The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Worst gear purchase?
Old 11th July 2005
Lives for gear

WORST BUYS-
Oberheim "auto-tune" plug-in. Does not work anything like the antares version. Plus, by opening one instance on one track, sometimes it will PERAMANENTLY apply the effect to one or more of the other tracks. Weird and "impossible" but very true, Stay away from this plug!

FOSTEX PM.05 monitors- lasted a few weeks before starting to buzz (busted cone), plus the frequency response chart looks like the rocky mountains and sounded like someone had pushed a 200Hz slider by 4db or more! Pure crap!

GEAR I LOVE THAT OTHERS HAVE HATED ON:

Rode NT1-a, MXL 603s, AKG d112, Cakewalk products ...
Old 11th July 2005
Gear Maniac

1. CAD E200 mic. What was I thinking?
2. Roland 1680 and the stupid cd burner that came with it that took a year and a half to burn a two minute song.
3. TLM 103, muddiness at its best.
4. Roland SRV3030. The worst sounding reverb machine ever!!!!!!!
5. Oh!, and let me not forget those precious HOSA snake cables that wired up all of tihis high end stuff!

BTW, the list goes on and on, but i'm just too embarassed to mention the other crap that I bought!
Old 11th July 2005
Gear Head

interesting, quite some of you here mentioned TLaudio, particularly C-1 comp. Since I heard from more than one pop producer/arranger I admire that this thing gives round/polished sound to commercial pop material, I am abit confused (and it is still priced pretty high on eBay).

Any clarification?
Old 11th August 2005
Gear Nut

AKG C1000S ---actually i love it. read on.

pretty much sucks for recording, HOWEVER i would like to add that now that i don't use it for real recording it is one of my MOST used mics since it can be powered by a 48V battery. it is basically the only mic that works well with my yamaha mt4x 4-track that i use for recording song ideas. it has been a blessing since the crappy preamps cannot power a dynamic mic enough and it's a pain to have to deal with phantom power to get a good mic level.
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

1. Drumkit From Hell 2-bought it right before BFD or DFH superior came out...can't access the samples...horrible horrible interface...used it on ONE project.

2. Alesis D4-bought it to trigger drums off of....kicks were only thing useful...power supply crapped out after a WEEK!! (SERIOUSLY)...now...using it for a click track ONLY when people don't like digi click.

3. Logic 7.0-yes it's an amasing piece of software. But for my system it was terrible (g5 dual 2.5, 8 gig ram, OS 10.4), probably due to my TDM hardware (HD..uhh..5?) To this day it won't consistantly boot/run TDM hardware.
Old 11th August 2005
Gear Addict

Behringer 8 channel denoiser. I don´t remember the real name. They should have called it Behringer ultra-hi-freq-killer-8 or something.

And I also own a AKG C1000. It has definately some occasions, where it shines. I´m still trying to find out what they are

Cheers,
Bill
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_F_H_13
1. Drumkit From Hell 2-bought it right before BFD or DFH superior came out...can't access the samples...horrible horrible interface...used it on ONE project.

2. Alesis D4-bought it to trigger drums off of....kicks were only thing useful...power supply crapped out after a WEEK!! (SERIOUSLY)...now...using it for a click track ONLY when people don't like digi click.

3. Logic 7.0-yes it's an amasing piece of software. But for my system it was terrible (g5 dual 2.5, 8 gig ram, OS 10.4), probably due to my TDM hardware (HD..uhh..5?) To this day it won't consistantly boot/run TDM hardware.
have you gotten the logic update to 7.1? the price is minimal if you have 7.0

not sure about tdm issues but check out this site...might well bring it back from the dead for you....

http://community.sonikmatter.com/for...p?showforum=52
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinc
Not one but TWO adats here. Twice the stupidity. I even bought the second one thinking the first one was a dud and I`d have less problems with the second. No such luck. ERROR ERROR ERROR. Every 2 weeks the pieces of **** needed another repair.
3 ADAT XT20s..all three ended up needing headstack replacements AFTER the warranty period was up.

Yammie 02R V. 1 - not inherently bad but the gear pimp who steered me to my first Pro Tools system (Mix Plus) didn't explain how I couldn't use the PT rig at 24 bits thru the 20 bit 02R, which ended up being used as a $10,000 stereo. A ****ty welcome to the brave new world of "pro" digital recording.
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

1 . Behringer MX8000 8 bus mixer - Can you believe I turned down a Mackie 8bus to buy this mixer (and save myself a whopping $1000 Aussie Dollars in the price difference).

2. A made in Korea Epiphone SG copy- it simply wouldnt stay in tune- awful, awful guitar.

3. Alesis Monitors - WHERE THE **** DID ANYTHING UNDER 200HZ GO?

JR
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

tc fireworkx - you always hear 2 parts of the sound, the source + the poor efect. its cold plastic, piece of ****. ( but good interface)

spl qure eq - aahh....eehh.... never sounds right, phasy.

dbx166a - cant belive i did spend money for that....
Old 12th August 2005
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPA FROST
3. TLM 103, muddiness at its best.
I'd say you had a bum 103 if you thought is was muddy, it's a fairly bright and detailed sucker with a super low noise floor.

War
Old 12th August 2005
krs
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aearth
Neumann M147.........my cheap Studio Projects T3 poops on it.

Nick
say what?
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

Korg 3300 triple delay
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

Kawia K4R-WTF???? I could have played spoons and rubber bands and had better synth sounds.

Logic Audio-This one really hurt. Luckily some people actually like it and I got my money back.

A PC running Windoze for audio-Lost a bunch, got smart, saved my money and bought a Mac. Ahhhh...it's great when a product actually works.

Overall I haven't made to many bad purchases. Probably because I couldn't afford to buy gear without doing my homework. Lucky me....I think.
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Maniac

My TLM103 hasn't sounded the same since I don't have the True Systems 8 mic pre anymore. Maybe the TS used some variation of voltage and impedance. who the hell knows, but it sounds ok.

Someone said muddy, but I don't think that is true at all.

I actually think there might be something wrong with mine because it has a lot of noise. Maybe its my ****ty mic pre. Is a PreSonus MP20 REEEEEALLY BAD or just kinda bad?
Seemed good when I was first getting into it.

Behringer AUTOCOM.. what a piece of f*&king garbage. So far, thats the worst purchase. 2nd was Monitor Ones.
Old 12th August 2005
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarsland
Is a PreSonus MP20 REEEEEALLY BAD or just kinda bad?
We did a little pre shootout at a local studio recently, and the MP20 lost to everything including a Rane MS1B. It sure sounded as far away from special as it could get that day. Some people like 'em, go figure.

War
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

Thumbs down

Amek 9098 DMA
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagg
interesting, quite some of you here mentioned TLaudio, particularly C-1 comp. Since I heard from more than one pop producer/arranger I admire that this thing gives round/polished sound to commercial pop material, I am abit confused (and it is still priced pretty high on eBay).

Any clarification?

I'll agree with the bad experience votes. I dunno if it was my worst purchase ever. That cute girl who happened to be a cop comes to mind, but as far as compressors and mic pres go, I havent heard one of either of those I liked less than the C-1. For me, they were utterly non-useable...

I suppose if you were running abunchof sampled stuff DI and needed a cardboard sheild to 'round/polish' things up, then I can see what yer pop producers could be sayin.
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

Wait a second... Are we talking about the Alan Smart C-1 or the Studio Projects C-1?
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

Trident S100
Old 12th August 2005

studio projects C1. it actually didn't sound BAD bad for the couple of projects I used it on, but there was nasty distortion up around 13k on every voice i used it on. If it wasn't for that I may have kept it.
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by absrec
Amek 9098 DMA
What´s wrong with that ? The DMA is still on my check-it-out list...

Bill
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by briefcasemanx
studio projects C1. it actually didn't sound BAD bad for the couple of projects I used it on, but there was nasty distortion up around 13k on every voice i used it on. If it wasn't for that I may have kept it.
That distortion is because it has a 1272 output transformer. I tried that particular unit and thought it sounded decent until I A/Bed it with a UA 1176. It was no contest. Plus, the magic of the 1176, IMHO is not the 4 buttons in, but different combinations of 2 buttons in. The store that tried to sell it to me said it was the hottest thing going around L.A. Maybe they built it up too much. I got a 2nd Distressor instead and never looked back.
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billster
What´s wrong with that ? The DMA is still on my check-it-out list...

Bill
Don't waste your money. Take it from someone who has owned one.
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
That distortion is because it has a 1272 output transformer. I tried that particular unit and thought it sounded decent until I A/Bed it with a UA 1176.
What? The SP C1 is a MICROPHONE. Sheesh. Read what you're replying to!

Not sure I agree with a lot of the posts here - guys bitching about stuff like software they couldn't figure out, PCs that didn't "work". Yaknow, I've used Macs, PCs, hardware, etc and I've come to the conclusion that if I learned more of what the heck I was doing, I could make a great record with a Porta02 and a 57.
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAProTulz
What? The SP C1 is a MICROPHONE. Sheesh. Read what you're replying to!
Try not to be so hurtful with your comments. In all seriousness though, Studio Projects made a compressor that was modeled after the 1176 and tweaked in their own little way. Mabye it was called the C2? In fact, now that I think about it, that's exactly what it was. So forgive me, as I was truely reading and attempting to understand what was going on. At the same time, I get very confused by all of this "project studio" gear. I sometimes get Studio Projects and Studio Electronics mixed up, for example. But something tells me this is a topic recently discussed on another thread. Something about "a plea to stop making project studio gear". hhhmmm........ maybe I'll go there next!
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Try not to be so hurtful with your comments.
Sorry, I was a little hot after reading a lot of the "it sucked cause I couldn't figure out how it worked" type of comments. Sure, there's plenty of truly ****ty gear listed here, but yaknow, they're just tools. Just having a Bobcat doesn't mean you know how to build a retaining wall, yaknow.
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAProTulz
Sorry, I was a little hot after reading a lot of the "it sucked cause I couldn't figure out how it worked" type of comments. Sure, there's plenty of truly ****ty gear listed here, but yaknow, they're just tools. Just having a Bobcat doesn't mean you know how to build a retaining wall, yaknow.
I wasn't seriously offended. I truely mistook one product for another.
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

1) Tascam 38 (1/2" 8-track). This baby actually sounded quite nice on the rare occasions when it was working. I bought it for about $1000, spent several hundred more trying to fix it, and ended up dumping it for $500 (and feeling guilty about taking that much).

2) ADAT blackface. Unlike the Tascam, this one sounded best when it *wasn't* working. Which was often.

3) Behringer stereo 31-band graphic EQ (I forget the name, "ultra"-something). Absurdly noisy, and there's some kind of level discrepancy between the two channels. But the LED's on the sliders sure look cute. The sad part is, I knew better.

4) Samson Servo 240 power amp. One of the most inspiring days of my recording life was when I finally replaced this raggedy-arsed POS with a Hafler P3000 and discovered what my kick drum tracks (among other things) actually sounded like.
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Addict

1. Presonus firestation
2. ART DI/0 tube preamp--OMG

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search