The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Audio is going downhill
Old 7th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Audio is going downhill

the sound quality of music continues to go downhill... mp3s have taken over and they don't sound great. satellite radio (both xm and sirius) sound like hell. podcasts sound like satellite radio which sounds like hell. even cds are getting worse and worse due to mastering engineers crushing everything to death so they can keep their jobs. all the while vintage gear keeps going up, up and away in price....
Old 7th July 2005
Lives for gear

mp3 multitrack recorders!!!!
mp3 masters!!!!
hail the blind optometrist!!!!
Old 7th July 2005
Lives for gear

And the audio industry is going downhill because there are too many whinging and bitching people... i swear every second engineer on the planet spends a large percentage of there day rolled up in the fetal position quietly sobbing over the "golden age" of recording.

Dude, deal with it. Everyone else is.
Old 7th July 2005
Gear Maniac

why so bitchy at me ziggy? this is the "moan zone" after all!
Old 7th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy!!
And the audio industry is going downhill because there are too many whinging and bitching people... i swear every second engineer on the planet spends a large percentage of there day rolled up in the fetal position quietly sobbing over the "golden age" of recording.

Dude, deal with it. Everyone else is.

Really?...the audio industry is going downhill because people in the audio industry are upset that the "audio" is not up to par?
Old 7th July 2005
There is only one

i dont think the golden age of recording has happened yet...

i think the golden age of musicians has happened... thats why im in the corner with a pipe.
Old 7th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by indie
Really?...the audio industry is going downhill because people in the audio industry are upset that the "audio" is not up to par?
No its because people are fixated on where audio has been...

Technology doesn't develop over night... and the portable audio "fad" is very new compared to a lot of other things such as CD technology and digital audio. Hell, digital audio conversion has been around for 2 decades and the need for improvement is still there, and still happening. Yet relatively new technology is meant to be fully developed and ready to go? doesn't quite work like that. Even as we speak "lossless" audio compression is being developed to try and solve the reduction in audio quality. Just like the shampoo commercial "it won't happen over night, but it will happen". Man didn't walk on the moon in one day, and i doubt people will be carrying 1000's of songs on a device the size a smokes pack with great quality audio in an instance either.

Meanwhile there are more people enjoying music than ever before... It is everywhere, on the bus, walking down the sidewalk. People now have greater access to a larger variety of styles, genres and artists then they ever have had before... remember music? the thing you feel in love with which ultimately pushed you into your current career? It is more alive than ever. I guess it proves that audio quality is pretty irrelevant to your average consumer. Maybe they are to busy enjoying the musical content instead of the sound of the reverb on the snare.

Alphajerk you are obivously implying that there is a lack of musical talent compared to say 30, 40, 50 years ago? Revolutionary? maybe. But Modernism can only go on for so long. I encounter talented musicians everyday... they are everywhere. Just because they don't desire the spotlight and a rockstar life style doesn't mean they don't exist. You're just not looking hard enough. Im sure many people will agree with me.

I have always noticed a level of hypocrisy regarding mastering. An AE will complain that everything is to compressed one minute, yet send out some tracks to get smashed the next... I guess that is the state of audio engineering in this current day and age... You have to walk the tight rope of highly compressed, "copycat" sound and image and if you try to be somewhat original in your work by stepping of the tight rope you get yelled at by the rest of tight rope walkers.

Everyone is whinging and bitching, yet they are to busy walking the tight rope. How about fixing that stale old every mans production technique first. Originality is what made the 60's, 70's and to some degree the 80's a great era to be in the recording industry. People doing things differently production wise from everyone else... It seems like its against the rules now. Audio quality was a pretty mute cause.

The evolution from shellac records to mircogroove vinyl was made to lengthen play times and increase durability, 8 track to allow for continuous playback, CDs were introduced in fear of an oil shortage (vinyl is oil refining by-product) caused by civil war in the middle east, cassettes... well... minidisc? mp3's? all of them, from the upgrade of shellac to current mp3's weren't about improving audio quality but to keep your average consumer happy. Easier to obtain, smaller to carry, longer or continuous play times to allow more music enjoyment and less disk changing. Like i said, audio quality on a comsumer level is a pretty mute cause and alway has been. Its business, it follows the rules of economics and marketing. Easy access, portability, durability, etc are priorities.

Instead of whinging about things that probably won't change because a minority group wants them to change, how about changing something that you actually can and develop some production originality.

People are so hung up on the assumed flaws of the industry that there life and career must be terribly depressing. Instead of whinging and bitching about what should be, try and enjoy what actually is. You might find it is not so bad.

Go and make some music.
Old 7th July 2005
Gear Addict

Its the delivery system stoopid....

This is directed at no one in particular and everyone in general including me...the ability for talented people to get their **** really heard( and there are still many) is busted,broken,shattered and hijacked by morons in high places who care not one wit for musicians or music.As long as that reality holds sway originality and risk taking will be in the bend over position.I can remember in the late 60's musicians would look on in horror if someone they knew was stealing some other cats **** (chops) but now we've come 180 degrees to WOW you sound just like____________ thats so cool.What the hell are people thinking anymore?
Old 7th July 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy!!

Meanwhile there are more people enjoying music than ever before... It is everywhere, on the bus, walking down the sidewalk. People now have greater access to a larger variety of styles, genres and artists then they ever have had before... remember music? the thing you feel in love with which ultimately pushed you into your current career? It is more alive than ever. I guess it proves that audio quality is pretty irrelevant to your average consumer. Maybe they are to busy enjoying the musical content instead of the sound of the reverb on the snare.
More people enjoying music than ever? I dunno, I guess it depends how you define enjoying. People don't seem to listen to music the same way that they used to. There was a time when they really sat down and listened! This is what is missing today. You are lucky if they give you three minutes. The reduced expectation of quality is not surprising.

But I think this is just a side effect of today's busy lifestyle. Between the computers, cellphones, and the other "modern conveniences", it is a wonder a person has time to take a s**t.
Old 7th July 2005
There is only one

no, there are still good musicians around but there are becoming fewer of them. but what do you expect. the schools cut programs. the labels cut artists. there really is no education anymore in regards to music and to throw gas on the fire, there are many competing activities now.

its just that society is changing.
Old 7th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajerk
no, there are still good musicians around but there are becoming fewer of them. but what do you expect. the schools cut programs. the labels cut artists. there really is no education anymore in regards to music and to throw gas on the fire, there are many competing activities now.

its just that society is changing.

Sad but true.
Old 8th July 2005
Lives for gear

Im not sure there are any less good musicians, here in Australia music is still taught for 10 years of childrens 12 year education before the real world or university and im sure its like that in quite a few other countries. I just think it is become more diluted with bad musicians.

Sounds Great, no they probably don't listen to music the same way they use to, but then again the world is far different from what it use to be as you pointed out...

This thread is starting to have many similarities to "the future is fake" thread.
Old 8th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I don't mind so much that the quality of recording is going downhill. I mean, I still cringe when I hear a poorly mixed, or overly compressed (every damn song now) recording, but I want to know when the songwriting itself will improve. Music has taken such strange turns in the past few years that it's a struggle for me to find something that I truly enjoy. Is anyone with me on this? I'm not whining, I'm just upset that this has happened. I would trade the perfect mix on a crappy song, for the worst mix on the most beautiful song anyday.
Old 8th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I used to enjoy hip hop. I mean real stuff like common and talib kweli and the roots and j5, back when the beats were constructed by people with real musical skill. Nowadays, it seems like all that matters are the drums in a hip hop song. Any kid can go buy an mpc and a few hip hop sample packs and throw any sampled, out of key instrument parts over a "phat" beat and get famous. I listen to rap music now and it's all so abstract, but not in a squarepusher, mind-altering way, but in a just messy way.
Old 10th July 2005
Lives for gear

Atleast it has got to the point with things such as Pro-Tools and other afordable- what some might call "home recording systems" that some people claim "make anyone an audio engineer"-- where you can tell the difference in recording quality between some random sketch bag that plays guitar in a band called Razzor on the weekends who has cubase on his IBM in his basement...and a real engineers recordings.

Aswell i think people do still sit down and listen to music....Its called jazz....and im sure i could list a few more
Old 10th July 2005
There is only one

i dont think audio recording has gone downhill at all. just put on a VU or MC5 or iggy album and compare and contrast...
Old 10th July 2005
Lives for gear

the situation also has caused a polarization that is not always bad -
people are very passionate and excited about working on tape - both the engineers and the artists - it is clearly a choice -
and almost every artist i've worked with this year is working hard to have their releases
lovingly released on vinyl.............

funhouse sounded great on vinyl last night...............

be well

- jack
Old 15th July 2005
when i was a student at berklee (and i thought i knew it all then just like i do now), i saw sir george martin speak. he gave a multi-media presentation on the making of sgt. pepper's.

outside of sheer enlightenment, the audience was able to ask questions at the end.

one prod/eng student like myself stood up and asked "what was it, in your mind, that made the beatles so amazingly successful?"

sir george martin said "the songs... nothing else".

tape, vinyl, slow-tools, whatever....

what scares me most is that the songs aren't there today. at all.

i'm good at what i do, and i make the best records i can; but there's only so much you can do with "oh baby, baby...".

*sigh*
Old 15th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Music only goes down hill when I am taking a break from it. heh heh heh
Old 15th July 2005
Motown legend

In general, music HAS gone way downhill since I was a kid.

This is because there aren't remotely as many decent paying jobs available for musicians. This has led to people who might have pursued careers as musicians or songwriters in 1960 turning to better paying professions today.

Yes, they still have just as much talent but no, they aren't as good today as they would have been in an earlier era because they aren't performing or writing music full time.
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Head

Your right travista00 satellite radio does not sound good at all(I just got a new SUV with Sirius) , it sounds like digital crunch to me especially talk radio , terrible . Why?
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajerk
thats why im in the corner with a pipe.
a hash pipe perhaps???
Old 23rd July 2005
There is only one

Quote:
Originally Posted by µ¿ z3®ø™
a hash pipe perhaps???

that would be a bong.

and man, i havent had hash in YEARS.... i havent even come across it in years.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search