The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Worst gear purchase?
Old 3rd December 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyman
Glad I got rid of...

Whirlwind splitter box.... What a piece of ****e. Some ********* Floor guy at Guitar Center Said "Yeah its a great spiltter box" My ass it is.....Used it for 1 day then wisely returned it. Sucked the tone out of everything. Lesson Learned..

Glad I purchased..
Little Labs STD - Best spitter box I ever used...
weird, I thought that whirlwind made good stuff. i have 50' snake of thiers that seems to sound fine. it's the Medusa 24 xlr inputs, 4 trs.

maybe i'll have to take a better listen.
Old 7th January 2006
Gear Maniac

Worst Purchase of the year: POD XT. Back to the SoldanoX88, Mesa 400 and Decuir cabs!
(Got the POD PRO, and this is much better)

2nd worse purchase: Apex 435 mics. Completely useless. Someone, anyone, please steal these from me.

Best Purchase: NEVE Portico 5012. This and a U87, is a dream come to life!
Old 7th January 2006
Here for the gear

Tascam 2488 - The Yugo of Recording Consoles

In short: don't even bother looking at a Tascam 2488 Digital Recording Console. In the store it looks like something you'd want to take home, but once you use it for real, it starts to do crazy things like sputtering the incoming audio signal and even locking you out of the system. I bought one about four months ago and it's already at Tascam's Shop. I gave them a whole shopping list of problems with this machine. Before my unit completely quit for good, three of the four cursor keys stopped working. Without the cursor keys, the 2488 is unuseable. Good thing it won't boot-up, because I was ready to hit it with a hammer.

Before buying this thing, you ought to check out this review I saw at: http://www.geocities.com/tascam_2488/index.html

The 2488 would've been nice to use as something to kick around when you're away from the studio, but the sound quality is not good enough for professional recordings. I would say that the sound is very grainy. The built-in effects are unusually noisy and not particularly realistic: especially the reverbs.

I've been noticing that a lot of people are having reliability problems with the 2488. How could anyone in their right mind award this thing the "Product of the Year 2004"? Obviously they didn't turn their test units on, because if they had, they would've noticed that most units don't function properly.

Don't bother with the 2488, it's crap. Check out something in the next price bracket...at least they're more reliable and have noticeably better sonic quality.
Old 7th January 2006
Lives for gear

Behringer MDX4400 Multicom
(4 channel compressor)

i was young, but all my other lofi gear was at least usable (RNC was the highlight of mysetup heh )
but this multi compressor was utterly useless.
Old 8th January 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandMixMeister
In short: don't even bother looking at a Tascam 2488 Digital Recording Console. In the store it looks like something you'd want to take home, but once you use it for real, it starts to do crazy things like sputtering the incoming audio signal and even locking you out of the system. I bought one about four months ago and it's already at Tascam's Shop. I gave them a whole shopping list of problems with this machine. Before my unit completely quit for good, three of the four cursor keys stopped working. Without the cursor keys, the 2488 is unuseable. Good thing it won't boot-up, because I was ready to hit it with a hammer.

Before buying this thing, you ought to check out this review I saw at: http://www.geocities.com/tascam_2488/index.html

The 2488 would've been nice to use as something to kick around when you're away from the studio, but the sound quality is not good enough for professional recordings. I would say that the sound is very grainy. The built-in effects are unusually noisy and not particularly realistic: especially the reverbs.

I've been noticing that a lot of people are having reliability problems with the 2488. How could anyone in their right mind award this thing the "Product of the Year 2004"? Obviously they didn't turn their test units on, because if they had, they would've noticed that most units don't function properly.

Don't bother with the 2488, it's crap. Check out something in the next price bracket...at least they're more reliable and have noticeably better sonic quality.

I can't say anything good about Tascam stuff. Just don't trust them anymore. My old DA78HR recorder still works fine but my DM24 mixer is history. I think they are using too much cheep labor and thier product line shows it.

-gary
Old 8th January 2006
Gear Nut

Not sure this exactly qualifies but when I bought my K2000 with the sampling option I spent $700 on 16 megs of ram. I never did get my money's worth on that one.
Old 8th January 2006
Lives for gear

WAVES WUP!!!
Old 8th January 2006
Here for the gear

worst purchase

Bitheadz Sessions ..

retro as1 synth and unity sa,pler worked fine under mas in OS9 . But Bitheadz never got it right for osx .
Old 8th January 2006
pan
Lives for gear

Worst gear purchase - not to mention 3 blackface ADATs and BRC:

Bought a 50 EUR DVD-player as replacement for my dead SONY CD-player at the Studio...

It sounds ****ty - it fades in on every track - it is dead slow when skipping tracks and reading the TOC - its just a plain PITA!!!!

Now I know why a CD-player costs about 6 times more than a DVD-player...

n
Old 8th January 2006
Gear Maniac

Behringer everything(headphone amp is okay I guess). I've owned their adat 8-channel pre, composer pro, a couple of mixers, and headphone amp. I'll give them credit for having a 24 channel mixer I could afford as a kid so that I could get started but really, they have to be seriously trying to make them sound like crap.

I agree on the Pentium 4 HT. That was a huge nightmare. Thank god for my dual opteron.

Mackie 16 track mixer

421 mic clip. I ****ing hate this thing and am forced to use it. WHY?!?!?!

Mesa dual rectifier "recording preamp". OH MY GOD, worst peice of gear ever. Returned days later. Not sure if it was broken, but the "Recording" output didn't even hold a candle to a ADA microcab. worthless.

Guitar Center cables

Presonus digital card for Eureka(sent me 3 of them, all were defective, so I gave up)

AKG C1000 and C2000

in fact, I'll go ahead and add the Eureka. Decent pre, okay comp, but loose as can be EQ. I can't sell for 1/2 what I paid.

I never bought an ADAT but the fact that people used them in real life recording situations absolutely blows my mind. I worked in a couple studios using them and couldn't help but to laugh at how it was obviously ruining the entire studio's sound quality and workflow.

"dbx 386 dual channel pre, to my ears it's as flat as a skunk crossing the highway." I found this one funny. I think the dbx386, while flat and not a headroom masterpeice, has been one of my most reliable good sounding peices of gear for 6 years. I certainly don't use it on things I want sparkle or bite on, but for some nice tame drum room mics or a nice warm vocal track they are a great peice of gear. the digital output on them sounds nice too which frees up 2 channels of analog A/D on my fireface.

I also see people hating on the e604 mics. Why? They do what they do great. I prefer the 904 now but the clips on them are great and the 5k spike they have is easily eqable out. works better than a 57 for me on toms.
Old 12th January 2006
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by djwayne
Don't worry boys and girls, it's all a bunch of crap, most of you will never be in the Beatles and have those screaming teenage girls chasing after you. That is why your "in the business", right ?? Groupies ????

Gee, if I only had "Blah, Blah Blah" I could be just like my favorite rock star, be rich and famous, wild parties, limo's........groupies......money.....

What a bunch of gold diggers.

All that expensive junk you bought don't mean nothing without a well written song. I've heard some really lousy music, that was so well produced, highly polished, "Blah Blah", but it sucked.....bigtime....on the otherhand, a great song sounds good even if recorded on a cassette machine.
HA HA!!!
Thanks for the laugh!
Old 12th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lapchick
behringer anything.
Here I go again...

You know, I'm sure you're right, but in fairness I have to say that the PowerPlay headphone amp I bought two years ago for $100 is working out just fine for me.

That said, I have a dinky ass home studio. And god knows I'm not recommending it -- maybe I got the one unity that works -- but I'm just saying.

Jasper
Old 16th January 2006
Lives for gear

This gets my vote for thread of the year.

Unfortunately, I've made so many strange gear choices after getting excited at a store or something... That I could probably write a book about it.

a (very) short list of some...

- Behringer tube eq (not sure of model # and didn't have any idea at the time, but was impressed with the lighted vu meters that didn't end up properly functioning)
I honestly don't know if I ever even used it on a track...

- Krk V8's (that I currently still own and hate, I'm not sure why anyone likes these to be honest... they just aren't my cup o' tea) At the store,... I was initially impressed by their loudness.

- Waaaaaaaay too many microphones to list.

ps: I reserve the right to make many more questionable gear choices in the near future in the name of "education". As long as I learn something from it... I often feel that I got my money's worth. The Behringer tube eq being one of the rare exceptions... I'm not sure I learned anything on that one.
Old 17th January 2006
Here for the gear

Johnson Millenium 250....oh yeah the tube in the preamp really made it sound exactly like a Vox AC30.

Groove Tubes GT-66. Looks good on paper, but not a fan at all......
Old 17th January 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaque

I never bought an ADAT but the fact that people used them in real life recording situations absolutely blows my mind. I worked in a couple studios using them and couldn't help but to laugh at how it was obviously ruining the entire studio's sound quality and workflow.
Well a lot of people would differ. Just because it sounded worse with your signal chain compared to tape/protools/whatever it doesn't mean it's bad. You just have to know how it sounds and get the sounds a little bit differently.

There is a ****load of records that have been produced on 16 bit or 20 bit ADATs and a lot of them sound fantastic. You might wanna check again the Jagged Little Pill By Alanis Morisette. Something like 15 million people that bought it think it sounds more than fine. Have you recorded anything that sounds better than that?

Ofcourse, I guess your name is not Glenn Ballard, so for you I guess ADATs are just wothless piece of junk. Don't knock something that doesn't work for you, but it's known to work for others.

But then again... you haven't bought it, so why would you list it in this thread?

Matej

P.S.
Oh yeah, that record was also mixed on a mackie board.... something you think sucks donkey ass...
Old 18th January 2006
Here for the gear

mine

1. DBX 160a
2. Motu 2408 mk2
3. ADAT
4. Tannoy Reveal active speaker
5. Rode NTK
6. Boss multi effectors (All of them)
Old 18th January 2006
Gear Maniac

Lexicon Core System (with the 19" modules)
never got it to work
stupid driver problems
Old 18th January 2006
Lives for gear

Maybe i just make careful purchases (or not enough purchases if you ask me) but worst thing i have is rack rails with holes that aren't all spaced at rack space distances... nothing like drilling extra holes in your threaded rack rail and putting on skb clips.
Old 19th January 2006
Lives for gear
There are a few "worst" purchases that I have made.
The one that stands out the most was an Aphex Compellor about 10 years ago.
I really tried being patient, and trying different settings.....I had heard that this was supposed to be a great mix buss compressor from a few dickheads at GC.
I even sent that thing back to Aphex to make sure that it was working right.
It was not very quiet, and hardly tranparent.
I dumped it on ebay a few years ago...
When I listen back to old recordings, I wish that I would have gotton rid of it sooner!
One more thing, I have a pair of NS-10's like many people do....I hate them.....how can you possibly make eq decisions from speakers that do not produce hardly any low end, and the mid highs are hyped???
I check the mix through them against the Amritas's every now and then, just to get aggravated.
Old 19th January 2006
Gear Addict

well. ns-10 is crap for bass or full spectrum analasys though.

good for levels in its freq range. personally i dont like them though...

m
Old 19th January 2006
Lives for gear
1. Aiwa strasser HDX-1 portable dat machine. Load of crap on steroids. This thing sounded half-arsed, ate tapes, and the i/o jacks were all 1/8" stereo plugs - and were all intermittent as hell to boot. Add the nominally useless battery and byzantine interface for coding start ID's, etc., and you've got a real winner.

2. Waldorf "Rack Attack" drum synth module. I already own a Q, but the price of these on blow-out was irresistable. Only then did I realize that it's basically a racked version of the Q's "drum bank". Waldorf, whose hit synths were peerless, became a foolish company by trying too hard to leverage their one or two interesting bits of tech into too many different products. I pity the fools who paid the $2500 or so to buy Waldorf's "AFB" analog filter bank product -- which streeted about 3 months before the company suddenly went under.

3. I've gotta defend Behringer a little here... I think most everything they make bites the big wangola, but the one thing I've been very very happy with is their digital rack-mounted mixing console, the ddx 3216: this thing has more inputs than the 01v96 (16 analog + 16 digital ins, etc)., has comp/gate/eq on every channel via the 4 sharc chips used for DSP, the DSP actually sounds pretty decent if you don't go overboard (that's what outboard is for, after all), and its footprint is compact - 13 or so spaces in a rack. I bought mine for about $1100 new at GC with the ADAT optical i/o card; they've since dropped the price to somewhere around $600-800 new! That is a serious steal for someone looking for a decent sounding board. Oh yeah, there's also 4 built in (and 4 external send) effects via the sharc chips; choices include different reverbs, delays, chorus, phaser, ring mod, etc.; serviceable effects; plus automation (which I've not used). I don't use the mic pre's; i've got a drawmer 1969 for that, which suits me fine.

Just as a broken clock is right twice in a day, the ddx 3216 may be the one time (so far, anyhow) that behringer has hit the nail on the head.

Funny how lots of the frustration on this board seems to arise from having jumped into gear on the 'bleeding edge', especially with the digital gear. I always try to impose at least a 6-month moratorium on my purchases from the street/announcement date; that way I figure I'll lose the "fever" if there's any of that, and I might even be able to pick up a used unit for a little cheaper than new by the time I'm ready to buy. With the analog stuff, it either sounds good to you or it doesn't, but with the digital stuff, if Korg comes out with something tomorrow, wouldn't you rather wait and see how Yamaha and Roland respond (for example) before shelling out the cash on the Korg piece? My motif es rack was worth the wait, rather than having bought a triton or fantom rack.

...but it's all about personal taste and one's level of comfort spending the money at the time, after all, isn't it?

v
Old 19th January 2006
Gear Addict

Worst was probably the Alesis 3630. Fortunately they're salvageable if you mod them to comply with the VCA mfgr's app notes. Better than RNC once fixed up IMO, meaning it's passable as a chip based utility comp (RNC and 3630 have the same VCA chip BTW), but a TOTAL POS otherwise. It would have cost Alesis about $1 per unit more to do it right and the box would sell for twice as much and have a good reputation. Go figure...
Old 19th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej
Well a lot of people would differ. Just because it sounded worse with your signal chain compared to tape/protools/whatever it doesn't mean it's bad. You just have to know how it sounds and get the sounds a little bit differently.

There is a ****load of records that have been produced on 16 bit or 20 bit ADATs and a lot of them sound fantastic. You might wanna check again the Jagged Little Pill By Alanis Morisette. Something like 15 million people that bought it think it sounds more than fine. Have you recorded anything that sounds better than that?

Ofcourse, I guess your name is not Glenn Ballard, so for you I guess ADATs are just wothless piece of junk. Don't knock something that doesn't work for you, but it's known to work for others.

But then again... you haven't bought it, so why would you list it in this thread?

Matej

P.S.
Oh yeah, that record was also mixed on a mackie board.... something you think sucks donkey ass...
That record was mixed on a Euphonix board. Just for the record
Old 19th January 2006
Lives for gear

Well, I bought a brand new Yamaha A4000 sampler about 5 years ago! What was I thinking??? Thought I could fool myself by saying,
-Yeah well, it's a great sampler and if I won't be using it as a sampler I can always use its two effect boards!

I did only use it for one thing... a sampled kick! I never used the effects!

I sold it last year though, for 300€. Losing only 1300€ I felt I did a great deal knowing that a friend of mine have the A5000 that he has tried to sell for years! heh

The next worst thing must be the Philip Rees Midi Thru. It worked well 25% of the time. 50% of the time it passed midi when it felt like it and the rest of the time the battery were out!

tjing!

/Cojo
Old 21st January 2006
Here for the gear

Bad Stuff

Behringer Multicom- was still buying audio gear with my eyes

Guitar Center Cable-I would rather leave it disconnected.

Roland SRV3030-what happened? the 330 was so cool.

Best buys? Starting an underfunded studio~AT4033's~MCI JH console~Nuendo- no regrets
Old 22nd January 2006
Gear Maniac

I would have to say a Tom Schultz Rockman (Guitar Pre from the Boston Albums)
It worked for about 3 months...now I use it to this day as a boat anchor...:(
Old 22nd January 2006
Lives for gear

Let's keep it between us.

Jackson Soloist 1984?
Played great, sounded like metal on metal in search of music.

jc

it's for sale
requires large hair (or piece) and spandex. I've never had either.
impulse buys are only good when they're good
Old 22nd January 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej

Matej

P.S.

You're making a lot of assumptions here. I say what I say about ADATs because compared to just running a 486 computer with a decent harddrive and a delta 1010 or something they're pretty awful and at the time extremely overpriced. You don't need to preach to me about sample quality and 16/20 bit not being enough, I still do all my recordings 44.1khz. I'm reffering to how poorly they worked for me, how the tapes went bad, the heads wouldn't read correctly, and the quality was more or less terrible, despite what you're saying. I think you can make a grammy winning album on a soundblaster, I just don't want to try. When I say I never bought one I meant it literally, I had to deal with them numerous times and hated them.
Old 22nd January 2006
Here for the gear

I had a thing called a Vesta or Vestax Driving Enhancer . This translated roughly to cheap sonic maximiser. It was comprehensively bad.

More importantly this may be the highest altitude Gearslutz posting ever, Currently using wireless internet on an iBook 10,000 meters over eastern europe on a Boeing 747 en route to london from Australia. God Bless technology!
Old 22nd January 2006
Gear Nut

No insult to the creator of the software, Jim Miller, because he really was a pioneer who was way ahead of his time, but the 1986 version of DOS-based "Personal Composer" was about the most non-intuitive software I've EVER used.

My frustration wasn't limited to this one software package, however.

I was so discouraged by the early days of Midi hardware and software, I basically dropped out of the recording scene for about ten years (stuck to performing only) and only re-emerged six or seven years ago when the technology really seemed to be coming together.

Things are better now, and while the gigantic manuals and steep learning curves are still there, the rewards are exponentially greater too.

p.s.: I do still love my first synth, though: a CZ-101

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search