The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Worst gear purchase?
Old 9th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitrax View Post
OMG, where do I start?

Line6 POD Pro: range of tone goes all the way from heavy metal to heavy metal

Akai A-DAMs: Almost $10K for 24 tracks (2 machines, plus a $350 two-foot sync cable) and you got 17 minutes on two tapes (one in each transport), if you could find 'em! Plus moving two 80 lb transports, two meter bridges and 20 lbs of (connecting) cables to do a remote was torture

Trident S-20: Close to a grand(!!) for an 8-pin op amp chip masquerading as a mic pre - couldn't believe it when I opened up that thing!

ART Tube Pre (the little $100 one that looks like a direct box with an erection): Plate-starved AX7, transformer-less, and flavorless. Plus, all the headroom of a Yugo.

Yamaha SPX-900: This probably wouldn't have been a terrible piece of equipment if I hadn't bought it for reverb.

Eventide Eclipse: Okay, this one's actually a pretty cool piece, but I'm including it here 'cause it's supposed to be a 96K effect unit, and less than 1/4 of the presets support it.

Audio Technica "Digital Reference" Series microphones: I got a couple 'cause they were dirt cheap; now I see why. The microphone on my son's Fisher Price tape recorder actually outperformed the DRVX-1, and they had all the reach of an oompa-loompa in a straitjacket - (should have been advertised as "contact mics"!)

Any of the Focusrite "Platinum" series: I had an OctoPre with the digital out card - the mic pre's in my old Fostex 8-channel mixer sounded better, as did the converters in my Tascam CD burner.

Last (but not least), (any of the new) Danelectro Guitars: What's the difference between a Dan'o and a banjo?
The banjo sustains longer.

In COMPLETE agreement on the horrendous Akai A-DAM system, on the Line 6 Pod (the non "Pro" version I always found had also as many as one extra useable clean-ish sound...just one) and the little Art tube pre.
But the SPX 900 is a classic for some uses, e.g. the "Symphonic" program for guitsrs/BVs, and some of the reverbs, including the gated/reverse, are snareverb deluxe, always have been & will be, when & if U're after not a "room simulation" (they are way too primitive and dirty for that), but an "effect reverb", one that might sound crappy or weird on its' own, but will cut through and play a surprising part in a mix.
Also, the Danelectro guitars are legends in their own right - check Syd Barrett, Eric Clapton, Richie Sambora, Mike Cambell or Jimmy Page, ahemmm - of course they are not Rolls Royces nor sustain or butter machines, but their own weird, plasticky nature not only gives an unique sound, but make the guitarist play & react to them differently, which is quite a precious production feature, if U ask me.
In the Focusrite Platinum series (U're right, the preamps are...er...) there are two gems: a little gem with monster balls for low frequency rich instruments - the Compounder, and a huge gem with one of the sweetest stereo eqs and a mixing magic trick 3 band opto comp with a gorgeous inductor crossover bump for the low end - the Mixmaster.
Check them out, if the occasion arises...

A
F
Old 22nd April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astralform View Post
Cubase Audio for the Atari Falcon. This software was $500 and had more bombs than WWII. What a buggy POS it was. A friend of mine took pity on me and gave me the cracked version...it ran better than the real thing! I even paid $200 for the bugfix/update 2.0 version which was an improvement but still sucked. When I sold the Falcon a few months later I got my money back but took a bath on the Steinborg crap. To this day they have never gotten another dime from me. It's a good thing I didn't live in Germany because I would have been tempted to run these guys down in the parking lot as they walked to their cars...
It was a bit crashy, but I got a lot of work done on mine. It was one of the best purchases I made.. At the time there was nothing like it!

The key was getting the clock mod done properly, and running a different hard disk driver. It was a lot more stable then. What a cool system for the time!
Old 29th April 2013
Gear Nut

Novation Mininova!

the sounds are so thin its always the waekpoint in my productions.

i wish i had saved the cash for something analog.
Old 2nd May 2013
Gear Maniac

Yamaha SU10 total waste of £300 gutted. Virtually unusable. I only ever used it in one track, and that was just 1 sample for a LoFi effect. I was surprised when I sold it that I actually got £100 back in it.
Old 3rd May 2013
Here for the gear

Line 6 Spider 2x12 combo. Garbage!
Old 7th May 2013
Here for the gear

- Alesis MultiMix 8 Firewire
- BBE Sonic Maximizer
- MXL 2001 w/ 603 condenser mic pack
- A few plastic Behringer guitar pedal just for parts
- Hosa 8-ch unbalanced 1/4" snake & many other cheap cables and mic stands
- Someone gave me a Behringer PX-2000 unbalanced patchbay, now I just use it as a 1/4" cable holder for idle cables, (I'll admit it does make a good waste of 1RU cable holder). Luckily, no $$ was spent on that.
- the list continues... ehhhhh....

I prefer to not think about these things, good thing they all didn't cost much, but they do add up.

Last edited by Crouton Forest; 7th May 2013 at 12:49 AM.. Reason: I wrong "Guitars" when I ment to write "guitar pedals"
Old 11th May 2013
Lud
Gear Addict

Tascam 2488 neo. I realised quite fast that i had made a mistake. Having fun with this thing is a mistery to me. I was glad to resell it.
Old 11th May 2013
Gear Addict

Focusrite Voicemaster Pro. The pre wasn't bad for the price or the year I got it. But the wiring is awful. I'm now paying a tech to re-solder all the knobs on the front face. Never buying Focusrite products again...
Old 11th May 2013
teo
Lives for gear

I bought the Waves CLA vocals plugin. And it's actually quite nice for quick and dirty vocal treatment: compression, some eq, slapback (would not use the reverb though).

Well, the fvuckin' thing cannot be used on a send, it only works as an insert. So it's pretty much useless to me.
Waves, if you are listening...WHY???
Old 11th May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdstreets View Post
Never buying Focusrite products again...
The old stuff is awesome and rock solid. ISA-110, ISA-215, etc.
Old 12th May 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesicily View Post
The old stuff is awesome and rock solid. ISA-110, ISA-215, etc.
I hear ya. And I understand this is their low end stuff. But really. Can't they at least get the wiring right?
Old 12th May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdstreets View Post
Can't they at least get the wiring right?
One would think.
Old 12th May 2013
Tascam Porta 07 cassette multitrack recorder. If you ever get the chance to buy one, DON'T. This is the one Tascam made to crap specifications. Very easy to break and hard to fix; doesn't even have a polarity protection diode.
Old 13th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDanielsBass View Post
Line 6 Spider 2x12 combo. Garbage!
that bad huh? shoot, i just recommended it to a good friend who is not a pro, but a good player who wanted a variety of sounds easily (and moves around a lot, so a lot of boutique amps are not really the solution).... I have had decent luck in the past with their jack of all trades amps (going back to the ax212), and while line6 isn't going to cut it for the Jack White crew, it seemed like a decent way to get 88% there without a lotta fuss. What was it about it that was a total letdown?

but for me, would have to be the behringer fcb1010 (?) footpedal.... talk about a clusterfrack to make work easily as it should....
Old 13th May 2013
Lives for gear

almost forgot: focusrite liquid mix .... never worked really well, never sounded really great, cost a lot, looks pretty, worth little now.... pulled it out 6 months ago to try and justify my idiocy in the purchase.... same headache...

best for me the last few years: krk vxt8's.... apogee ensemble (yes now discontinued, and i was never a converter snob, but wow, does it rock...)...
Old 13th May 2013
Lives for gear

Almost anything I ever had made by Behringer (MicPre; a little mixer, reverb, compressor) nothing worked like I would want it, lot of internal noise and ****ty finish...

Funny enough, an older 8 channel ADDA by RME, (it's quite a few years ago). It was OK but so sterile, I brought it back, got Creamware and some money back, and love the Creamware to this day.
Old 13th May 2013
Lives for gear

Half my plugins...
Old 13th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
Half my plugins...
LOL
Old 13th May 2013
Lives for gear

Ibanez BTB 205 5 String... No bueno.
Old 13th May 2013
Gear Maniac

This thread makes us look like a bunch of spoiled brats.
Old 16th May 2013
Here for the gear

MOTU Ultralite MK3 hybrid: windows 7 drivers are garbage.

It's a $600 middle finger every morning I walk into the office and see it sitting in its box...
Old 16th May 2013
Gear Addict

Bricasti M7 Fan is super noisy - they want another $2200 so I can put it in my machine room.
Paid $4000.00 for a $2000.00 reverb Absolutely sounds NO better than my PCM 96, 960L.
My Eventide 8000 crushes the M7.
My worst gear purchase ever.
Old 16th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by passmore View Post
My Eventide 8000 crushes the M7
For a second there I was taking you seriously...
Old 16th May 2013
Gear Nut

In the past:
- Roland S50 a digital sampler that did never work (perhaps it was my model that was faulty)
- Roland D110 because it had very skimpy sounds and it was a LA synthesizer miles away from the D-50
- Fostex A8 multitrack recorder and 450 8:4:2 analog mixer. Bought due to low budget reasons, but their sound quality was lame.
- Fostex 4050 autolocator: a too complex item to manage few tracks with a preliminary users manual full of conceptual errors and mistakes
Recently:
- Korg TR76 and EXB-SMPL. I bought it in place of a Triton Extreme due to a low budget, but it was a mistake because TR is slow loading sounds and samples and sounds like a crippled and skimpy Extreme. In a word, wasted money
Old 16th May 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by syra View Post
For a second there I was taking you seriously...
Seriously....
Old 16th May 2013
Gear Guru

I have about $2400 worth of EW Play products that I will have to sit on forever and regret ever buying.
Old 16th May 2013
Lives for gear

native instruments kore anyone?
Old 20th May 2013
Lives for gear
1000s is a decent mic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
I have read a few comments about the AKG 1000s being a bad tool, i do not find that to be true.....I had used 2 of them in the past that a school owns for there chorus events and i thought they were decent, however i went out and bought 2 for whatever i wanted to use them for, 1st i mic a hi hat and it sounded just like the hi hat, i tried the snare and it gave it tons of life, yes ive always used a 57 on the snare, to make things short i own U87s ,414s, and groove tube mics as well, along with 421 and d112 for drums etc, i have all great mics with great Neve pres to run them. I just cannot believe the trash you guys are talking about the 1000s, those are great mics and true at that, great flat sound.
If i were you i would give them a second listen, (with good pres) and you might just change your mind. My hat is off to AKG, i have not found a bad sounding mic from them guys yet...
I had a pair of 1000S. as starter mics to record and entier room, be overheads or acustic guitar, it is a decent mic with well rounded sound.

The origional C1000's were bad, the design was upgraded about 1991 to the 1000S making it a decent mic. Has two patterns as well with a small adapter.
Old 20th May 2013
Lives for gear
Worst equipment
Beringer Digital EQ. was a decent real time analizer, but I would not let it touch the sound.
presonus firebox-dont think the firewire word clock was ever set up right.

here is a good mixed bag worst item:
Grace 801 Mic pre amps. I had 16 channel going into ADATS. cant change level without getting a click durring remote recordings. Was the wrong choice of preamp for the old 18 bit converterson adats. if I could get the levels right...man did they sound good.
Old 23rd May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by passmore View Post
Bricasti M7 Fan is super noisy - they want another $2200 so I can put it in my machine room.
Paid $4000.00 for a $2000.00 reverb Absolutely sounds NO better than my PCM 96, 960L.
My Eventide 8000 crushes the M7.
My worst gear purchase ever.
I've never heard the fan on my M7 - it's very quiet. You should contact Casey about yours. The Bricasti is totally different than any Eventide or Lexicon reverbs, and that's one of its many attractions. Why didn't you return it when you learned it wasn't for you? I was hooked after 3 days and knew it was never going back :-) LOVE that M7!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search