The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Worst gear purchase?
Old 13th September 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctms777

4) TC native Reverb: All presets sound like my bathroom
Doesn´t surprise me. I don´t like any of their software effects, tdm included.

A couple of years ago I bought the Spark-software, which was horrible to use and had a lot of bad sounding plugins bundled. It had some nice touches though, like the batch converter, but it was very very sloooowww (even on my 300 Mhz G3 )
Since they discontinued Spark, buying it is worth to be mentioned in this thread. This piece of software was definately a waste of money

Bill
Old 13th September 2005
Lives for gear

Thumbs down

imation superdrive: PT fuuck protection money yanowadimeen?

TC spark: never lit up since TC and digi weren't getting along....must remember now that they got back in bed together.

digital time piece ist clue was that the clock in jack was touching the chassis so that one couldn't tighten the bnc.....the second one worked well enough to find out that I must sent it back immediately.....dealer was super cool, gone for good!

an ac30 I'm recapping is on the fence right now but I think we'll have a winner once I'm done

Andy
Old 13th September 2005
Gear Addict

ADAT edit PCI card...
Old 13th September 2005
Here for the gear

1. MotU Midi Express PC Midi-Interface: Connects to a computer by a PCI-Card (at least I thought so), unfortunately it's an older ISA-Card. Bottom Line: I never could use it.

2. Behringer V-Amp: 1000 possibilities & not one good sound... 'nuff said!

BTW: If you'd like to hear a song I produced, look here and vote for that project of mine. Voting ends on the 19th of September, 13:00 GMT.

Greetings from Switzerland
Daniel
Old 13th September 2005
Gear Addict

After reading this post, I would like to nominate the ADAT / BRC combo as the worst piece of $hiT shoved down the recording communitys throat in music history.
Can I get a second?
I mean seriously, these freaking things made me second guess my decision to work as a recording engineer. I many times contemplating smashing them with a ball peen hammer, and then murdering the client who was sitting there smirking as if I was to blame for the problems.

.NOFO
.NOFO
.NOFO
.ERROR 132
.ERROR 132
.ERROR 132

.****1N POS!!!!! I seriously hope the design team at Alesis burns in hell for all eternity, while being forced to push molten VHS tapes into a blackface, and powercycling them ad infinity.
Old 13th September 2005
Lives for gear

Art valley Gatex - just a lot of clicks
Everything from behringer mx 8000, ultrafex2 composer
KM-184s after comparing it to 84's

and ofcource the pretty ADAT XT's that are still in my rack.

Bad bad bad!

Harrie
Old 13th September 2005
Lives for gear

Roland MC-303 (yes the groovy S**tbox!)
Alesis Nanoverb (some of the most horrendous sonic spaces i've ever heard)
Roland JV1010 (how many times can u recycle the same patches?)
Anything with the Behringer name on it. (except the new usb controllers which are only ok because no audio actually passes thru it..thank God!)
Old 13th September 2005
Great you guys just reminded me of the fact I brough TC Works - Spark XL....yes that has to be the all time worst

Sounded bad, effects were bad and the UI was unbelievable

(Anyone want to buy it from me?)

Neil
Old 13th September 2005
I've had bad experiences with two Panasonic SV-3800 DAT decks. The transports fail about once a year (a $600 repair), whereas the TASCAM 30 MKIIs (whatever) have been reliable for seven or eight years. Anybody else had this problem?
Old 14th September 2005
Here for the gear

Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present:

At least I bought it used. I can't begin to tell you all the ways I hate this thing, but I will tell you this: in the end, it's not even deep enough to comfortably use as a coaster.

In short: unsalvageable.
Old 14th September 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitney
I've had bad experiences with two Panasonic SV-3800 DAT decks. The transports fail about once a year (a $600 repair), whereas the TASCAM 30 MKIIs (whatever) have been reliable for seven or eight years. Anybody else had this problem?
you reminded me of another one locked away in my psyche.. tascam da-30mkII DAT machine.. good machine except the mofos who built it put too much white grease on one of the transport gears.. the gear spins.. grease flies everywhere.. the drive belt slips.. tapes don't play.

i mentioned the unreliable transport prob to a techie friend of mine in passing and he replied, "oh, tascam's techs know about this.. they sent a memo out about it.. all you have to do is clean off the excess grease and.."

ARRRRGH

i put up with that goofy problem for 3-4 years... then fixed it in 10 mins. who knew?
Old 14th September 2005
Gear Nut

AKG C3000
AKG C414
Hosa Cables
KRK Krok
Old 14th September 2005
Lexicon Core 2, one of the many abandoned Audio Cards (hey, it had potential when I bought it!)

-Jim Bob
Old 14th September 2005
Gear Addict

Yep, the concept was pretty good at that time. I don´t know what happened...

Cheers,
Bill
Old 14th September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Knight
ADAT edit PCI card...

heh Mine's for sale. What a pile of #$%@!! It is in VERY mint condition with a mint box and everything heh

Digidesign 002. The famous "power harness" problem really makes this thing a useless pile of ****e!!! I know Digi users on thier third and even fourth one!!!

On a weekly basis there are posts on the DUC regarding the defunct power harness in the 002. And Digis' policy is to just "wait" until it happens.

Well, It has happened with clients around, location recordings, during VO recordings even during shows for radio broadcasts.

I love my Digi gear but this unit is just useless because of that problem and the policy to just "wait" until it goes.

Shane
Old 16th September 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k
i once walked out of a music store with:

a blackface adat, 2 alesis 3630 compressors, a midiverb 3, and a mackie 1202.

no wonder i fell in love with valium.

gregoire
del ubik
man thats funny
Old 22nd September 2005
Gear Addict

Behringer crap mixer worst s*** ever seen on earth. Never will buy Behringer stuff again! I fear them for faking stuff.
Old 22nd September 2005
Gear Nut

back in 2000 when i was thinking about switching careers leaving my union job and going into audio i let a salesman at GC talk me into buying a used fostex or tascam 8trk that recorded onto minidisc. got it home, found out you needed a special type of minidisc to record on all 8trks. regular minidiscs recorded only 2. i returned that thing the next day and swore to not let my naivete dictate what i do. now i dont leave the store with something unless i've spent a considerable amount of time doing my research and getting as much hands on time with something before i drop money down on it.
Old 22nd September 2005
Gear Head

I second jba's Lexicon Core 2.

I had the whole package, with Cubase Producer Pack w/ WaveLab, thought it had lots of potential, the reverbs were killin' and hardware-DSP based.

Mucho $$$$$$$$ down the drain... still got all the kit, essentially worthless now.

-C.J.
Old 22nd September 2005
Gear Addict

allan and heath mix wizard.
Man this thing sounds really good, but is always broken. Sent it on for repairs and two channels went out the day after it got back. Every other month something new breaks. What rip off and a total pile of @#$%@#%@#$%@#$%.
Been in for repairs 4 times in 2 years.
Old 22nd September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctms777
3) AKG C3000: Somehow I still think I'm going to find a use for it. Something that could use a harsh phasey 2-3k vibe on it.
Try it on bass cab -if it's still around.
Wayne
Old 22nd September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead
We did a little pre shootout at a local studio recently, and the MP20 lost to everything including a Rane MS1B. It sure sounded as far away from special as it could get that day. Some people like 'em, go figure.

War
funny, you say it EVEN beat a rane ms1b pre. i have always thought that little rane pre was very clean and accurate. very useful, very cheap. i think it rivals pres costing 10 times as much... that's right, 10. another fan is roger nichols. i believe he still uses some. and we all know he could use whatever he wants.
now.... crappiest purchase.... where to begin....

a firewire DVD-RAM drive. it's fame lasted like 5 whole seconds.

my dust collecting soundcraft 44 ch. 8000 series console.... great sound, talk about a great summing box. but alas.... the thing always needed some repair.

adat.

mackie mixer (pick any)

dbx 500 silver series compressor.... tube my a**!!!

glyph firewire project x drive (i lost three #1 hits... i swear!)

a PC (macs rule!)

roland digital monitors (yup...i did! they were on clearence. i just could not pass it up
now i know why they were on clearence.

and on, and on, and on, and on...........
Old 22nd September 2005
Lives for gear

rane on my parade, crap at 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead
We did a little pre shootout at a local studio recently, and the MP20 lost to everything including a Rane MS1B. It sure sounded as far away from special as it could get that day. Some people like 'em, go figure.

War
funny, you say it EVEN beat a rane ms1b pre. i have always thought that little rane pre was very clean and accurate. very useful, very cheap. i think it rivals pres costing 10 times as much... that's right, 10. another fan is roger nichols. i believe he still uses some. and we all know he could use whatever he wants.
now.... crappiest purchase.... where to begin....

a firewire DVD-RAM drive. it's fame lasted like 5 whole seconds.

my dust collecting soundcraft 44 ch. 8000 series console.... great sound, talk about a great summing box. but alas.... the thing always needed some repair.

adat.

mackie mixer (pick any)

dbx 500 silver series compressor.... tube my a**!!!

glyph firewire project x drive (i lost three #1 hits... i swear!)

a PC (macs rule!)

roland digital monitors (yup...i did! they were on clearence. i just could not pass it up
now i know why they were on clearence.

and on, and on, and on, and on...........
Old 22nd September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droplede
Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present:

At least I bought it used. I can't begin to tell you all the ways I hate this thing, but I will tell you this: in the end, it's not even deep enough to comfortably use as a coaster.

In short: unsalvageable.
i don't know.... i all my closest friends are engineers (i know, i should get out more)
i think i'd be great to give each of them one for christmas as a gag. that or a custom made photo album of G.W. Bush. what a face!!! i know... i should get out more.
Old 22nd September 2005
Lives for gear

would you like some fries with that anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Knight
ADAT edit PCI card...

great!!! it took me a year to get over hating myself for buying it. spending all those late hours trying to get the damn thing to work. now you had to refresh my memory. i still think the [email protected] dept. and alesis would have better results working at a Burger King.... or better yet... Wal Mart.
Old 7th October 2005
Gear Head

I should preface by saying I'm a total hack when it comes to recording. I'm a musician not a producer engineer at all. For guitar, and my instruments, I've done alright with gear in my modest price range.

But I bought a piece of sh*t Korg 4-track cassette recorder for just under $200. They should have paid me!!! I should have known it wasn't a great piece of gear by the fact that it had built-in monitor speakers. But I just wanted something easy to use so I could record my band's funk jams. I was just looking to record on 4 simultaneous tracks. I looked at a lot of digital 8-tracks, but you could only record 2 tracks simultaneously on just about all of them. I wanted one track for the kick drum, one for the rest of the kit, one for bass, and one for guitar. That's all nothing fancy. I looked like I was going to have to spend way over $1000 on a 16-track in order to get 4 tracks at a time. No thanks. Then I say this thing for $189, I figured what do I have to loose? I lost all the hair I ripped out, and all the time it took mic-ing up the jam room.

Right out of the box, I put the tape in, and pressed the flimsy little buttons which activated the monitor for each track, all 4 of which got caught under the board, and wouldn't pop back up. Total piece of crap. Returned it without a hassle, but really what a waste.

Anyone know why so few 8-tracks record more than 2 at a time? Can anyone recommend an 8-track that's easy for a band to use to record themselves?
Old 7th October 2005
Gear Maniac

Mitsubishi X80/X86

Well ... I thought I'd add a BIG TICKET item to this thread!

Add the multitrack in as well ...
... and the white linen gloves required to edit on the machines (edit a prodigi - ever tried?)

Should have purchased a small apartment instead (hey, ho.)
Attached Thumbnails
Worst gear purchase?-x86.jpg  
Old 8th October 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
2 Akai samplers

I just could not get into them.. or sampling in general..

I am a 'midiot' - total midi dunce

I never used em and sold em... Closest I get to sampling is SoundReplacer or Altiverb..
I second this big time. Anybody want mine? What a waste! dfegadAkai
Old 8th October 2005
Lives for gear

My Roland JV-1010 with the 60's-70's expansion card has never once crashed my computer. Best hardware VI I've ever used.

Worst purchase: Focusrite Trakmaster Pro. The Platinum Penta actually has a nice warm sound in 'tube' mode, but the Trakmaster sounds like a telephone through a Pod. And it's already breaking down on me, cutting out and not passing audio intermittently. Probably because I've used it all of six times in the 2 months since I bought it. Don't get suckered by the cute VU meter. It's crap.

Just ordered a Sytek.
Old 8th October 2005
Lives for gear

1. Bass Pod (Utterly horrible)

2. Furman Signal Router Monitor (has nice features but poorly built)

3. Antares Mic Modeler (useless)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search