The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Worst gear purchase?
Old 22nd November 2005
Lives for gear

Oh, I forgot: my worst purchase ever was a Mackie HUI. I had the entire fader board replaced two times, yet they NEVER worked properly. If I could replace the faders for P+G faders, I´d love it to pieces. Spent EUR 3100,- on it.
Old 22nd November 2005
Lives for gear

worst gear purchase ever?....

EB: "i traded it"

JB: "you traded it?"

EB: "yeah... for a microphone"

JB: "you traded the blues mobile for a microphone?!!..."

JB: "i can see that."

Old 22nd November 2005
Here for the gear

Fostex mixer

Kurzweil k2661

Behringer truth monitors
Old 23rd November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale116dot7
AKG C1000
Alesis 3630 (3 of them).
Alesis Studio32.

Wow, much hate for the C1000's. I haven't tried them, but i'll just believe you that they are bad.

Have you ever listened to the C3000s? We had a pair that we were using as extra condensers (toms, rooms, whatever) and they were not great, but they kinda did the job for a while, because those tracks weren't ever that present in the mix. Basically we didn't notice, until one day we did a mic shootout with all of our consender mics (and an SM57). Even the cheap Ocktava and MXL mics that we picked up sounded better on EVERY single thing. The AKGs just grinded on our ears and sounded like trash. Bad enough that we wanted to throw them out the window (which we nearly did) but we took them to GC instead and traded the pair for $200 of other random junk (probably cables or a DI). The 414's of course sounded great, so i know that AKG can build decent mics, but wow. Just horrible on a C3000s.

(BTW: We were running them to tape and PT at the same time i think with a Otari Status 18 board using the stock preamps. I tried to set the levels all the same using the ever so scientific method of putting a 440 tone from a tuner 6" from the capsule and adjusting the gains until they were the same, then playing acoustic guitar, voice, and tom and snare drums appromately that distance, angling for the best angle possible, but not getting any closer). The cheap chineese mics were actually pretty damn good sounding even compared to the two neumanns we had at the tmie (U87 and M147), not better, but certainly usable. )
Old 23rd November 2005
Gear Maniac

Alesis Monitor One's (hey I was 18)

Neumann M147 (2 of them!!!!) I was REALLY dissapointed in these

Haven't bought but...

Any Alesis FX processor

But the ALL TIME worst POS purchase for anyone to make/or not is:

TASCAM OR dfegad TA-SCAM GIGASTUDIO 1.X THROUGH 3.X

WITHOUT QUESTION they worst buggiest piece of software EVER created from mankind. NOTHING worked as it should and you get blue screen's every 5 minutes. I have even seen computer built soley for Giga that don't even work HALF the time. IF there is a more buggy piece of software in the history of software (not just music software either) I would LOVE to hear it....
Old 23rd November 2005
Lives for gear

I remember reading an interview with Trevor Horn where he talked about his $150,000++ Synclavier purchase - YIKES! - He said it was a peice of **** even then - what a waste!
Old 24th November 2005
Here for the gear

Worst gear?
Everything from Behringer!

Had 2 Rackmixers and each one is defect now.
Old 24th November 2005
Gear Maniac

Focusrite Platinum Series (Voicemaster, Tonefactory, etc). All worthless.

AKG C3000. Sounds like crap. It's like a horrible version of the 414.

Behringer Feedback Destroyer Pro. Kills feedback along with all your tone.

Alesis Monitor One. These make good bookends and that's about it.

Antares Vocal Producer. Produces nothing but crap.

Alesis M230 EQ. Would you like noise with that eq?

Rolls headphone amp. These are great if you like distortion in your headphones.

This is fun! Let's keep going!
Old 24th November 2005
Lives for gear

Tascam MS16 1" sixteen track- I've tried to forget, but I think I paid $4,000.00
for it in '94. When I think of analog warmth, this does not come to mind. Weighed
like 500 pounds, but fell apart like it was made of plastic.

More recently:

Vintech Dual 72- My first semi-expensive mic pre. I've never owned a Neve, but
I can't imagine they sound like this thing. Maybe it's me, but it just sounded flat
and lifeless.

Rode NTK- I still have this, I gotta get rid of it though. Really, really sibilant, really
bright. Sounds okay if you're right on it for the proximity effect. How much can
I get, $200.00?

KRK V8's- I swear to god, these gave me tinitus!

Mackie 824's- I still have these, I've gotten used to them. They're horrible. Really hyped in the low end, kinda missing in the middle, and then hyped
on top. As an added bonus, they shut off every ten minutes when I'm
tracking bass loud.

Soldano slo-100- When I was younger, I imagined that this would be the
end all/be all amp for me. Finally coughed up the dosh to buy one last year.
Maybe I got the worst one ever built, but boy what a disappointment.
No bottom end, almost impossible to dial out this harsh top end, crappy
f/x loop.

This is a great thread, kinda cathartic.
Old 24th November 2005
Gear Addict

gear geek - the rolls headphone amp works fine for me? mine is a ra62? which is yours?

markus
Old 24th November 2005
Gear Maniac

Mines a RA53. Not enough power. But what do you expect for 100 bucks? I ended up disconecting it and just using the headphone out from my Mackie Onyx. I think I'll buy a Furman instead. Wish I could afford a Grace though...
Old 24th November 2005
Lives for gear

Rocktron prophecy. I had high hopes for this one but as much as I tried I could never get any good sounds out of it. It's been sitting in my rack collecting dust for a couple of years now - got to get rid of it.
Old 24th November 2005
Gear Addict

i88x - driver hell. Maybe it's great if you can get it to work????
Old 25th November 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchhare
Mackie 824's- I still have these, I've gotten used to them. They're horrible. Really hyped in the low end, kinda missing in the middle, and then hyped
on top. As an added bonus, they shut off every ten minutes when I'm
tracking bass loud.

This is a great thread, kinda cathartic.
I don't think you are using these correctly, or maybe just not in a decent room. You likely have the switches in back set wrong, or in a bass-hyped room with not enough absorption. Never had these problems, nor the power-off thing. Maybe yours are TwEAkeD.

I agree about this thread being cathartic!

s
Old 25th November 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus enochson
gear geek - the rolls headphone amp works fine for me? mine is a ra62? which is yours?

markus
Having no trouble with mine, either.

s
Old 1st December 2005
Gear Addict

Anything written by IK Multimedia tutt tutt tutt . I didn't even pay for the **** (came with PT) but I still feel like I was ripped off by even installing it. Not only does it constantly freeze up, but it peaks all the tracks its on and emits the most god awful high pitched squeal you've ever heard in your entire life. They even knew this was going on, it was and addressed issue, put out the upgrade, and it still does the same damn thing! I've had it happen with amplitube and t-racks. Finally I got smart enough and uninstalled it and learned a new eq plug.
dfegad IK Multimedia. Bastards.

Mike
Old 1st December 2005
Gear Head

worst....
Telefunken USA M16....paid 1500 bucks.
Looked at the APEX 460 comparison and started researching...
Took it back....(whew!! close one)

Best so far Millenia TD-1, SSL X-Logic Channel, ADL 600 preamp and dbx 160SL
also love my Rosetta AD though I know it's a bit out-dated.

There's also the purchase that started this whole mess:
Tascam Porta studio 4-track cassette "studio" and an SM58
Old 1st December 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff16years
worst gear purchase ever?....

EB: "i traded it"

JB: "you traded it?"

EB: "yeah... for a microphone"

JB: "you traded the blues mobile for a microphone?!!..."

JB: "i can see that."

hello??..... Blues Brothers? anyone? Blues Brothers?....

Hello?

is this thing on?

bueller?

anyone?
Old 1st December 2005
elwood traded the bluesmobile

this is gearslutz, expect the worst heh
Old 1st December 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar_boy5

Best so far Millenia TD-1, SSL X-Logic Channel, ADL 600 preamp and dbx 160SL
also love my Rosetta AD though I know it's a bit out-dated.
Is the Rosetta AD nice? I was thinking of getting one for my 001.

Old 1st December 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff16years
hello??..... Blues Brothers? anyone? Blues Brothers?....

Hello?

is this thing on?

bueller?

anyone?
Right - I got the quote, it made me chuckle
Old 1st December 2005
Gear Head

The Rosetta AD sounds great to me!
As i said it's outdated, but still sounds the same as the day I bought it, which is miles better than my old MOTU 1224....

So yeah, it's a good unit. And they are probably going on the cheap by now.
Old 1st December 2005
Lives for gear

My 2c.

- Pro Tools III. + Mac 9600 + some extra DSP cards for arround 15.000$..... sold for 3600$ uuuuhhh

- Midi Time piece AV - 800$

- DAT Panasonic 3800SV - 1200$

Purusha
Old 2nd December 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarsland
My TLM103 hasn't sounded the same since I don't have the True Systems 8 mic pre anymore. Maybe the TS used some variation of voltage and impedance. who the hell knows, but it sounds ok.

Someone said muddy, but I don't think that is true at all.

I actually think there might be something wrong with mine because it has a lot of noise. Maybe its my ****ty mic pre. Is a PreSonus MP20 REEEEEALLY BAD or just kinda bad?
Seemed good when I was first getting into it.

Behringer AUTOCOM.. what a piece of f*&king garbage. So far, thats the worst purchase. 2nd was Monitor Ones.

I have am MP20 and it think it is fine for some material. Not vocals, but works fine as a pre for my Fishman Blender. I also read somewhere the old ones are better if they have the Jensen transformer. The newer ones got cheeper and don't sound the same.

As for my worst purchase:

1. Tascam DM24 mixer. Hated the thing. The stereo bus would clip all the time. I was lucky to sell it early before the word was out. I think I got it on a 10% coupon at Sweetwater and paid about $2200 and sold it for $1600. I sold it right at the time Tascam took their forum off the web. I use a Yamaha 01v96V2 mixer now it it is a whole lot better.

2. Tascam Porta01MKii 4 track recorder. Went Dead a little over a year. It really never got much use as a scatch pad recorder but it was so cheap (made in China) that it didn't last at all.

-Gary
Old 2nd December 2005
Lives for gear

1. For playback, the MBox was crystal clear and I loved it just for that. For recording it was terrible. The pre's sucked.

2. Intel P4's with Hyperthreading. HT blows for recording...I wish dual core was out at the time.
Old 2nd December 2005
Gear Head

I agree with the Tascam DM24 being a piece of c**p. I purchased one 2 years ago. It took me like 3 months to learn how to work around the clipping issues. Then I tried to mix an album with it and just couldn't archieve better than a demo sounding cheap mix (bad comps and eqs, weird automation,...)
Finally it found a nice place in my rehearsal room: fixing monitor mixes for performers...

My own worst purchase is: Focusrite Tone Factory!!! (further comments are needless, huh?) Another would be a second hand TC Finalizer Express...
Old 3rd December 2005
Lives for gear

I was up to 7 Adats at one point.
4 for the rack - 3 for the shop.

I'm down to 1 for transfers and 1 for parts.
Someone called from 9 years ago for a recall.
Sometimes it's good to keep a little crap.

chap
Old 3rd December 2005
Lives for gear

Glad I got rid of...

Whirlwind splitter box.... What a piece of ****e. Some ********* Floor guy at Guitar Center Said "Yeah its a great spiltter box" My ass it is.....Used it for 1 day then wisely returned it. Sucked the tone out of everything. Lesson Learned..

Glad I purchased..
Little Labs STD - Best spitter box I ever used...
Old 3rd December 2005
Lives for gear

AKAI MG1212....dont you just love machines with proprietary tape formats?????
Old 3rd December 2005
Gear Guru

I'll second the Akai MG1212. I had one for a long time. It was before I had much engineering chops together but I couldn't et a decent sound out of mine. I know others who swore by it. Then trying to get tapes was a nightmare. Yikes.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search