All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Worst gear purchase?
Old 8th October 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froombosch
Art valley Gatex - just a lot of clicks
Everything from behringer mx 8000, ultrafex2 composer
KM-184s after comparing it to 84's

and ofcource the pretty ADAT XT's that are still in my rack.

Bad bad bad!

Harrie
huh? Kepex 2 here rocks??
no click, nice and fast. sidechain ok ??
?
Old 9th October 2005
Gear Addict

Paris rocks

Yeah the company was crap but Paris does sound great. I use it all the time and since nothing else is close to the price I keep at it. All of your observations are actually very well put. I'm very happy with the product even though it is dead I use it continually so for me it is alive !!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
Old 9th October 2005
Lives for gear

Worst Piece of Gear I ever bought:

my dfegad MBox

I bought it , so I could open PT sessions and bounce and edit some stuff at home.
Due to my MicPre of my home setup beeing in repair I used it yesterday as a Mic Pre (in Asio Mode) and as a Guitar Input.

Has anyone here ever played with a guitar straight into the MBox???

DO NOT DO IT!!!! U HAVE BEEN WARNED!!! UR AT HIGH RISK OF DAMAGING UR EARS!!!

Seriously, it sounds so sh** that its actually funny!
Old 9th October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyB
Ensoniq PARIS...

I bought it in '97. It had potential. Most cost effective DAW at the time. Unfortunately, ID software didn't give a rat's ass about their customers. They released buggy software that they would not update for a year, then released a paid software upgrade filled with bugs that they promised to fix for 3 years and never did. You needed to be a math wizard to keep your tracks in phase, had to mix with a calculator, the midi portion was horrible (advertized as included in '97, but never made an apearance till 2000 and even then was unusable).

There are still a bunch of PARIS zombies who use the POS. I've been to their forum and all they talk about is politics, wild life entering their homes, and how to get around the 16 thousand samples of latency when using plugins. Every once in a while, the president of ID signs in as some guy named Beunel, and tries to intellectually abuse the remaining users (who weren't too happy with him and his constant lies about updates, and made that quite obvious). I trashed it, switched to Cubase/RME/apogee, and now I'm actually producing music again.
Maybe *you* need to be a math wizard to keep your tracks in phase. Most folks can do it in Paris with little trouble at all.........but I agree, Cubase is much easier, it just sounds different. Now where's that little owl that the cat dragged in there while ago?

Old 7th November 2005
Gear Maniac

[QUOTE=3rd world order]1) Genelec 1031As - ruined my life for 2 years. they have a HUGE soft spot around the crossover point, right where compressor smack usually is.. the top end is way too processed.. the low end always sounds the same. USELESS. then i got an annoying intermittent crackle in one of mine which the repair guys couldn't find.. months of frustration followed... they finally pissed me off to the point that i ran some 40Hz from a sequential pro one at max volume until it blew. it made a wonderful whistling sound when the amp finally let go. I cheered..

...haha heh ...ha...hahaha heh.
i really had to laugh about this....
i never thought i would know a guy who blows his genelecs on purpose!
and you know what?...one of my 1031´s had the same stupid problem...
"an annoying intermittent crackle" which really can drive you mad during a mix.

nevertheless i replaced the 1031 with 8050´s and i really have to say they bettered their characteristics.
all your complains about the 1031´s are so true thumbsup ,but still :
i "understand" genelec better than others.
i hate them...but i can´t stop loving them.
i wish i would have blown mine!
long live the genelecs!...
f**k´em.

...the low end always sounds the same...haha heh ...ha..hihihi heh
...no better words for that.

maybe you can tell me wich monitors you own now in case my new 8050´s start
to "crackle" again.
Old 8th November 2005
JTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k

also, i intend to drive really really slowly, while hugging the shoulder, with my left blinker flashing continuously.
Dad!

Is that you?

(and don't forget to include - pants must be worn up around your nipples )
Old 8th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGuru
After reading this post, I would like to nominate the ADAT / BRC combo as the worst piece of $hiT shoved down the recording communitys throat in music history.

.****1N POS!!!!! I seriously hope the design team at Alesis burns in hell for all eternity, while being forced to push molten VHS tapes into a blackface, and powercycling them ad infinity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd World Order
1) Genelec 1031As - ruined my life for 2 years. they have a HUGE soft spot around the crossover point, right where compressor smack usually is.. the top end is way too processed.. the low end always sounds the same. USELESS. then i got an annoying intermittent crackle in one of mine which the repair guys couldn't find.. months of frustration followed... they finally pissed me off to the point that i ran some 40Hz from a sequential pro one at max volume until it blew. it made a wonderful whistling sound when the amp finally let go. I cheered..

heh

Classic stuff there guys...

Yes, I agree the ADAT is the biggest turd ever laid by any pro audio company.

How can a million idiots all be wrong?

Cause we were (are) all idiots.

Old 8th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droplede
Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present:

At least I bought it used. I can't begin to tell you all the ways I hate this thing, but I will tell you this: in the end, it's not even deep enough to comfortably use as a coaster.

In short: unsalvageable.
... When I saw the Alesis 31-band I was about to write something like "no more calls, folks, we have a winner!", but then I remembered something....
Around 1978 I was doing a live sound mix for some bands in some LA club and I was confronted with the most horrible mixer ever created. It was some bizarre contraption called a MALATCHI mixer. It had stubby little faders for EVERYTHING - EQ, sends, pan... and nearly every fader on the board made the most horrendously loud crackling crunching crashing noise when you just slightly moved it. The guys who worked a t the club recommended that I "try to find a good setting for everything and then don't touch the controls". I kid you not.

Dave Peck
Old 8th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff19
AKG C1000S ---actually i love it. read on.

pretty much sucks for recording, HOWEVER i would like to add that now that i don't use it for real recording it is one of my MOST used mics since it can be powered by a 48V battery.
Where do you get a 48V battery? heh I have to admit, this mic has saved me in some live micing situations. I was getting feedback from all of the mics I was trying to put on my acoustic, and this mic did the trick. Didn't sound phenominal, but seemed to have a good pick up pattern. Even still, it had to go....
Old 8th November 2005
Gear Maniac

ok... I guess I'm going to be the only one that is going to give the C1000 some love.... I used to work with this singer years ago and I only had a C1000 at the time... she sounded so good on that mic... but then again that was all I had... I recently had her come back to do a session... so I put her infront of my Korby Kat4 with U67 capsule, a "bit" of an upgrade to the C1000!!! she sounded awful!!! man I had to double check my capsule to make sure it was not broken ... This mic had just rocked 3 previous session with 3 different singers... So... my little C1000 came in handy again...

ok now to worst purchase... Logic 6.4!!!! ouch... that's got to be the buggiest piece of turd...errr... software ever...

r.
Old 11th November 2005
Gear Nut

My List:
Anything made by Behringer, Aphex, Alesis, Peavey, Hohner, DOD, Digitech & Epiphone.
Those old Crumar keyboards.
My old Yahama CP-80 electric grand.
Most dbx gear except for the dbx 786 mic pre and SL series compressors.
All graphic eq's.
AKG 460
ADK GC-1 Generis
M-Powered Pro Tools
Any Focusrite Platinum
Art Tube MP
Shure SM-81 and all PG series.
G&L SB-1
JBL 4208
EMU Darwin with Jazz Drive
Mackie Onyx 800R
Joe Meek Twin Q
Otari MX7208 one inch 8 track RR
GigaStudio 3
Sennheiser mic clips
All EV mics except for the RE-20
Those cheap China made mic shock mounts
New mass produced Paul Reed Smith guitars

I guess I'm one of the few that likes TLM-103's. I use them for overheads, room mic for amped guitar, and bottom of snare. Certainly not for vocals.
Old 11th November 2005
Lives for gear

I have one adat machine left. It is at the bottom of a heap of junk including my DAT machine which I unracked years ago, a tl audio compressor and an alesis quadraverb. I would get a blowtorch and turn them into modern art for my yard...but Fletcher's already done that.
Old 11th November 2005
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Mrochek
Another vote for the C1000.
I'll third or fourth that sentiment. I will never understand the appeal of this mic to people. Luckily, I was able to dump them for the same price I got 'em for. Tag, you're it.
Old 12th November 2005
Gear Nut

behringer anything.
Old 12th November 2005
Gear Nut

yes, right, and aphex. Oh and Focusrite platinum anything. My Nuemann M147. Never use it.
Old 17th November 2005
Gear Head

How about the DBX 376 channel strip??

Completely aweful sounding
Old 17th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by neve1073
I have one adat machine left. It is at the bottom of a heap of junk including my DAT machine which I unracked years ago, a tl audio compressor and an alesis quadraverb. I would get a blowtorch and turn them into modern art for my yard...but Fletcher's already done that.

They make great pistol targets. Videotape it and send an mpeg to Fletcher.
Old 17th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless1
My List:
Anything made by Behringer, Aphex, Alesis, Peavey, Hohner, DOD, Digitech & .
I'll happily take any Peavey VMP's, VC-L2's or Classic series amps you are throwing out!!...Or any Aphex Preamps or DI's...!!

But you can keep your TLM's!!
Old 17th November 2005
NL5
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney Gene
I'll happily take any Peavey VMP's or VC-L2's
Shhhhhhhh..........

Peavey sucks!!!!!!

(feel free to send them on to me as well for, ummm, proper disposal.........)
Old 17th November 2005
Gear Maniac

Two Reverb suck units

TC Electronics VoiceWorks...SUCKED! and I hated my Lexicon MPX 550. Even my TC Electronics M300 is way too noisy. But I figured that for 150 bucks it would be fine to use live since it has the pedal option to set tempo and turn bypass on and off.
Old 17th November 2005
Lives for gear

AKG C1000
Alesis 3630 (3 of them).
Alesis Studio32.
Old 17th November 2005
Lives for gear

Mine worst purchases

1) ART rack guitar processor (cant even remember what it was called, but at least i made money on reselling it)
2) Any/All multi effect guitar floor processors. Esp ones from the early/mid 90's. Sooo bad.
3) One of my Eventide 910's. I have two. Neither work perfectly, and i knew that when i got them, but one just doesn't work at all. I think it's the transformer. I might try replacing it with a no-name one, but eh... The other ALMOST works, but something is wrong with the pitch shift which creates awesome distortion at random times.
4) Ibanez 5 string bass. The low B is useless. It felt good to a guitar player (me), but now i know it's **** after playing some MusicMan basses (Tony Levin's ones nontheless)
Old 17th November 2005
Lives for gear

Yamaha CP-70B

Just bad! I sold it and got my money back bought a Rhodes Mark II!
Old 22nd November 2005
Gear Addict

any form of MO drive - lost so much nice samples on theese ones.

jaz drives are the most unreliable, and the unmentionable 128/230 mb format really sux... ez drives sux too...

markus enochson
Old 22nd November 2005
Lives for gear

Creamware Powersampler - it completely sucked, technical support terrible, I sold it for a small fraction of price
Old 22nd November 2005

DAP snake cable
dBX 266 XL (gotta start somewhere... )
dBX 160AD. No comment.
Digi001. The hell with it. Sold it back straight away. PT LE 5.0 sucked big time.
Pearl Export drumkit. Sucked, everything broke almost immediately.
And the usual crappy DI boxes from a brand I will not even mention.

Cheers!
Old 22nd November 2005
Here for the gear

Yamaha digital interfaces.

All of them. Keyboards, Digi mixers, etc...

Don't care how something sounds if it takes longer to really understand how to use it, than it does to get a Masters in EE.
Old 22nd November 2005
Lives for gear

i have a few worst gear purchases

i once bought this really old API mic pre, it was in perfect, brand new condition. i didn't like the sound, so i threw it away.

i also ran into a few vintage neve's i bought them for $25 bucks each. they sucked so i gave them to a friend of mine.

oh and then there was this one time that i bought this '59 les paul. it was in really great shape, it looked pretty and everything but the sound was just too big. one day i needed to start a fire that was kind of damp so i used the lespaul to get it started.

i have no regrets my digi 002r has built in pre's so i have no need for the API or Neve's.
and I bought a strat to replace the les paul.

Old 22nd November 2005
GOOD FOR YOU!
thumbsup
Old 22nd November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubesandteles
TC Electronics VoiceWorks...SUCKED! and I hated my Lexicon MPX 550. Even my TC Electronics M300 is way too noisy. But I figured that for 150 bucks it would be fine to use live since it has the pedal option to set tempo and turn bypass on and off.
Why did it suck? I´d really like to know because I´m thinking about buying one for artificial BVs in mixdown. What´s wrong with it?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search