easily cured buy quiting
the desease you get from smoking is awfull
Your reward for quiting is life, and other people's happiness that you are around
I have lost lots of family to cancer, foremost my father
I only wish my wife would stop smoking
smoking sucks, and your reward for quiting is life, and the life of those around you

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search