The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
I'm losing touch with the music scene!
Old 6th July 2005
Unhappy I'm losing touch with the music scene!

hmmm

While I am fairly glad to see the back of the Emo / Screamo music scene here in the UK, the New 80's scene that folowed it isn't really my bag...

Perhaps it's all sh!t and I am just holding out for the 'good stuff'

or losing my touch..

At least I have a 23 year old and a 17 year old working for me...

They can keep track - while I er.... 'lose it'

Old 6th July 2005
There is only one

as long as emo dies a horrible death i dont care aobut much else. honestly the WORST genre to ever exist... id rather listen to disco. what is wrong with these kids?!?
Old 6th July 2005
Gear Guru

What is emo?
Old 6th July 2005
There is only one

be glad you dont know.
Old 6th July 2005
Lives for gear

are there older things that are close to emo ?
things that i might know ?
i'd feel more comfortable
hating something i'm familiar
with.....
Old 7th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajerk
as long as emo dies a horrible death i dont care aobut much else. honestly the WORST genre to ever exist... id rather listen to disco. what is wrong with these kids?!?
what's wrong with disco ? I like disco : ) ? Yeah.. I always wanted to know what EMO was ? would creed fit the EMO definition ?
Old 7th July 2005
Old 7th July 2005
jordan19
emo is one of those overly-collective terms. Dashboard Confessional is TRUE emo I suppose... these whiny wounded oh-woe-is-me type stuff.

But then there are emo bands that I listen to that's just like "wtf IS this?!??"

Brit-pop still holds the gems in the music scene today. But I don't mind this 80s come-back thing. The Killers are near-perfect pop songwriters. They may be more style than raw talent, but Mr. Brightside had some of the catchiest hooks I've heard in a longggg time.
Old 7th July 2005
Lives for gear

thank you jules,

i am only familiar with bright eyes as an intern bought me a vinyl version
of one of his records. i like a little bit of it, but was aggravated by most of it....

emo i assume is short for emotional.............

marvin gaye is one of my favourite singers; he was emotional.....
is marvin emo?

perhaps i'm all wrong, but i thought emotion was sort of a prerequisite to the whole
thing............

- jack
Old 7th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaidsroom
perhaps i'm all wrong, but i thought emotion was sort of a prerequisite to the whole
thing............

- jack
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo
Old 7th July 2005
There is only one

Quote:
Originally Posted by De chromium cob
dont know if i buy that definition... the term that born out of that scene was typically "straight-edge"... and i dont remember that term existing in that scene at the time [maybe silver sonya can clarify that] when i lived in that area during those years and went to some of those shows... of course i wasnt "straight edge" so maybe i wasnt some dumb "emo kid". back then it was pretty much hardcore or punk.... i didnt hear of EMO till MANY years later defining the crop of bands in the past decade that are just a bunch of whiny twits with guitars who deserve to be beaten to a pulp.
Old 7th July 2005
Gear Guru

Emo=MFB [Music For Bedwetters] dfegad
Old 7th July 2005
There is only one

screamo is definatley the worst of the lot... makes you really start to want to hear singing in rock music.
Old 7th July 2005
Gear Guru

So THIS is what emo looks like?
Old 7th July 2005
Lives for gear

ewwww
'Music for bedwetters' pretty much put the genre in perspective for me. For a moment I thought emo was hair band ballads with a 21st century touch.
Old 7th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I live in Hazleton, Pennsylvania, where emo is the "in-thing". Every band that gets put together under the ages of 30 are emo or screamo bands. I hate emo in any form it comes in. I love the oh-so-stupid excuse people use when i call emo shi**y. Their response, "Actually emo is really good and you'd like it, but the music you hear is called femo, it stands for feminine emo" I want to smack every tight-pants wearing, hair to one side styling, whiny bi**h who tells me this. It all sucks regardless! The thing that I hate is how not only does the music suck, but the style is sad at best. It's the popular thing to do in my area now, and every cheerleader or preppy kid all of a sudden has a teen angst problem, and hates the world, and dresses like a ******. For some strange reason, it's considered cool, or "hardcore" to slit your wrists. Spare me people. It also seems to be a requirment to have x's at the beggining and end of your screen-name to show that you are "straight edge" I DESPISE YOU EMO! GRR!
Old 7th July 2005
There is only one

femo.... lmfao. now THAT is funny.

ZalphajerkZ [thats crooked edged]
Old 7th July 2005
Gear Addict

exaaaactly so

thing............

TRUER WORDS HAVE NEVER BEEN SPOKEN....THIS IS A PRIME EXAMPLE OF ADULTS TRYING TO RE COUCH WHAT HAS ALWAYS BEEN; AS SOMETHING NEW AND FRESH IN THE MINDS OF YOUNGER LISTENERS WHEN THEY FULLY WELL KNOW HOW MUCH BULL**** IS LEAPING FROM THERE ASSES/MOUTHS.
Old 7th July 2005
Lives for gear

I don't know what emo is, but I hate it.
Old 7th July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan19
The Killers are near-perfect pop songwriters. They may be more style than raw talent, but Mr. Brightside had some of the catchiest hooks I've heard in a longggg time.
The melodic highpoint from Mr. Brightside is a rip from Soft Cells song - "Say Hello Wave Goodbye"

Go dig it out and see what you think.

Old 7th July 2005
Lives for gear
I'm quite sure that emo is not a genetic thing.
but it has become really a focus (among others) in white middleclass society, and that gives it BIG relevance!!
it is the way these people have been brought up, and how they perceive the world that surrounds them. so it should be interesting to the parents as well.
it is the high number of kids, that have been sucked into the emo thing, and still grows.
demographically they are all but outsiders or freaks, but personally opened eyes in the wrong moment and found themselves just to be like that..
synthesis of a reaction to reality plus an idea..

do they grow up in a habitat lacking all compassion, but with hardest competition, ruthless bullying, maximum contempt for any weaknesses...?

I think it is very cheap and a lack of consciousness, when just to hate and despise the emo crowd. they could be like the growing smoke on a hawaiian volcano..
and at least, without sheep there can't be no wolves! and do we want sheep to explode like they were nukes or volcanos?
Old 7th July 2005
Lives for gear

so Jimmy eat world is EMO?

I kinda dig em.

sue me.

and BTW, where I grew up, I always thought "EMO" was meant for baked potatoes:
Attached Images
I'm losing touch with the music scene!-imo.jpg 
Old 7th July 2005

Quote:
screamo is definatley the worst of the lot... makes you really start to want to hear singing in rock music.
ever checked out UK garage? or even better... grime.....
Old 7th July 2005
There is only one

nah, just american garage...

although another bad apple is NuMetal.... man that stuff blows. Glad the main of that has gone away.
Old 7th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolskid
ever checked out UK garage? or even better... grime.....
I don't know what garage or grime is, but the newer bands at the london live8 show killed the newer stuff happening in the US (philadelphia show).

MTV kept going back and forth, the UK blew everything american. Like it always have. What's up with the UK ? is it in the food ? the weather ?? : )
Old 7th July 2005
There is only one

i find the opposite... UK is always lacking behind america [and pretty much copying american bands, though usually not popular ones], course RIGHT NOW, that might not be the case....
Old 8th July 2005
There is only one

emo vs. the lightbulb

how many emos does it take to screw in a lightbulb..................

none because theyd rather sit in the dark and cry
Old 10th July 2005
Gear Addict

I don't know what you guys are bitchin' about, I love Brian Emo.

Z
Old 10th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
HA! Red House Painter, Low, and Sparkle Horse are some of the best bands of the last 10 years, Emo or not. If you haven't heard of these groups you have never heard Emo.

EDIT: Check out "The Walkman" if you want to get on the edge of a band about to explode.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search