The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Worst gear purchase?
Old 14th December 2017
Lives for gear

AKG Solid Tube.
Old 18th December 2017
Gear Maniac

Pod HD500x no preset sounds good in studio mode.

Focusrite scarelett 18i20 the driver for the latency free mixing was unrelayable i was lukky that it dint crash when i had clients over. sold it for a steinberg ur824 it just works
Old 18th December 2017
Deleted User
Windows 10! From the minute I loaded my studio software onto it (software that had worked like a charm on Windows XP and Windows 7) I knew the stress-free life I had lived for so many years was over.
Old 18th December 2017
Lives for gear

Alesis 3630, no contest. I spent years thinking all compressors sounded like crap.
Old 27th December 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRoy View Post
Alesis 3630, no contest. I spent years thinking all compressors sounded like crap.
I had one of those, too, and sold it a couple of years ago because I didn't think it was making any difference in my live mixes. Now that I know a lot more about how to use a compressor/limiter, I almost bought it back. However, this and many other comments about the 3630 have thoroughly convinced me not to.
Old 27th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Tom View Post
I had one of those, too, and sold it a couple of years ago because I didn't think it was making any difference in my live mixes. Now that I know a lot more about how to use a compressor/limiter, I almost bought it back. However, this and many other comments about the 3630 have thoroughly convinced me not to.
Still have mine. Haven't sold it cuz it's worth nothing. Just got an Art Pro VLA 2. Wow, what a difference. No pumping!
Old 4th January 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRoy View Post
Man, I f'd up so much stuff with those noise gates set too high....I get so mad when I listen to my early stuff because of that.....moon
Old 25th January 2018
Morley ABC switch-box, worthless, well it did cost some money but after that, and useless, it makes groundloops hum/noise even with only one guitar and 1 amp , had to throw it in the garbage-dumpster and the problem went away, nevermore that crap, (no not the band).

OAO
Old 8th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyglover View Post
Black Lion AGB compressor.
why? what sucked about it in particular? I have a chance to pick one up for $400 but not sure if its worth it.
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear

- Yamaha AW-4416 The though of it still make me shudder, worst POS ever!

- Little Labs IBP and IBP Jr. Hype. Overcomplicated.

- Avantone Mixcubes Too expensive, mine were buzzing despite the seperate PSU. I'm been using s single Behritone now for years and great and totally reliable at about half the price.
Old 23rd July 2019
Here for the gear

Behringer MDX2600 (Like the "composer" i guess, completely useless)

Behringer RX1602 (super noisy ultra-low noise design)

Behringer MIC2200 Ultragain (85,- tube preamp, never found a use)

SPL Vitalizer MK2 (Read so many good things about this, thought this is a must have - i guess the same category as the much "loved" BBE or Aphex. Never found any source where it actually works. It just cuts mids in an unpleasent "psychoacustic" way)

SPL Charisma (For me: dull and lame and no function at all only a bit of drive at max settings)

Hoontech DSP2000 C-Port (unstable ad/da)

Orban 414a (Thought I could get a bit of analog snap out of it: no, I couldn't)

Roland MC303 (Well, at least I had fun with it at the age of 15)

Yamaha RM1X (Well, at least I had fun with it at the age of 16)

TC Powercore PCI (I liked some of the plugins, but then I had to switch to macbook (which instead, was one of the best decisions I ever made))

Universal Audio UAD 1 (Didn't liked even one of the plugins, wasted money. Good marketing though, I really thought this had to be the "real deal")

Alesis M1 active MK2 (These were a joke. Worst speaker i ever heard. Boomy, no mids. Any cheapest hifi compact system might be better for mixing I guess)

Boss Overdrive OD-3 (Thought I could drive synths with it. I was wrong)

Novation Drumstation (Not bad sounding, but useless for me, because at that time I didn't know how to process it to get the sound I was after)

These were some of the worst I remember.
In hindsight, naively believing in magazines (which was mainly my only source for info at the pre-internet time) was one of my biggest mistakes. Today, reading youtube comments or reviews might not be the best idea to get an idea.

Microsoft Windows. Ableton Live. About 99,999% of all plugins and software in general.

Old 6th August 2019
Lives for gear
TLAudio C-1: comp is pretty useless, but even more disappointing is the pre's: muddy and veiled are my descriptives for this POS. One of the only bad choices I've made in gear purchasing yet...

Rode NT-1: the first LDC mic I ever bought - it does have it's uses: scratch tracks, and paired with an appropriate pre can sound OK, but the sizzly top makes it unuseable save for very few sources.

Totally agree with the above and would add the TLA-EQ2 to the list.
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disk Object View Post
Universal Audio UAD 1 (Didn't liked even one of the plugins, wasted money. Good marketing though, I really thought this had to be the "real deal")
Most of the general marketing comes from user feedback, and reviews are almost always glowing. Not just positive but remarkably positive. Having limited experience with it I can't say, but from what I *have* heard their lineup deserves all the praise. I'm not sure which plugins you tried, or the circumstances under which you used them, but to suggest that the marketing has created unwarranted hypes doesn't seem to ring true to what everyone (almost everyone) is saying. At the same time, the UA haters are out there and their passion is strong, and it seems to be closely tied to the prices. That puts a certain arrogance to UA, but their products are selling, so how can we argue against their prices.

Personally, I've found alternatives from smaller companies that sounds as good or better, they just don't have the power to get their name out. Maybe that's the marketing you're referring to? They do advertise a lot.
Old 8th August 2019
Here for the gear

elambo, I wouldn't claim that UAD plugins are not good, it just was a bad purchase in my personal memory. The stock plugins didn't impress me. I remember I bought the dimension d, the plate and some others and demoed some. For example many people really like the plate, for me it didn't match my personal taste. That might had to do with my expectations. This was in the beginning of the first UAD-1 PCI card, I have no idea about the newer plugins. And if I remember correctly, it wasn't possible to use once purchased licenses on newer UAD hardware, you had to purchase again or at least crossgrade - kind of unfair strategy if you ask me. Regarding to user feedback - I agree and therefore I don't trust user feedback anymore.
The marketing i referred to was mainly in magazines of that time, claiming the UAD software stuff is something like the best you could get. Sounding like original hardware still seems to be a goal, many try to reach.
Old 9th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disk Object View Post
elambo, I wouldn't claim that UAD plugins are not good, it just was a bad purchase in my personal memory. The stock plugins didn't impress me. I remember I bought the dimension d, the plate and some others and demoed some. For example many people really like the plate, for me it didn't match my personal taste. That might had to do with my expectations. This was in the beginning of the first UAD-1 PCI card, I have no idea about the newer plugins. And if I remember correctly, it wasn't possible to use once purchased licenses on newer UAD hardware, you had to purchase again or at least crossgrade - kind of unfair strategy if you ask me. Regarding to user feedback - I agree and therefore I don't trust user feedback anymore.
The marketing i referred to was mainly in magazines of that time, claiming the UAD software stuff is something like the best you could get. Sounding like original hardware still seems to be a goal, many try to reach.
Same experience I had, and it was with great regret I returned the UAD-1 in three days, glad for Sweetwater's return policy. It was a PCI card and it ran hot. The sounds were okay, but not what I wanted. You can get the same things basically from freeware Antress plugins, where there are YouTube videos showing the same results. Having said that, I don't even run the free version because it's still not exceptional sounding and UA went on to update everything anyway as proof it had some evolving to do.

NOW UA sounds like the world classy yummifiers we wanted, but alas, I'll never afford the newest version unless I win the lottery, and I don't play lottery anyway because I need that $1
Old 9th August 2019
Here for the gear

I spend so much money on a apple imac computer . After 4 years it broke down and to repair or change the gpu or harddrive was an insaNE amount of money . Very bad investment
Old 11th August 2019
Here for the gear

any and every akai product bought after one year of release, ore just every midi controller, went through 4 last time i bought, before i got one that was not broken, last was a push, it was broken to, but got i fixed omg. also a weird limbo you get stuck in, thomann says it is akai fault, and akai says it's thomanns fault.
Old 12th August 2019
Lives for gear

Avid Eleven rack.

Failed out of warranty. Only Avid's official repair center can repair them, and there is a fixed charge of $450 pus shipping.

I brought it new for less that that. I suppose this is one way to avoid the responsibility for after-sales service.
Old 13th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk martin View Post
Avid Eleven rack.

Failed out of warranty. Only Avid's official repair center can repair them, and there is a fixed charge of $450 pus shipping.

I brought it new for less that that. I suppose this is one way to avoid the responsibility for after-sales service.
WHAT??? The minimum charge is $450, regardless of what is wrong? That's absurd.
Old 13th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
WHAT??? The minimum charge is $450, regardless of what is wrong? That's absurd.
They probably don't repair them in the traditional sense . It has one big PCB. I'm sure they just replace it.

If their practice is anything like some other manufacturers, you might not even get your particular unit back. They just send a refurb as your 'repaired" unit, then put yours on the shelf to be fixed and returned to stock as a another refurbished unit.
Old 20th August 2019
Lives for gear

Everything from Antelope!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search