The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Worst gear purchase?
Old 11th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip View Post
Never seen underneath the keys. But yes, NanoKey 1, not the NanoKey 2. I think there are only two generations.
yeah, there are only 2 generations... I can't believe you have been able to transport it just throwing in a back for that long! I baby my gear, had it wrapped in bubble wrap in my laptop bag or whatever, and those keys would just pop off and were such a pita to get back on (if you could find some of the parts that went springing all over, if i remember correctly...) well good on you! an exception to the rule, everyone I know who had those, rue the day they spent their 50$ or whatever... Nano series 2 made some big improvements, but I think I had already purchased an Akai mpk or something...
Old 20th July 2017
Gear Maniac

Minibrute.. not into drone music and all that, also doesn't have midi arp
Old 17th August 2017
Here for the gear
behringer deepmind 12...
just doesn't compare to

A SYNTHEX
Old 29th August 2017
Gear Nut
Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2 I bought it for cheap and sold it for cheap a month later. The converters were weak and the user interface was a pain to work with.
Old 19th September 2017
Focusrite Platinum Trakmaster Pro bleh
Old 19th September 2017
Lives for gear
Behringer Ultra curve. Could use it as an RTA, but as an EQ, it sucked.
Old 25th September 2017
Gear Head

Crumar Bit One.

It really bit one.

Can't say they didn't warn me.
Old 27th September 2017
TASCAM FW-1884. Firewire interface sockets cheap, broken, inconsistent connectivity. Constant blue screens in Win 7 with ASIO drivers in SONAR. Drivers never really were solid. Got it repaired and sold it.
Old 28th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chara63000 View Post
behringer deepmind 12...
just doesn't compare to

A SYNTHEX
I like my Deepmind 12. I can get a multitude of sounds from the board. And it is a HELL of a lot less than a Synthex. Also, I still have a bad taste in my mouth from sing those cheap-ass string machines they made. Are there any on the planet that have never broke down once??
Old 24th October 2017
Lives for gear

Is it still possible to buy a power harness for the Digi 002?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
heh Mine's for sale. What a pile of #$%@!! It is in VERY mint condition with a mint box and everything heh

Digidesign 002. The famous "power harness" problem really makes this thing a useless pile of ****e!!! I know Digi users on thier third and even fourth one!!!

On a weekly basis there are posts on the DUC regarding the defunct power harness in the 002. And Digis' policy is to just "wait" until it happens.

Well, It has happened with clients around, location recordings, during VO recordings even during shows for radio broadcasts.

I love my Digi gear but this unit is just useless because of that problem and the policy to just "wait" until it goes.

Shane
Old 1st November 2017
Anybody remember this junk from about 20 years ago? My first multi-channel interface. Gadget Labs Wave824. Stability hell - sounded ok when it worked. Sadly the previous Soundblaster I was using was more useful. What a long way we have come.

Old 3rd November 2017
Gear Maniac
I regret getting the Blue Yeti USB mic. Yes, it's a good entry-level option for Youtube and podcasting. But it's not good for singing, the build quality is awful, it destroys outdated fat-USB cables, the headphone jack gets crooked, it scratches easily and it looks like a giant ****.
Old 6th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by minervx View Post
I regret getting the Blue Yeti USB mic. Yes, it's a good entry-level option for Youtube and podcasting. But it's not good for singing, the build quality is awful, it destroys outdated fat-USB cables, the headphone jack gets crooked, it scratches easily and it looks like a giant ****.
LOL!

I thought it was the greatest thing on wheels before I plugged it in to my interface. The Yeti now sits in the back and remains unplugged permanently.
Old 7th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by auralart View Post
Motu 896mkiii

Very reliable drivers but horrible everything else. Preamps suck, converters suck. Incredibly dull and overpriced. Onboard dsp effects are crap too.
I totally agree with you.

And it was not better with the first version.

But I need to mention a very interesting side view on this.

In 2001-2002, I recorded a Juno nominated album on this crap.

I think 2002 was also the last year anyone saw me use a mac for recording.
Old 8th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post

Now I feel bad, I’m still using my Black Lion upgraded 2408 IIIs. I have others but, these still get used
Old 8th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastedgoat View Post
Now I feel bad, I’m still using my Black Lion upgraded 2408 IIIs. I have others but, these still get used
Hey men, if it works for you !

It worked for me until I found other less anemic AD
Old 5th December 2017
Proel stands..
Old 5th December 2017
Here for the gear

Hey there, what was wrong with your M147. I got a problem with mine, big time. major radio interference...
Old 5th December 2017
Gear Maniac

Apogee One was an awful buy for me. It just died unexpectedly without being even used frequently.
Old 7th December 2017
Gear Addict

Ah my most recent terrible gear purchase. I traded in my VOX VT40+ Amp for next to nothing at guitar center to put towards a used Fender Princeton Chorus from 1993 that has super scratchy pots and goes in and out if you don't turn the volume knob just right It just sounded so good in the store though for some reason. It sounded wonderful. I immediately regretted and tried to return it a couple days later and get my other one, but they said it didn't work that way and that it was probably already sold anyway.

Now I really miss having all the built in effects that were on that VOX. Usually things that have a lot of features don't do each one well compared to something that does one thing super well but this wasn't the case. The filter tron, Pitch shift , Octaver and auto wah were convenient to have built in like that and sounded surprisingly good to not be outboard gear. The newer ones don't carry some of the same effects. Could do some really experimental things with it. I would run an aux from the DAW into the amp and mic the amp to re amp using all those effects. Mostly on weird ambient sounds or loft stuff. I'd go thru a radial x amp if I was doing it for guitars or drums or anything else though. I think it had 25 or more built in effects. It was the older model that had a different look. I found one at a pawnshop for $150 I need to go snag it. Think I just may do that this week. Thread was a good reminder thanks.

EFFECTS
Attached Thumbnails
Worst gear purchase?-screen-shot-2017-12-06-10.00.44-pm.png   Worst gear purchase?-screen-shot-2017-12-06-10.01.48-pm.jpg   Worst gear purchase?-screen-shot-2017-12-06-10.01.55-pm.jpg  
Old 7th December 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah_Benji View Post
Pretty much everything Akai has made in the last 6 years
This. Someone in another thread was trying to justify their bad purchase by saying the new akai stuff were the best midi keyboards you could get right now too gtfouttahea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxadax View Post
Microkorg. It probably doesn't sound as bad but you can't change **** in the presets because it has a truly horrible menu system. I should have gotten an MS2000, if I knew at the time.
Don't feel bad I ditched mine too after a few months. Just seemed like a dead end tweaking and not getting anywhere.
Old 12th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphorium View Post
Crumar Bit One.

It really bit one.

Can't say they didn't warn me.
Really? I loved mine. Did sell it as I needed cash and got $650 (triple what I paid), but there was something fat about the mids on that synth that I miss. Tedious to program, but worth the effort imho.

My worst purchase was ny first keyboard, a Technics kn 920. I did not know what I needed to get the sounds I wanted. Tip: Don't buy a general midi keyboard if you want to sound like Chemical Brothers! Lol
Old 12th December 2017
Gear Guru

Zoom H4N. Too fiddly, preamps sound small and thin. Expensive for what it was. I hear the next generations sound a lot better, though.
Old 13th December 2017
Akai Remix 16

mid 90's sampler aimed at hip hop/dj consumers. It felt like it obviously wasn't designed by the same sorts of producers it was trying to entice. Everything it did sounded like ****. Especially the "scratch" effect. Even the first Yamaha DJX's scratch sounded better.
Old 13th December 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by djwayne View Post
Don't worry boys and girls, it's all a bunch of crap, most of you will never be in the Beatles and have those screaming teenage girls chasing after you. That is why your "in the business", right ?? Groupies ????

Gee, if I only had "Blah, Blah Blah" I could be just like my favorite rock star, be rich and famous, wild parties, limo's........groupies......money.....

What a bunch of gold diggers.

All that expensive junk you bought don't mean nothing without a well written song. I've heard some really lousy music, that was so well produced, highly polished, "Blah Blah", but it sucked.....bigtime....on the otherhand, a great song sounds good even if recorded on a cassette machine.
Yeah.............no sh*t..................we know................

That's why I've been signed to two major labels, a major indy, and others too numerous to list. And around here that isn't rare, special, or impressive. there are Grammy winners that post here that make my resume look like a Sunday "To-do" list. I was in a thread discussing the famous drum sound on KISS's "Creatures of the night " record once, when I realized one of the guys in the thread WAS THE ACTUAL ENGINEER WHO GOT THE SOUND

This thread is "worst gear you've bought" not the post your best "Regurgitate generic message board "whoa man! You speak truths most men fear!" comment

As the two good ol' boys said to Ned Beatty and Jon Voight in Deliverance...

"This here river don't go to Aintree........yew dun takin' a wrooooong tuuuuurn...."
Old 13th December 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post

Oh man! 2001-02 Can-Con, I can only imagine........But I'm not going to ask who it was
Old 13th December 2017
Lives for gear
OP-1

Sorry....I don't need a speak and spell sequencer or cow body parts as FX parameters to write music, it actually gets in the way.....

For $250 I wouldn't even think about it, but at that price........I had to look myself in the mirror and admit: "You got worked son!"

Oh, and whoever is dissing the Akai analog line of recent ill-repute, I love that stuff....and I don't need a "It's a great MIDI keyboard" excuse to justify it either (It's actually NOT so that's a lame excuse to begin with)......I love it because I LIKE THE WAY IT SOUNDS.......... deal with it.

Wait......y'know what sucked? The Elektron Analog Keys, It fried a USB port in my computer, all while sounding exceedingly average.

I'm looking around the studio......I dunno, I went through a phase when I got rid of all the stuff that I didn't jive with......I remember THINKING the JD-XI was a piece of crap, I actually called Roland and bitched at them

(Sorry Roland, you were right I was wrong, it's not a piece of crap, it's actually awesome)

Well, I'm not sure I'd call it a piece of crap.....but the thing that I've held onto that just doesn't get used?

Octatrack

And yes, I did put in the time to learn it, it's just really convoluted in way that takes the focus off the music you are making and puts it on the Octatrack, suddenly you're not pulling out some gear to work up a great Idea, you are setting aside time to "Use the Octatrack" always bumping into its lame limitations (no they aren't "inspiring" they suck) and making the music fit the workflow, it should be the other way around.

I need to sell that piece of crap

Oh, and you know what else didn't impress me? The Teenage Engineering Pocket Operators, Everything Korg did right with the Volcas and Monotrons T.E did wrong with the P.O's

I remember there was one where you could only write music in the key of C.........That's when I realized it was just hipster-baiting fluff.....and I got baited

Live and learn

I DIDN'T like the RC 505 sorry, too many tracks, that takes me out of the loping composition mindset and puts me into the multi-track mindset, and If I'm multi-tracking, I'm going to need things to sound a hell of a lot better than the 505......But I LOVE the 202, excellent songwriting device, vastly superior to the 505 in my books
Old 13th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
Behringer Ultra curve. Could use it as an RTA, but as an EQ, it sucked.
Quite a horror as an eq. Mine has a slight distortion at low levels, no matter how you set it. The RTA is quite good, however, and I still use it for PA work and figuring EQ curves that roughly approximate certain cabs
Old 14th December 2017
Lives for gear

Hosa connectors.

I purchased two different types of Hosa 1/4" phone connectors that I could mate together to make a special sustain pedal adapter. Doing so however would cause the circuit to short out. After some measurements I found it wasn't a manufacturing defect, but in the in the design of the parts.

It ain't rocket science guys.

Last edited by synthRodriguez; 14th December 2017 at 10:53 PM..
Old 14th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthRodriguez View Post
Hosa connectors.
Maybe they should change their name to Xhosa what with all that clicking and popping

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search