The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Ungrateful [email protected]$tz
Old 12th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Ungrateful [email protected]$tz

Hi all,

Im recodin a bands demo, as a favour, no money involved (im not a pro,this is just a hobby for me)just 3 songs,ska band-8 piece!
We tracked the drums in one day & have taken an eternity to do everything else over the last month durin the evenings here & there, cos members of the band arnt making themselves available when they should be
I didnt mind giving up my time as its somthing i liked doing, im still not free everyday of the week though!! But theyre startin to moan,ON THE INTERNET,to other people (ive seen a 'Blog') saying that 'the recording is proving to be a bit of a pain'(i was convinced i was doing them a favour) & now,the drumboy rings me yesterday (u can tell this is where i lost it) saying that they want their songs MIXED by this friday (never mind the fact that some Gtr's & a loada vocals still havnt been finished!?!?!)

I feel now,that because of their attitude, dfegad i should have nothing to do with them,but maybe doing that might justify the comment they made on the internet

How would you deal with this??
Old 12th July 2005
Lives for gear

No good deed goes unpunished.

People tend to interpret value based on costs. Since your service is free, it has no (apparent) value.

I would explain that you are donating your time and equipment but only at your convenience. If this is unacceptable to them, then they can pay for and thus 'buy' your time and priority.

Additionally, I would come up with a nice figure in the area of $50-150 per hour for this option. I would imagine this will speed things along, nicely.

Good Luck.
Old 12th July 2005
I had my feelings hurt once when I saw a note the artist I was working with left for some friends mid project - but the record turned out great..

I liken the studio to a blacksmiths - lots of heat, lots of noise - but what comes out of it is worthwhile.... you cant blame the horse for not enjoying the process of getting a new pair of shoes fitted can you?
Old 12th July 2005
Lives for gear

It's a tough situation... particularly from an outsiders view.

I dont me to pass any premature judgements, but as a composer i've always had the rule of; don't collaborate with people who say they'll do it for free because it will never get done. Doesn't matter what it is, it usually ends up not being finished simply because it was free work provided.

It's probably happening at both ends. They are getting it for free so they have no problem dicking you around. You are doing it for free, so timeframe isn't concrete - you'll work at your own pace.

1 month is a long time to track three songs. Tell them what you need for the demo to be finished by a certian date. Whether it be specific instruments on certian days or time to mix alone. Try and get atleast one of the songs finished so the band has something to listen too while you work on the others. If the band is unorganised and unpracticed and completely unwilling to co-operate, get rid of them.

Time management is a must if its going to move forward. It's your studio... lay down the law.
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

"People tend to interpret value based on costs"

this is so true. i have been trying to find film makers that need underscoring composed. i have found a few, but none seem to follow through on even finishing their movie.

bands too!! when i did my first project, i put months into preproduction (the act sounded a little like death cab for cutie) only to have them want to sound like the album leaf by the time i was done. was a load of garbage.

on the same note, a flat fee recording setup didnt work either. my current project is $400 per song on a three song recording that is taking far too long (can we redo all the drums they arent "bonham" enough? no, you can't)

arghh
Old 13th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Thanks for your replys!I had a chat with the lads last nite about their blog,& everybody was apologetic! They explained that they were refering to THEMSELVES in the blog,being pissed at some members of the band not getting their **** together!!

I do realise now that all sessions have their downsides at one point!What was good about all the advice i was given here, was that its pointless to abandon a project just because everything doesnt go acordin to plan,most of you stick it out & have your own methods of dealing with the downs that can happen,rather than run away(which is the easy way out)
A Person can know how to work every bit of gear available,but for me its about learning how to work with people,& im definatly still tryna find my ways!!

Old 13th July 2005
Quote:
for me its about learning how to work with people
Ah! You are learning!

I wish I'd cottoned on to that earlier than I did.

Also, great post & great analogy Jules.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search