The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Worst gear purchase?
Old 13th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by nms View Post
+1

My worst purchases were GS hype darlings years ago before I got wise to that.

Slate Dragon, MR816x, Art Pro VLA2.

The Slate was noisy as hell and sounded scooped. The VLA is bested by any good plugin compressor.
Agree about slate, defend on VLA.
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anghello View Post
yes its not fast at all but good to round harsh vocals and fit them in mix. Its extremely jazzy sounding comp, to some it's not what they look for.
Really? Jazzy? I never bought one but I tried to use one a couple of times. I couldn't find a use for it. I thought it was nasty. And I do 95% jazz.
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
Really? Jazzy? I never bought one but I tried to use one a couple of times. I couldn't find a use for it. I thought it was nasty. And I do 95% jazz.
Now we just need to hear from someone who does 95% nasty telling us it sounded too fast, and the circle will be complete!
Old 18th November 2013
Samplitude Pro X
the most buggy software ever. reporting them doesn't help at all. i've been reporting some of them for years already and still not resolved. With each and every version they prefer adding new features (and more bugs) instead of getting the basics right.

It can't even import AIFF files without quicktime installed. all stupid mp3 players can do that. this DAW can not!! + in my case not even with quicktime installed and the support team ignores my emails...

UNDO feature still doesn't work as it should. You do three things, want to undo the last one, so you use UNDO once, but it undoes all three things at once (sometimes without you noticing if some of the things were out of your current view... realizing only much later)

And it crashes so often, that I had to set autobackup to 1 minute intervals, because otherwise I would kill so much time do

Samplitude = the worst way to spend your money.
Old 19th November 2013
Here for the gear

Audient Centro Master Section, the damn thing just breaks all the time. Which is a pity because it has a lot of great feautures and is affordable (but not necessarily so, I didn't expect the 4 times I had to get it serviced in 2 years...)
Old 23rd November 2013
Gear Maniac

Lets rewind 2 years : E-MU 0204 - Software Drivers and Hardware itself is a big joke.
Old 27th November 2013
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
Didn't someone in this thread say "It's not the arrow -- it's the Indian"?

I read some of these posts -- okay, many or most of these posts -- and think a) some of these folks totally didn't do their homework and bought roosters expecting them to be hens; b) a lot of people were looking for "magic arrows"; c) overall, people just don't seem to be getting smarter. They just collect other people's opinions and spout them as though they were based on their own experience and knowledge...

I think I've completed the transition into grumpy old man...

heh
Point C has been my driving force as an engineer. Disprove commonly held opinions via personal experience with gear and unbiased (BRANDED) critical listening. Imagine a world where every piece of high end gear came in an un-stenciled plain ole' silver rackmount box with knobs.... what would sound best then>>>??
Old 27th November 2013
Here for the gear
Ibanez Talman guitar circa 1997- Add a tad of gain and its feedback central
Marshall Valvestate 2 x 12 combo. Screechy, tinny, mess.
Adat Blackface: bought 2 on ebay, thought it was a sweet deal for a digital convertor and recorder. ADAT was DOA at the time already. Couldn't ever get the machines to sync....
Old 28th February 2014
Here for the gear

worst gear purchase

Muse receptor. I paid $3,500.00 with Komplete and used it in the studio mostly. It was a pain to load it and eventually became obsolete unless i upgraded and paid another $1500.00 Now its dead. Customer service was horrible too.
Old 28th February 2014
nms
Lives for gear

I purchased a handful of magic beans from a man who promised they would grow into a giant bean stalk sprawling up into the clouds. All they grew was more beans.

Worst purchase ever.
Old 27th March 2014
A lawnmower was definitely the worst addition to my studio. The XLR connectors on it were rubbish. Had to use MIDI cables instead.

(did anyone understand the above?)

Seriously, I bought some very cheap mic cables, and I was pleasantly surprised when I was repeatedly shocked by phantom power being conducted through the mic body.
Old 28th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by keysmia View Post
Muse receptor. I paid $3,500.00 with Komplete and used it in the studio mostly. It was a pain to load it and eventually became obsolete unless i upgraded and paid another $1500.00 Now its dead. Customer service was horrible too.
What kind of Receptor was it?
Old 6th April 2014
1) Years ago, vst to rtas wrapper.. Never worked, later realized I don't even care. VST is pretty loosely regulated and most of the free stuff was unstable.

2) I hesitate saying this, but Komplete 8. I don't want to say it was the worst purchase, but more of a very expense purchase that I don't really use often. I do use it from time to time.. Massive for one random rap track element, kontakt for a midi patch. But I'm mostly using presets, as I suck at synthesis. Now I will say, I do use the free supercharger a lot and I just got my transient master standalone a few days ago after finding out they made it a plug and emailing NI. THIS is gold. Stuck it on my snare and tom tracks and was instantly amazed with the results. I wouldn't of gotten the standalone for free if I hasn't owned K8. And I still may buy the update to Supercharger GT... But as for most of Komplete, I don't use it. I am digging their utilities plugs A LOT though, more than their VIs. Can't wait to see what else they come out with in terms of compressors and EQs.
Old 6th April 2014
Here for the gear

Cool

1. AKG C1000
2. MXL 603
3. another SM58
4. Focusrite "Mixing Suite" (Still not sure whether this product was meant seriously)
5. Audio Technica ATH-50 WH Headphones (would be cool if they sounded as good as they look)

Still more to come I guess…
Old 6th April 2014
Gear Addict

Microkorg. It probably doesn't sound as bad but you can't change **** in the presets because it has a truly horrible menu system. I should have gotten an MS2000, if I knew at the time.
Old 3rd May 2014
Gear Head

Dud gear everywhere

death

My 2 cents.
Onyx. 1620 / 1640. And the "i" follow ups. Brittle board, common failure in the summing board (one big octal controlled pos) and the headphone amp and out put amp are one board.....one which has failed TWICE on my 1640. Woohoo mackie. Nice job you engineering goofs. If I start on the FW card the produced for these then I will ramble vulgarities for another 2 pages.

P T. Yes, You heard me right. The fail here is the idea that software and hardware MUST be tied to one another.....like .wav files are so special. Wav is wav is wav. I don't care if it's on Mac or PC or Linux......a wav is a wav.

Microsoft. Yes....they do suck
Old 5th May 2014
Gear Head
M-Audio Keystation 88es.

Absolute CRAP!

Sold it and the buyer sold it also a week later!

(posted on the same site a week later using the pictures i had sent to him!)
Old 5th May 2014
Lives for gear

KRK Rokit RP6 total mud!!
Old 6th May 2014
Lives for gear

Purchased a used OD-100 c.a.e. from GC.
For starters..I hate saying anything bad about a company that for the most part is probably ok but even better if you are a known celebrity or you spent fortune already and they know you.
Custom Audio Amplifiers(Suhr amps) has way below average customer service for a small company with a 3k GTR amp.
.I just wanted a footswitch...for an OD-100 ml+
I call....I call..again....I leave messages...
They don't return calls.
After finally talking to someone they passed the buck to another employee who failed to call back to finalize the order.
This happend over 2 weeks and few calls.No overwhelming amount of nagging.

In the interim ,the amp stopped working completely for no reason in a studio. !!!!!Died!!!!...Nothing....WTF?

Iv'e never had an amp totally shut off unless under sever conditions.
This was low level playing in a very stable home studio.
Checked fuse..not the fuse...who knows.No smell...

Purchased the amp used at G.C . and was under my 30 days

Full refund...WHEW

It was decent amp and I was still getting to know it but it must be reliable!!!
Old 7th May 2014
I can officially add the Avid Artist Control to this list. Didn't work out of the box. I got an answer to fixing it from Avid Support, but because it crashed in the middle of updating the firmware for the um-teenth time it is now a fancy looking brick... Joe is a sad panda.

May 18, 2014...
After a few months of troubleshooting it on my own - no help from Avid - I got the damn thing to work. I will say the documentation I've seen on this is the worst. If you plan on getting one and using it with Cubase 7+ message me and I can walk you through it since Avid Support is worthless.
Old 16th May 2014
Gear Guru

Creamware Pulsar card V1 ..deary me, could run about 2 synths before maxing out the cards dsp...
Old 16th May 2014
Lives for gear

I hate to say it but

DSI Evolver Keyboard - Why? bought it new and the knobs(encodes) were super jumpy.. Called DSI, and they sent me this lube.. I had to open up the synth, lube each holes. Great, it works .. Then 3 months later, open it up again and lube.. IT's ridiculous. Yes, I'm aware of the upgrade knobs but another 250.00? Umm no, I spent a grand on that synth with jumpy knobs.. I like it but it didn't like me I suppose. Sold it and now we have a BS2/Minibrute/Microbrute for the same price.

Oh I lubed again before I sold it.

Lastly,

MOPHO desktop - I never got used to those knobs. it sounded great but hard to edit.. and no I don't the editor.. I guess, I was expecting something different. However, I do believe MOPHO would be a good preset analog machine.
Old 29th July 2014
Cheap crap that I expected to sound like expensive gear. And it either broke or sounded like cheap crap or both. Wow... I know. Amazing it took me so long to learn to actually save up for quality gear that I'll now have for a LONG time. Cheap gear is cheap gear.

Except for my WA76s. Those things are cheap and ridiculously good.
Old 30th July 2014
Gear Nut

Back in the day I was one of the many victims of Jaz drives.

Also about 13 or 14 years ago I found some real CHEAP CDRs but within a couple years they had turned to SWISS CHEESE :P

the DAHMER 241 compressor... ripped your audio to shreds!!

Oh, and that M-audio mixer with firewire I/O, pops clicks buzzes and glitches, oh my! In general firewire has been a major headache for me, the communication goes down either right in the middle of a good take or right onstage!
Old 9th September 2014
Lives for gear

korg lca-120 tuner was quite expensive and it is difficult to tune, it is acting weird.
I find my self using the 10€ tuner more often.
Old 16th September 2014
Black Lion Audio AGB Compressor.
Old 20th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale116dot7 View Post
AKG C1000
Alesis 3630 (3 of them).
Alesis Studio32.
Finally someone mentions the Studio 32 one of the biggest turds to roll off the line!
Old 30th October 2014
Gear Head

Roland GAIA
Old 30th October 2014
Lives for gear

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, The Roland US122 interface. I saw more blue screens with that interface than I've ever seen with any piece of computer hardware!
What a piece of crap that was!
Old 6th December 2014
Roland Super JX-10

In 1986, I paid $2100 for one in hopes of writing some patch editor and librarian software.
Unfortunately, the SysEx was unusable and Roland never bothered to offer a fix for their customers.
I've always been amazed that Roland released the JX-10 without proper SysEx functionality.
It taught me an important lesson in my early days of buying synth gear... always do your research before giving money away to the man.

Ironically, in 1987, I sold my Super JX-10 and bought the rack mount version MKS-70 and it's been my favorite synth ever since.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search